Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm curious what the temperature was around Maryland boards about Haskins floating the idea of visiting Florida?  You think he's having second thoughts?  Everything he's been saying publicly up till then sounds great, but let's be honest, this whole "movement" thing hasn't really panned out the way it was planned, not yet at least.  There's been no traction in Virginia, one kid out of D.C., and another Maryland kid decided to head up to PA this past weekend.  I wonder if he's getting frustrated.

Diggs' choice between Maryland or Alabama is going to be huge.

Some Maryland fans were getting a little nervous but the mods from various Terps board say Haskins is solid.

Some Maryland fans were getting a little nervous but the mods from various Terps board say Haskins is solid.

I think he is as well, and he came back later and said he probably wouldn't because he knew Edsall's feelings on that sort of thing, I just wonder why he chose to say anything public at all?  Then again, I'm also not 18 and getting a ton of attention, so I'm in no real position to judge.

Getting the two TD's would be huge for you guys.

• Like 1

Actually, I want us to become Oregon East. Why not? We can't compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or Michigan State for recruiting without Plank/Under Armor. Money will go a long way to upgrading the facilities, which will make recruits want to come here. The next thing is winning. We don't win consistantly enough, so my next step is....

...I'd love to get a big time coach or assistant from a big time program to coach this team. Get a name guy in there and I think that helps recruiting immensely. That to me is the first step to being able to recruit. I'm still not sold on Randy. The team still plays mediocre, which is what kind of coach he is IMO.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 2

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Footballs-Most-Important-Players-No-10-Michael-Dunn-37969727

Maryland Football's Most Important Players: No. 10 Michael Dunn

Once again, Maryland’s offensive line will be key to its season and Michael Dunn, who has started 25 consecutive games, will be a big part of the Terps success. The former walk-on, now a junior, brings versatility to the table and will be able to be plugged in wherever Randy Edsall needs him.

As of now, with sophomore tackle Derwin Gray’s status questionable due to a shoulder surgery in the spring, Dunn is looking at protecting the quarterback’s blindside for the second year in a row. The 2014 all-Big Ten academic selection was solid, if not unspectacular, at left tackle last year blocking for C.J. Brown.

Like Gray, Dunn also missed the majority of spring practice with a back injury, and was moved back to the left tackle position in place of him before his injury. If Gray is able to return, Edsall will be able to take advantage of Dunn’s versatility -- he can also play guard -- and his value is in his ability to adjust quickly.

The Terps offensive line lost seniors Jake Wheeler and Sal Conaboy during the offseason, but could be much improved in its second year in the Big Ten. Maryland’s biggest adjustment to its new conference, you could argue, was with its starting five offensive lineman as they gave up 37 sacks and only averaged 3.7 yards per carry in the run game. Dunn, along with the emergence of rising sophomores like Gray, Damian Prince and Brendan Moore, will go a long way in determining how lethal the offense is.

The 6-foot-5, 300 pound offensive lineman is one of the leaders up front and also brings a ton of knowledge to the position. His durability has helped develop cohesiveness over the past couple of years.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Footballs-Most-Important-Players-No-9-Andrew-Zeller-37985272

Maryland Football's Most Important Players: No. 9 Andrew Zeller

On a Maryland football offensive line with many question marks, Andrew Zeller is perhaps the only complete certainty. The rising 6-foot-5, 315 pound senior is the emotional leader of the unit and is expected to start the season at right guard for the Terrapins for the second year in a row.

Between Derwin Gray, Michael Dunn, Evan Mulrooney and Damian Prince -- all who will compete for starting positions -- each of them either have health or position questions, some both. Zeller, who has logged starts to the right of the center since his redshirt freshman season in 2012, has proven to be both durable and talented; he’s the only member of the line to appear on Phil Steele’s all-conference teams, earning a fourth team mention this preseason.

The Westminster, Md native was an all-Big Ten academic selection last year and his smarts and character will make him the de facto leader on a young, but talented line as a senior. He’ll fill the veteran void left by center Sal Conaboy, serving on the leadership council, and also overseeing the line’s push in the weight room to get bigger going into their second Big Ten season.

Zeller started three games in each of his first two seasons in College Park and has made 17 consecutive starts at right guard. While there are more exciting talents looking to make a name for themselves up front in 2015, Zeller likely will be the most dependable on a week to week basis.

The offensive line as a whole may be more important for the Terps success than any other positional group.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Terps-Footballs-Most-Important-Players-No-8-Quinton-Jefferson-37982256

Terps Football's Most Important Players: No. 8 Quinton Jefferson

Last September, in Maryland’s third game of the year against Syracuse, junior defensive lineman Quinton Jefferson suffered an ACL injury that would sideline him for the rest of the season and into spring practice.

When he returns -- he’s expected to be healthy for fall camp -- he’ll be surrounded by many different faces and be lining up in a different technique. When Jefferson, now listed at 6-foot-3, 287 pounds, went down last fall, he was a starting defensive end alongside Darius Kilgo and Andre Monroe. In the 2015 season, his chance of a do-over as he was granted a medical redshirt, he’ll move inside to defensive tackle in the Terps new 4-3 defense and will be expected to make the transition quickly.

Monroe and Kilgo are both graduated now, as is Spencer Myers who cracked the rotation last year, and Jefferson will be a leader on a very young front four. Heading into spring practice, which he missed, he was penciled in as a starter next to rising sophomore defensive tackle David Shaw, who ended up suffering a patella injury, which could limit him during the fall. Shaw’s injury makes Jefferson’s return even more important, as the depth behind them at defensive tackle is filled with complete question marks.

Jefferson will be the most experienced player on the Terps defensive line this year after contributing as both a freshman and sophomore before suffering an injury in the third game of his junior season. He started all 13 games in 2013, notching four sacks, and recorded five tackles against West Virginia in the last game he was fully healthy for. He can use his quickness to his advantage against interior offensive lineman now to generate some pressure up the middle, but he also has solid strength to be effective against the run. As a defensive end in the 3-4, he was known more for his run-stopping ability opposite of Monroe, a sack master.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/7/29/9067461/stefon-diggs-minnesota-vikings-nfl

Stefon Diggs making strong impression early in Vikings camp

Zimmer had nothing but good things to say about Diggs, however.

"This guy’s got a chance to be really good. He runs great routes, he’s got excellent speed. He catches the ball as well as anybody I’ve seen, very, very easily and he’s been a model citizen, so that’s important. Pretty special for a young guy."

I saw this in the Richmond paper today. They had him listed at 6'1" & 211 lbs. It said VT moved him from LB to DE. 

Awfully small for an LB or DE. 

Height or weight ? I am not sure of his speed but he could transition to safety possibly. Heck, London Fletcher was considered small also. He got the job done though.

Height or weight ? I am not sure of his speed but he could transition to safety possibly. Heck, London Fletcher was considered small also. He got the job done though.

Weight...211 is small, especially for a DE. I guess he can bulk up or, like you said, play safety. 

Fletch was a bowling ball not a slim 6'1" 211 lbs. 

So overall, how is next year's class looking? I know Haskins was the big one. Ellis looks real good too. What about the rest?

247: We're ranked 29th nationally and 6th in the B1G,

Rivals: Ranked 21st nationally and 5th in the B1G,

Here you go:

Randy Edsall, Mike Locksley & #Maryland have in-state recruiting rolling, led by four Top10 in-state commits: http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/In-state-recruiting-very-impressive-for-Maryland-Terrapins-38499228  #Terps