Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The unexpected threat to Super Bowl XLIX

Geoff_K

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-09/the-terrorism-risk-insurance-act-is-vital-to-the-super-bowl

slight possibility no super bowl if Congress does not renew legislation called  TRIA (the terrorism risk insurance act)

Now I don't see any way we wont see a super bowl, however there is a slight chance we wont see it.

*for some reason I was unable to copy and paste into this box.  is that normal ?

Are you ****ing kidding me? Insurance refuses to cover a terror attack without federal guarantees? The chances of a terror attack happening? WAY less than being in a car accident. Maybe car insurance should stop covering accidents on the interstates without federal guarantees. You get paid monthly just in case something happens. Now there is flood, hurricane, tornado, and terror clauses? So it isn't insurance anymore. Its "we might be there when you need us, unless we can figure out a way to blame you for not electing the proper clauses, which enables us to double or triple your premiums".

Meh ... under the proposal the insurance firms would be required to cover the first $50 Billion in claims. They share this risk among many firms for very major events.

The government involvement means that insurance companies don't have to price based on potentially unlimited liability, making the policies too expensive.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Insurance refuses to cover a terror attack without federal guarantees? The chances of a terror attack happening? WAY less than being in a car accident. Maybe car insurance should stop covering accidents on the interstates without federal guarantees.

Right, because the incidence rate is all that matters when it comes to the cost of underwriting an insurance policy.

:rolleyes:

Right, because the incidence rate is all that matters when it comes to the cost of underwriting an insurance policy.

:rolleyes:

Right, because insurance should be a compartment-ed, all-exclusive industry. :rolleyes:

So as a business, I need to have terror insurance, flood insurance, disaster insurance, earthquake insurance, hazard insurance, hurricane insurance, tornado insurance.... instead of buying hazard insurance, paying a single premium monthly for as long as I operate to protect me against loss. The **** outta here.

TRIA coverage, generally speaking, is a pretty cheap rider to a policy. Obviously the exposure level is going to play a large roll in that premium. For something like the Super Bowl...yeah. That will be pricey. The location, structure, and volume of people mean high risk for the insurer. For Susies Frozen Yogurt in Franklinville Montana, not much at all.

Archived