Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Source, Teammates Bullied Martin

Destino

bruh, he called him "half a n*****"

I have never heard anyone use that statement in a joking and friendly matter. NEVER!

I have no idea what the dynamics of their relationship is, but I know that isnt a statement used by friends.

Read my post, in no way have I ever said that Incognito wasn't a piece of **** and that he didn't take it to another level that wasn't acceptable by any standards.  

But please explain Joe, how come the African American players that are teammates of Incognito are coming to his defense regardless of the racial slur?  I don't condone the racial slur, that was a horrible thing to say to anyone, regardless of profession.  But when the entire locker room says they dont think Incognito is racist and other players outside the o-line state the same thing (see Mike Wallace, WR), something isn't adding up here.  When Riley Cooper made his slur, the locker room was divided and multiple teammates of African American decent said they didn't know the guy like they thought they did and it was uncalled for and any friendship was no longer in place.

I think we can all agree that an NFL locker room is not the standard work environment.  And everything we think/believe and the consequences of actions that would happen in a normal work environment do not apply there.  Should they?  Personally, I think they should.  But evidently they do not.  And stop ignoring the fact that Martin sent similar text messages to Incognito regarding killing his family. And the fact that Martin sent him a text message four days after leaving that he doesn't blame Incognito or the rest of the players for his departure.

Take out the racial slur, everyone would be calling Martin a ****ing nut job.  And even with the racial slur, his teammates back him and all claim that Martin was never a victim of any brutal attack, etc.  I find it hard to believe that some idiot asshole like Incognito has mob boss like power over the entire team.  

Nobody can deny, BOTH men were acting like a bunch of confused, idiot 16-17 yo high school kids with zero parenting.

What facts lead you to believe that Martin was not bullied by Incognito? Their 'friendship'?

I've personally witnessed bullying between 'friends' in fact some of the worst bullying i've seen was between 'friends'.

That text is strange but I don't know what it means in the grand scheme. 

I've never seen bullying between any of my friends, other than busting balls.  Please elaborate.

Maybe I live by a more simple rule-set than you do, but you were either friends with people or not friends (bullies included here).  There was no hybrid friendship that included both.  

Why in the world would anyone that was bullied by someone claim they were their friend?  The couple of assholes that bullied me until I stood up to them, in my mind are still pieces of ****.  I don't care if we were kids or not.  I don't care if they found God, joined the military (finally got some discipline), grew up or [insert excuse here].  I don't want to have anything to do with them now, nor did I 22-25 years ago.

I don't wish anything bad upon them or any ill will, I really just care less.  I forgive but I don't forget.  People/Kids do make horrible mistakes in life, yes I did too, and at the end of the day, I don't expect any forgiveness from people that I may have hurt or been an asshole to as well.

Thats just life.  The only time I ever hung out with one of the guys that bullied/tried to bully me was through a mutual friend a handful of times.  And he was "cool" those times.  Doesn't mean he still wasn't an asshole the other 99% of the time and I do not consider him a friend, nor did I the few times I hung out with him.  

Read my post, in no way have I ever said that Incognito wasn't a piece of **** and that he didn't take it to another level that wasn't acceptable by any standards.

you say this, and then say....  

But please explain Joe, how come the African American players that are teammates of Incognito are coming to his defense regardless of the racial slur?  I don't condone the racial slur, that was a horrible thing to say to anyone, regardless of profession.  But when the entire locker room says they dont think Incognito is racist and other players outside the o-line state the same thing (see Mike Wallace, WR), something isn't adding up here.  When Riley Cooper made his slur, the locker room was divided and multiple teammates of African American decent said they didn't know the guy like they thought they did and it was uncalled for and any friendship was no longer in place.

to try and defend it

I never called Incognito a racist, and I dont think he is one. I dont think every white person that uses that word in a derogatory way is a racist. But throwing the word around in that manner is not what "friends" do.

The irony is that Martin isnt even biracial.

A lot of these football players are meatheads and sociopaths. Lets stop defending their behavior and stop seeing them as role models and the like. (any athlete for that matter)

to try and defend it

I never called Incognito a racist, and I dont think he is one. I dont think every white person that uses that word in a derogatory way is a racist. But throwing the word around in that manner is not what "friends" do.

A lot of these football players are meatheads and sociopaths. Lets stop defending their behavior and stop seeing them as role models and the like. (any athlete for that matter)

Joe, I'm not defending what Incognito said.  I'm simply pointing out that the NFL locker room is a different place than your average work environment in corporate America.  And in their work environment, which is the Miami Dolphins locker room, that his own teammates of African American decent have no problem with what he said to Martin.  Racial slur included.  

Again, doesn't make it right at all and I don't condone the slur he made to Martin.  So stop trying to twist my posts and make it look like I'm defending Incognito.  I'm weighing in on both sides of the argument.  It goes back to what people consider offensive in the work place, evidently, the Miami Dolphins players do not think that Incognito is a racist or bullied Martin and have his back and do not appear offended at all.  When Riley Cooper used the N-word, he was not supported by any of his teammates, so again, they perceived it to be unacceptable in their place of work.

And I agree, a lot of football players are meatheads and I'm not defending their behavior.  I'm simply stating the facts, which at this point seem to favor Incognito now, not Martin.  The entire incident is wrong on every level in any other place of work other than an NFL Locker room.  

And if you want to agree that there is no place in an NFL locker room for those actions, then it needs to include both mens actions.  Martin is not this innocent victim as he claims to be or what we once thought he may have been. 

I'm not a racist, nor do I defend people that make racial slurs.  And I don't try to judge, because at the end of the day, the person that is the receiving end has to determine what is considered "off limits" or crossing the line.  

And Joe, who are you or I to determine how two professional athletes that are friends talk to each other?  We can't.  We don't know and aren't there.  Maybe that's how they talk to each other, busting balls and what not.  We really don't know and probably never will.  Its all speculation and interpretation on both our parts at this point.

For the record, friends don't send texts of a meme with "Im gonna kill your entire ****ing family" to their friends either.  

to try and defend it

His grandfather was black.

When you are part of the "fraternity" the N word is used by black and white people alike.

It's only when we get to the public world it's unaccepted. 

His grandfather was black.

If you saw Jonathan Martin in the street, you would think he was black

His mom is black, and this is his dad

http://omg.yahoo.com/video/johnathan-martin-father-speaks-alleged-221807751.html

If you saw his dad in the street, you wouldnt think "oh he is biracial"

When you are part of the "fraternity" the N word is used by black and white people alike.

It's only when we get to the public world it's unaccepted.

who are you responding too?

And dont be so sure that people are open to use of that word.

Joe, I'm not defending what Incognito said.  I'm simply pointing out that the NFL locker room is a different place than your average work environment in corporate America.  And in their work environment, which is the Miami Dolphins locker room, that his own teammates of African American decent have no problem with what he said to Martin.  Racial slur included.

I dont know this, and I dont think you know this either.

And clearly it bothered Martin.

Desmond Howard was stunned at it, as have many players current and in the past.

Again, doesn't make it right at all and I don't condone the slur he made to Martin.  So stop trying to twist my posts and make it look like I'm defending Incognito.  I'm weighing in on both sides of the argument.  It goes back to what people consider offensive in the work place, evidently, the Miami Dolphins players do not think that Incognito is a racist or bullied Martin and have his back and do not appear offended at all.  When Riley Cooper used the N-word, he was not supported by any of his teammates, so again, they perceived it to be unacceptable in their place of work.

ESPN did a poll of players around the NFL, and most dide not support Incognito

And Joe, who are you or I to determine how two professional athletes that are friends talk to each other?  We can't.  We don't know and aren't there.  Maybe that's how they talk to each other, busting balls and what not.  We really don't know and probably never will.  Its all speculation and interpretation on both our parts at this point.

I dont know, neither do you. The problem is you came out and said "the facts" favor one person over the other. I dont know at all.

And I have a problem with equating a damn internet meme of a dog with a crazy face to calling dude "half a n***er"

Not even remotely the same weight.

http://omg.yahoo.com/video/johnathan-martin-father-speaks-alleged-221807751.html

Born and raised in PG county.  Lived it.  See it today.

Joe, people use the N-word all the time and I have witnessed first hand, as a white guy, the word tossed around by African Americans in every other sentence.  I love everyone, I have plenty of friends of all color/race, I don't use the word at all.  But to think that people aren't open to the use of the N-word is silly.  

And if you have ever played sports of any kind, especially pick up bball games in with some peeps from the hood (which I have many times), then you should know how openly its used. 

I dont know this, and I dont think you know this either.

And clearly it bothered Martin.

Desmond Howard was stunned at it, as have many players current and in the past.

ESPN did a poll of players around the NFL, and most dide not support Incognito

I dont know, neither do you. The problem is you came out and said "the facts" favor one person over the other. I dont know at all.

And I have a problem with equating a damn internet meme of a dog with a crazy face to calling dude "half a n***er"

Not even remotely the same weight.

I came out and said the facts are now favoring Incognito and the FACTS are here:

Fact #1 - Incognito used a racial slur in a VM to Martin (including the treat) that none of his teammates found offensive (including African American teammates) 

Fact #2 - none of Incognito's African American teammates thought he was a racist, even knowing of said racial slur

Fact #3 - his teammates confirmed that Martin himself played back said VM to everyone and was laughing about it

Fact #4 - his teammates stated that they saw zero evidence that Martin was bullied or physically harassed in any way shape or form

Fact #5 - Martin texts Incognito calling him bro and stating he did not leave the team because of him or any of the other players.  That it was too much and the locker room got to him.

Fact #6 - Martin also sent a threatening text to Incognito in the form of a meme.

Incognito and anyone for that matter should not use racial slurs in my opinion, but people still do.  It doesn't make it right.  But let me ask you a few questions Joe and answer honestly.

1]  If a co-worker sent you a meme stating they were going to kill your entire ****ing family, how would you respond?  

2]  If you were black and a co-worker called you a half-N-word, how would you respond?

There are so many wrongs from both parties included its ridiculous.  Grown ass men in normal work environments don't act this way, white/black/brown/green/purple/etc included.  I work for a very diverse company, and I'm proud of that, and there is zero tolerance for the way BOTH men have acted, should this have occurred anywhere than in an NFL Locker room.  

But, the Dolphins fired Incognito, so he lost his job.  Which he should have.  But Martin should not be able to retain his job either if he participated in the **** and send that meme to Incognito.  Both men would be fired at any normal place of work, don't act like they wouldn't.

considering the history between the two, you have to consider both of them a joke or them both threats. You can't just pick and choose which you want to believe to suit your personal agenda. 

So putting it on a picture makes everything ok? I am sure if incognito knew the world would be judging his private conversations her would have put his words on a picture so that everyone else would know it was a joke. 

Fact #5 is ridiculous. You would consider this a threat?

rrwBw.jpg

Send me a meme personally that states, "I'm gonna kill your entire ****ing family" and depending on our relationship, I may or may not consider that threatening.  

You can't defend Martin for that meme/text, but state Incognito's VM wasn't joking either.   You can't have it both ways.  It's either acceptable among friends or its not acceptable.  

At this point, the behavior of both men should be considered unacceptable, childish, etc.  How anyone can deny that is beyond me.  

I'll tell you what Destino, send a meme that threatens the family of one of your co-workers to one of your co-workers tomorrow and see what happens.  My guess is that it wouldn't be in your favor.

considering the history between the two, you have to consider both of them a joke or them both threats. You can't just pick and choose which you want to believe to suit your personal agenda. 

So putting it on a picture makes everything ok? I am sure if incognito knew the world would be judging his private conversations her would have put his words on a picture so that everyone else would know it was a joke. 

Exactly the point I've been trying to make sacase.  People want to defend Martin's "death threat" as ok, cause it was in the form of a meme.  I can tell you right now, I have seen people get fired for less than this.  

I have 100% knowledge of a person I used to work with being fired because they made a comment to another co-worker venting about their boss saying something to the likes of "I could just kill her some days." and that co-worker told their supervisor and said supervisor felt "threatened" and the person was let go.  

Workplace violence and threats are not tolerated, nor should they be, anywhere.  Incognito and Martin both would be fired for their actions anywhere else other than the NFL.

Both Incognito and Martin should be fired from the Miami Dolphins, period.  

The only problem I have with that, is that it makes no sense at all. I can joke with someone and threaten them at a different times. I can threaten someone that has joked with me in the past. These are things that are easily done. So no I do not have to randomly assume that a funny picture and a racist threatening voicemail are the same.

I will not assume a random funny picture was a threat unless I see context that indicates it. I don't actually believe that incognito was making a real threat either, I think he was being an asshole. Its kind of his thing. Normally if I wanted to be an intimidating asshole it wouldn't be via a funny picture. Maybe I'm weird. (Not to be confused with the big weirdo)

The only problem I have with that, is that it makes no sense at all. I can joke with someone and threaten them at a different times. I can threaten someone that has joked with me in the past. These are things that are easily done. So no I do not have to randomly assume that a funny picture and a racist threatening voicemail are the same.

I will not assume a random funny picture was a threat unless I see context that indicates it. I don't actually believe that incognito was making a real threat either, I think he was being an asshole. Its kind of his thing. Normally if I wanted to be an intimidating asshole it wouldn't be via a funny picture. Maybe I'm weird. (Not to be confused with the big weirdo)

Destino, I have nothing against you or any of your posts.  I respect your views in plenty of other threads I've read/participated in.  

But if you were to send a racist threatening VM (same as Incognito) to one of your co-workers or send the same meme Martin did with the same inscription, "Im gonna kill your entire ****ing family." to one of your co-workers, one thing would connect the two, immediate termination.  Period.  

If you don't think so, then do both to random co-workers that you are friends with at work.  Obviously you wont because your smart enough to know the consequences.  Which brings up my point, both men acted stupid and deserve to lose their job.  

Incognito's interview was a classic blame shift.

And there are differences between sending a 'threatening' meme and leaving a threatening voicemail with a racial slur. First a meme by design is a joke and it did not contain a racial slur. And lastly Incognito wasn't offended and Martin apparently was offended.

In my previous post i used the word 'friend' loosely. There times like in a frat or locker room or another masculine work environment that people are thrown together by circumstance. Maybe you haven't seen it. But trust that people within the same circle people that are "friends" can be bullies.

Also your facts are skewed.

Some start off as facts but then you leapt to conclusions whether or not his teammates thought he was being bullied nor if they were offended is immaterial. It's whether Martin feels bullied or offended that matters. Also when consideted the wrids/actions of Dolphins players you have to consider that a locker room where a Incognito is on their leadership counsel may have a similar meathead attitude by extention.

Also your facts are skewed.

Some start off as facts but then you leapt to conclusions whether or not his teammates thought he was being bullied nor if they were offended is immaterial. It's whether Martin feels bullied or offended that matters. Also when consideted the wrids/actions of Dolphins players you have to consider that a locker room where a Incognito is on their leadership counsel may have a similar meathead attitude by extention.

It is about Martin, no doubt, but I find it hard to believe that he felt threatened after learning he exchanged 1000+ text messages with Incognito, sent a threatening meme via text to Incognito, along with texting Incognito 4 days after quitting the team, stating he does not blame him or his other teammates for quitting.  

How am I leaping to conclusions when Mike Wallace and other teammates came out publicly and stated they did not think Incognito bullied Martin, nor did they think he was a racist?  And do you honestly think just because Incognito is on a teams leadership counsel that he has some majestic power over all the other teammates in the locker room and can brainwash them into taking his side?

I'm not going to argue any other points except both men should have been fired and acted like a bunch of idiots.  Any other workplace, both are fired for their actions.  Don't believe that, duplicate what either man did to a co-worker of yours and see what happens.

I'm gonna lay this out there and hopefully it sticks with some of you.  If not, it's fine.  As mentioned before, I was bullied growing up.  To give you background, I was a tall kid, but skinny as ****.  I was goofy looking in elementary school (ears stuck out, buck teeth, etc.).  In 4th grade, a neighborhood kid that I played with decided to start bullying me for whatever reason.  Now, my dad, he was/is a man's man, but I was raised to only fight if I needed to.

And after seeing one kid break another kids glasses and get in huge trouble, I was afraid to punch my bully in the face because he wore glasses.  I know that sounds stupid, but I literally took a beating on the walk home from school, multiple times,

because I was afraid I would break them and get in trouble.  We went to different middle schools and with his loss, came 2-3 more people taking his spot.  Stupid ****, like one guy making up stuff and calling me "Bloody Nuts" in the locker room (yes, I can actually laugh at it now, its stupid) to doing that **** where you lick your fingers and slap the **** out of the back of someone's knee causing it to whelp up.  

And then the occasional mental torment.  I messed my knee up in 8th grade, was in a cast and on crutches and one asshole would take my backpack and dangle it away from me, taunting me, etc.  

Needless to say, my ****ing balls dropped and I determined enough was ****ing enough.  I started standing up for myself and never looked back.  I gave two ****s how big the other person was.  If I'm gonna get beat-up or threatened to be, then I'll go down swinging, period.  In high school, it continued with one guy from middle school and actually the dick from elementary school (on 2 occasions) and I stood up to them and made them both look stupid because I knew their weaknesses, never had to throw a punch, my insults/words based on my inside knowledge worked instead.

To this day, I still have no desire to ever talk to them, hang out, etc.  Why would I?  They were assholes back then.  Sure people change, I know I have.  I do not wish any ill will towards them, but again while I forgive (trying to do the Christian thing) I don't forget.  Life is full of people you won't like or get along with and I have no desire to associate with someone that was a jerk/asshole to me and some of my friends 20 years ago.  

With all that said, what I endured was real bullying.  I didn't joke around or have a friendship with my bullies.  Even after 5 years at different schools, the one douche tried to pick up where he left off.  We weren't friends.  That's not how it works.  There is no such thing as a hybrid relationship with your bully.  If anything, you do one of the following: Stand up for yourself; take a beating; or try and get as far away/avoid them.  The last thing you do is befriend them.  

Incognito is a piece of **** and should have been fired from the Dolphins as he was.  But Martin was a grown man and after all the latest facts, does not appear to be a victim of bullying.  A victim of workplace violence (based off the VM)?  Perhaps.  But he should not be given a pass on the meme he sent.  He should be fired as well.  Again, in any other place of employment, both men would not have jobs based on their actions.

Edit:  By real bullying, I'm not saying that it has to be as clean cut as my situation, but Im saying based on the facts presented to us regarding Martin, he does not appear to be a victim of real bullying.  And the last thing someone that is a victim of bullying does is want to be around or talk to their bully.  

And there are differences between sending a 'threatening' meme and leaving a threatening voicemail with a racial slur. First a meme by design is a joke and it did not contain a racial slur. And lastly Incognito wasn't offended and Martin apparently was offended.

In my previous post i used the word 'friend' loosely. There times like in a frat or locker room or another masculine work environment that people are thrown together by circumstance. Maybe you haven't seen it. But trust that people within the same circle people that are "friends" can be bullies.

Here is the problem with your theory, 1) Martin showed the locker room the voicemail and let them listen to it and laughed about it. Clearly at the time, he thought it was a joke. As a side note you only read the voicemail, you didn't hear the whole voice mail. Big problem there. Compare it to when people first heard about the text when martin said I will kill your entire family. They thought it was bad, then  you see the context and see that it is a meme and its ok all of a sudden. Let's be real here, everyone knows that what Incognito said was in jest between friend, poor taste but still a jest. Stop with the spin to fit the agenda. We already know incognito is a asshat. 

2) You don't exchange 1100 texts with someone who is thrown together by circumstance. Having spent time in a locker room, there are plenty of guys who I associated with on a casual basis. If we were in the same area, cool, let's hang, but I didn't pick up the phone and call them. 

Joe, people use the N-word all the time and I have witnessed first hand, as a white guy, the word tossed around by African Americans in every other sentence.  I love everyone, I have plenty of friends of all color/race, I don't use the word at all.  But to think that people aren't open to the use of the N-word is silly.  

And if you have ever played sports of any kind, especially pick up bball games in with some peeps from the hood (which I have many times), then you should know how openly its used.

"peeps in the hood" really fam?

And as a black man, I have never called any white person an "honorary black person." NEVER. And I have never allowed a white person to say that. I am from PG County, and that doesnt happen.

Fact #5 is ridiculous. You would consider this a threat?

rrwBw.jpg

*Reports this death threat to the mods*

and this is what I stated a few days ago. I knew this would happen.

And as a black man, I have never called any white person an "honorary black person." NEVER. And I have never allowed a white person to say that. I am from PG County, and that doesnt happen.

*Reports this death threat to the mods*

and this is what I stated a few days ago. I knew this would happen.

I'm not saying that any white person should use the N-word at all.  Nobody should use the word, society should be past that now, but they aren't.

I am in 100% agreement with you the fact that what Incognito said was wrong.  He got fired, and he should be fired. I hope the racist piece of **** never sees another snap in the NFL, including practice squads.  

But, Martin equally did wrong by participating in the shenanigans and sending a threatening meme via text.  No normal place of work would accept either persons behavior, regardless of race.

So Joe, please answer the following questions.  

1]  In the majority of workplaces would Incognito be fired for his racist/threatening voice mail he left to a co-worker?

2]  In the majority of workplaces would Martin be fired for the threatening meme he sent via text to a co-worker?

Me too bro.  White boy from Largo High School, and it happens all the time and it happens today.

PG represent.

I used to roll in all the places white folk are afraid to go to.

In the majority of work places Incognito wouldn't be on the leadership council and assigned to mentor someone. Perhaps the meme was a product of his mentoring, the voicemail and texts sent from incognito show what kind of language he prefers. Perhaps his young understudy was simply following the example? Though I still maintain a meme is not on the same planet as a direct statement. It would require context to be viewed as a threat. Context incognito denied existed on national tv.

It's too late to fire both anyway. Miami is in full C.Y.A. mode, something anyone in business should understand. If the coaches sent someone after Martin to "toughen him up" there could be liability. I'm sure the league and Goodell, who worries incessantly about the shine of the shield, aren't happy with them. The owner is jumping through hoops, which I'm sure wealthy men hate more than most, and the team is falling apart having just lost to the lowly Bucs. I doubt Martin ever plays for the Dolphins again, and maybe he never plays in the NFL again, but it's too late for the dolphins to take a hard line stance with him unless some damning information comes out.

Archived