Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Explain to me the Butt Fumble

Westbrook36

BTW on the Aaron Brooks play-- could the RB who picked up the ball just throw it away?  He was definitely outside of the tackle box, and no one had thrown a forward pass yet.  It looks like he'd have to chuck it ~25 yards to get it back to the Line of Scrimmage.

BTW on the Aaron Brooks play-- could the RB who picked up the ball just throw it away?  He was definitely outside of the tackle box, and no one had thrown a forward pass yet.  It looks like he'd have to chuck it ~25 yards to get it back to the Line of Scrimmage.

I think the Brooks pass was ruled a fumble..so perhaps #26 couldn't pick it up and throw? IDK

BTW on the Aaron Brooks play-- could the RB who picked up the ball just throw it away? He was definitely outside of the tackle box, and no one had thrown a forward pass yet. It looks like he'd have to chuck it ~25 yards to get it back to the Line of Scrimmage.

Hmmm, never thought about that. I think you're right. Is it technically any different than a pitch on a HB Pass where the RB misses it and then picks it up and throws it to complete the play?

Btw, who is the RB on that? I immediately assumed Deuce McCalister but that's got to be waaaay too long ago to be him

Hmmm, never thought about that. I think you're right. Is it technically any different than a pitch on a HB Pass where the RB misses it and then picks it up and throws it to complete the play?

Btw, who is the RB on that? I immediately assumed Deuce McCalister but that's got to be waaaay too long ago to be him

Yup it was Deuce "only one c, two l's" McAllister ... backwards pass play against San Deigo was 2004.  McAllister entered the league in 2001 and retired 2008.  His career was cut a bit short by the injuries he suffered in 2005 and 2007.   He is 35 now and runs a car dealership.  

Yes since it wasn't a forwards pass, conceviabley he coudl have picked it up and thrown it away, but even outside the pocket the ball has to get back to the line of scrimmage or else its intentional grounding .... plus you run the risk of an interception 

I remember during the Steelers in 2006 something similiar happened, except it was a batched snap by the Sants center while they were in the shotgun formation near the Steelers goal line.   Deuce picked up it and ran into the end zone.   With all the trick plays Payton was running that year I was convinced it was designed, because Brees wasn't ready to receive the ball, but on the replay it was clearly just a botched play that Deuce happned to turn into a TD

Unfortunately this needs to be included as well

As bad as that was, there's been so many guys who've injured themselves celebrating in the years since, that I think we can retire it.  Frerotte at least scored on the play and only missed a half of football.  There's been two guys this year that tore ACLs celebrating a sack.

(Plus, I think most of us blame that tie on Michael Westbrook's OT brain fart).

Archived