Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Idiot's Guide To Play Calling - How To Get Your Franchise Qb And Sputtering Offense Back On Track

DC9

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=13491&f=2039183

Driving home yesterday I was listening to Cooley and Czabe as I normally do.

There is a segment in hour 3 called "Cooley's Keys" where Chris pics out an aspect of the Redskins game and gives his take on what they need to do to be successful.

If you click on the link, it may take you to the Greg Cossell interview... just click on hour 3 and it's the first segment that is coverd. 

Basically, Cooley supports my OP and a lot of the discussion in here over the last couple of days almost to a "T". :)

Thus further confirming the smarts of our fare messageboard.

I've been screaming for more Answer #1 every game.  In fact, fake it more than 1/2 the time.  As long as there's some back side protection and RGIII is confident he's not going to get plowed, fake the handoff, spin around, roll out, and find the open man.  If, prior to the snap, it looks like that option will be snuffed out, then hand off.  If Grif's going to the right, put someone out there to help out -- he doesn't have to play RT, just help Polumbus with a chip block and then head up field.  As for going to the left, isn't RGIII athletic enough to manage this?  We've often seen him roll out and then roll *back* to square up for a deep throw.

I noticed during the Denver game whenever RGIII was rolling out or ran out of the pocket, Denver's D adjusted accordingly and there were always 1 to 2 players containing him. And of course, there were only 2 or 3 routes being run, and were all covered...

Smart defenses are trying to qb contain Griff on most downs.

I noticed during the Denver game whenever RGIII was rolling out or ran out of the pocket, Denver's D adjusted accordingly and there were always 1 to 2 players containing him, sitting pat with a 5 yard cushion. And of course, there were only 2 or 3 routes being run, and were all covered...

Smart defenses are trying to qb contain Griff on most downs.

Driving home yesterday I was listening to Cooley and Czabe as I normally do.

There is a segment in hour 3 called "Cooley's Keys" where Chris pics out an aspect of the Redskins game and gives his take on what they need to do to be successful.

If you click on the link, it may take you to the Greg Cossell interview... just click on hour 3 and it's the first segment that is coverd. 

Basically, Cooley supports my OP and a lot of the discussion in here over the last couple of days almost to a "T". :)

Thus further confirming the smarts of our fare messageboard.

I was also listening and commented in the GHH's thread. Cooley basically spells out the problems and answers to the passing game and its almost exactly what we've been talking about.

10-30-13 The Drive with Cooley and Czabe Hour 3 (37:20)

Should be a MUST listen for all those involved with this debate.

It's really simpler than you make it out to be. Our running game is carrying the offense at this point and you have to give the OC the credit the for that. 

What I don't understand is that so many people criticized the playcalling against the Broncos but what choice did we have that game? We got up 21-7. They answered back. 14-21. We Ran TWICE on first and second down. Obviously at that point they were so keyed on the run and the short game that it was stuffed. On third down they passed the ball and incomplete. The broncos got the ball back and scored again. 21-21. Instead of doing the exact same thing and running against a defense that FIGURED OUT THAT ALL WE CAN DO IS RUN THE BALL. Kyle decided to pass the ball against a BAD PASSING DEFENSE. Whether it is The wideouts fault, RG3's fault, kyles fault, or even mikes fault, it did not work. BUT, there was no REASON not to pass the ball in that situation. They were giving us down the field routes and intermediate routes. We have PLENTY of people on this forum who have given us proof that receivers were getting open. The playcalling seemed to expose the weakness of Denver's defense and switched from run to pass when they started putting more attention toward the run. 

This is not a shot at anybody alone. I don't know whether RG3 is not doing what he should be doing, Kyle/Mike aren't coaching the QB properly, the wideouts are clueless, or the protection sucks, but SOMETHING in the passing game is preventing execution from being 100%. I would not say it is the playcalling though, because from what I have gathered from people who have studied the plays, there people OPEN, and they were stacking against the run at that point. 

Royale,

This is more of a discussion on how to get the offense moving again.  Even how, just because those throws are open, getting WRs involved early in the game with high percentage passing improves timing and execution down the field.

So, I started this post about a day and a half ago, and then work got in the way.  :P damn having to earn a living. 

Something interesting that I was thinking about yesterday, while I was working: early in games, the 'Skins really have a conundrum: Do you call some easy pass plays early, hoping to get Robert comfortable and in rhythm? Or do you start by trying to establish the run, so you can use Play Action.  You run better than you pass.  

If you start by passing, you could go, incomplete, run, incomplete, punt, in about 46 seconds. Or it could be inc, inc, inc, if you want to throw something short on 2nd down.  And then EVERYBODY would ask, "well, why the hell didn't you run more?"  The reason is that you're trying to get your QB comfortable with easy passes early. But, given what we've seen, there's no guarantee that the 'Skins would hit the easy stuff.  

Alternatively, you can start run, run, and then hope that you either pick up a first, or 3rd and short.  But then, your first pass of the game is on 3rd down.

I personally like the idea of running on first down, and throwing on second, almost regardless of the outcome of first down.  I HATE it when the first pass of the game comes in known passing, and pressure situation.  

But, I'd probably pass a little more early, just to try and get Robert into a rhythm.  But, the "Run the damn ball" police will be out in force, especially if it doesn't work. 

Eh, I dunno. Tough call. 

Different topic, I will say that in real-time, the throw to Morgan looked worse than freeze-framed.  

Morgan should have caught the ball.  BUT, that throw should have been out in front, and it was thrown late.  Morgan was open way before the throw came.  If it was thrown on time, it would have been an easier catch.

No excuses for Morgan, though. he should have caught the ball.

I guess the real issue here is that the entire operation is out of synch.  The timing is just off on everything in the passing game. Which is so different than last year, when they would run those wonderful little play actions passes out of the pistol, and then BANG, hit somebody wide open in the middle of the field.  This year, it's play action, wait, wait, wait, hitch, run, scramble, throw.  And it's not as effective. 

I'd have to look at the all 22 to see WHY that is.  But, what I can see is guys are getting open a lot of the time, but the ball isn't finding them when they are open.  

I think that there is definitely blame for the OC here.  But, I just don't find it in play calling. And in sequence of play calling. Sometimes there are some odd sequences.  But, you're trying to do things that are our of type in order to not be predictable.  

Shrug.  

At the moment, the team is poorly coached, and executing terribly. They need to get it fixed.  Hopefully they will on Sunday.  But for that to happen, a lot of things that have been going wrong have to go right, and it starts with the QB being comfortable and accurate.  And whatever the OC has to do to make that so, he needs to do. 

I just finished http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/10/30/the-degradation-of-a-young-stud-part-i-starring-robert-griffin/

and think it covered many of the points that have already been raised here, but also had some new insights. I believe a worthwhile read particularly for the way he details how the injury has affected our offensive scheme, and what Denver did defensively against us.

I just finished http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/10/30/the-degradation-of-a-young-stud-part-i-starring-robert-griffin/

and think it covered many of the points that have already been raised here, but also had some new insights. I believe a worthwhile read particularly for the way he details how the injury has affected our offensive scheme, and what Denver did defensively against us.

That's a great piece and better than anything done in here. 

Bottom line is this offense is still a work in progress. Griffin and his knee are a work in progress and this squad is a work in progress.  More patience is needed.  Unfortunately when the word patience is used, most posters will roll their eyes, become apoplectic and start convulsing.  Such is the mental state of todays average Redskin fan.  Still, the average Redskin fan would do well to read more and post less.

I just watched Kyles press conference where he addressed the issue of not running the ball in the fourth quarter.

Wow, this guy needs to seek life elsewhere and soon.

To actually say that "we were running the ball with success in the third quarter, so i felt we needed to change it up so that the defense doesnt get a read on us" is absolutely mind blowing.

This is the most common mistake that "bad" play callers make.

Also to say that he had specific plays that he wanted to run when the defense presented a specific look, is a travesty and this guy needs to be fired.

That statement alone tells me that he is not in this for the Redskins he's in this for the career of Kyle Shanahan.

When you run the ball as well as the Redskins were running, you keep running until they stop it.

ESPECIALLY when you are facing Peyton ****ing Manning, holy cow.

I have been a fan for a long time, since 1987 to be specific and I have never seen such bad play calling in all my life.

I'm not even going to get into Haslett, that asshat needs to go back to whatever hole he crawled out of and please get out of football.

sheesh

When you run the ball as well as the Redskins were running, you keep running until they stop it.

Totally agree.  Wait until they actually do stop the run to change it up, not before.  Sounds like Kyle over-analyzes a bit.

I do remember the turning point in the game however (if memory serves).  Broncos scored to make it 21-14, and they stopped Morris on 1st and 2nd, then the 3rd down pass failed.  3-and-out at a critical moment.

I just watched Kyles press conference where he addressed the issue of not running the ball in the fourth quarter.

Wow, this guy needs to seek life elsewhere and soon.

To actually say that "we were running the ball with success in the third quarter, so i felt we needed to change it up so that the defense doesnt get a read on us" is absolutely mind blowing.

This is the most common mistake that "bad" play callers make.

Also to say that he had specific plays that he wanted to run when the defense presented a specific look, is a travesty and this guy needs to be fired.

That statement alone tells me that he is not in this for the Redskins he's in this for the career of Kyle Shanahan.

I have been a fan for a long time, since 1987 to be specific and I have never seen such bad play calling in all my life.

I'm not even going to get into Haslett, that asshat needs to go back to whatever hole he crawled out of and please get out of football.

sheesh

Except they keyed on to the Run in the Denver game and forced kyle to go pass. We were up 21-14 and we ran twice on first and second down and got stuffed. They obviously keyed on to the run and he tried to transition to pass. For whatever reason the passing game didn't work.

I don't know where else to put this, and I'm not going to start a new thread for it, but I went back and watched the entire game on the "all 22" film.  About 2-3 times for each play, just, you know, because I'm a geek and because I was interested.  

Some general observations:

1. 1. They started with a "shot play" to open the game.  And there were 4 different guys open at different times on that play. There was a play to be made there, but Robert held the ball, and eventually scrambled for 4 yards.  This was a sign of things to come. The idea was to get the ball to Garcon. And he flashed open, and then got covered up.  But was immediately open off of the end-around fake, and so was Morris, after the fake.
  2. 2. On the second play, an incomplete to Reed, if Robert had gone through his progression, and he had the time to do so, he would have seen Morgan completely wide open. 
  3. 3. On the first third down play, the middle receiver (I think it was Morgan, but can't really tell), ran a crossing route, and got open.  However, the timing was off, and Robert kept the ball.  Moss was lined inside of him, and broke outside, and the defender went with him, which left Morgan (I think) on a safety. It's not 100% clear that even if he'd gotten the ball he would have picked up the 1st, but if he catches it in stride, he'd have a pretty good chance.  
  4. 4.That first 3 play sequence was really symptomatic of virtually the entire game.  The whole offensive operation didn't look fluid.  There were guys who got open consistently, but something bad almost always happened: Either Robert held the ball, the pass wasn't accurate, the protection broke down, or there was a drop. 
  5. 5. I think, after careful examination, I think the largest culprit is indecision by the QB.  There were times when he was very decisive, and threw some beautiful balls. There was a slant to Reed that was excellent, and the pass in the endzone to Moss was absolutely perfect.  (Though, Moss dropped it.) But, the offense was not running smoothly, and a lot of that was because the ball was not thrown in rhythm.  You didn't see a lot of the typical WCO footwork, where the drop and hitch-steps are connected to the route combinations. Which, whether Robert is in shotgun, pistol, or under-center, I believe is still the basic principle of this offense.
  6. 6. I actually believe that if the 'Skins had been able to hit a few of the plays early, they would have gotten a little more confidence in the passing game.  And some of the early pass plays were there to be had, but the first option was covered up, and the second or third were open.  
  7. 7. During the game, the 'Skins really made it difficult on themselves.  They had plays called that got guys open, but for one reason or another, even on completions, they made it look harder than it actually needed to be.  If Robert threw the ball a little earlier, and a little bit more in rhythm, he would have avoided some hits.  It really seemed as though on a lot of plays, not all, but a lot, he was just unsure of where to go with the ball early.  
  8. 8. I blame this entirely on the fact that he missed the entire pre-season.  To me, this is to be expected.  A lot of things they ran last year got the primary guy open so much, he didn't have to make a lot of reads. And built into the progression was just "take off and run." Cooley has kept coming back to that point, and since he was in the offensive room last year, I tend to believe him.  But this year, teams are doing a little better job taking the primary receiver away, Robert is not the run threat he was last year (he got chased down from behind by a NT and a LB at different times, which didn't happen much last year), so he's got to be more "polished" in the pass game.  And with the fact that he missed the entire off-season, he's not there yet.  I'm positive he'll get there, but he's not there yet.
  9. 9. On the critical sequence of the game at 21-21, Morgan could have done more to help Robert by making a catch on 1st down. But the throw was behind him. But there was some un-necesary pressure on the play.  The FB went low on a rusher, kidnof wiffed, then Morris tried to pick him up, and also kindof wiffed, and he tapped Robert on the left shoulder as he was throwing the ball. Honestly, that guy shouldn't have been within 7 yards of the QB with 2, that's right 2, guys who got their hands on him.  But, there was also a clear window to throw into, and Robert should have stuck that thing in there, and Morgan is off to the races. (Which, given his lack of top-end speed, he probably loses.) This is the type of throw that makes QBs like Brees, Peyton, Brady and Rodgers elite. If they had the same look, it would be SHOCKING if the ball didn't hit the receiver right in the numbers.  But the 'Skins made it more difficult for their QB by bumbling the protection, and then the receiver didn't bail the QB out. But it was still an inaccurate throw. 
  10. 10. On second down, they had a 3 receiver route. He was doubled.  That's where the ball went.  Reed had beaten his man and was WIDE open.  Nobody picked up Morgan, who was in the backfield with Robert and Morris as he ran sort of circle route.  Either a throw to Morgan or Reed, and there is big yardage.  However.  the blocking scheme was a bit interesting, and I wonder if there was some mis-communication. The entire line blocked to the right, and TW picked up the DT.  Paulsen came across the face of the QB (He was lined up to the right of Robert) to pick up the DE on the Left side of the offensive line.  That seems odd, and like a bad idea.  The DE pushed Paulsen back like a rag-doll, and forced Griff to change his launch point. After watching this like 20 times, I think that it's because they're trying to sell the fake. And that part kindof worked, if Robert had handed the ball off to Morris, he would have been untouched for about 5 yards. But, that leaves the DE on that side un-blocked for a PA pass.  If I was Kyle, I would think about maybe changing how that protection is supposed to work.  Because asking a TE to pick up a DE who's already got a head of steam isn't a great plan.  Now, last year, the DE was just standing still waiting to see if the RB or QB kept the ball. That's not happening this year, and our offense has to adjust.  

All that said, the offense could get better in a hurry, if they clean some things up.  There are guys open.  There is, at times sufficient blocking.  But, they just can't seem to get things rolling.  

I don't know where else to put this, and I'm not going to start a new thread for it, but I went back and watched the entire game on the "all 22" film.  About 2-3 times for each play, just, you know, because I'm a geek and because I was interested.  

1. 1. They started with a "shot play" to open the game.  And there were 4 different guys open at different times on that play. There was a play to be made there, but Robert held the ball, and eventually scrambled for 4 yards.  This was a sign of things to come. The idea was to get the ball to Garcon. And he flashed open, and then got covered up.  But was immediately open off of the end-around fake, and so was Morris, after the fake.
  2. 2. On the second play, an incomplete to Reed, if Robert had gone through his progression, and he had the time to do so, he would have seen Morgan completely wide open. 
  3. 3. On the first third down play, the middle receiver (I think it was Morgan, but can't really tell), ran a crossing route, and got open.  However, the timing was off, and Robert kept the ball.  Moss was lined inside of him, and broke outside, and the defender went with him, which left Morgan (I think) on a safety. It's not 100% clear that even if he'd gotten the ball he would have picked up the 1st, but if he catches it in stride, he'd have a pretty good chance.  
  4. 4.That first 3 play sequence was really symptomatic of virtually the entire game.  The whole offensive operation didn't look fluid.  There were guys who got open consistently, but something bad almost always happened: Either Robert held the ball, the pass wasn't accurate, the protection broke down, or there was a drop. 
  5. 5. I think, after careful examination, I think the largest culprit is indecision by the QB.  There were times when he was very decisive, and threw some beautiful balls. There was a slant to Reed that was excellent, and the pass in the endzone to Moss was absolutely perfect.  (Though, Moss dropped it.) But, the offense was not running smoothly, and a lot of that was because the ball was not thrown in rhythm.  You didn't see a lot of the typical WCO footwork, where the drop and hitch-steps are connected to the route combinations. Which, whether Robert is in shotgun, pistol, or under-center, I believe is still the basic principle of this offense.
  6. 6. I actually believe that if the 'Skins had been able to hit a few of the plays early, they would have gotten a little more confidence in the passing game.  And some of the early pass plays were there to be had, but the first option was covered up, and the second or third were open.  
  7. 7. During the game, the 'Skins really made it difficult on themselves.  They had plays called that got guys open, but for one reason or another, even on completions, they made it look harder than it actually needed to be.  If Robert threw the ball a little earlier, and a little bit more in rhythm, he would have avoided some hits.  It really seemed as though on a lot of plays, not all, but a lot, he was just unsure of where to go with the ball early.  
  8. 8. I blame this entirely on the fact that he missed the entire pre-season.  To me, this is to be expected.  A lot of things they ran last year got the primary guy open so much, he didn't have to make a lot of reads. And built into the progression was just "take off and run." Cooley has kept coming back to that point, and since he was in the offensive room last year, I tend to believe him.  But this year, teams are doing a little better job taking the primary receiver away, Robert is not the run threat he was last year (he got chased down from behind by a NT and a LB at different times, which didn't happen much last year), so he's got to be more "polished" in the pass game.  And with the fact that he missed the entire off-season, he's not there yet.  I'm positive he'll get there, but he's not there yet.
  9. 9. On the critical sequence of the game at 21-21, Morgan could have done more to help Robert by making a catch on 1st down. But the throw was behind him. But there was some un-necesary pressure on the play.  The FB went low on a rusher, kidnof wiffed, then Morris tried to pick him up, and also kindof wiffed, and he tapped Robert on the left shoulder as he was throwing the ball. Honestly, that guy shouldn't have been within 7 yards of the QB with 2, that's right 2, guys who got their hands on him.  But, there was also a clear window to throw into, and Robert should have stuck that thing in there, and Morgan is off to the races. (Which, given his lack of top-end speed, he probably loses.) This is the type of throw that makes QBs like Brees, Peyton, Brady and Rodgers elite. If they had the same look, it would be SHOCKING if the ball didn't hit the receiver right in the numbers.  But the 'Skins made it more difficult for their QB by bumbling the protection, and then the receiver didn't bail the QB out. But it was still an inaccurate throw. 
  10. 10. On second down, they had a 3 receiver route. He was doubled.  That's where the ball went.  Reed had beaten his man and was WIDE open.  Nobody picked up Morgan, who was in the backfield with Robert and Morris as he ran sort of circle route.  Either a throw to Morgan or Reed, and there is big yardage.  However.  the blocking scheme was a bit interesting, and I wonder if there was some mis-communication. The entire line blocked to the right, and TW picked up the DT.  Paulsen came across the face of the QB (He was lined up to the right of Robert) to pick up the DE on the Left side of the offensive line.  That seems odd, and like a bad idea.  The DE pushed Paulsen back like a rag-doll, and forced Griff to change his launch point. After watching this like 20 times, I think that it's because they're trying to sell the fake. And that part kindof worked, if Robert had handed the ball off to Morris, he would have been untouched for about 5 yards. But, that leaves the DE on that side un-blocked for a PA pass.  If I was Kyle, I would think about maybe changing how that protection is supposed to work.  Because asking a TE to pick up a DE who's already got a head of steam isn't a great plan.  Now, last year, the DE was just standing still waiting to see if the RB or QB kept the ball. That's not happening this year, and our offense has to adjust.  

All that said, the offense could get better in a hurry, if they clean some things up.  There are guys open.  There is, at times sufficient blocking.  But, they just can't seem to get things rolling.  

TREMENDOUS post.

Hope the little things go right tomorrow and RG3 and the offense explode.

Some of this is accurate but a majority of it isn't but it's not your fault.. You have to understand the read schemes of the offense to determine if a WR was really open or not.Just because you think a guy is open and that should be a read doesn't mean it is. Guys running open on the backside of a play don't mean anything. The decision is made pre-snap to work one side of the field and the progressions change from deep to short or short to deep based on how the QB is dropping, straight drops are different than boot reads ect..

-VOR

I stopped reading after your third 'play breakdown'. No disrespect but in my opinion either you began viewing with your mind already made up and therefore saw what you wanted or your understanding/ability to grade QB play is underdeveloped.

I think that the same could be said for you.  You've got your mind made up that the scheme is mostly to blame, and you won't be moved off that spot. So, admitting that anything but the scheme is at fault is very difficult for you.  

On that third play, which is where you apparently determined I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, you can SEE the read progression when you watch the film from behind the QB.  

Robert immediately looks to the left, and it's pretty clear that the primary read is the outside receiver, who's running some type of a stutter and go. He beats the DB off the line, and is in the "Honey Hole" in front of the DB with the safety coming in from the numbers. It actually looks as though the QB threw the ball right as his back foot was planing on the 5 step drop after the shotgun snap (And you can freeze the film right when the back foot plants, see that Robert is staring directly at the outside receiver to his left) He could get the ball to the receiver. It would be that typical fade type throw that just drops right in right before the safety gets there. This is the route that Brees and Rodgers, specifically, make their money on. And he was absolutely looking that direction from the snap. You can also see Garcon's head look back up as though he was looking for the ball.  But the ball didn't come out. 

You can then see him go through the progression from left all the way to the right.  His first hitch step takes him to read the middle of the field, (Moss does come open on the left sideline, the defender slips, but Robert has moved on by that point, so point is moot.) When he's looking at the middle of the field, I believe he's moved to Jordan Reed, who came from the offensive right and ran a post, but was doubled, and truly covered. 

Robert then takes a third hitch step, to go further right, and the only guy there is Morgan, running a shallow cross. 

Morgan is behind 2 defenders, and clearing, and in front of another.  He is open when Robert gets to him in the progression, but honestly, even if the ball is thrown and caught, he might not make the 1st down because there is a defender closing. By this point, Polumbus has pushed his defender behind the QB, he's lost.  Chester and Monty do a good job sealing the side of the line, but Polumbus' guy is able to give chase.  This could be why Robert couldn't throw the ball.  But Morgan was open.  Would he have gotten the 1st? Dunno.  His route was behind the marker, and he had a defender in trail position that could have made the tackle. But if he'd caught it in stride, he'd at least have had a play.  It could be Robert couldn't get him the ball.  

This is a reasonably easy play to diagnose, only because the behind the QB view clearly shows the hitch steps, and where the QB is looking, and what order.  You can also see him read all the way from far left to far right before he takes off. Which sortof negates the "half the field" theory.  

Some of this is accurate but a majority of it isn't but it's not your fault.. You have to understand the read schemes of the offense to determine if a WR was really open or not.Just because you think a guy is open and that should be a read doesn't mean it is. Guys running open on the backside of a play don't mean anything. The decision is made pre-snap to work one side of the field and the progressions change from deep to short or short to deep based on how the QB is dropping, straight drops are different than boot reads ect..

If you watch the "All 22" in conjunction with the "behind the QB" view, you can make a pretty good guess where the QB is looking, and what his read pattern is.  Not always, as there are times when the QB purposely will "look off" a defender, or try to move the safety or LB with his eyes.  I agree, just looking at the routes by themselves doesn't tell you anything.  But if you look at everything together, you can make a pretty good guess what the progression is.  It's always a guess, unless you know exactly what play was called, including the route structure and reads. Which I clearly don't have access to.  

But, if you look at the the QB, where he's looking, and what's happening in front of him when he's looking there, you can make an educated guess.

And lastly, every player on the field is "live." If you're going to argue that the offense tells the QB to forget about players because pre-snap he's reading only one side of the field or the other, I'd say that's poppy****.  And the proof of that is watching the QB's head go right to left, or left to right, from one sideline to the other, CONSTANTLY.  Most offenses have some type of an outlet guy built into the route combination.  So, if everything else is covered up, and the clock inside their head goes of, look for the guy escaping from the backfield as the dump-off guy.  That's not new or uncommon.  And generally, the outlet guy bugs out in the opposite direction of the primary read. Again, not 100% of the time, but a lot of the time, based on what I've seen.  

How many times have we seen offenses, and WCO type offenses, where the QB hits the drop, hitches 3 times, and then just floats one out to the RB or FB as an outlet? Happens all the time, since the 1980's.  It's almost always part of the progression, regardless of where the primary receiver is. 

It happens to many people when they're first exposed to all-22 and try to evaluate film.....everybody looks open and before they know it they imagine a scenario for the QB to make a play every time.

I have actually been exposed for quite some time.  

You are not lying..I call it the Madden syndrome. 

I haven't played Madden since 1999.  For what it's worth.  

I also don't have a dog in the fight.  There are times the QB could have gotten the ball out of his hands faster.  There are times when the protection broke down. There are times when there were no guys open.  There were times when the receivers dropped the ball. There are times when the play-calling sequence was not great.  

All of these things happened.  Nobody is blameless.  

Archived