Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Idiot's Guide To Play Calling - How To Get Your Franchise Qb And Sputtering Offense Back On Track

DC9

Season spiraling out of control?

Getting joked at behind your back... maybe even to your face about how you only got your job because your daddy won two Super Bowls?

Are you on the verge of losing an entire locker room, fan base, and franchise quarterback that you traded so much for?

Heck, are you even calling plays that are open down the field, but your QB/WR/OL are having trouble executing?

Well... I have got good news for you!  For the price of absolutely FREE... this dedicated fan is going to help you get your passing game into rhythm.  This will help out everyone.

Scenario 1 -

Given that you have a quarterback who is having trouble making reads and his timing in the pocket is not the best right now.

You want to make his reads easier, especially EARLY IN THE GAME to give him confidence and establish a report with his weapons.

Let's also pretend (for instance) that you have a Pro Bowl running back and an offensive line that's designed to run the football --- you have a running game that's moving the football with some success on the ground --- and you notice that as you run that RB, the opposition's Defensive Coordinator walks a safety or two down into the box.

What's your next move?

Answer 1 -

Simply use the same run action with your offensive line and your running back, and you have the quarterback do a play action bootleg. 

- Benefits -

o Your Quarterback is not a stationary target

o Your Quarterback only has half the field to read

o Your Quarterback (who is a natural athlete) is on the move, and his legs are in play to make gain yardage if necessary

o It will open up the running game later in the game

o It tires out, confuses, and frustrates a defense when working in concert with the running game

o It will give your QB and his offense CONFIDENCE --- especially early in the game

UL-05.jpg

As you can see in the rather crude drawing above... there are several weapons flooding to one side of the field.  The pass rush is dealing with the offensive line and run action at the other side of the field (buying you an extra couple of seconds) and you should have at least one easy completion if the routes are run correctly.

Easy peasie lemon squeezy!

Not your cup of tea though?  Okay....

Answer 2 -

You see the same thing.  LBs cheating up on the run and at least one safety down in the box to assist with your running game.  You have to loosen the box so that your offensive line has even numbers to block for your running back... you obviously have some form of man coverage on the outside against your 2 WRs.  With a single high safety over the top it's pretty easy to see it's single high and it'll be in man coverage and that single high will patrol the middle of the field to assist the CBs on either side OR he'll be playing the run if the RB squirts through.  This play works better if it's tight man or press... if you start seeing that, you have your WRs both jab step to the inside and then swim over the cornerback to the sideline (leaving about 5 yards in between the route and the sideline) and run straight up the field.  The QB makes a quick read as he is dropping back (three steps), looking at who gets the best jump off the ball and at the last second checking the safety... then whoever has the best leverage or whichever side the FS doesn't have leverage on... you throw them the ball to them in stride (as the back foot hits on the 3rd step.  The ball has to come out).  This is called a fade.

- Benefits -

o Low percentage, but high reward if you are able to hit it.

o This is now a staple route with all offenses in the NFL... except ours

o It gets the ball out of the QBs hand quickly

o If you don't hit it, but are close on execution, I garuntee you that 2nd safety comes out of the box to help in pass defense, thus opening up your running game again

offensive-backfield-motions-sets-plays.h

As you can see above, the WR is fading toward the sideline.  That's why it's imperative that about 5 yards is left between the sideline and the route initially and only gradually is the route progressing towards the sideline.  This is a lower percentage play than the bootleg, but it's a higher reward.

Scenario 2 -

Let's say you have a QB coming off of major knee surgery and teams have demonstrated that they like to double a-gap blitz him early in games.  You're stuck trying to get him into a rhythm and you're calling plays that are open down the field, but someone on that 11 man unit misses his assignment and the whole thing goes to poop... let's see what we can do to loosen those blitzes.

Answer 1 -

The conventional HB screen pass.  I know, how boring right?  This play got Andy Reid paid for over a decade in Philly and for a while had Donovan McNabb on the fringe of the Hall of Fame.

- Benefits -

o You get a RB that you traded up in the draft to get (Helu) touches, and he can make plays with that football in space

o You invite the pass rush up the field for this play, and when that ball goes over there head... it's demoralizing.  They want to hit your QB... they want to hurt your QB... they are coming with bad intentions at your QB... and oh snap... there goes Roy Helu, Jr...

o This will give those defenders something else to think about

o You don't run this as much as you think you do... trust me.  Especially on 3rd and "hey, we have a shot at making this here"... you only run this on 3rd and "get Sav ready".

o It will give your QB and his offense CONFIDENCE --- especially early in the game

hqdefault.jpg

Forgive the Madden screen capture here... but I think we all know what a screen pass looks like.  You make sure you don't dump it too early, and your weapons and LINEMEN need to make sure they sell their routes to the defense.  Coach them up to not be lazy. 

You can use this play more than once a game and it's becoming trendy to use it in the Red Zone.  At least Sean Peyton seems to think so.

Answer 2 -

Let's say those LBs are really sneaking up and declaring at the line of scrimmage.  How about we loosen them up a bit.  Let's try and call something a little more shallow than a post off of PA and something a little deeper than a screen.  The slant pass is excellent for this. 

- Benefits -

o It helps to establish timing between the QB and WR

o If run properly, it gets the WR the ball in stride

o It will give the QB confidence in his footwork (step-step-step-BOOM)

o It will loosen the LBs who are sugaring the o-line gaps.  If it doesn't... keep running it.  Mike McArthy does.

Slant_route.png

- The Bottom Line -

You need to work on HIGH PERCENTAGE plays to get your offense into rhythm when they are struggling.  Let them gain confidence and start having fun for you again.  You just might stumble onto something that works.

- And always remember -

1)  Use your weapons, they are here for a reason.  But put them in position to win.

2)  mix-up your looks... don't have 84 out there 90% of the time you are running.

3)  Make sure what you are doing is setting up the defense later in the game.  Remember... before this Pistol/zone read offense, the Shanahan offense was the NFL  equivelant of the triple option (1) outside zone (2) QB boot keeper (3) pass the ball to one of your wide open weapons at their respective level.  Pete Carrol and friends haven't forgotten up in Seattle.

4)  Even the best players in the history of this league slump.  It's your job as a coach to get them out of it.  Don't send them out there and make them hit a HR... let them get on base a few times first. 

robert-griffin-iii.jpg

This season is far from over, but the chances to have one our dwindling. 

I still do not understand why Kyle went away from the run game in the second half. The run game was opening things up and keeping Peyton off the field in the first half. The Alfred Morris and Helu jr is a nice combination threat. I know rg3 missed some wide open plays but still to go away from the balance off run and pass..ughhh..good job Kyle..

Great write, DC, like B-Mitch said today, make it smaller, the play list, and KEEP running what works, *uck the Panthers, HAIL!

I'm a big subscriber to this. 

The smaller the playbook (especially when they are 50/50 plays --- where one will beat you deep/short or left/right) increases the chances of success.  The defense has a 50% chance of guessing right... but they also have a 50% chance of guessing it wrong and paying dearly for it.

I still do not understand why Kyle went away from the run game in the second half. The run game was opening things up and keeping Peyton off the field in the first half. The Alfred Morris and Helu jr is a nice combination threat. I know rg3 missed some wide open plays but still to go away from the balance off run and pass..ughhh..good job Kyle..

Hey now... the title is a bit misleading, I'm trying to pin enough blame on both sides.  Ultimately it's a coaches job to get their offense going.  If sexy ain't working, you better be the baddest **** at the club that night ;)

I'm a big subscriber to this. 

The smaller the playbook (especially when they are 50/50 plays --- where one will beat you deep/short or left/right) increases the chances of success.  The defense has a 50% chance of guessing right... but they also have a 50% chance of guessing it wrong and paying dearly for it.

Coach Lombardi just smiled down that BIG ass, **** eating smile of his reading that. God rest him. 

Nailed it again lil' bro'. Balls out there, heart on sleeve, telling it like it is. 

No wonder you're up there vying for 'Public Enemy Numero Uno' on the homer hit list. 

Hail. 

Imagine if Gibbs 2 had these weapons on offense

And Greg Williams' 07 defense with Sean Taylor, LaRon Landry, London Fletcher in the middle, Fred Smoot, Carlos Rogers, Shawn Springs

Lord Jesus, we'd be tearing teams apart

FYI, Joseph Jackson Gibbs (04-07) would be running Alfred Morris like Riggo and setting up the play action to Garçon/Reed

I think this is a good write up and great ideas on how to get this offense on track and what we should be doing. Sound, intelligent football. Unfortunantly, I doubt it would matter what we did gameplay wise because

Robert Griffin, III is horrible.

And

He's not a pro quarterback.

So I'm not sure how much it could help. A horrible QB whose not good enough to be a pro just doesn't seem like the type where any scheme or play call change would help.

I think this is a good write up and great ideas on how to get this offense on track and what we should be doing. Sound, intelligent football. Unfortunantly, I doubt it would matter what we did gameplay wise because

And

So I'm not sure how much it could help. A horrible QB whose not good enough to be a pro just doesn't seem like the type where any scheme or play call change would help.

Right now he is horrible... and right now he's not a pro quarterback.

Stay on topic, please :)

We're trying to solve this rubix cube, Z.

EDIT:  and FWIW, Kyle is not free of the blame and the way he's choosing groom Robert is obviously not working. 

I've been thinking about it long and hard last night and this morning, even through some meetings today (don't tell the boss)... but you don't go from a one read offense to a 4 read offense.  Ween him into.  You can go from one read to three or four reads, but make it to where those are half-field reads.

Progress him.

Wilson not looking great so far this game and the Rams getting pressure and sure enough, as the OP suggests, the OC calls a screen pass that goes for big yards.

If you watch Wilson play, he really doesn't do anything that is mind-blowing (or at least very rarely)... he takes the easy reads that are there.  Just like Linhert.. Just like Palmer... Just like Barkley... Just like Sanchez.  But more often than not, he's reading half the field and he's so deep in his drop that he gets an extra 3 to 4 seconds to throw.

Kyle is doing it wrong.  Robert is missing the open throws.  Both are wrong.  We can find a happy medium and find some success.  But both of them need to put pride aside.  Fat chance I know.  But there is a reason that a lot of the calls in the OP are reflexive answers.  It's because they work and they are simple.  Even if they know those plays are coming, all of them are tough to defend against in the given situations for which I've stated that they need to be called more.

If the Rubix cube is missing a side it's not solvable.

If he's not a pro quarterback not amount of scheming is going to change that. I'm sorry that dealing with the assertions you've made and you've claimed about the guy you're talking about bugs you, but that is relevant to the topic. If the QB is horrible and not a pro QB then fixing play calling is irrelevant. Unkess you believe a horrible, not professional level player is someone you think is can succeed in the nfl simply with a few tweaks to play calling.

Based on YOUR definition of this Rubix cube, play calling can't solve it alone...it would require a new cube to shift around first.

Now I don't agree in the least with your assertions of him being horrible or not a pro QB (neither do which you cached with "right now"), but if we're going off your logic in the OP I figure its relevant to function off your logic for the entire situation.

Personally, I think what you've said mixed with more movement of the pocket and more willingness to run, ala the two previous games, can get the offense clicking perfectly fine because I think RG3 has demonstrated his legs are still dangerous, that his accuracy has been as good if not better when on the move this year, and that it'll help with a continuing to grow and adjust young QB. But if he was honestly horrible and wasn't a professional level player, then I'd think your OP wouldn't be near enough and we'd need to start Rex

If you watch Wilson play, he really doesn't do anything that is mind-blowing (or at least very rarely)... he takes the easy reads that are there.  Just like Linhert.. Just like Palmer... Just like Barkley... Just like Sanchez.  But more often than not, he's reading half the field and he's so deep in his drop that he gets an extra 3 to 4 seconds to throw.

Kyle is doing it wrong.  Robert is missing the open throws.  Both are wrong.  We can find a happy medium and find some success.  But both of them need to put pride aside.  Fat chance I know.  But there is a reason that a lot of the calls in the OP are reflexive answers.  It's because they work and they are simple.  Even if they know those plays are coming, all of them are tough to defend against in the given situations for which I've stated that they need to be called more.

Absolutely agree. Wilson's not done a lot to "wow" me as a passer this year or last. He's had moments, but not amazingly often. His scrambling behind the line and keeping a play alive though has been very impressive. I think they have done a good job with creating an offense around him and slowly evolving it over time.

Also agree with that assertion right. Robert is no where near as accurate this year and has clearly been off far more often. I don't know if it's scheme, or his reads, but there's been some bad decisions to go long all year. He is definitely having more issues reading in a standards every downs pocket drop back situation. That said, he's also shown glimpses this year of plays and talent that just don't exist with those other horrible QBs in this league that helps to separate him.

The most frustrating thing is this offense simply looks so remarkably different this year. I don't know if it's defenses "stoping" it, I don't know if it's griffin reading things wrong, I don't know if it's Kyles play calling...it's hard to say. But it all has to change. The entire offense has been up and down all year long, with more down than up. It's no surprise to me that the only game we truly ran what looked like last years offense was the one game our offense actually looked potent.

I do think there's fault to go around, and some absolutely falls on griffin. A large bit does. Kyle need to improve, the WR corps need to improve, the line need to improve, and Griffin need to improve. All are more than capable and all have improved at times this year...it's just stringing it together consistently.

Any QB can be successful in the NFL in the right scheme in my opinion.  But I am one who values coaching probably more than most on this board (probably with the exception of the members who are coaches and a few others who dig as deep into this game as I love to for no other reason than to find out "why" for myself). 

I won't take back what I've said about Robert Griffin, III until he plays his way out of it.  So if that's what you are after you are barking up the wrong tree.  I have that right as a fan of this team.  He's in a tough spot.  And as I've said in other threads (even today) defenses have found that thing that pisses him off.  Blitzing the a-gaps, press man coverage, a single high and a low robber and quarters... which for some reason kills this "west coast" style offense.  It's killing him.  He has to beat it.  But by the time he gets to that point in the game (with the exception of last week) the offense has had no rhythm what so ever.

If I am Kyle Shanahan, I work on getting them in that rhythm early in the game.  I scrap whatever I'm doing (whether it be open or not) and get the QB I've invested DEEPLY in and make sure he's got timing with his WRs.  Give him high percentage throws and set him up for success when things I've mentioned in the OP are taking place. 

After a game or two of that... add on some checks and some freedom.  Robert is not playing good football and hasn't shown the ability to make more than two reads consistently in this league yet (which a double-a gap blitz will destroy most of the time)... but start over, build him back up, and lets see if he responds to something different.

Also agree with that assertion right. Robert is no where near as accurate this year and has clearly been off far more often. I don't know if it's scheme, or his reads, but there's been some bad decisions to go long all year. He is definitely having more issues reading in a standards every downs pocket drop back situation. That said, he's also shown glimpses this year of plays and talent that just don't exist with those other horrible QBs in this league that helps to separate him.

That highlighted portion (in my opinion) has to do with rhythm early in the game.  If Kyle doesn't get Robert into a Rhythm with those high percentage throws, it is difficult to get back into that after leaning on the run so much.

That could by why Morgan's head wasn't turned around on that pass for all we know.  Kyle never sets anything up.  There's no method to what he does.

Sure, he calls a lot of routes wide open, but there's more to real football than that.  Sure, it works in Madden, but human beings need the chemistry. 

Start basic and refine and build off of that.

Great thread DC9, really appreciate it. Rather than "Robert sucks" or "Kyle sucks" or "WR/OL sucks" this is digging into potential solutions to try to resolve the issues. We know this offense is good when everything is clicking. We saw it last year. We know RG3 does not suck. But defenses made an adjustment and have a formula for beating us right now. Next move Kyle, how ya gonna make your next adjustment to help your QB and get this offense going against the look Ds are showing.

If you watch Wilson play, he really doesn't do anything that is mind-blowing (or at least very rarely)... he takes the easy reads that are there. Just like Linhert.. Just like Palmer... Just like Barkley... Just like Sanchez..

Did you know you just mentioned 4 USC qbs in a row?

Dc9 is doc walker? :)

And, now I get it. Why else would you reference those guys.........,,

Sorry- lagunitas IPA and some excellent Cabernet.

:D

Did you know you just mentioned 4 USC qbs in a row?

Dc9 is doc walker? :)

And, now I get it. Why else would you reference those guys.........,,

Sorry- lagunitas IPA and some excellent Cabernet.

:D

lol, yes, the Pete Carroll connection (and why his QBs are so successful under him)... also why Russell Wilson is a good quarterback, but he's not an MVP caliber guy and does very little to excite lust from a (EDIT:) "educated" football fan who doesn't wear that blue/neon green combo.

And Doc went to UCLA, brother... don't let him hear you having him down as a Trojan lol :)

I am not sure if it has changed this year, but I've always had a bit of an issue with the high to low reads that Kyle professes. It can certainly be useful at times, but it results in too often being late to the higher percentage passes. Griffin needs the freedom (and possibly the schooling) on what receiver to look for first based on what the D shows. There's no shame in hitting your runningback in the flat, particularly if its wide open.

DC9 -you hit the nail on the head. Get Griffin comfortable. Make the D pay for cheating up.

And for the love of God, someone tell Griffin he needs to key on the safety on the deep balls! As soon as they turn their hips (assuming they're not late - a-la Madieu vs Cruz), switch your read. Calling deep routes was less the problem than Griffin reading the coverage poorly (and delivering a poor ball).

Nah, skinny, we're going to want him reading high to low no matter what offense we run here.  The best QBs always identify and control what the safeties are doing during a passing play.  That'll come with time, but that needs to be part of his maturation, so I'm fine with it.

That said, there doesn't need to be that progression every play and I don't know that this was the best way to re-introduce him to the NFL post-injury.

Give him half the field and let him read the levels of the field.  When he's mastered that or they start to take that away, you build off of it (don't completely abandon it, but build off it) and then go into two and three read routes.  Then four read routes, etc.

According to Cooley, yesterday most of the throws he was pumping on or not taking or missing were two read routes vs quarters defense. (IE: The "Garcon was WIDE OPEN for a TD play) -  Read the safety and the CB and the throw goes to either the flat (Morgan) the cross/whip (Reed) or the deep post (Garcon)... he freaked out and threw to Reed... when the other two were wide open.

Obviously that play was open and the same route combo was called earlier in the game... he missed Reed who was wide open the first time, so he sat on Reed the second time --- who was covered.  In terms of two read throws, they literally get no easier than that.

Guess what Kyle... it's open, but it's not working.  Give him half field reads and build him up from there.  Sometimes you do what you have to do.  It is what it is.

Archived