Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Protests play out in streets after teen is fatally shot by police

Sticksboi05

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/08/michael_brown_witness_dorian_johnson_why_police_have_not_interviewed_him.php

Daily RFT asked St. Louis County police spokesman Brian Schellman why police haven't interviewed Johnson.

We have reached out to him and looked for him on numerous occasions. We've also contacted his friends," he said. "We reached out to his attorney's office, we put a call in to his attorney, and we're waiting on a return phone call."

Daily RFT asked Schellman to clarify whether or not they'd actually been to Johnson's house to try to find him, and he affirmed that officers had.

"We've been unsuccessful," he said.

Police acknowledged at a press conference yesterday that they haven't spoken to all the witnesses in the case.

"Frankly, we are still waiting to talk to some folks we think would have information," said St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar. "We need to understand that even detectives who are investigating right now don't have access to everything. There has not been a rush to judgment."

Daily RFT also called Bosley earlier today and left a message with his office. We'll update as soon as we know more.

but that's not how it works in our country. First, a person is accused of a crime, then there is an investigation and if there is probable cause, that person is arrested. The judicial system then determines if there is enough evidence for charges, and then someone is taken to court.

I'm sure there are plenty of times where someone 'smelled wrong', but that doesn't mean the cops arrest and prosecute him/her without due process. There are widely conflicting reports here, and they need to be sorted before anyone gets charged, much less prosecuted.

People do have a right to due process, the officer included.

Although I'll point out that the officer denied the suspect that right by acting as his judge, jury, and executioner. People also have a right to equal protection under the law, which doesn't seem to be given here.

I have to think there is enough evidence to press charges here. There is an unarmed man who was shot multiple times, multiple witnesses, and we know who shot him. That ought to be enough for an indictment, let a jury decide if there is enough evidence for a conviction.

One of my worries here is that law enforcement has a history of doing a lousy job of investigating itself. How many times have the police gotten away with murder because the police protect each other?

(examples: Amadou Diallo, Patrick Dorismund, Jonny Gammage, Jean Charles de Menezes, Oscar Grant, Mark Duggan).

Would you like to use this standard for everyone?

Meaning, can cops just arrest anyone they want, anytime they want and let the court decide the facts?

I havent seen anything specific to this case to make me think that the authorities are investigating properly and plan on bringing charges if warranted.

Not exactly what I'm saying. I didn't say arrest anyone you want anytime you want. I said to arrest someone who we know for a fact killed someone else.

I certainly think someone who shoots an unarmed person repeatedly (without provocation according to witnesses) should face criminal charges.

Why was the young man stopped in the first place?

The only witness in this case says the cop murdered him right? So why aren't they investigating this as a homicide? I'm pretty sure if I shot someone and witnesses said it was murder, police wouldn't just take my word for it. I'm not saying he should be charged but there is a difference between "internal investigation" and "investigating this death as a murder". Cops should get ZERO benefit of the doubt, treat everyone the same no matter what their job.

The only witness in this case says the cop murdered him right? So why aren't they investigating this as a homicide? I'm pretty sure if I shot someone and witnesses said it was murder, police wouldn't just take my word for it. I'm not saying he should be charged but there is a difference between "internal investigation" and "investigating this death as a murder". Cops should get ZERO benefit of the doubt, treat everyone the same no matter what their job.

Actually, mutiple witnesses say that the cop murdered him.

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/11/5988925/mike-brown-killing-shooting-case-ferguson-police-riots-st-louis

Multiple eyewitness accounts say that Brown was killed while attempting to surrender.

— Brown's friend Dorian Johnson, who was with Brown at the time, says that the two of them were walking in the middle of the street when a police car approached, and the officer told them to get on the sidewalk.

— Eyewitness Piaget Crenshaw says that Johnson, Brown and the officer got into a verbal confrontation, and the officer attempted to put Brown in the police car. When Brown began to flee, with his hands in the air, she says, the officer got out of the car and started shooting at Brown. (Crenshaw has photos of the shooting, which have been turned over to the police.)

—Another eyewitness told the press that the officer was in his car when he started shooting at the boys. (At least one shot was fired from the police car.)

Can we all agree that if Brown Jr had gotten out of the street he'd still be alive today?

Probably, but jaywalking isn't a capital offense.

Jaywalking.

Agreed.

Can we all agree that if Brown Jr had gotten out of the street he'd still be alive today?

So we should focus on that instead of someone apparently being shot with their hands up?  Can we all agree that someone ending up dead over a jaywalking incident is ridiculous?

So we should focus on that instead of someone apparently being shot with their hands up? Can we all agree that someone ending up dead over a jaywalking incident is ridiculous?

Key word: "apparently" (I would have used 'supposedly' though).

And there would have BEEN no incident, had he followed simple instructions. Correct?

At any rate, I'll just wait for all the facts to come out.

Something seems to be going down:

https://twitter.com/acarvin

Is anyone else near the Ferguson McDonalds who can describe what’s happening with journalists allegedly being cuffed?

8:04 PM

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/

Tried to get closer to confirm identities of reporters being arrested. Was marched at by cops in riot gear and threatened with arrest

8:00 PM

There's some speculation that the reporter whose twitter account I posted a link to earlier may have been arrested.

He tweeted 20 minutes ago:

Bu9PbM3CEAMplap.jpg

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly

SWAT just invade McDonald's where I'm working/recharging. Asked for ID when I took photo.  

Archived