Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What did we miss?

Toe Jam

When we lost to the Seahawks in the playoffs back in January, I was sad and optimistic at the same time. The loss stung, but I knew deep down that we'd come back stronger and better this year. I think the majority of you felt he same way. I didn't see any predictions of doom and gloom on ES before the season started. 

I don't believe the Redskins fell apart overnight. The seeds of this years issues must have been planted last season.

So... what exactly did we miss? Should we have seen this coming? Or am I wrong and something just went terribly awry in the last few months?

We missed just how damaging RG3's injury and loss of offseason was. We knew he disguised a bunch of team weaknesses, but we missed just how much he disguised. We missed just how far Fletcher, the leader of the defense, was going to fall off the cliff.

Mainly we missed that Shanny was really Fat Al all along and his heart wasn't in it from Seattle on.

Even though a lot of this article is hindsight, still found it an interesting read:

http://overthecap.com/redskins-bruce-allen-mike-shanahan/

To be sure the cap penalty has impacted this team, and after finishing 6-10 and 5-11 the two years prior to RG3, it probably wasn't too surprising to see the team sitting at 3-5 at the midway point this season.  The team had really struggled early on but seemed to be getting its sea legs back and, after the 0-3 start, appeared to be playing better and were a team you could likely say that was probably better than the 3-6 team that started 2012 but not exactly the team that went on the 7-0 run.

The team had been inconsistent enough that I knew we wouldn't go on another run but saw a club that would play well enough to have us sniffing .500 at the end.

What I'm baffled by is how this team has just cratered after that bad night in Minnesota on November 7th.

I agree w/most...we missed how important missing the offseason was for RG3.  I knew he wouldn't be the same coming back off that surgery so quickly...but I didn't think the team would sink to this level of suckiness so quickly! It's painful to watch...and I thought myself to be one of the ones who was conservative in my thoughts about how well we would do this year...hopeful yet cautiously optimistic...but I didn't anticipate this crash & burn coming about

The defense did enough last year during the 7-game win streak to give me confidence that the disaster of the first part of last season was a thing of the past.

We have no excuse for how the defense has failed this season - none whatsoever.

I honestly believed that we would be between 8-8 and 10-6. I didn't think there was enough time for RGIII to come back from this injury and play to the level he played last year before he blew out his knee. That said, I never imagined the debacle we are facing now; not in my wildest dreams. :*(

I think that anyone who didn’t see a year similar to this coming wasn’t paying attention. Robert had a devastating injury and minimal offseason play. He spent nearly the entire offseason rehabbing. Then he didn’t play in the preseason. Robert should not have started week one. We had no cap money and again played the same poor defense and o-line that we had last year. An old team just got older. People forget we barely won the east last year. We weren’t exactly dominant. We just didn’t have the resources in the offseason to get better.

I agreed with the Shanahan hiring 4 years ago thought it had to be much better than Zorn and Vinny. I now think from the very get go there was something slimy about Shanahan. Nothing of any substance ever came out of his mouth he doesn't seem genuine or honest and his press conferences he spends more time dancing around questions and miss speaking than he does ever giving an honest answer. He continues to have done absolutely nothing without Elway and thinking he could is what we missed.

I had ZERO optimism after the Griffin injury. At the time I was certain he would miss the entire 2013 season. Other than Peterson, guys take 12 months to recover from a knee that devastated. 

I think "what we missed" was the opportunity to fire Shanahan on the spot after the Seattle loss.

We missed nothing.  We had unrealistic expectations.  Everyone thought RG3 would be like Adrian Peterson coming off his injury.  We still don't know if Robert is finally at 100%.    Coming back from an injury like Robert's usually takes 2 years and we expected him to be okay after 8-9 months.  We underestimated just how important it was for the QB to have a full offseason and preseason; before they resumed playing the regular season.   Also, while they are some pieces the next coach can build on; we under estimated just how bad this team really was.  The run last year masqued all our weaknessess.  

If we didn't go on a run last year, we probably would've had another double digit loss season.  That would've gotten Shanny fired if we hadn't drafted RG3 and put him on the hot seat.

We didn't miss anything. RG3 was hurt and regressed. The defense was supposed to be better with Orakpo and safety help, but it regressed. Special teams regressed.

While there certainly were some seeds planted last year like lack of depth, smoke and mirrors o-line, etc., most of the problems that sent this team from 10-6 to 3-10 are due to players, units, schemes being worse than they were last year.

Archived