Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Telegraphing Plays - Personnel

superozman

Thanks to the Redskins Rally, enjoyed the game from inside the Linc, which this would have been the first time I've missed back to back Philly games! 

One thing I was able to notice, was the personnel and the play calls that followed.  Skins do a lot of 3TE (maybe forced with Hank out), but also something that was bugging me really is true. 

When Morris is in, it's a run >50% of the time (for the most part).  When Helu is in, it's a pass <90% of the time. 

Hopefully the below "table" pans out to the thread, but it shows how many offensive snaps Morris/Helu have, and how many Carries they get.

Obviously, end of half and trailing at end of game Helu is in because of his ability to catch, however, I would not respect the run game whatsoever when Helu is in if i'm the other team.  I only did 3 games based on time, but it's something interesting, and really helps the defense concentrate on one aspect of the game.  And if they take away RGIII's first read or two, he's really been struggling.

Player Snaps Carries Game

Morris 38 22 Eagles

Helu 44 3 Eagles        

Morris 49 26 Vikings

Helu 30 2 Vikings        

Morris 54 25 Chargers

Helu 21 2 Chargers

Do you realize every coach since Dan Snyder took over has had the same problem.  Other teams claimed they knew what we were going to do offensively.

It happened under gibbs, schotty, zorn, spurrier, now shanny.  I don't believe it.

A lot of those years were running really limited stuff. Marty had Tony Banks and one audible. We've had three rookie QBs. And we had Gibbs Cro-Magnon offense for a while.

Like I said in another thread, I think fans really misread this. Teams don't know the exact play that is coming. What they are saying is that they are completely comfortable with what is being done. The Skins have tended to stick to basic tendencies.

I also don't think that we have anyone (aside from RGIII outside the pocket) that truly scares anyone. Calvin Johnson probably only runs three routes at this point. His defender pretty much always knows what is coming. It doesn't matter. If you have a decent idea what Pierre Garcon or Old Man Moss is going to run in a specific down and distance, most CBs can deal with that.

Like I said in another thread, I think fans really misread this. Teams don't know the exact play that is coming. What they are saying is that they are completely comfortable with what is being done. The Skins have tended to stick to basic tendencies.

Agree.

It's like the movie groundhog day being a redskins fan.  You wake up every year and you hear the same stuff.  Drama, teams know exactly what we are running, 4 wins, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks to the Redskins Rally, enjoyed the game from inside the Linc, which this would have been the first time I've missed back to back Philly games! 

One thing I was able to notice, was the personnel and the play calls that followed.  Skins do a lot of 3TE (maybe forced with Hank out), but also something that was bugging me really is true. 

When Morris is in, it's a run >50% of the time (for the most part).  When Helu is in, it's a pass <90% of the time. 

Hopefully the below "table" pans out to the thread, but it shows how many offensive snaps Morris/Helu have, and how many Carries they get.

Obviously, end of half and trailing at end of game Helu is in because of his ability to catch, however, I would not respect the run game whatsoever when Helu is in if i'm the other team.  I only did 3 games based on time, but it's something interesting, and really helps the defense concentrate on one aspect of the game.  And if they take away RGIII's first read or two, he's really been struggling.

Morris 38 22 Eagles

Helu 44 3 Eagles        

Morris 49 26 Vikings

Helu 30 2 Vikings        

Morris 54 25 Chargers

Helu 21 2 Chargers

A fair criticism. Personally I'd like Helu to get more carries but 99% of NFL coaches would do the same thing.

All coaches have a certain target number for run and pass plays. In order to give Helu more carries and make it harder to identify pass plays, you have to take some carries away from Morris. Or run the Helu more and pass less. Or maybe we can pass more to Morris who is not a particularly good pass catcher. Or we can run Morris less which would give defenses another indication that statistically a pass is coming. 

The point is that nothing in the NFL is easy to rectify. If it was, everyone would be doing it. And the BEST way to rectify the issue is for RG3 to do a better job of finding the open receiver.

Agree.

It's like the movie groundhog day being a redskins fan.  You wake up every year and you hear the same stuff.  Drama, teams know exactly what we are running, 4 wins, etc, etc, etc.

And by and large, I think bad teams tend to become hamstrung by their personnel. We aren't really equipped to suddenly come out in a 5 WR, no huddle look next week. We are built for zone blocking, play action, and half bootlegs. The Shanahans and their adopted son in Houston have been running basically the same stuff for 25 years. It can still work, but it's not surprising anyone and our personnel doesn't win a lot of battles.

I also don't think that we have anyone (aside from RGIII outside the pocket) that truly scares anyone. Calvin Johnson probably only runs three routes at this point. His defender pretty much always knows what is coming. It doesn't matter. If you have a decent idea what Pierre Garcon or Old Man Moss is going to run in a specific down and distance, most CBs can deal with that.

I agree, it seems they are comfortable and don't care.  The problem is isn't a "play action" done to hold the defense for that split second?  If Helu is in, defenses would be dumb to hold that split second and then go to their zone or reciever?  Freezing those safeties and line backers with that zone read or playaction is the key...and this is not able to happen unless:

1.  Morris is in for more plays (Put him in front of a jugs machine!!)

2.  Helu gets a couple runs on the plays he's in for.

Morris 38 22 Eagles

Helu 44 3 Eagles        

Morris 49 26 Vikings

Helu 30 2 Vikings        

Morris 54 25 Chargers

Helu 21 2 Chargers

Well if you watch the MNF game between NE & Carolina, in the second half NE brought in 4 TE power running set with only amendola out wide and run it at will against a very good carolina defense. Watching that I found new respect in value of good coaching and half time adjustment. I'm guessing during the half time the players and coaches learned that they can run against carolina and that their receivers were getting pummeled on those short passes. Also the value of a great defense(carolina), teams have to make half time adjustment for you. Brady was throwing the ball all over the place in the first half with only 3 points to show for it, then NE start running it. Which proves those NE superbowls weren't won on Brady's arm. NE always had a good running game and defense. Being that we run a gimmick offense, not much adjustment can be made from that.

Archived