Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

(big response, sorry)

But ... I guess I'm always over thinking things, but, you couldn't have named more guys, that are different in more ways, than that lot.

Like, for me, I feel like one has to realize what we have and what we don't have. Garcon is a short developing route, quick hit on Slant & Screen type guy, who's charged with getting YAC.

Like I said before, Allen Robinson is very similar to Garcon. Maybe that's because I'm using the lens of focus which looks directly at how they each are used, but nonetheless, they be used the same.

Now occasionally a guy like Garcon gets used in other ways, but we know what's the majority code.

What we don't have are the large sequoias, the true boundary guy, who is supposed to run sideline Go, Deep Post, even Deep Dig and simultaneously be a measurables mismatch for jump balls, as well as, a RedZone target for the traditional corner-of-the-endzone fade or the modern two step back-shoulder throw at the goalline.

When you look at the film it's easy to see, but the numbers also verify it, that the reception distribution shows that Evans and Benjamin are the two clubhouse leaders for the "downfield" vertical guy.

-->[url=http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics]http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-

It hurts my head.

It's taken me 5 minutes to delete all of that on my phone, so god only knows how Long it took you to write it. As for any of those guys, I feel like just catching the ball and running crisp routes would be an upgrade over anyone we have, but if we are looking at WR, you have to think Beckham and Landry would better suit us. IMO, we need an guy who runs intermediate routes and can operate out of the slot. Beckham and Landry both do that, and I would take a guy like that over a big giant who is strictly a boundary guy like Benjamin. Evans is a special player with Size speed combo and is a good catcher and route runner. Lee was absolutely unstoppable in 2012 and showed game breaking "speed". I say "speed" because he doesn't have amazing straight line speed but he does have great football speed and after the catch ability. He has inconsistent hands and struggled with injuries this year so I'm sure he will go down the board. A dark horse for me is Abbrederis. Exceptional route runner with great size and hands. He has good game speed and great accel, but his 40 might not be up to par with some of the other guys.

Mel Kiper's latest Mock has 9 WR's going in round 1.  If this were to happen, I'd hope we had a suitable free agent pickup at WR.  Or we'd draft a WR in round 3 (assuming any are even remaining).

Good thing Mel Kiper is an idiot. But seriously, the good thing about being in our situation with numerous glaring holes is that we can practically take BPA on every pick because it will all help us. If there is a huge run on WRs, we don't have to reach for the next best one. We can take ILB, DT, CB, OG, whatever.. .and it will still help us fill a hole. 

IMO, we need an guy who runs intermediate routes and can operate out of the slot.

Well we have two guys who can do that in Garcon and Reed.  Reed's definitely more of an intermediate threat than most TE's.  His moves absolutely kill linebackers in space.

We've got two problems with our passing offense right now.  A) we don't really have a reliable 3rd option (especially now with Hankerson's health and Santana gone).  B ) we lack a consistent deep threat.

Ideally I want a WR to be able to fit both needs A & B, as that seems like someone who would help give the rest of the offense more room to work.  But if all we can get is an improvement to A, it's better than nothing.  Adding talent to the team is good, adding talent that immediately fits in perfectly with everything else is amazing.  Basically like what the Panthers did last draft by adding two very good rookie D-Lineman.

Well we have two guys who can do that in Garcon and Reed. Reed's definitely more of an intermediate threat than most TE's. His moves absolutely kill linebackers in space.

We've got two problems with our passing offense right now. A) we don't really have a reliable 3rd option (especially now with Hankerson's health and Santana gone). B ) we lack a consistent deep threat.

Ideally I want a WR to be able to fit both needs A & B, as that seems like someone who would help give the rest of the offense more room to work. But if all we can get is an improvement to A, it's better than nothing. Adding talent to the team is good, adding talent that immediately fits in perfectly with everything else is amazing. Basically like what the Panthers did last draft by adding two very good rookie D-Lineman.

Garçon seems like more of a quick hitting play kinda guy (screens, curls, slants, dig) and Reed seems to be able to run the entire route tree. Robinson is a true "deep threat" and whenever he is on the field, defenses need to prepare for his speed, but we don't really have a guy who can go over the middle or work the slot, which is what you are getting with Landry and Beckham.

Good thing Mel Kiper is an idiot. But seriously, the good thing about being in our situation with numerous glaring holes is that we can practically take BPA on every pick because it will all help us. If there is a huge run on WRs, we don't have to reach for the next best one. We can take ILB, DT, CB, OG, whatever.. .and it will still help us fill a hole. 

True.

However if there's a run on WR's, there's only a few guys I'd really want to take at #34 instead of trading back for more picks.  Still working on it, but if not for a WR, and the guys below are off the board, then I'd want to trade back to later in the 2nd.

CJ. Mosley (ILB), Aaron Donald (DT), (OL) like Martin, Kouandjio, maybe Timmy Jernigan (DT)

I haven't done a lot of watching the corners, but this feels like a weak CB class compared to last year.  I'm not sure there's a guy at #34 that we'd want to spend that pick on.  Besides Mosley, there are only two ILB I like, but they're probably going in the late 2nd to early 3rd.

Garçon seems like more of a quick hitting play kinda guy (screens, curls, slants, dig) and Reed seems to be able to run the entire route tree. Robinson is a true "deep threat" and whenever he is on the field, defenses need to prepare for his speed, but we don't really have a guy who can go over the middle or work the slot, which is what you are getting with Landry and Beckham.

Garcon loves the Post route, and RG3 loves throwing it to him.  Garcon is someone who works very well in the middle of the field.  I wonder how often he lined up where, but I'm betting he lined up inside the numbers more than we think.

Drafttek has us taking the following:

33. Stephon Tuitt DE34 Notre Dame

66. Ed Reynolds FS Stanford

98. Morgan Moses RT Virginia

130. Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss

162. Carl Bradford OLB34 Arizona State

194. Ty Zimmerman SS Kansas State

I would rather like that draft...

Highly unrealistic, and very usual of Draftek to be unrealistic 

Man, if 9 WRs get taken in the 1st, there's going to be some really good talent left at other positions at #34.  It might be problematic if our whole plan is to get a WR in the 2nd, but if not that'd be great because it probably means we're getting a bona-fide first round talent on defense or on the Oline.

I really doubt that happens.  I could see 5, but 9 would basically mean that all the 1st round AND 2nd round talent for WRs got picked in the 1st.

My worry is that there's a semi-run on WRs and OTs in the 1st, leaving us with lesser options there and making us have to think about trading back.

My hope is that we bolster our defense through FA, while everyone else does to the draft trying to emulate Seattle, resulting in some really good OL and WRs to fall to the 2nd, and last into the early 3rd.

YOUR TEAM:WASHINGTON REDSKINS:YOUR PICKS
R2
WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.
LSU
R3
S JIMMIE WARD
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
R4
WR DONTE MONCRIEF
MISSISSIPPI
R5
DE KAREEM MARTIN
NORTH CAROLINA
R6
RB STORM JOHNSON
UCF
R7
RB DRI ARCHER
KENT STATE

YOUR TEAM:WASHINGTON REDSKINS:YOUR PICKS
R2
DT AARON DONALD
PITTSBURGH
R3
OLB TELVIN SMITH
FLORIDA STATE
R4
S JIMMIE WARD
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
R5
DE KAREEM MARTIN
NORTH CAROLINA
R6
TE CROCKETT GILMORE
COLORADO STATE
R7
RB DRI ARCHER
KENT STATE

Yeah, DT, DE, OLB, and CB are reasonably deep this year, but ILB, and S are not.  Lo and behold, our biggest holes are at ILB and S, and if we get Orakpo re-signed we don't need OLB at all.

I'm not sure if we can get a DT/DE, FS, and ILB in FA in addition to re-signing Orakpo, Riley, Hall, Baker, and maybe Meriweather (and I'd still like a #1 CB there too), but if we somehow can, I'd love to go OT/WR in rounds 2/3.  If one of the top 6 tackles falls to #34, and one of the top 12 or so WRs falls to #66, we could get some really good value.

Crunched some numbers:

Tackles and WRs drafted through #66 from 2010-13

OTs - 6
WRs - 6

OTs - 6
WRs - 9

OTs - 9
WRs - 7

OTs - 8
WRs - 4

Average:
OTs - 7.25
WRs - 6.5

Tackles and WRs drafted through #34 from 2010-2013

OTs - 5
WRs - 3 (Hunter was taken at 34)

OTs - 2
WRs - 5

OTs - 6
WRs - 3

OTs - 5
WRs - 2

Average:
OTs - 4.5
WRs - 3.25

So...something like 5 tackles can be expected to be taken by 34, and 8 tackles by 66.  And 4 WRs taken by 34, and 7 by 66.

ESPN/Scouts Inc. has 9 tackles with a 3rd round grade or higher, 7 of which have a 2nd round grade or higher.  They also have 14 WRs with a 3rd round grade or higher, 9 of which have a 2nd round grade or higher.

CBS/NFLDraftScout has 10 tackles with a 3rd round grade or higher, 8 of which have a 2nd round grade or higher.  They also have 15 WRs with a 3rd round grade or better, 10 of which have a 2nd round grade or better.  (I also didn't include guys listed as rounds 3-4 for the 3rd round grades, or the guys listed 2-3 in the 2nd round grades)

Long story short, I think going OT in the 2nd and WR in the 3rd should yield some VERY good picks for the position.

Long story short, I think going OT in the 2nd and WR in the 3rd should yield some VERY good picks for the position.

Fascinating analysis and post. I am not opposed to going OT in the 2nd but if we are going to target an OL in the FA cycle I'd prefer Anthony Collins to a 2nd round pick. I'd like to use that 2nd on a LG or DE ... then again, if we get Houston in FA that mitigates DE a bit ... so maybe WR or TE would be a nice get there, especially if Safarian-Jenkins is around. Not saying we NEED a TE, but that would be a mean TE duo that might mitigate needing a legit #2 WR a bit.

I also don't think Riley will be back at what he seems to be asking ... so it might be increasingly likely that we have to address ILB in the 2nd or 3rd.

Robinson is a deep threat, but not a particularly reliable one.  He needed great placement while in stride to make those catches.  If he had to adjust to a ball and it was a contested catch it was an automatic loss for him.  He's completely one dimensional.  The thing that makes a Bryant or Evans or Benjamin so great is that they don't need perfect passes to make that deep catch.  They adjust and they'll fight that corner for the ball.  Robinson has his uses, but he's not the type of player you want to move forward as your only real deep threat.

Hey, Monk... I think you and I think alike.  Here's my draft from Fanspeak. TY D&S for hours of fun!

2 (34) DT Ra'Shede Hageman - Bowen Replacement (injuries and $$$) either this year or next.  Love the long arms and drive.

3 (66) CB Bradley Roby - Possible Minnefield replacement this year. Very fast and plays tough.

4 (98) WR Donte Moncrief - Goodbye Aldrick Robinson and/or Josh Morgan

5 (130) DT Daniel McCullers - Finally a beefy NT.  May move Coefield to DE. Now our front three looks formidable with good depth.

6 (162) ILB Dede Lattimore - May be camp fodder but with K Robinson's injury prone and Fletchers retirement he could stick.  I'd prefer Burroughs at this spot but he was gone in the fifth.

7 (194) TE  Crockett Gilmore - Good value TE may make the team with Davis gone.

I feel we need to go FA on defense for ILB/S/CB.

I hope the buzz I hear that we can land Byrd is true. I think a solid, proven vet will help our second year guys. I have grown to accept Hall, so I do hope he is our FA CB, he knows system and I have confidence in Amerson as 2nd CB. Reminds me a lot of Rogers, but he actually had some picks as a rook.

2nd/3Rd is definitely Ol/WR...I don't know which order. BPA, I wont be upset either way. I think we all seen projected stud WR's bust. I think scouting OL is a little easier. Thus, unless the scouts feel the WR is a slam dunk, go BPA at OL. Even if its a G.

I think there is def gonna be talent in 3rd at WR and I got a bad feeling we're gonna have 2 3rd rounders to add a DL via KC (I don't think we should trade KC for any less than a 2nd).

Does anyone object to a stud OG in early 2nd? Also, I'm hoping we upgrade C with Mack, which most feel he is possibly best in league.

I wish I knew somewhere I could find info about special teams ability. Such as, do these players have the fire to play their asses off on special teams?

A lot of the times, those are the UDFA guys who want to prove themselves. A guy who I think could become someone like that? Eddie Lackey from Baylor 

Just ran through a simulation and got this for my results

34- Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech

66- Dominique Easley DT/DE Florida

98- Justin Ellis NT/DT Louisiana Tech

130- Dion Bailey FS/SS USC

162- Ryan Grant WR Tulane

194- Kadeem Edwards OG/OC Tennessee State

Amaro is a great talent but he seems to be just like reed. I can see a niklas or asf because they are more inline tight ends, but I don't know about having duplicate talent at one position. Reed's concussions could warrant an early tight end pick though.

Amaro is a great talent but he seems to be just like reed. I can see a niklas or asf because they are more inline tight ends, but I don't know about having duplicate talent at one position. Reed's concussions could warrant an early tight end pick though.

Just looking at what Gruden had used in Cincy Amaro would make sense. Reed is a better blocker than given credit for. ASJ or Niklas make sense too. I think we end up seeing TE being an earlier pick than expected 

Archived