Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

$350,000 Namibia endangered black rhino auction and backlash

@DCGoldPants

You let one trophy hunt go legally you'll get 50 hunters trying to get in on the action illegally.

There's a reason poached Elephant ivory, Rhino horn, etc are destroyed instead of sold. Sure you could sell them because the animal is already dead and you can use the money to protect wildlife. Except you are creating a bigger market because again people want what is rare.

Maybe for a different thread, but Im fascinated by how people are able to assign value to other species and deem some acceptable to kill and others not.

If operating from a viewpoint of making rational or logical sense, this is just one of endless examples of the oft-seeming inconsistent, contradictory, or even arbitrary nature of much of our personal value judgement cognition before we even get to the wonderful (and often similar) complications as to how live up them and apply all the same to others.

I actually don't think it's hard to figure out a number of reasons that many people might give (have been given in the past) as common "answers" in rely to Kilmer's comment.

But those answers would tend to give more detail only into their personal worldview (and those who share some of it) and not likely much towards showing "how it is logical" or was the product of objective critical thinking and reason (just as many of us would likely figure). :huh:

This kind of examination always suggests the challenge as to whether evaluating the merit in how we do such, or where we "land" on a matter, is necessarily best done with only a standard of pure logic or reason as our scale (if that even gets suggested). :blink:

But I digress :P , and you (and twa, P, and Larry) know all that, anyway.  :lol:

Personally, I like cute, interesting, beautiful, impressive, or magnificent animals (scientifically speaking) and prefer to visit death only upon the unlovely, boring, or irksome. I, however, am more a creature of logic, analysis, and objective and detached reasoning, than most.  :wacko:

doc.jpg

I understand all of the arguments from both sides but there is no getting around the fact that this auction exists only because of the idea that killing an endangered species is some sort of prize.  I have a low opinion of that particular way of seeing things.  

Who has determined that killing the Rhino is the best solution?  I suppose if it is the best alternative I don't have a problem with it,  but I am a little skeptical that this is anything more than a wealthy chap who fancy's himself the chance to go hunt something endangered to put a notch on his belt understanding the rhetoric he needs to say to make it appear he is doing this to "help conservation" and maybe when all things are considered, it is, I just worry that once something like this brings in $350,000, it will convince more of these people to claim other animals need to be shot/killed for "conservation" too.

If that 350k is used to save or create 5 black rhinos, I'm all for it. If its used to buy the Namibian president a new gold tiger statue, that's fine too. Because in the end, millions of people have googled "black rhino" and now know about its status and probably care bit more. Which translates to more black rhinos.

For people who are really interested in the subject, I STRONGLY encourage you to read a book titled "In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro".

It dives deep into what appears to be a catch 22, that some of Africa's biggest conservationists have been avid hunters. It details how, for these people, the hunt is in the tracking, the journey, and the intelligence required to apprehend. They would go entire seasons only killing a single animal. And they would do it for the joy of being in the bush.

Unfortunately, I see both sides of this issue. People need to step away from the "Endangered animals need to live!!!" attitude. What if this rhino had some highly contagious, serious illness? We'd all be looking to put it down. There are instances in which these things need to happen. However, I can see how these things can become a slippery slope. 

Personally, I think the entire conservation industry needs to start marking "hunting" animals with cameras, as well as with research equipment. Challenge some of the best trackers, trappers, and outdoorsmen to help photographers capture real, powerful images of these creatures for public awareness. Task these people with helping scientists install trackers and monitors in some of the highly endangered species. I've read stories of big game fisherman taking on the challenge of catching elusive sharks and other fish for the help of monitoring them for science.

Many of these hunters are remarkably talented people with great skill who love the outdoors. Task them with helping the conservation efforts in a way that allows them to enjoy the perks of their hobby.

Archived