Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2014-2015 Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

It would seem people are enamoured with M. Hurt & I don't know why. The guy IMO is a bum. Anytime he's been in he's gotten beaten more than a cheap hooker.

I won't pretend that I'm some sort of football guru, I'm not but I have to believe that A. Gettis &/or J. LeRiebus would be a much better option at G.

As for RT I'd like to see what T. Compton can do. If not him then spend some of our newly gained cap $$$ on the best available FA.

HTTR!!! 

I'm leery about going after any of the well known free agents, e.g., Mack.  They are going to cost a ton of money and Skins need to use every dollar wisely to maximize the benefit for the entire team.  The Cinci RT that many seem to like was drafted in the 4th round.  Let's find our own and sit him for a year with a cheaper short term fix at RT.  Or, use our high second or high third on a RT (if available) that can start right now.  The trouble is there are so many positions we want to upgrade and still so little ammunition to do so.

No player is without warts.

Signing a short contract player like Wharton improves the RG position while still allowing our home grown talent to emerge because Wharton doesn't tie up future money. He's essentially a one-year upgrade rental.

I could get behind Howard but I wonder how much better he is then Tyler. (who benefit likewise from improved RG play and a QB with improved footwork/pocket movement)

I am not married to any 1 OT in particular. Strief suits my taste because he's a consistent player, proven pass protector and a short term contract which gives us time to find a solution in house or via the draft.

Shrief would be a good addition, but coming from someone who has played offensive line, having a good player next to you won't make you somehow turn into a better player. It helps but doesn't make that big of a difference.

It would seem people are enamoured with M. Hurt & I don't know why. The guy IMO is a bum. Anytime he's been in he's gotten beaten more than a cheap hooker.

I won't pretend that I'm some sort of football guru, I'm not but I have to believe that A. Gettis &/or J. LeRiebus would be a much better option at G.

As for RT I'd like to see what T. Compton can do. If not him then spend some of our newly gained cap $$$ on the best available FA.

HTTR!!! 

Gotta say, I largely disagree with your assessment of Hurt, but that's mostly because I'm looking at him as more of a RT than a G. *shrug*

HTTR!!! 

when was this?  Because I don't remember Hurt ever looking that bad.

I'd like to think one of the drafted guys from 2012 could crack the line up. Compton seems to be well regarded and LeRibeus sounds more focused this offseason on hitting camp in shape (currently at 328, aiming for 315). Not sure about Gettis, isn't he going to be a bit lightweight much like Lich ??

I find it difficult to assess where we should upgrade via FA when our back-up group is a massive unknown. Were they no better than our starters or did Shanahan just play it safe and keep the vets in ??

I'd like to think one of the drafted guys from 2012 could crack the line up. Compton seems to be well regarded and LeRibeus sounds more focused this offseason on hitting camp in shape (currently at 328, aiming for 315). Not sure about Gettis, isn't he going to be a bit lightweight much like Lich ??

I find it difficult to assess where we should upgrade via FA when our back-up group is a massive unknown. Were they no better than our starters or did Shanahan just play it safe and keep the vets in ??

Obviously Gettis showed well this season and he actually got some playing time this season, and I don't necessarily think being small determines if you can play or not. I think any of the 4 can crack the lineup honestly.

Another name to watch as an OT for me is J'Marcus Webb from Minnesota. Had a very good bounce back year and did well

I mean, he only played 108 snaps so I'm not sure how much you can look into that. His "bad day" is as bad as anyone in the NFL. Wouldn't be an upgrade over Polumbus that's for sure.

I mean, he only played 108 snaps so I'm not sure how much you can look into that. His "bad day" is as bad as anyone in the NFL. Wouldn't be an upgrade over Polumbus that's for sure.

Looking at what he did in Minnesota wasn't bad. A lot of the issues seemed to stem from needing a new change of scenery from Chicago. 

1 sack 1 hit 2 hurries in 59 snaps isn't exactly noteworthy imo. He is also 6'7 335, so he doesn't really fit our scheme. 

Our scheme is going to evolve - Gruden has already said that. With the Bengals he used some ZBS but also power concepts. When he did run zone he mainly used inside zone with very few of the stretch plays that were the staple of our running game. I recall he has also told the O'line he expects them to gain some weight.

Its worth noting than none of the starters in Cincinnati weighed less than 315 ...

Its worth noting than none of the starters in Cincinnati weighed less than 315 ...

True, however none of his Day 3 o-line draft picks were more than 310.  They weighed 298 (Offensive Tackle), 308 (Offensive Tackle), 308 (Left Guard), and 310 (Center).  He could have asked a few of them to beef up since the draft though.  What's also interesting is that both of the OT's were guys I believe Shanahan was also looking at.  They fit the profile and combine history of Shanahan o-line draft picks.

Our scheme is going to evolve - Gruden has already said that. With the Bengals he used some ZBS but also power concepts. When he did run zone he mainly used inside zone with very few of the stretch plays that were the staple of our running game. I recall he has also told the O'line he expects them to gain some weight.

I have a hard time thinking he would completely mess up the running scheme, one that has been very successful. Hopefully like any good coach he would change his scheme to fit our players.

“I don’t think it will change a lot,” new Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay said. “The foundation and base principles will remain the same. Jay does a great job of adjusting to his players. He doesn’t make the player adjust to his scheme.”

That means bootlegs, or keepers, and the outside-zone run game that benefited running back Alfred Morris.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4951/mcvay-run-game-will-be-similar

Here's what Jay Gruden said .....sounds like he will add some power concepts as well as using some of the ZBS we have been running. The scheme is going to evolve though.

"I think they’re in the top 10 the last couple years, so they have a system in place that’s very good. They’re an outside zone blocking team that can do inside zone. I like the power plays. I like the gap blocking plays. So there’s a little bit of everything. I don’t think any offense in the NFL anymore is just, ‘We are this.’ I think we have to adhere to what we have offensively, talent-wise. We can do the read option. We can do naked bootlegs. We can run outside zone. We can run bubble screens. We can run deep balls. We can do play-action deep things. I think the whole idea to be a successful offense is to be diverse and be good at a lot of different things and not just one.”

http://realredskins.com/2014/01/18/will-the-redskins-move-away-from-zone-blocking/

Here's what Jay Gruden said .....sounds like he will add some power concepts as well as using some of the ZBS we have been running. The scheme is going to evolve though.

"I think they’re in the top 10 the last couple years, so they have a system in place that’s very good. They’re an outside zone blocking team that can do inside zone. I like the power plays. I like the gap blocking plays. So there’s a little bit of everything. I don’t think any offense in the NFL anymore is just, ‘We are this.’ I think we have to adhere to what we have offensively, talent-wise. We can do the read option. We can do naked bootlegs. We can run outside zone. We can run bubble screens. We can run deep balls. We can do play-action deep things. I think the whole idea to be a successful offense is to be diverse and be good at a lot of different things and not just one.”

http://realredskins.com/2014/01/18/will-the-redskins-move-away-from-zone-blocking/

Great quote.

Gonna steal that for another thread.

Archived