Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Msn: Typhoon Haiyan: Red Cross Estimates 1,200 Dead As Winds Slam Philippines

visionary

Hopefully all the help can get where it's needed quickly to minimize the remaining damage and death toll.

Saw someone post this on Facebook. It's pretty interesting stuff ... but I honestly didn't know what thread it fit into ... so my apologies if this is inappropriate. But thoughts? I'm not sure I believe it but if it is true then ... **** us all ... we really have no power if governments are doing this sort of thing

*Edit: WHoops forgot to provide the link ...

http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/11112013-tropical-storm-zoraida-formed-after-microwave-pulse-heads-for-philippines/

jesus-facepalm-meme-generator-oh-me-not-

I saw some people on Facebook today urging others not to give to the Red Cross because its a "liberal" organization. WTF has gotten in to people.

There are organizations that give more bang for your donated buck.....whether that is because they are liberal I'll leave to others

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/16/us-philippines-typhoon-idUSBRE9A603Q20131116?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Philippine typhoon survivors begin to rebuild

Survivors began rebuilding homes destroyed by one of the world's most powerful typhoons and emergency supplies flowed into ravaged Philippine islands, as the United Nations more than doubled its estimate of people made homeless to nearly two million.

But the aid effort was still so patchy that bodies lay uncollected as rescuers tried to evacuate stricken communities on Saturday, more than a week after Typhoon Haiyan killed thousands with tree-snapping winds and tsunami-like waves.

After long delays, hundreds of international aid workers set up makeshift hospitals and trucked in supplies, while helicopters from a U.S. aircraft carrier ferried medicine and water to remote, battered areas where some families have gone without food and clean water for days.

"We are very, very worried about millions of children," U.N. Children's Fund spokesman Marixie Mercado told reporters in Geneva.

A U.N. official said in a guarded compliment many countries had come forward to help.

"The response from the international community has not been overwhelming compared to the magnitude of the disaster, but it has been very generous so far," Jens Laerke of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs told the Geneva news briefing.

I think I am getting numb to disasters.   As huge as this is, I haven't thought about it for at least a day.  I haven't donated any money.  I just filed it away in between Syria and North Korea somewhere and went to watch basketball.   Something is wrong with me.

I think I am getting numb to disasters.   As huge as this is, I haven't thought about it for at least a day.  I haven't donated any money.  I just filed it away in between Syria and North Korea somewhere and went to watch basketball.   Something is wrong with me.

I don't think so

I don't think anything like this (in terms of feeling/acknowledgement) is as simple as "Cry when you see it on the news and donate money = Good, kind soul/ File it away and go about your day = Cold/Sociopathic pig."

Murder, rape, terrorism, genocide, famine, war, disease, hate crimes, human trafficking/slavery, natural disasters, broken homes/child abuse, suicide/mass murder, etc are always occurring, every second, either here or abroad. That's a lot of tears, a lot of pain, a lot of suffering, a lot of flowers/postcards, and a lot of Red Cross donations... That's also a lot of news to cover (god help the media, they just can't get to all of it).

Yet somehow most of us find a way to go about our day, focused on things that affect only us, and things we can control, probbaly thinking about what we're going to cook, who we're going to go out with, what we're going to get from Best Buy, what to buy the kids for Christmas, etc etc. I don't think there is anything right or wrong with that, from an individual standpoint. I do think it becomes a problem when people condemn others for doing it, when we're all "guilty" of it, to a degree, or when people find sick pleasure in seeing others suffering.

Archived