Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look(Head Coaches):Darrell Bevell

darrelgreenie

But even using advanced metrics that control/exclude external factors  like defense rate the Seahawks offense well: Football Outsiders ranks the Seahawks offense 4th overall 8th in passing and 7th in rushing

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

as someone who isnt excited for bevell, thats interesting info. i do like FO.

btw, DG, between jay gruden and bevell, you would take bevell? because looking at their body of work, gruden looks more accomplished, to me. how would you compare the two?

funny. i could have sworn mike said we were "top 6 or 7" in offense after the KC game. looks like we were actually 27th in weighted offense despite playing the 31st easiest schedule, unless im reading that wrong. 

nice. 

shanahan should be selling used cars or running for office somewhere cuz lots of people like grant paulsen believe him. 

what a piece of work. 

as someone who isnt excited for bevell, thats interesting info. i do like FO.

btw, DG, between jay gruden and bevell, you would take bevell? because looking at their body of work, gruden looks more accomplished, to me. how would you compare the two?

I really not sure yet. I haven't drilled down on Jay's offense yet.

My current thought is that Bevell is doing more with less though.

funny. i could have sworn mike said we were "top 6 or 7" in offense after the KC game. looks like we were actually 27th in weighted offense despite playing the 31st easiest schedule, unless im reading that wrong.....

lol, Shanahan had no conscience he will used to say anything if it served his purpose.....i'm so glad he's gone

My two biggest questions are:

1) Are his passing game numbers so low because Seattle doesn't really have a good WR core?

2) Is he basically getting the most out of Wilson right now, but with a more dynamic player like Robert, feel he could really get a top passing offense developed.

This offense can already run the ball. Even with how poor they pass-block, the current group can still make the blocks for Morris, and Morris does the rest. We need someone to come in here and figure out how to set the passing game on fire. Is that something Bevell is known for?

It seems like his offenses besides the 1 season with Favre, are pedestrian offenses that are mostly centered around "smash mouth" run games, and the passing game just has to do what it can to move the chains.  

1) Are his passing game numbers so low because Seattle doesn't really have a good WR core?....................

It seems like his offenses besides the 1 season with Favre, are pedestrian offenses that are mostly centered around "smash mouth" run games, and the passing game just has to do what it can to move the chains.

Really good questions.....

Will respond in more detail later.

But just because the raw passing numbers are low doesn't mean the passing offense isn't good.

I don't think we're reaching the correct conclusion if we look at Bevell's raw pass yards numbers and assume he can't put together a top passing attack. For one he has put together a high yardage passing attack with Favre.

It was too much work to put all stats I would really want in the OP like: YPA (which is a more meaningful measure of a passing offense then raw YARDs) and the current offense is 2nd in the league in YPA ahead of teams like Denver, Green Bay, Bears etc..

There is much more to an offense then passing yards. Its about efficiency and points.

I gotta go watch some football now.....

1) Are his passing game numbers so low because Seattle doesn't really have a good WR core?

Looked up Bevell's passing stats for the past 2 seasons from football outsiders and espn:

2013.........................................................................................2012

4th(8th overall)-----Passing offense ranking FBO-------4th(1st overall)

4th(8.0)---------Yards per passing attempt ESPN--------------2nd (8.4)

26th ------------------------Net Passing Yards----------------------------27th

8th(26.1)-------------------Scoring Offense PPG---------------------9th(25.8)

I think this shows that Bevell's offense doesn't throw for a bunch of passing yards. But his passing offense and overall offense have been very good over the past 2 season; both productive and efficient despite having an average at best receiving corps.

2) Is he basically getting the most out of Wilson right now, but with a more dynamic player like Robert, feel he could really get a top passing offense developed.

Imo Wilson's production over the past 2 season should rank him at the top of his draft class and I think Griffin is more talented then Wilson. I also think Bevell's has already developed a top passing offense with the Seahawks. Now whether or not Bevell passes for more yards *shrugs* depends on a bunch of factors.

We need someone to come in here and figure out how to set the passing game on fire. Is that something Bevell is known for?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'set the passing game on fire'? If you're talking about efficiency and productivity? Then Bevell's offense/passing game surely checks the box when you look at the metrics. Now if you're talking about passing yards then no.

I like Bevell just because of what he has done with Wilson. Like others have said, RG3 is probably more talented than Wilson. So if Bevell can make Wilson look like a star, what could he do for RG3? His base offense doesn't look that different from what we already run here, so there's not a steep learning curve for Robert and the rest of the offensive guys.

Can he lead and motivate guys? I honestly have no idea. Only way to really find out would be to make him a HC. Could be his role in Seattle isn't to be a leader and motivator. We really don't know.

Like DC9, Bevell is my favorite candidate right now. Jay Gruden could be my top one, but I could certainly live with Bevell.

Archived