Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look(Head Coaches):Darrell Bevell

darrelgreenie

We need a new head coach, figured there should be a discussion thread for each candidate that has been announced on the Redskin's interview list.

I enter this thread with full acknowledgement that there are plenty of important aspects of being a successful Head Coach that from our vantage point we cannot know first hand.
Important aspects like leadership, communication, perspicasity.....aspects that for the most part are unknowable as fan view 10,000 miles removed.

With that being sad lets press on......

My hope is that we can discuss the candidates on terms we have direct knowledge about: how our team or offense or defense might/could look schematically with each candidate as HC.

To begin (as objective as I can) an overview with a pro/con:

Darrell Bevell:

131010wilson600a.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Bevell

Under Bevell’s direction in 2011, Seattle’s offense found its identity: running the football. Over the last-half of the season, the Seahawks running game ranked fifth in the NFL with 1,212 rush yards, posting 100-plus team rushing yards in eight of its last nine games, including a six-game streak that was its longest since the 2002-03 seasons.

He stepped into the Packers quarterbacks role in 2003 with solid results. Favre set a career high with a 65.4% completion rate, led the NFL with 32 touchdown passes and earned his eighth career berth in the Pro Bowl.
In 2005, Green Bay led the NFL in completions (383) and attempts (626) and set a team record in both categories. The 2004 Packers set a team record with 4,449 net passing yards, breaking an 11-year old franchise record en route to ranking third in the NFL in total offense. After setting a team record for rushing yards the season before, the Packers became the first NFL team since the 1988-89 San Francisco 49ers to set team marks in rushing and passing in back-to-back seasons.
Along with Favre in his first year in 2000, Bevell worked with Matt Hasselbeck before his trade from Green Bay to Seattle.
http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/darrell-bevell/aa003c1d-a3a9-49fe-a252-058db004a066

--Their website bio is not very in depth.

Bevell was key in the development of Russell Wilson and Seattle's offense:

Well, Coach Bevell was a tremendous coach and he does a tremendous job of just leading our football team in terms of our offense," Wilson said during his new conference this week, via the Chicago Tribune.
"His knowledge of the game, his enthusiasm that he brings, his work ethic, he's always here early, always leaving late, he obviously has a love for the game, and he's young. Not too many people can do that at a high level the way he does it. He's coached a lot of great players in his time.

Obviously, I pray that Coach Bevell stays here, but I also pray for the best for him as well. Whatever is best for him and his family, but at the same time he really helped me develop.

PROS:
o Comes from a West Coast Offense therefore has some built in schematic continuity and verbiage to ease the transition for the players-ZBS; WCO passing concepts
o Uses zone-read, will make use of Griffin's run threat/speed
o WCO have a history or 'program' for QB development in the rhythm drop back passing game (dating back to Bill Walsh) and this is one area where Griffin could use some rebuilding or rather building
o He ain't scurred to run the ball! (maybe a portion of this comes from Carroll and from having Adrian Peterson)
o Has developed Russell Wilson into arguably the best QB from his draft class
Thoughts on selecting Wilson, Pete Carroll stated, "It was Bevell's project".
o Has worked in different styles of offense from run focused to pass first
o Has held different positions from passing game coordinator, WR coach, QBs coach before becoming OC
o Former QB
o Worked with Favre and some of the best WCO minds
o Seahawks currently 8th in points despite having an average receiving corps and missing both starting OTs for ~70 percent of the season
o has produced top 10 rushing offenses 5 times

CONS:
o offense is more steady then spectacular,
o  has only produced 1 top 10 passing offense in 2009 (w/ Favre when they were the #1 scoring/passing offense)
o has only been top 10 in passing attempts twice: 2006 and 2009 ( QBs were T.Jackson and Sage Rosenfels etc.)        

Seattle Offense:
17th
4th Rushing
8th (tied) 26.1 PPG

Offensive Tendency from 2013:

The Seahawks go 3+ WRs a healthy 76% of the time.

Darrell Bevell/Russell Wilson percentage of pass attempts:
32% in 4 Wide
43% in 3 Wide
65% of passes in Shotgun

Top Receivers:
Seahawks –Tate 52, Baldwin 43, Miller 28, Kearse 17
(Redskins- Garcon 89, Reed 45, Hank 30, Moss 30, Helu 26)

This article is interesting-

Some insight into Redskins Coaching Candidate Darrell Bevell

http://www.ballhogsradio.com/2014/01/01/some-insight-into-redskins-coaching-candidate-darrell-bevell

LOL. I just spent a couple minutes searching for your post, so I could post that link (and I promise I was gonna credit you for it).

That article says some stuff I have always believed about him (the lack of innovation, etc) and some other stuff that's kind of troubling (the hints about players not seeming to be that impressed by him).

I tend to think, after reading a bunch of articles on Bevell, that he's a guy who might fit from a scheme perspective but lack the ability to really lead and motivate this team.  Some guys are great coordinators without being able to translate that over to being a success HC.  IMHO, Bevell is one of those guys.

Bevell seems to be fools gold. I think interviewing him is just "due diligence". besides I thought people on here wanted rgiii to work under center move and improve at rhythm passing; RW is in the shotgun 65% of the time. What we ran under the old regime, the pistol is better for 3-5 step rhythm pass

Couple of things. He's not a head coach at the moment. It's possibly his demeanor as of right now. Maybe he doesn't want to be the rah rah guy in front of his bosses. Another thing is being a disciplinary and a leader doesn't always translate into being a stereotypical Bill Cowher figurehead. See Bill Belichick. Oh I'm sure he has his moments in the locker room, as I'm sure so does Bevell. I like the guy, and I wouldn't mind if we ended up with him.

He would be an interesting pick.  I like what he has done with Russell Wilson and the Seattle offense.  He is young, which could work to benefit the Redskins as well (if successful).  How that could translate to being a successful HC, who knows. 

I think some of you guys are just too desensitized because of all the past big names and splashy hires under Snyder, so it's hard for a name like Bevell to get you excited.  Who knows how he will turn out, but he pretty much has the exact same credentials as other OCs who went on to be top HCs in this league.

I very firmly believe a couple of things.

1) A HC has never won the Super Bowl after winning it with another team first. 

2) A HC hasn't taken over an NFL team after coaching a college team, without previous NFL HC experience, and won the Super Bowl, since when, Jimmy Johnson?

Because of this, I do not believe in hiring anyone who has won a Super Bowl already, nor anyone who is currently a college coach unless they've coached in the NFL before. 

This leaves 2 pools. Hungry coordinators looking to make their mark, and failed head coaches looking to try again in a new environment. Bevell fits that mold.

As a huge Favre fan, I think I favor the move. I loved what Favre did with the Vikings. They allowed AP to blow up against 6 man fronts and they made Sidney Rice a number one receiver. Pause for a moment. They made Sidney Rice a legit number one. 

That said, I still don't know that he's my first choice.

Seattle has the 26th ranked passing offense in the NFL. They were ranked 27th in passing last year.

Tom Cable has a lot of input on the running game.

They were also ranked (passing offense) 8th in TD's/ 3rd best from INT's this year, and 6th in TD's/ 5th best from INT's last year.

Both Seattle and Washington were both ranked in the top 5 in rushing for both years. We were #1 this year.

You can go up and down the field all day in the passing game, but scoring and not turning the ball over much has to also account for SOMETHING. Hell, we BOTH have decent running games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4520/sizing-up-the-candidates-darrell-bevell

Thursday, January 2, 2014
Sizing up the candidates: Darrell Bevell

By John Keim

Position: Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator 

Recent background: Bevell has served as the Seahawks’ offensive coordinator the past three seasons. His offense ranked 23rd in points per game in 2011 (28th in yards). But in the past two years they’re ninth and eighth, respectively, in points per game (and 17th both years in total yards). 

Past stops: Bevell started his NFL coaching career as a Green Bay offensive assistant in 2000. Three years later he became their quarterbacks coach and three years after that Bevell was named Minnesota’s offensive coordinator. Quarterback Brett Favre posted a career-best 107.2 passer rating under Bevell in 2009, when the offense finished No. 2 in points per game (In his five years with Minnesota, they were 26th, 15th, 12th, second and 29th in points per game). Bevell was not retained when interim coach Leslie Frazier became the head coach for the 2011 season. He started four seasons at quarterback for the University of Wisconsin. 

What I’ve heard about him: Seattle coach Pete Carroll expects  Bevell to be a head coach in 2014. While the Seahawks’ offense has been inconsistent, what’s impressed many is that they’ve still been productive despite playing most of the season minus receivers Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin and half the season without tackles Russell Okung and Breno Giacomini. Bevell is considered matter-of-fact and not flashy, but open and honest. One ex-NFL general manager said he likes Bevell and thinks he’s a good coach, but said his personality is not that of a head coach. 

Potential fit: Bevell has done excellent work in Seattle. They’re still playing with a young quarterback who was a third-round pick and they haven’t played much with their true starting lineup. Yes, Russell Wilson would have gone in the (late) first round had he been a couple inches taller. Still, he’s a young quarterback and Bevell and the Seahawks have done a good job winning with him (yes, with a great defense). It was Bevell who wanted Wilson to start right away over Matt Flynn, so he has some conviction and doesn’t appear afraid to make what was considered a gutsy move after they traded for Flynn. It's not like every team was raving about Wilson before the draft, either. I like that Bevell is younger. But I’d very much worry about his low-key personality in this organization. That’s not the sort owner Dan Snyder wants or needs; I think it would make it harder for Bevell to thrive in Washington. Also, several coaches from the past have talked about working in a big market; Bevell has been in Green Bay, Minnesota and Seattle. I'd worry about him being overwhelmed by the demands of the job in Washington, from maneuvering inside the organization -- knowing how to handle the owner is only part of it -- to dealing with outside pressures. 

I don't know.  Kind of up and down to me.  I like what he did with Wilson and his conviction to stay with him from the beginning, but the personality thing stands out to me.  Like ConnSkins said if he can inspire Allen then he could be the guy, I'm just not sure if he has the "it" factor to lead a team.

This article is interesting-

Some insight into Redskins Coaching Candidate Darrell Bevell

http://www.ballhogsradio.com/2014/01/01/some-insight-into-redskins-coaching-candidate-darrell-bevell

That "article" reads like a high minded blogger hatchet job, from a dude no more qualified then me or you.

I tend to think, after reading a bunch of articles on Bevell, that he's a guy who might fit from a scheme perspective but lack the ability to really lead and motivate this team.

But how do you know if he can't motivate?

Seattle has the 26th ranked passing offense in the NFL. They were ranked 27th in passing last year.

Tom Cable has a lot of input on the running game.

Every OL coach and RB coach have input in the running game.

Where was Seattle ranked those years in Points and Rushing?

If Bevell can't inspire his locker room, then he won't inspire Allen. I wouldn't worry about it if that story is true.

Where are you getting this from? And IF we don't know whether or not a story is true why repeat it? (real question)

Where are you getting this from? And IF we don't know whether or not a story is true why repeat it? (real question)

I'm getting it from that article, at least the gist of it. And I was mostly arguing against it, for what it's worth. Saying that if it's true, we don't need to worry about it anyways because it will be obvious to Allen (at least I'd hope). And if it's not true, we still don't need to worry about it.

You already posted those stats in the OP but left out the passing numbers.

Guess you didn't read the CON section:

o has only produced 1 top 10 passing offense in 2009 (w/ Favre when they were the #1 scoring/passing offense)

o has only been top 10 in passing attempts twice: 2006 and 2009 ( QBs were T.Jackson and Sage Rosenfels etc.)

I guess I don't understand the point behind randomly spam a thread if cons that have already been mentioned?

Why not randomly spam the thread with positives?

Maybe to start a dialogue about those passing stats?

Could the low passing yards/passing attempts be a function of recognizing and playing towards their talent? Why pass the ball a ton if what you do best is run the ball? Why put the ball in hands of Matt Hasselbeck and Charlie Whitehurt? Maybe just maybe keeping the passing attempts low was the smart move?

And you know what? When he was given a talented QB the passing game was very successful, funny how that happens.

It's not spamming. You left out the fact that they are ranked 26th in passing this year. This is what you posted after your Pro vs Con section:

Seattle Offense:
th
4th Rushing
8th (tied) 26.1 PPG

If you only want positives about a candidate then don't create a cons section and don't omit stats.

It's not spamming. You left out the fact that they are ranked 26th in passing this year. This is what you posted after your Pro vs Con section:

Seattle Offense:

17th

4th Rushing

8th (tied) 26.1 PPG

If you only want positives about a candidate then don't create a cons section and don't omit stats.

In my con section I clearly state that Bevell has only produced 1 top 10 passing offense.

Follow me now...if he's only produced 1 top 10 passing offense that means every other year the passing offense has been ranked below the 10. Last time I checked the 26th ranked passing offense isn't in the top 10 right?  Okay. Good.

Soooooooooooooo do you actually want to drill down deeper about the passing offense vs running offense stat or just quibble?

Then why did you omit the stat in your summary at the end that was not in the Pro/Con sections?

Yet you reiterated their rank as 8th in scoring and 4th in rushing in the summary at the end as well as the Pro section.

I merely pointed out a omission, which based on past history I would be shocked if it was not intentional.

I have no interest in debating your opinions. I have had more than enough information from you to form my opinion about your football knowledge when Zorn was here.

Archived