Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Breaking-HD-Woodson-CB-Vincent-Flythe-Commits-to-Maryland-53279896

Breaking: HD Woodson CB Vincent Flythe Commits to Maryland

HD Woodson (DC) three-star cornerback Vincent Flythe has gone public with his Maryland commitment. After releasing a top six of Georgia, Louisville, Kentucky, Maryland, Temple and Wisconsin, Flythe told 247Sport earlier this week that “I’ll be furthering my academic and athletic career at the University of Maryland.” The 5-foot-11, 175-pound cornerback was a priority during the recruiting process and defensive backs coach Aazaar Abdul-Rahimmade that known during their conversations.

“Me and Aazaar talked like everyday,” Flythe added. “My relationship is great with coach Aazaar, that’s one of the main reasons why I’ll spend my college career at Maryland. Me and him have built something special with each other.” Flythe opted to make his commitment public on Friday afternoon, but admitted to be pondering the decision for some time.

Flythe and his teammates embarked on a week-long bus tour to camp at several schools, including Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky. Flythe told 247Sports that of all the visits, Kentucky was the one that stood out the most.

But even so, the Terrapins kept in touch with Flythe the entire trip and that made a difference for him. “I don’t know when I knew exactly, but Maryland was always big around me and my family. Maryland definitely kept in touch—that was a big factor.”

When it came time to sit down with his family, the hometown school had everything he needed—and the coach that he wanted. “Maryland is just a good fit. The coaches changed, everything is just on the up right now with Maryland. Aazaar is from the area just like me so I knew that we both grew up almost the exact same. I know he’s going to coach me hard, he’s going to push me hard to do the right thing. I know I’m going to further myself as both a person and a player.”

Next step, Flythe hopes him and his teammates are able to carry their success from high school to college. “Of course, I’ll be recruiting all of them. It’ll be the same as high school, we win now in high school and that’s the plan at Maryland, to win in college. If my teammates came too, it’s a wrap. I’ll be trying to recruit a lot of people outside of my teammates, trying to keep the DMV movement strong.”

“I think the people, the coaching staff, just everyone in the Maryland building. It feels good, like it’s a good vibe. It’s basically home for me.” Flythe becomes the fifth commitment in eight days and 13th overall. His commitment gives the Terps’ the nation’s 16th-best recruiting class and fifth-best in the Big Ten. He's a composite three-star recruit and rated an 85 by 247Sports.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Cole-Almost-Ready-for-Practice-Funding-Reaches-Milestone-53399820

Cole Almost Ready for Practice, Funding Reaches Milestone

Maryland football's indoor facility has made big strides.

The University of Maryland has raised two-thirds of the capital needed for its indoor football and academic facility at Cole Field House, according to a press release disseminated Friday.

According to the release, the school's generated more than $57 million in private donations and will $25 million in state funds for the project, which carries an estimated price tag of $155 million. Another $19 million will come from the school's athletics revenue. Under Armour founder Kevin Plank has contributed $25 million to his alma mater for the project.

The transition from storied basketball arena into state-of-the-art football facility overlooking Maryland Stadium has taken big strides during the past six months. The initial phase of the project, centering on the full-size indoor practice field, will be done at the end of July according to a school spokesman. The team will begin using the field regularly before then.

"When you walk in, it takes your breath away. It's unbelievable. It's the largest in the country when you talk about the height of it. We can punt, kick off, do everything in there," Maryland coach DJ Durkin said this week in a in interview with The Sports Junkies. "It really will be hard to find a better one. It's been a gamechanger for us already when guys come in here, in terms of recruiting ... [And] Our players are really, really excited seeing that go up."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I have an issue. 

I would rather have 5 star players. 

3 stars are in a situation.

Not coached or not talented enough.

We'd all rather have 5* players but how many are there?

Jones is a high 3*. He's a 4* on three of the four major recruiting sites.

He's just a few decimal points from being a consensus 4*

And as for talent, he's THE TRUTH.

Big receiver with GREAT speed.

Basically he's a PRO. :)

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Analysis-Darryl-Jones-commits-to-Maryland-Terrapins-105689956

Receiver room getting up to snuff for Maryland

The new Maryland staff has had to makeover just about the entire roster in trying to build it into a contender in the Big Ten East.

With each commitment, the Terrapins get a step closer.

On Tuesday DJ Durkin, Walt Bell, Chris Beatty and company’s work in the  receiver room continued in a big way with a commitment from Darryl Jones.

The Virginia Beach (Va.) Princess Anne playmaker is a blow the top off of the defense type receiver. Looking up and down the Terrapins roster they don’t have one of those guys that also brings the length the 6-foot-2, 180-pound Jones has.

Size and speed guys are a priority for the Terrapins who have a cupboard full of shifty smaller types but are missing talents like Jones.

The Terrapins rise three spots to No. 19 in the 247Sports Recruiting Rankings with Jones in the fold. He joins a class that also includes 6-foot-4 receiver Dontay Demus Jr. who brings a lot of similar traits to the table as Jones. Demus has more length but not the same speed as Jones who one source says “as fast as he is on tape he’s faster in person.” Both are integral pieces to the puzzle for the Maryland receiver room.

Durkin, Bell and Beatty have a couple more coveted prospects out there at the offensive skill positions. Local receiver Edward Hendrix is a major priority and tight end Chigoziem Okonkwo is the matchup nightmare, vertical threat missing at that position as well.

As the Terps continue working on a second-straight Top25 class, look for more good news before the sun sets 

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

http://scout.com/college/football/recruiting/Article/Four-star-WR-Darryl-Jones-will-bring-speed-quickness-and-big-pl-105688490?Notification.Success=You+have+successfully+logged+in!

4-star WR Jones will be explosive for Maryland

Maryland secured a huge commitment from Virginia Beach (Va.) Princess Anne wide receiver Darryl Jones Tuesday.

Rated: He is a four-star prospect.

Scouting report: Jones is an explosive playmaker on the outside.

At 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, Jones has good size and length. The Princess Anne standout is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

He gets off the line quickly and into his routes smoothly. Jones is a long strider and has very good speed. He does a nice job creating separation and is dangerous deep threat.

Jones also uses his big frame to his advantage and is a major red zone weapon. He displays good concentration and catches the ball well.

Like all prospects there are areas where he can improve. When it comes to Jones, he must continue to add weight and get stronger. This will help him against the physical defensive backs in the Big Ten. He must also continue to refine his route running.

However, neither is a major concern. Once he gets to Maryland, Jones should quickly improve in both areas.

Final thought: Jones is a major addition to the Terrapins' 2018 recruiting class.

It is important to note that Maryland continues to have success in the talent-rich Tidewater region of Virginia. The Terrapins signed four players from the area in 2017 and Jones joins quarterback Tyler DeSue in this class. Maryland is also in the mix for defensive tackle Jalen Alexander and inside linebacker Keshon Artis.

Jones has improved tremendously in the past year and is one of the top receivers in the East, but still has a very big upside. He has the size, speed and explosiveness that coaches covet at the collegiate level and beyond.

If he stays healthy and continue to develop, Jones should become big-time receiver at Maryland, and have a chance to play on Sundays.

Jones is the 17th commitment in Maryland's recruiting class.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Breaking-Maryland-Adds-Good-Counsel-Pass-Rusher-Tyler-Baylor-105670018

Breaking: Maryland Adds Good Counsel Pass-Rusher Tyler Baylor

Maryland closed well on Saturday and just three days later, they received the good news. Good Counsel (Md.) three-star defensive end Tyler Baylor has committed to Maryland over Pittsburgh and Kentucky. "I'm excited to say I'm going to the University of Maryland," Baylor told 247Sports on Monday. Baylor also held offers from Georgia, Louisville and North Carolina among others. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound defensive end was offered on March 4th and the staff coveted Baylor's upside, athleticism and long arms.

The Terps have stayed on top of Baylor since the offer and the local three-star target liked what the hometown team had to offer. "I’d say that Maryland and Kentucky make me feel like I’m one of their top prospects,” he told 247Sports on April 30th. "“I like the whole hometown movement; it’s good to have people behind you that’ve known you growing up supporting you so I like that. Coach [Jimmy] Brumbaugh is a good coach, too. He’s someone that’s put a lot of guys in the league and he’s engaging. I like what I’ve seen out of him."

After visiting Maryland for their July 29th barbeque, Baylor admitted that there was a chance he was going to suit up for the hometown team. "I kind of did, but I still wasn't 100% sure," Baylor told 247sports. "After me and my family talked to coach Durkin and everything, my family seemed to love it and I was always digging what they said, but that's when I knew it was the place I wanted to be." Baylor broke down why the hometown team won out in his recruitment.

"I always felt like Maryland was like the school for me because every time I went up there, I felt like I was at home. When I went up there this weekend for the barbeque, I just felt like that's where I wanted to be. I'm loving the direction of the program. I'm happy that coach Durkin is doing a lot more recruiting in the DMV area. He's trying to keep the talent at home and I can get down with that. I really think Maryland football has something special coming in the future."

Tyler, who's the grandson of NBA legend Elgin Baylor, becomes the 17th commitment of Maryland's 2018 class. Could more be on the way? Baylor is eyeing priority local target to join him in College Park. "As of right now, we're trying to get [McDonogh four-star defensive tackle] PJ Mustipher to go ahead and commit as well. As far as the 2019 class, I'm trying to recruit as much as I can from Good Counsel and make sure the boys stay home."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Proof will be in the year over year improvement on the field. But so far the things that Durkin and his staff have done compared to Randy are night/day. Being realistic. They are playing to win more games than last year and get into a bowl. They still have a long road to becoming the best program they can be. I like this path so far. Keeping local kids that other big programs usually get is step one. Then you need to put them together to take their lumps and improve.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I have an issue. 

I would rather have 5 star players. 

3 stars are in a situation.

Not coached or not talented enough.

There are only a handful of 5* and most major colleges don't get a whiff of them. They are the property of Alabama, OSU and a couple of others. Sometimes for odd reasons they fall to a school like MD.  

To be fair to the 5*, Alabama and OSU turn them into guaranteed 1st rounders so why would they go elsewhere?

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Analysis-Tyler-Baylor-commits-to-Maryland-Terrapins-105713402

247Sports Take: Baylor to Maryland

Maryland has added a lot of size across the board on defense over the span of three recruiting classes D.J. Durkin and his staff have been working it, including this one, but the one thing they’ve failed to hit on is that potential dynamic pass rusher.

Perhaps they hit big Tuesday night in Tyler Baylor.

The Olney (Md.) Good Counsel standout announced his verbal to the nearby Terrapins on Tuesday night over an offer list that included Georgia, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, North Carolina and Tennessee.

From the same high school as Jesse Aniebonam, one of the few edge rushers on the team, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Baylor has that kind of upside. He’s an explosive body type with long levers. When you make the model, they look like Baylor.

Baylor is very raw. The grandson of the great Elgin Baylor he naturally once fancied himself as a basketball player but football is where his ceiling is the highest.

Baylor has the traits to blossom into one of the Big Ten’s best hybrid linebackers.

With Baylor in the fold, Maryland’s class grows to 18 and ranks No. 18 nationally by 247Sports, good for No. 4 in the Big Ten.

Moving forward, Durkin and company would love to add Eyabi Anoma to the mix, the other primetime pass rusher coveted in the 2018 cycle.