Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

addictinginfo.org - Another Study Shows People With A Low IQ Generally Support The Right-Wing

Mad Mike

Sure to tick some people off but it's not quite as cut and dried or partizan as the title would suggest.

Another Study Shows People With A Low IQ Generally Support The Right-Wing -

“Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order,” Hodson said,explaining why these beliefs might draw those with low intelligence. “Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice.”

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, says that the findings are correlational, hence they can’t conclusively prove that low IQs lead to prejudice. The studies would have to compare identical people, which is not possible. But it does point to the idea that people who lack the cognitive ability to process complexity tend to adhere to strict ideologies:

“Reality is complicated and messy. Ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simpler solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies.” (
)

Those who really know my posting history here know how little respect I have for ANY single ideology. I must be a friggin genius. LOL.

The Tao of good government | The Mad Centrist

“All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.” - Bruce Lee

I don't know how good the study is, but this is intuitively plausible to me.

There are certainly intelligent people in the GOP. I imagine the 1% is mostly republican, and mostly intelligent. It is in their rational self interest to vote republican.

What is surprising is the many poor people who vote against their own best interests by voting republican. Somebody who is so easily duped into voting against his own interest is probably not the sharpest crayon in the box.

The masses of poor religious fundamentalists are not so bright, and the big money preys on them.

Maybe not, but so it seems to me.

sOcrates, voting simply in your best interests is rather shallow thinking.

Maybe so, although voting against your interests sounds odd to me. Maybe you could help me here. Could you give an example of a case where you think somebody should vote against his own interests?

For the record, i took that angle purposefully. I thought the idea of rational self interest would be uncontroversial with the right wingers, as it is the very essence of conservative ideology, as in Ayn Rand's objectivism, for example.

Don't conservatives believe that if everybody acts in their own interest we will prosper? Isn't that the idea of unfettered markets, for example?

reminds me of the Tea Party folk being more knowledgeable of science study results.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/tea-party-science-98488.html

I suppose I must point out that study found that liberals know more science than conservatives overall.

Maybe so, although voting against your interests sounds odd to me. Maybe you could help me here. Could you give an example of a case where you think somebody should vote against his own interests?

I believe so in the case of Obamacare, it will either help or have little impact on me,but many of ya'll are going to suffer because of it.

Should the larger impact matter or just the personal?.....which choice requires more from the decider

I suppose I must point out that study found that liberals know more science than conservatives overall.

Of course you must >evil grin<   :lol:

add

you are overlooking critical parts of conservatism that balance out capitalism, a common mistake 

I believe so in the case of Obamacare, it will either help or have little impact on me,but many of ya'll are going to suffer because of it.

Should the larger impact matter or just the personal?.....which choice requires more from the decider

But it sounds like you are saying the majority should oppose obamacare precisely because it is not in its own interests. I asked for an example where people should vote against their interests.

you are overlooking critical parts of conservatism that balance out capitalism, a common mistake

For example?

That's because the right utilizes base emotions (Fear & Anger) in its media/propaganda.  This tends to work on/appeal to those with low IQs. This is also why the right is so extreme right now.  Example?  Fox news literally established the Tea party.  

But it sounds like you are saying the majority should oppose obamacare precisely because it is not in its own interests. I asked for an example where people should vote against their interests.

For example?

No, you said somebody

private property rights for one, a pessimistic view of human nature for another.....they generally endorse the need for controls

That's because the right utilizes base emotions (Fear & Anger) in its media/propaganda.  This tends to work on/appeal to those with low IQs. This is also why the right is so extreme right now.  Example?  Fox news literally established the Tea party.  

Both parties utilize those and you would have to be blind or ignorant to not see it.

No, you said somebody

Frankly I don't follow. Who is the somebody voting against his interest here?

private property rights for one, a pessimistic view of human nature for another.....they generally endorse the need for controls

The notion of private property isn't based on rational self interest? Why do people submit to such controls, if not for their own interest? Wasn't that exactly how Locke reasoned?

While I agree with this, can't you say the same for any, if not all, of the politicians?

The notion of private property isn't based on rational self interest? Why do people submit to such controls, if not for their own interest? Wasn't that exactly how Locke reasoned?

They balance out capitalism overreaching

they submit because of consequences,which you could certainly say is in their own interests ;) .....just as some relief to the poor is.

No. The Koch brothers literally created the tea party.  :(

Final Proof The Tea Party Was Founded As A Bogus AstroTurf Movement | Eric Zuesse

The Koch-founded-and-run Citizens for a Sound Economy (shown there as running this "Tea Party") subsequently divided itself into two parts: FreedomWorks, and Americans For Prosperity. Both parts ardently pushed the Tea Party "movement" (which didn't yet exist).

Then, on November 8, 2006, their coming website was announced specifically in Chicago, as the "Sam Adams Alliance":

The Billionaire Koch Brothers’ War Against Obama : The New Yorker

Charles Lewis, the founder of the Center for Public Integrity, a nonpartisan watchdog group, said, “The Kochs are on a whole different level. There’s no one else who has spent this much money. The sheer dimension of it is what sets them apart. They have a pattern of lawbreaking, political manipulation, and obfuscation. I’ve been in Washington since Watergate, and I’ve never seen anything like it. They are the Standard Oil of our times.”

Op-Ed Columnist - The Billionaires Bankrolling the Tea Party - NYTimes.com

No, you said somebody

Both parties utilize those and you would have to be blind or ignorant to not see it.

You didn't really answer his question. But I agree that both parties, and humans in general use base emotions to further their cause. There are stupid people on both sides and scaring them or making them mad is the easiest way to motivate them into action. 

Good question.

Op-Ed Columnist - The Billionaires Bankrolling the Tea Party - NYTimes.com

The New Yorker article stirred up the right, too. Some of Mayer’s blogging detractors unwittingly upheld the premise of her article (titled “Covert Operations”) by conceding that they have been Koch grantees. None of them found any factual errors in her 10,000 words. Many of them tried to change the subject to George Soros, the billionaire backer of liberal causes. But Soros is a publicity hound who is transparent about where he shovels his money. And like many liberals — selflessly or foolishly, depending on your point of view — he supports causes that are unrelated to his business interests and that, if anything, raise his taxes.

This is hardly true of the Kochs. When David Koch ran to the right of Reagan as vice president on the 1980 Libertarian ticket (it polled 1 percent), his campaign called for the abolition not just of Social Security, federal regulatory agencies and welfare but also of the F.B.I., the C.I.A., and public schools — in other words, any government enterprise that would either inhibit his business profits or increase his taxes. He hasn’t changed. As Mayer details, Koch-supported lobbyists, foundations and political operatives are at the center of climate-science denial — a cause that forestalls threats to Koch Industries’ vast fossil fuel business. While Koch foundations donate to cancer hospitals like Memorial Sloan-Kettering in New York, Koch Industries has been lobbying to stop the Environmental Protection Agency from classifying another product important to its bottom line, formaldehyde, as a “known carcinogen” in humans (which it is).

are you saying the Koch's are low IQ or just happy to share?  :)

or is it that Libertarians are the devil trying to overthrow the old guard gop?

The Kochs are the manipulators of those with low IQs. And as the article points out, the ideology that they promote is entirely in their own self interest.

But yes, libertarian philosophy is very similar to the philosophy of the satanic bible.

“I break away from all conventions that do not lead to my earthly success and happiness.” 

― Anton Szandor LaVeyThe Satanic Bible

Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values.  - Ayn Rand

ryanchurch2a.jpg

Daily Kos: Paul Ryan's Favorite Philosopher Inspired "The Satanic Bible", Experts Say

"I give people Ayn Rand, with trappings"

--- Anton LaVey, founder of the Church of Satan (to Kim Klein of the Washington Post, 1970), as cited on page 2 of Contemporary Religious Satanism: A Critical Anthology, by Jesper Aagaard Peterson (Ashgate Publishing Limited, 2009)

"Ayn Rand, more than anyone else, did a fantastic job of explaining the morality of capitalism, the morality of individualism."

--- Congressman Paul Ryan, 2009 official Ryan For Congress video ad.

Anybody can create a party, but that doesnt establish it.  I was watching Fox news when they had the very first public "Tea Party" event.  They literally sponsored/created it.  And I watched them hype the party/event up and continue to push it.

While I agree with this, can't you say the same for any, if not all, of the politicians?

I dont see the extreme on the left being a problem at all.  In fact I would say if anything, that the left has shifted more to the middle/right.   obamacare isnt exactly a single payer system.

It's probably why so many (not all but definitely a trend) Republican politicians and pundits tend to use fear to manipulate. Much easier to get the stupid folk to fall in line that way. 

There's no other explanation than stupidity as to how Palin, Bachmann, and Cain were all prominent figures and why the Republican Party tends to be anti-science and look down on intellectualism.

I think there is a problem when folks like Bachmann, Santorum, etc etc can get to be prominent leaders in a political party in this day and age.

I always hear from RWM about how awful Pelosi & Reid, Boxer etc etc are and granted, if you are a republican you are going to disagree with them philosophically which is one thing, but I don't hear stuff come out of their mouths that is the equivalent of ignorance and stupidity that I do on the far right.

I think that is one thing I've always had trouble with when people talk about the government. Other than Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, I don't see this "extreme left wing" equivalent to the tea party, represented in the government.  RWM would like you to believe that any & every democrat is an extreme leftist but I don't see that ideology being represented very much at all.

The political "chains" have continually been dragged right-ward and the standard of what constitutes a "centrist" has in turn also been dragged right-ward for a long time. It seems just in the past two election cycles, finally (on social issues at least) the majority had drawn the line in the sand just how far socially conservative they could be budged and there was backlash as well as some dragging those chains back the other way. 

As far as low IQ voters, I think there is plenty of those on each side. I think both parties will do their best to relate to their base. I do think on matters of foreign policy the right wing thinks more in terms of black & white and that attracts a certain emotional "well, lets just kill them baddies over there and be done with it" mentality that isn't very nuanced or realistic as to solving issues in the bigger picture. 

I also think when it comes to the Koch brothers and similar interests. They have laid their cards on the table pretty plainly to see.  Look, I don't think all conservatives care less about the middle class and the poor. I do think a good number believe their policies are the best to solve the economic issues etc etc...even though I disagree, I don't think they are all ill intentioned. The Koch brothers on the other hand, when you see the policies changes they want and what they are willing to do to get those to happen, I think it is hard to see it any other way then they want policies changed merely to help their business interests and the hell with everyone else. I don't believe for one second they think the things they propose are for the greater good or will lead to more prosperity for more folks. They want it all and they want it now.

you don't see the extreme left wing stronger because most people don't like them or their policies.....it doesn't take a high IQ to see they suck everywhere they rule

ASF....for such bright people the Libs are awful stupid at times..

Archived