Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder may have changed, but his head coach hiring formula hasn't. Will the results be the same?

Destino

Ok, well I heard he righted the ship when he hired Shanny.  Please let me know when it's ok to judge him.  Is it next year?  the followoing year?  Because I was sold a bill of goods when he was brought on board.  5 years in and still waiting to see some fruits of his labors.

As a fan you have the right to judge him whenever you want. I never wanted to hire Shanny. I liked the Bruce iring. If you want to judge Bruce based on the past 4 1/4 years, then go right ahead. I won't judge you for that. I'm just saying that I'm judging him based on right now going forward. Hopefully this is a moot conversation and Gruden becomes the coach we've been hoping for and we move toward greener pastures. We'll see.

People forget what a surly, rotten ole SOB Jack Kent Cooke was.  In fact, I'd guess that if you look at most billionaires esp. the self made ones... you'll find more rats than angels.

Agree, different eras for sure. 24hr. news cycle has been especially brutal on Snyder but still, I'm looking forward to the day he's gone.

This line, "And basically it came down to interviewing Jim Fassel and getting a list of who he wanted his staff to be and then hiring that staff," which began this discussion.

But you certainly know more than I.

No doubt.

EDIT:  In fact, the team was ready to name Fassell as the coach, but Dan got cold feet because we flipped out on here.

But that's just as much guessing on my part.

As a fan you have the right to judge him whenever you want. I never wanted to hire Shanny. I liked the Bruce iring. If you want to judge Bruce based on the past 4 1/4 years, then go right ahead. I won't judge you for that. I'm just saying that I'm judging him based on right now going forward. Hopefully this is a moot conversation and Gruden becomes the coach we've been hoping for and we move toward greener pastures. We'll see.

OK, just keep in mind our issues aren't with coaching, its with personnel.

Ted Lerner is the best owner of a pro sports franchise in DC.  Neither he or his son desperatley search for the spotlight. None have a blog or sue season tickets holders.  Instead, they hire very competent professionals and watch them do their jobs. Now in the 10th season in Washington, the Nationals are again in the post season and poised for a winning future.  Snyder never learned.

No doubt.

EDIT:  In fact, the team was ready to name Fassell as the coach, but Dan got cold feet because we flipped out on here.

But that's just as much guessing on my part.

Curious. For someone who knows so much, you start a laughable sentence with "In fact," then back off by saying you're just guessing.

Right.

I think no matter WHAT Danny does he'll NEVER be forgiven for his past sins by large portions of this fanbase so it's immaterial to even try defend him.

But yes, I hand on heart believe he has NOTHING to do with the football side and has developed into a pretty darn good owner. Save for the one thing he has left to do. Hire a proper football GM. That said, this new model is the closest thing to that he's done so he's moving in the right direction.

I appreciate I'm in a VERY small minority here but I don't have the issues with the owner many others have.

Hail.

So,.....you really think Danny had nothing to do with the drafting of RG3?

But as far as your comments on Vinny, its not as much about the low bar, its more about what (in my opinion) is bringing this team back to being a legitimate franchise. Whether you think Allen is a personnel guy or not (and I'll agree that he's not), the fact that the final say for personnel is not all lying in one person (ala Shanny), and its not in some hypothetical conversation between Gibbs/Vinny/and Danny. Allen said that he has the final say on personnel, and so we can grade him on that aspect of the team. That's a big step forward.

I think Skins fans are too used to the 80s, and quick turnarounds. I look at what happened in SF, or in Seattle, or in Arizona, this is a process that usually goes through a few cycles of wash/rinse/repeat before finally getting a pairing that gets it right. People look at organizations like the Ravens and Steelers and watch how they replace one coach with another and just keep on winning, but that's not the norm.

I respect what your saying but I guess we disagree on what is a step forward. Just because one person has the final say now doesn't necessarily represent a step forward especially if that person is the wrong person to be making the decisions.

The 80's was awhile ago. I think we as Redskins fans are just sick of rooting for a embarrassing franchise like Washington. Snyder is at the root of all of this. His decisions are just baffling. I don't think he has gotten any better i.e. Allen and Shanahan were a package deal-The fact that Allen was promoted after Shanahan was fired just shows that Snyder still cant make proper football decisions. Hell half of Shanahan's failed coaching staff is still coaching here. That's pretty crazy.

Here is what I think:

I don't think Dan Snyder has ever watched a professional footballl game that did not involve the Redskins. And I think he makes a lot of decisions based on what he sees in those games. We raced to sign Desean Jackson (which no one is complaining about), but I don't think we were in the discussions on Emanuel Sanders (who Snyder probably doesn't knolw).

We are all speculating what is going on over there, and I don't think Snyder is Jerry Jones moving names up and down a board all day long. But I have to think that Snyder's personality is not the type that can just step away from the team completely. And it's weird that his front office guy would always be a close buddy if he didn't want some involvement.

Archived