Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Easy Way Out or Why did the offense feature read-option?

darrelgreenie

You are misrepresenting facts. During the offseason Robert did rehab. But guess what that actually means he spent more time at the park then other players who were having a true offseason.

And if you look at my previous post Griffin did participate in training camp and took first team reps. I was there at Richmond and saw him, I also posted the youtube vid from training camp.

It was the OTAs when Griffin was throwing on the side and you know who was with him? Garçon, Fred, Jordan Reed, Helu and CT. And as you can see on the vid those were vigorous throwing sessions.

AND on top of all that NFL teams install their entire offseason again during the season and the Redskins like many NFL teams have week to week game plans they install.

The he missed the whole offseason is a easy media talking point that whose negative impact is greatly exaggerated.

It's another excuse.

There was ample opportunity to expand/ change the offense.

2nd & 5 wasn't a "check down" to F.Davis he was the #1 read on the play. Read was 1)Davis,2)Paulsen,3)Garcon.. Paulsen was open but so was Fred. Skins scored a few plays later. 

I'd also argue that throw was late and not "immediate".  If he got that ball to Fred early Fred might have broken a few tackles.

In any case we scored on that drive so meh.

12-04-13 The Drive with Cooley and Czabe Hour 3 (17:31)

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=13491&f=2179923

^^Must Read

starting@7:34

Cooley breaks down a few points about our current offense.

Yep.  I listened on my way home.

The company line is about 15 feet behind him.

Or, he is toe-ing the company line (like he normally does) and that doesn't spell prosperity for the Shanaclan.

I think its hilarious that people think Robert missed training camp. Rage on with that one indeed.

The injury is a convenient excuse to explain what seems to be a fairly common problem for healthy second year players, in many sports. The sophomore slump. Robert has been far from perfect but our play calling and the evolution of our offense in his tenure here, is not his fault and I feel contributes to most all problems I see on offense.

The presumption that the knee/brace limits his mobility and speed should be causing Kyle to get back to the things he did well last year, think that New Orleans game. Quick passing, RG3 given responsibilities to improvise. Kyle is making RG3's sophomore year more difficult than it seems to need to be.

Maybe Cooley should have been hired to be a TEs coach, or a consultant.  Great audio there. Something as simple as running 4 guys downfield is a foreign concept. I know, i know our interior sucks. Well roll him out. D too aggressive, then run TE screens. 

It's not just backup OL that should be being auditioned at this point, if Kyle cannot show better play calling I am fine with him going to be a head coach somewhere.

I would rather risk some one new tried instead of Kyle showing up with his same playbook next fall. Tearing out the best parts after seeing they worked the best. Coaching afraid that the defenses will defend it, before they actually even come close.

I missed your post yesterday.....

If you watch the first series of the Giants game, it was actually fairly bad (on Griffin's part).  On 3rd and 7, he missed an open 20 yard post to Robinson.  On 2nd and 5 in the red zone, he missed an uncovered Paulsen which would have been a guaranteed touchdown, and instead immediately checked it down to Davis for a 1 yard gain despite there being no pressure in his face.  That's 2 big plays he missed.  Granted, he made an excellent throw on the TD to Paulsen, but that has become the exception rather than the norm.

Lol, I feel like I have to say this whenever you 'grade' Griffin. You(maybe unintentionally) cherry pick negative plays. Players are graded based on each play. And no player is perfect, every player/QB will have negative plays. Above is a perfect example, you're attempting to down grade his performance on a drive where he threw no incompletions and threw a TD pass.

When you claim Griffin's first series against the Giants was 'actually fairly bad' you lose a lot of credibility imho. It comes off as if you are incapable of being objective/acknowledging when Griffin plays well.

But, in regards to the 1st series (or few) against the Giants did you notice a difference in the gameplan/playcalling concepts?

Sure, I agree that the read-option was the easy route (and also wildly successful).  But maybe Griffin isn't an elite passing talent, like we all thought he was?  I believe the guys you listed in your post are were all spread QBs in college.  Recent Air Raid QBs include Brandon Weeden, Kevin Kolb, and Geno Smith.  Not exactly elite company.

I don't believe talent changes. Talent is physically intrinsic. And Griffin's physical attributes that made him an elite passing talent: arm strength, quick release, accuracy to all levels of the field, escapability/playmaking remain. Griffin is the same prospect he was then as now.

Yes the QBs I mentioned were spread QBs but all air-raid QBs are spread QBs. And one of the rationales being thrown out about Griffin's transition to the NFL stem from the notion that he's a spread QB and therefore couldn't make the transition as a rookie. And those spread QBs I mentioned all made transition as rookies and Griffin by all accounts is as smart, coachable and certainly as physically gifted as those QBs I mentioned.

I saw earlier in the thread the question asked if Kyle changed his offense because it wasn't good for RG3, or becuase RG3 wasn't good for his offense.

I'm still not convinced it either of these things.

Watching what I watched last year, and watching things this year...not just with this team but with multiple teams in the NFL, I'm not of the mindset that the Pistol formation nor the Read-Option are incompatable with the NFL.

I think it's a distinct possability that Kyle changed (really, tweaked imho) his offense because RG3 had the capacity to do MORE than what it would allow for.

I still think that's the case. I just believe that an off-season spent focusing on rehabbing a knee rather than improving his mechanics, watching tape, etc. OTA's he was not actively working with the entire team nor working on installing the offense, as he was inactive for it. While he attend training camp, he was significantly limited through a large portion of it working limited reps. He was not playing in any of the preseason games. While it's unfair to say that he missed off of the pre-season training sessions....it's unfair to act like he was a full go and that it was business as usual as well. All of this I think led to offensive changes being few and far between, perhaps because they weren't installed, perhaps because they weren't able to practiced to a level that was needed, or perhaps because the coaching staff felt that based on a combination of those two things happening it wasn't worth attempting to create said wrinkles. Regardless, it seems there's not been many changes done to the offense to anticipate the changes the league would make...which I believe even Cooley noted on his radio show recently.

I'm still not someone that believes we need to fit a Polygon Peg into a Square Hole. Does Griffin "have the software" (to borrow a Czabism) to be a top flight Pocket Passer? I believe the answer is "yes". HOWEVER, I believe he also has the ability to be more than just a great pocket passer. His athleticsm, speed, and ball skills on the fake  along with his decision making are things that I think can add an extra dangerous attribute to the offense. The key would be in finding the right way to blend it and to continue to evolve BOTH sides of his game in their own right and as a blended concept.

I agree with the notion that I'm in favor of long term gain over short term in general with him. I'm fine with him taking his lumps as a pocket passer and developing there. But I'd hate to see us abandon the notion of read option entirely, or to abandon the idea of him being a legitimate Run Threat out of the back field.

Coming out of the draft, and all through last year, I fell in love with Griffin not because I believed he could fill the mold of a traditional great Pocket Passer....but because I believe he could be an evolutionary player that could find a way to meld top end Pocket Passing talent with top end Mobile QB talent. I still think that's possible, and I believe going ALL one way or another (relying TOO much on read-option and/or him as a run thread, or only incorporating mobility with the occasional scramble) is actually WASTING the superb talent that is inherent in him and what made utilizing 3 first round picks in order to have him on this roster a reasonable gamble.

DG, there is an incredibly deep-seated bias against spread QBs among uninformed NFL fans, and to a lesser extent among NFL executives and talking heads, for a lot of reasons - they look down on spread based attacks because they're not traditional, they feel like spread attacks don't teach things NFL QBs need, and a lot of decision-makers who drafted busts at QB have needed to defend their bad drafting by blaming it on the spread.

Would you say that Kyle is the number one issue with the offense, and anything to do with the injury is tangential to the offense's performance? I do feel that RGIII's mechanics and accuracy are off, regardless of the quality of the playcalling, due to lingering effects of the injury.

DG, there is an incredibly deep-seated bias against spread QBs among uninformed NFL fans, and to a lesser extent among NFL executives and talking heads, for a lot of reasons - they look down on spread based attacks because they're not traditional, they feel like spread attacks don't teach things NFL QBs need, and a lot of decision-makers who drafted busts at QB have needed to defend their bad drafting by blaming it on the spread.

Sorry long reply follows..............

Off topic...I too have noticed the bias against.

(1)I believe their thought process is driven by the typical CYA attitude many NFL coaches/organizations have. Many coaches/organizations are afraid to fail doing anything different form the status quo for fear of being pointed out. HEY he did something different THAT's why he failed. As opposed to the faceless abundance of coaches that fail following the exact same method. Somehow failure following the typical NFL blueprint is more acceptable then failure using different concepts.

(2) Coaches/organizations want their job to be as easy and possible they realize grooming an NFL QB is difficult and the more prepared the prospect (i.e. "pro-style" offense) the easier the transition because they'll need less coaching.

Would you say that Kyle is the number one issue with the offense, and anything to do with the injury is tangential to the offense's performance? I do feel that RGIII's mechanics and accuracy are off, regardless of the quality of the playcalling, due to lingering effects of the injury.

It's hard to isolate the number one issue with the offense because football is such a team sport. If I was Kyle my number one issue would have been field position, it was a feakin joke. The heck are you doing to me dad?lol A little better field position and some of those punts are FGs and some of those FG are TDs.But I digress.....

But yes, for me the top problems on offense were coaching, gameplan and playcalling. When I watch and re-watch the games (and press conferences) this is my number one take away. I think the offensive gameplans/playcalling were inconsistent and at times inadequate and overall I felt the offense wasn't well coordinated.

I got crushed early when I agreed with Jaws that Griffin's throwing mechanics were off (specifically his wieght transfer on his throws which effects accuracy), its ironic that many (not you) of the same people are now claiming Griffin's mechanic's were off. But, yeah I agree that early in the season Griff was a little rusty but I considered him back by the Lions game. I also think Griffin's mechanic's are a bit overblown because Griffin has always had an inconsistent/varied throwing arm angles and release points going back to last year. And when Griffin scrambles he has a bad habit of dropping the ball from a ready throwing position with both hands on the ball, he tends to carry the ball in his right hand and lets his right arm drop. But, those are aspects of his game that should/can be coached up imho.

But, I don't think Griffin's level of rust or recovery cost us games. Opening day against the Eagles we got dump trucked.

Our offense looked flat and out of sync. Alfred Morris practically admitted as much when he said that he wished he took more carries during preseason. To have all offseason to prepare and look that inept was all about preparation for me. And lack of preparation is a coaching issue.

BUT EVEN IF (because I don't agree) Griffin wasn't physically prepared to play then it doesn't give Kyle a pass. They chose to play him. And if the staff makes the decision to play Griffin then they must have gameplan/playcalling that Griffin can execute at a high level regardless of his % of health. SUM: NFL decision makes can't choose to play someone then turn around and blame the lack of results on a physical limitation the player THEY chose to play has.

But let me be clear I am not saying Griffin was back to 100% as a dynamic runner. Because I don't think he was and I don't think he is now. He certainly fast enough to be effective and dangerous but he's not the same runner he was last year.

BUT the offense doesn't/shouldn't require Griffin to be a dynamic runner to work. If I had to focus on one aspect of gameplan concept/playcalling that failed the offense I would point to the play-action concepts from Pistol-read-option. Those concepts and plays were deadly last year but largely ineffective this season starting from week one. And we used that concept to start games, often in the 1st series, 1st 3 plays. And it simply didn't work and that failure had a lot to do with why the offense was  ineffective in the 1st quarter of games all season. We had were the last team to score a TD on the opening drive and that didn't happen til last week.

Let me ask you this...do you think Griffin could have executed the gameplan from the Giants game during the 1st 4 games of the season?

I think its hilarious that people think Robert missed training camp. Rage on with that one indeed.

I think it's hilarious that you think people think that. The only thing I said was that he missed taking first team reps for the majority of training camp. More on that below.

You are misrepresenting facts. During the offseason Robert did rehab. But guess what that actually means he spent more time at the park then other players who were having a true offseason.

And if you look at my previous post Griffin did participate in training camp and took first team reps. I was there at Richmond and saw him, I also posted the youtube vid from training camp.

It was the OTAs when Griffin was throwing on the side and you know who was with him? Garçon, Fred, Jordan Reed, Helu and CT. And as you can see on the vid those were vigorous throwing sessions.

AND on top of all that NFL teams install their entire offseason again during the season and the Redskins like many NFL teams have week to week game plans they install.

The he missed the whole offseason is a easy media talking point that whose negative impact is greatly exaggerated.

It's another excuse.

There was ample opportunity to expand/ change the offense.

I'm not misrepresenting facts. He didn't play in the majority of 11 on 11s. That is not taking "first team reps". I know he did the 7 on 7s, but that's not the same. Furthermore, RG3's offseason of rehabbing was ONE factor I mentioned that you omitted.

If it was enough, or was the same, then why did Robert make a fuss during that infamous presser about Shanahan's plan? Why was it important for him to play more in the 11 on 11s and in the preseason? Why did he disagree with the whole thing if it meant little and was just an excuse?

What makes more sense? That there was a plan to develop RG3 into more of a pocket passer and that the offense was being evolved considerably, but was hindered by his offseason rehab significantly, or that Kyle just came in with the same crap and didn't care about missing an "ample opportunity" to expand the offense?

Here are direct quotes from Kyle Shanahan right before the season started:

The more we learn about the read-option, the more interesting it becomes. A fad? Maybe. “Nothing is here to stay,’’ Shanahan says. “Everything’s evolving.” 

“I understood his frustrations. I am just as frustrated,” Kyle Shanahan said of Griffin. “The whole team, everybody wants him out there. Your starting quarterback, we all want him out there to play and it’s hard. Me being young and everything, I want him out there the very first day. I don’t have much experience in this. The main thing is we can’t risk him getting hurt. As hard as it is, as frustrating as it is for him, myself, the head coach, every player out here, it is what we have got to do. We have to keep him healthy, that is the most important thing, and make sure he is definitely ready to get out there and I think we have been smart about that.”

No need to be frustrated Kyle and Robert, you silly geese. It didn't and shouldn't affect much!

When training camp opened, Pierre Garcon expressed a belief that his team’s offense could this season become  “the best ever.” His stance raised eyebrows nationally.

Shanahan admitted that he too did a double-take when he heard Garcon’s comments.

“I mean, I laughed at that, too,” Shanahan said. “That’s very high expectations, and I like his confidence, but that’s a little pressure right there. I don’t know about [best] in the history of the NFL, but I think we did a good job last year. You get better or worse, and we need to get better. If not, we will be worse. I don’t think we’ll be the exact same as we were last year, and it’s very important not to get complacent.”

There's also a direct quote from Kyle Shanahan at one of his pressers right before the Eagles game where he literally stated that he can't wait to show the "new wrinkles" they added to the playbook this offseason. I can't find it anywhere, though, so you'll just have to believe me. I know that I posted how excited I was to see those new wrinkles going into the season. I remember you even speculating that what he was talking about was more spread looks. 

Didn't we come out against the Eagles in more spread looks? Weren't we calling a lot more drop back plays in general and much less 50 series, or read option, throughout the first few weeks and getting killed? How much of that was what Kyle was talking about and how much of it failed because Robert wasn't the same guy? 

My point is, it's easy to point fingers. You claim you are just "going with what you see on the field", but you're not. You're making assumptions about what Kyle did or didn't do during the offseason. You're assuming you know exactly what limitations, or lack thereof, were placed on the offense due to Robert's offseason as well as health in general. We don't know. We don't know how many of Kyle's calls or ideas have been affected by all this. And I think it's sad how a guy that was pretty much universally praised last season for his innovative schemes and daring use of them is now being condemned so easily for "just doing the same thing over and over".

I find that hard to believe, that's all.   

I missed this post from Kdawg the first time around, but this essentially sums up my position: 

The injury and a lack of offseason time would definitely hurt a transition to a pocket passing style of offense. In conjunction with our poor interior OL, the pocket passer stuff is more difficult (though not impossible) to pick up.

I don't think it's fair to say Griffin worked harder than Kyle Shanahan did. None of us are in any kind of position to assume things like that. But I will say this, I think you underestimate how much an offseason means for a quarterback.

Sub-

RE:Griffin being limited by offseason:

Regardless of our difference of opinion on the impact of the offseason the staff thought he prepared enough that he gave the team the best chance to win. But look at it this way the offseason that preceded the 2011 season every rookie QB truely missed the offseason because they didn't even have one did that cripple the Panthers or Bengals offenses?

What makes more sense? That there was a plan to develop RG3 into more of a pocket passer and that the offense was being evolved considerably, but was hindered by his offseason rehab significantly, or that Kyle just came in with the same crap and didn't care about missing an "ample opportunity" to expand the offense?

Whatever floats your boat. You base your argument on rhetoric. Mine is based on observation.

And its not just my observations, Greg Cosell and Chris Cooley have echoed them.

We are in week 13 and out of the playoff hunt and we ran the TRIPLE option, lol. Tell me again how that is developing Griffin as a pocket passer?

And just calling more 'drop back' plays doesn't equal developing Griffin as a pocket passer.

And if the plan was to develop Griffin as a pocket passer why was the passing game still based on read-option play-action?

C'mon man, you can feel however you want but the truth is there on film.

Its not about rhetoric, its not about words its about what actually happened and is happening on the field.

Over the course of the season there have been several threads that discuss in detail, specific Xs and Os of our offense.

Its the only way to sensibly discuss the offense.

I missed this post from Kdawg the first time around, but this essentially sums up my position: 

KDawg, on 05 Dec 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:snapback.png

The injury and a lack of offseason time would definitely hurt a transition to a pocket passing style of offense. In conjunction with our poor interior OL, the pocket passer stuff is more difficult (though not impossible) to pick up.

Sure the atypical offseason had an impact but no where near enough to flush the season or make it impossible to transition the offense or excuse the season long 1st quarter scoring ineptitude.

The problem on the offense are far greater then Griffin's offseason.

Sure the atypical offseason had an impact but no where near enough to flush the season or make it impossible to transition the offense or excuse the season long 1st quarter scoring ineptitude.

The problem on the offense are far greater then Griffin's offseason.

Uhm, that's all I said. That it was a factor or, in other words, "had an impact". I certainly wouldn't say "far greater", as I would put Griffin's injury itself AND the rehab as the biggest factor, so I guess we disagree on how much of an impact, but, yes, whatever "floats my boat". 

DG, you act like "observations on the film" aren't subjective in anyway. You say "the truth is there on the film" but what you mean is "the truth as I see it on the film". You act like you know exactly what each play was intended to do and why it was called. You act like you know why Kyle isn't calling certain things instead of others.  

How much of what is being called right now, including the triple option, based on the teams limitations as well as Robert's specifically? You don't even leave open the possibility that Kyle is calling plays that he feels are the only thing Robert, the WRs and Oline can execute to any degree. That maybe he feels the traditional drop back passing game isn't working because Robert is simply not ready and the Oline is unable to handle it? That maybe he felt the spread type plays won't work because the receiving options outside of Garcon and Reed are failing?   

Here's the "truth" that I see on film. That when Robert is consistently dropping back he's failing to make the right reads a lot of the times. I also see our receiving options outside of Garcon and Reed failing more often than not to get open. I see Robert struggling with his pocket presence as well, as he's too quick to escape the pocket and doesn't have the explosiveness to get away from Dlinemen running after him. I see Will Montgomery and Chris Chester struggling more this year than they were previously in sustaining their blocks. 

There's also a balance that needs to take place with developing Robert as more of a pocket passer. He is getting killed doing that more often than not, so I don't think it'd be wise for Kyle to just call those plays to develop him. Doing more of the quick stuff that you advocate requires guys who can make a catch and turn up field quickly and it looks like outside of Garcon we have none. Our screens all get blown up, too. I feel like we call a lot of those type of plays but they aren't doing much either.    

That's the "truth" as I see it. Based on film. Okay?  

DG, you act like "observations on the film" aren't subjective in anyway. You say "the truth is there on the film" but what you mean is "the truth as I see it on the film". You act like you know exactly what each play was intended to do and why it was called. You act like you know why Kyle isn't calling certain things instead of others.

I do? How do I act this way?  

How much of what is being called right now, including the triple option, based on the teams limitations as well as Robert's specifically? You don't even leave open the possibility that Kyle is calling plays that he feels are the only thing Robert, the WRs and Oline can execute to any degree. That maybe he feels the traditional drop back passing game isn't working because Robert is simply not ready and the Oline is unable to handle it? That maybe he felt the spread type plays won't work because the receiving options outside of Garcon and Reed are failing?

More empty rhetoric based on nothing. The notion that the only thing the offense can execute is triple is patently absurd and shows me how pointless any discourse with you about offense truely is.

You know how many times the offense used triple option during the first opening series scoring drive? None. Zilch. Zero. Griffin was 5/5 with a TD.

And to entertain all your hypothetical scenarios..all those fantasy ideas are possible but the results are the results and they were subpar. No would question Kyle is the offense was able to score points and produce yards when it mattered.

The truth here and there is no way around this. Offensive coordinator are judged based on how their unit performs. They can think whatever they want but if it doesn't work. It doesn't work.

Here's the "truth" that I see on film. That when Robert is consistently dropping back he's failing to make the right reads a lot of the times. I also see our receiving options outside of Garcon and Reed failing more often than not to get open. I see Robert struggling with his pocket presence as well, as he's too quick to escape the pocket and doesn't have the explosiveness to get away from Dlinemen running after him. I see Will Montgomery and Chris Chester struggling more this year than they were previously in sustaining their blocks.

Yet, this is the same personnel from last year. I guess everyone sucks now and the gameplan/playcalling are just fine. 

There's also a balance that needs to take place with developing Robert as more of a pocket passer. He is getting killed doing that more often than not, so I don't think it'd be wise for Kyle to just call those plays to develop him. Doing more of the quick stuff that you advocate requires guys who can make a catch and turn up field quickly and it looks like outside of Garcon we have none. Our screens all get blown up, too. I feel like we call a lot of those type of plays but they aren't doing much either.

It is impossible to discuss the offense this way. And I disagree with almost everuthing you've stated above. Again, its always rhetoric with you.

As always we can agree to disagree. But, I've made my observations. Detailed ones based on Xs and Os all season. The threads are out there you're welcome to discuss the details of the offense there. But, it is impossible to have a sensible discussion of the offense like this.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the triple option is the only thing he can call. I said that, most likely, what he's calling, including the triple option, is due to the limitations of the team right now, especially Robert. And Kyle went to the no huddle three times out of 5 in the 2nd half as well but we were three and out so it looked like we didn't. That's according to Kyle.

You know what's patently absurd? Me even trying to have a discussion with you. You're absolutely right, and I should know better. Any point I make will be nitpicked like always and if you disagree it's just rhetoric. Awesome.    

Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the triple option is the only thing he can call. I said that, most likely, what he's calling, including the triple option, is due to the limitations of the team right now, especially Robert. And Kyle went to the no huddle three times out of 5 in the 2nd half as well but we were three and out so it looked like we didn't. That's according to Kyle.

You know what's patently absurd? Me even trying to have a discussion with you. You're absolutely right, and I should know better. Any point I make will be nitpicked like always and if you disagree it's just rhetoric. Awesome.    

No need to get all salty bro. Just 2 guys talking football and the Burgundy and Gold.

And like I said I'm game to talk about the games in detail, even breaking down play by play. I've been doing it all season, makes no difference to me.

Did you listen to the Chris Cooley link I posted?

Do you think gameplan/playcalling/coaching (of the QB) can mitigate poor pass protection?

If no other factors changed, I think better coordination on offense changes the tenor of the season.

Of course. I also think confidence in your players (Lack of confidence in TE Fred Davis, pretty much every receiver not named Garçon or Moss, and OL in general) effects things quite a bit.

We do lack talent offensively. We lacked talent last year, too, but a healthy RG3 and a new offense to the NFL hid that stuff.

I can see it being a playcalling issue. I could see it being a personnel issue. The answer is somewhere within the space between.

I think the problem is pretty simple.  Nobody fears RG3 to use his legs like last year, he is just not running as quick nor chancing a cut to get an extra 5-10 yards on the run (which i'm OK with).  Teams are just stacking the box, taking Garcon out with a safety, and letting RG3 beat them with his arm.  Despite the gameplan we are still managing to score some points and Reed certainly helps.  RG3 is getting a dose of reality this year, his 1st read was ALWAYS open last year no matter who it was too because they feared the Morris handoff or RG3 run.  This year he is having to make progressions and it's not easy for him. He isn't use looking quick over to the left/right and passing IMO leading to his extreme inaccuracy.   He will get it though, we just have to keep him in reps and not be dumb and put Cousins in.  He will only get better when he learns to make his progressions in the pocket, he is a competitor and wants to win.  We will get some pieces next year in FO and going through the draft.  His leg injury is the reason for this year, I just hate to see him taking the shots he is every single week, I hope he makes it the season without any issues whatsoever even if it's not a knee.

Griffin's lack of escapability has changed the way defenses attack this team's protection scheme.

It became apparent rather quickly that this team cannot protect a drop back QB.

Why is this so hard to understand? In 2012 the threat of Robert exploiting an aggressive pass rush was overwhemling so Coordinators often had to call off the crazy blitzes. It took a lot of pressure off the O-line to need to pass block.

In 2013 RG3, while he can still run once out of danger, cannot escape on a dime.  It has given Coordinators the green light to send blitzers from all sorts of angles to take advantage of a poor pass blocking O-line.

You see how Kyle tries to counter this with the quick no huddle offense, and it works a lot of the time.  All of the sudden Robert is magically accurate again.  The dude didn't forget how to throw the ball to receivers.  It's not like you magically go from accurate to inaccurate over and over.  Robert's accuracy as a rookie was pretty defining. It was one of his greatest attributes.  I am not sure why people think he just magically became inaccurate all on his own as if it has nothing to do with what else is going on after the snap of the ball.

Did you see Foerster said Gettis and Compton are ready for prime time?

Total aside... apologies.

I did. I read that differently than a lot of people.

He said they were as ready as they were going to be. That doesn't mean that they are ready to be good in the game. Just that theyve been around for a bit.

He also said LeRibeus literally hasn't progressed and Compton has a ton of room to improve by saying he needs to get stronger.

He seemed to like Gettis quite a bit. I don't put much stock in the comments made, to be honest.

well that whole game looks a lot like this season.

I did. I read that differently than a lot of people.

He said they were as ready as they were going to be. That doesn't mean that they are ready to be good in the game. Just that theyve been around for a bit.

He also said LeRibeus literally hasn't progressed and Compton has a ton of room to improve by saying he needs to get stronger.

He seemed to like Gettis quite a bit. I don't put much stock in the comments made, to be honest.

He doesn't like Ribs at all.

Gettis seems to be all we have in the cupboard with Hurt on IR.  Compton's rub has been strength.  I think they like his footwork, though.

Archived