Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ukraine thread

alexey

Um, ok. Half the country hates the Russians and wants closer ties with the west, but the country is impoverished and far more economically dependent on Russia so its leaders have tried to strengthen ties with Russia to boost the economy, causing a violent backlash by large segments of the population. For more details and analysis...wait for the next poster.

Accident at the Chernobyl (Ukraine) nuclear power station in the Soviet Union, the worst in the history of nuclear power generation. On April 25-26, 1986, technicians attempted a poorly designed experiment, causing the chain reaction in the core to go out of control. The reactor's lid was blown off, and large amounts of radioactive material were released into the atmosphere. A partial meltdown of the core also occurred. A cover-up was attempted, but after Swedish monitoring stations reported abnormally high levels of wind-transported radioactivity, the Soviet government admitted the truth. Beyond 32 immediate deaths, several thousand radiation-induced illnesses and cancer deaths were expected in the long term.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/chernobyl-disaster-1#ixzz2rLH6zD9x

slept with quite a few Russian women while overseas in Kyrgyzstan, (formerly part of the USSR, 60% population was Russian). it was pretty cool.  :)

Most of the Rooskies I dealt with over there were friggin' crazy.  I worked in construction contracting in the Air Force and had to deal with local sleazy Russian contractors from Bishkek.  Every time they took us out for a night on the town, I literally had my finger on the "send" button to security forces on my cell phone in my pocket, in case they tried to kidnap us and cut our heads off.  It was pretty neat seing all the old soviet statues in downtown Bishkek.

Looks like we don't have a thread for stuff that's happening in Ukraine.

Cmon man..when CNNs headline the other day was Justin Bieber getting arrested (and for most of the day at that), do you think anyone could possibly be bothered with the enormous protests going on in Ukraine? No. We have more important things!

I do believe Fox/MSNBC had snippets of whats going on over there, but the complete lack of coverage by any of the major networks is baffling.

Got to give props to Vitaly Klitschko.  He's got it made but he puts himself in the crosshairs for what he thinks is right.  The documentary on Netflix about the Klitschkos is good watching.  The story behind Kievan Rus is the story of Russia.  Very fascinating place with a long history of social unrest.  My grandmother and her family fled some of that social unrest back in the day. 

Archived