Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaches Under Contract

DubMoney

I have looked all around the web and cant figure out what coaches are under contract for the next few seasons? Did McVay get a 5 year deal?  what about Ben Kotwica or Matt LaFleur what are they're deals like. For the most part Gruden didnt bring in a totally new staff on offense. Does anyone else find that strange?  Bruce could have easily spent money on a new staff but didnt. brought ina few new ppl. but for the most part didnt clean house on the offensive side of the ball at all. 

I have looked all around the web and cant figure out what coaches are under contract for the next few seasons? Did McVay get a 5 year deal?  what about Ben Kotwica or Matt LaFleur what are they're deals like. For the most part Gruden didnt bring in a totally new staff on offense. Does anyone else find that strange?  Bruce could have easily spent money on a new staff but didnt. brought ina few new ppl. but for the most part didnt clean house on the offensive side of the ball at all. 

I always wonder if there is a guy, or guys that Gruden wanted but weren't available.  It seemed strange to bring no one with him, player or coach that knew his system.  I don't remember that happening with anyone else in the NFL getting a HC job.  

We'll have to see how it plays out.  I don't know about contracts, but I do know it's not enough money to worry about.

I always wonder if there is a guy, or guys that Gruden wanted but weren't available.  It seemed strange to bring no one with him, player or coach that knew his system.  I don't remember that happening with anyone else in the NFL getting a HC job.  

We'll have to see how it plays out.  I don't know about contracts, but I do know it's not enough money to worry about.

He said he wanted somebody (I think the guy who ended up as the Bengal's DC) to be the DC here, but the Bengal's promoted him and he wasn't available.  

If we have ANY Coaches or FO guys still under contract after the Dallas finale then the cycle of crud will continue.

Hail.

There are a few coaches that are actually pretty good.  Kirk Olividoti, the OLB coach they brought in this year (Baker), I think Ike Hilliard has done well with the WRs.  

You have to be careful about tossing the baby out with the bath water.

What they need is to either promote McVay full time to OC and give him play-calling responsibilities, or get a new OC.  

New TE, OL, RB coaches.  

New DC, DL, Secondary coaches on defense.

You can retain the WR coach, and they should find a way to retain McVay.

In what way, shape or form have our receivers been anything to write home about this year?

Outside of the rwo # 1's we have next to nothing.

Hail.

Our WRs have not had the pleasure of consistent QB play to actually get them the ball. the only QB who seemed to spread the ball around was KC, however, he liked to spread the ball around to both sides of the ball. If we had average to even competent QB play, I am sure all of our WRs would be doing much better.

He said he wanted somebody (I think the guy who ended up as the Bengal's DC) to be the DC here, but the Bengal's promoted him and he wasn't available.  

There are a few coaches that are actually pretty good.  Kirk Olividoti, the OLB coach they brought in this year (Baker), I think Ike Hilliard has done well with the WRs.  

You have to be careful about tossing the baby out with the bath water.

What they need is to either promote McVay full time to OC and give him play-calling responsibilities, or get a new OC.  

New TE, OL, RB coaches.  

New DC, DL, Secondary coaches on defense.

Yes, I think I read that same report about Jay wanting to bring in the current DC from the Bengals.

I do agree with you, they need a new DC, DL, Secondary coaches but our LBs have been pretty decent. On offense, DEFINITELY a new OL, TE and RB coach.

If we have ANY Coaches or FO guys still under contract after the Dallas finale then the cycle of crud will continue.

Hail.

Not necessarily, but if they aren't retained by a new GM after he evaluates the entire organization, then you are correct. I can't imagine that every scout, coach, and player in the organization sucks. But we need a qualified person to perform the cleansing. 

Every coaching change and scheme change can set the team back to square 1.  Skins were fairly successful with the stretch zone blocking scheme under Shanahan and the OL coach.  But, when the team operates with TWO lighter pass catching TEs plus a WR that doesn't block then suddenly the blocking scheme isn't effective anymore.  It's really not the OL coach issue it's that the personnel don't match the characteristics needed to be effective.  I'd like Gruden and McVay to stay.  Gruden can evaluate the rest of the Offensive position coaches to see if their philosophy fits with his own.  IMO the rest of the offensive issues are personnel related. 

On Defense I'm ready to throw in the towel.  Get a new DC and let him pick who he wants to work with and whatever scheme he feels will maximize whatever talent he has and can likely be acquired in free agency/draft. 

The OC is supposed to hold the subordinate position coaches accountable to make sure the game day product works.

If a specific unit is struggling like TE and RB in pass protection it's the OCs job to help that position group coach to identify and fix or fix it himself.

But when your OC is a first timer not olny as an OC but in this offense AND has less experience then the position coaches? And oh btw he also doubles down as QBs coach (again for the first time in that role) Whaddya gonna do?

Lean on the HC. The HC knows the offense and therefore carries the burden of teaching it to the OC and position coaches. When a question pops up the HC is the only one on this roster that knows the details of the offense. The HC is also the only one on the roster with experience working with QBs.

I remember having a discussion in the offseason that Jay has a lot on his plate as a first time HC and time would tell if he had too much on his plate.

I think we have our answer now?

You know when this kind of topic comes up I can't help but think about the words thrown around when they bring in coaches to describe their soft skills.

"He's a well respected coach"

"He's great with players"

" He's a football guy"

" He's very talented"

"He comes from a football family"

"He's served in the military"

Just kind of funny how we're sold a bill of goods on unproven assistants.

In what way, shape or form have our receivers been anything to write home about this year?

Outside of the rwo # 1's we have next to nothing.

Hail.

lol.  what stats suggest that.  DJax has had huge games and so has Garcon.  Our wide-outs are the only truly NFL caliber unit on our team, every other unit of our team has a question mark outside of a player here or there.

Hail.

I do agree with you here.  I'd love to get Haurbaugh and see what he can do with griffin since he wants to be a RO coach. There are some good arguments the issues may go even higher though and that we won't win until a winning strategy is formulated and executed from an owner and football operations side.

I'm on DG's side here, thinking that finally, Jay has too much things to do. Sure McVay can help, but he's a first timer also at the position, and he do have a lot to learn as well.

Which should explain a lot of our offensive woes this year, regarding the coaching department.

So, a QB coach seems like an obligation next offseason.

DC, DB coaches needs new blood on those positions b/c it's quite crappy. We've got lots of newbies at the DB position, and we have to teach them.

Also, I would add looking for an upgrade in the Strength and Conditioning department. We're having too many injuries. Sure they'll happen anyway, but somehow it's their jobs to prevent it.

Archived