Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins vs Eagles FINAL

JimmiJo

I don't agree with this.  Skins played well.  Birds missed two uncharacteristic field goals, but the penalties and such are on them.

This was not a game where the skins were outplayed and should not have won.  I am not saying they were the best team on the field, but the ball bounces your way during the season as it bounces away as well.

Eagles had 500 yards, we had 300, they  converted over 50% on 3rd down. We were outplayed everywhere except the scoreboard but the scoreboard is what's most important. I did think that they got some real cheap calls but we've been getting those all year.

I'm still very frustrated by Jays play calling.

But I'll take a win however I can get it.

Nice to see Griff context deep to DJack

To me he's trying not to put Griffin in 3rd and long. He was conservative but  it's the only way this offense can function right now.  

Rich Gannon calling the game today.. Lets see how many times he says Jim Haslett is a really good coordinator like he did a few weeks ago.   lol

Gannon said,"I wonder how many catches the Eagle tight end has to catch before Jim Hazlett double teams him. I think he has about 15 in a row." 

My take on the game was the same old story about Jim H pass defense stinking it up except for Breeland. I thought JG3 played well enough to keep it close but Sanchez looked better. I was watching the game with my daughter. I told her when we got the ball with 2 min to play, "here is where a good NFL qb has to drive the ball downfield and win the game." Robert went 3 and out and thoughts of another Jason Cambell went through my mind. Breeland and a penalty saved him.

Hey DG  (really just quoting your post to get your attention)

Question: did you notice that they ran almost zero R/O? Did I miss it?

I thought Griffin played really well, with the most traditional gane plan I've seen in a while.

Missed a few things, but overall, really played well.

But the play calling, and the complete lack if using Griffin as a dual threat was a little odd.

Thoughts?

Not just the lack of read-option but I found the overall gameplan/play calling was average at best.

And yeah they didn't run any read-option iirc. Jay isn't in to r-o never has been and only sprinkles it when he calls it.

Jay's r-o plays are 'stand alone' plays that aren't integrated into a larger whole within the offense. So I understand when he doesn't call, he doesn't like to because it gets him away from 'his' offense.

Jay called a primarily drop back passing game.

Jay didn't call much bootleg/roll out either.

Jay doesn't call much max protect play-action.

Jay doesn't repeat concepts that work. Not just from game to game but during the game.

E.g. "All Go Choice" or "All Seams"

E.g. Jay didn't dial up the play-action skinny post/dig route that Griffin can throw in his sleep.

If Joe was coaching this team i have to believe the play-action skinny post/dig would be a staple of the passing game that he would run several times during the course of game disguised by different formations with different motions and shifts.

Hardly called any 1st down passes AND when he did call 1st down play-action it was from different formations as the base 1st down run tendency that he established. Also iirc only once did Jay call back-to-back 1st down run followed by 2nd down run. Which imho is a HUGE aspect of the offense that he misses out on. 2nd down runs allow for 2nd down play-action as opposed to know where any smart DC considers 2nd down vs Jay as a passing down only, which makes it harder to pass and get the match-ups in our favor. Also 2nd down runs can help keep the run/pass ratio balanced in the event of 1st down passes. This drives me nuts.

Didn't dial up many WR screens. (never dialed up TE screen that I recall and we have 2 athletic TEs)

For as dynamic as our WR are as runners you would think Jay would spend a lot of time putting together    

numerous and creative WR screen plays/concepts.

But, I'm happy that we won and the gameplan called for run balance; I'm also happy that Djax was targeted deep 3 times. I think we should target Djax deep at least 5 times a game.

Not just the lack of read-option but I found the overall gameplan/play calling was average at best.

And yeah they didn't run any read-option iirc. Jay isn't in to r-o never has been and only sprinkles it when he calls it.

Jay's r-o plays are 'stand alone' plays that aren't integrated into a larger whole within the offense. So I understand when he doesn't call, he doesn't like to because it gets him away from 'his' offense.

Jay called a primarily drop back passing game.

Jay didn't call much bootleg/roll out either.

Jay doesn't call much max protect play-action.

Jay doesn't repeat concepts that work. Not just from game to game but during the game.

E.g. "All Go Choice" or "All Seams"

E.g. Jay didn't dial up the play-action skinny post/dig route that Griffin can throw in his sleep.

If Joe was coaching this team i have to believe the play-action skinny post/dig would be a staple of the passing game that he would run several times during the course of game disguised by different formations with different motions and shifts.

Hardly called any 1st down passes AND when he did call 1st down play-action it was from different formations as the base 1st down run tendency that he established. Also iirc only once did Jay call back-to-back 1st down run followed by 2nd down run. Which imho is a HUGE aspect of the offense that he misses out on. 2nd down runs allow for 2nd down play-action as opposed to know where any smart DC considers 2nd down vs Jay as a passing down only, which makes it harder to pass and get the match-ups in our favor. Also 2nd down runs can help keep the run/pass ratio balanced in the event of 1st down passes. This drives me nuts.

Didn't dial up many WR screens. (never dialed up TE screen that I recall and we have 2 athletic TEs)

For as dynamic as our WR are as runners you would think Jay would spend a lot of time putting together    

numerous and creative WR screen plays/concepts.

But, I'm happy that we won and the gameplan called for run balance; I'm also happy that Djax was targeted deep 3 times. I think we should target Djax deep at least 5 times a game.

You're hired.

Sigh.

First drive: FG

Second Drive: TD

Third Drive: punt (dropped first down by Andre Roberts)

Forth Drive: punt (three pass attempts)

Fifth Drive: TD

Sixth Drive: TD

Seventh Drive: int (three pass attempts)

Eighth Drive: punt (run, screen, deep on last series of drive)

Ninth Drive: FG to win.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I think we ran on 1st down the first 8 times of the game, then passed out of a different set. However, I think on the 10th first down, we went P/A put of the standard set. Ended up being a scramble. Couldn't see what was going on down field.

I get that a 4-3 is harder to bootleg on, but we rarely got Griffin on the move. To the point I wonder if he's struggling with accuracy in practice, because it's such an aversion.

Dunno. I'd ideally like to see some QB keepers on some way just to give the defense something else to think about.

But eh, whatever. We won. I liked some stuff. But thought the lack of Griffin as a run threat was odd.

Gannon said,"I wonder how many catches the Eagle tight end has to catch before Jim Hazlett double teams him. I think he has about 15 in a row."

That occurred in the 3rd or 4th quarter and was preceded by 3 quarters of ass kissing.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I think we ran on 1st down the first 8 times of the game, then passed out of a different set. However, I think on the 10th first down, we went P/A put of the standard set. Ended up being a scramble. Couldn't see what was going on down field.

I get that a 4-3 is harder to bootleg on, but we rarely got Griffin on the move. To the point I wonder if he's struggling with accuracy in practice, because it's such an aversion.

Dunno. I'd ideally like to see some QB keepers on some way just to give the defense something else to think about.

But eh, whatever. We won. I liked some stuff. But thought the lack of Griffin as a run threat was odd.

I don't think Jay is BSing when he says ~'they're still searching' for what plays Griffin likes etc. And I have to admit I do question Jay's level of interest in doing so...this is something they should have been working through during preseason to still be 'searching' with 2 weeks left imho makes me think Jay's approach wasn't catered towards adapting. It seemed more like ~'this is my offense' lets see who runs it best.

RE:Read-Option

...I also seriously doubt that Jay has any interest whatsoever in using Griffin as a run threat through the read-option. And I doubt if Jay knows how..its a completely different style of football then he's used to and I'm sure in his mind it takes away from how he envisions his offense.

43 Bootlegs-

I think you have that mixed up. Its supposed to be easier to boot vs 43. My main gripe with the bootlegs and roll-out is 1. they seldom block the edge defender (even with Kirk and Colt) I know that they can chip or outright block them because sometimes they do it.

ALSO they almost always do a full bootleg when a half-boot/half-roll would work just fine.

I've said it before back when we were talking about the run game when Kirk was QB...I think Jay's lack of commitment and predictability/ lack creativity in the run game are reducing the efficiency and causing the offense to run at a sub-optimal level considering the pieces. Even without read-option concepts I think the offense could be much better if it focused on being a Kubiac/Shanahan derivative Denver West Co based on outside zone run and deep downfield play-action and bootlegs. Use that offense as a bridge to his drop back passing game concepts. But I digress.....

Archived