Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Monroe isnt that bad at defense. He just couldnt guard the 4 position, and Detroit certainly wasnt going to have Drummond that far away from the basket. If the choice was between Monroe and Gortat, like it was for a few years here, I would still take Monroe over Marcin. And i like Marcin.

Dont forget that Milwaukee still has Henson, who i believe is close to a defensive leap. He just needs to stop the stupid fouls. Additionally, they still have Zaza i believe. Who is another defensive/rebounding center. They can mix and match however they feel.

I don't know Skin'Em, I think he is a pretty bad defender.  Like you said, he can't cover PFs or recover to the perimeter, but he is also a floor bound big that offers zero rim protection when he plays the five.  All he can really do is take up space and guard a big man posting up.  But how many opponents are there against which that is actually an asset?  Three?

His limitations on defense wouldn't be so hard to build around if he could shoot.  Then you could stick a rangy, athletic shot blocker a la Nerlens Noel or John Henson at the four next to him to help cover him up on defense.  But those guys have zero range themselves, and playing a Henson next to Monroe means your spacing will be unworkable.  Andrew Bogut and Draymond Green wouldn't even have to attempt to guard Henson and Monroe if they moved beyond ten feet from the basket.

The only type of player he really works with is a rangy, athletic rim protector that can shoot.  So few teams have that though, and none of them would have the cap space or desire to sign Monroe to anything close to a max deal.

Also, it looks like Milwaukee is going to move on from Henson.  They've been shopping him and his contract is an expiring.  I don't think he's part of their future plans.

If the choice is between Gortat at 12 million for the next four seasons, or Monroe at 17 million for the next three, I choose Gortat.  Gortat isn't the low post scorer that Monroe is.  But he doesn't really take anything off the table like Monroe does, and he is a high quality fourth or fifth offensive option.  We don't need a first or second option low post scorer, and I'm not sure we have the touches to get Monroe to a 24% usage rate like he needs.  Also, Gortat is much better at running the floor and a much better pick and roll scorer than Monroe too.  Better fit for the kind of team we are.

Ultimately, I do think Monroe fits Milwaukee's offense because I think they need a high usage scorer to go along with Parker.  It ain't gonna be Giannis, MCW, or Middleton.  And I think Parker will eventually be a good long range shooter if he comes back strong from his knee injury.  And I disagree with Peter that Monroe isn't a good passer.  From what I've watched, he looked like a decent passer.

The biggest source of their problems on offense is going to be that Giannis and MCW can't shoot for ****.  And I'm not sure you can have a PG and SF that are total non-shooters any more.  Certainly not if you want to play them together.  And certainly not if you're trying to run 25% of your offense through the low post now...

But that's yet another reason to not make the move.  Now they're in a situation that, because of the money they committed to Monroe, they might have to abandon plans to feature MCW and Giannis.  MCW doesn't seem like such a big loss, but Giannis is the second biggest talent on that team.  He and Parker were supposed to be the foundation of the rebuild.  I agree with Peter that the plan should have been to find players to build a running offense around Parker and Giannis.  IMO they should have focused on getting a good PG instead, and then find an athletic, defensive-oriented C that can run the floor and hide Parker's weakness on that end.

That is amazing.  He tore it in March!  There is no way he'll be ready to play any time soon.  I'm with TryTheBeal, I think that is a major gamble.  And I don't think it's going to work out.

Yeah. He will be very limited for the first year of the deal and a 32 year old in the last year of the deal. I wouldn't really want any part of that. Maybe the Achilles isn't as bad as we all think?

Yeah. He will be very limited for the first year of the deal and a 32 year old in the last year of the deal. I wouldn't really want any part of that. Maybe the Achilles isn't as bad as we all think?

It must not be.  Must be a minor tear or something.  Otherwise, I can't see anyway he would have commanded so much interest from all these teams.

Peter, I wanted to go back to a post you made about Nerlens's potential to improve as a shooter.  When I've watched him, he's demonstrated so little native shooting touch that I really have a hard time seeing him become a respectable shooter.  I'm pretty pessimistic about the ability to of non shooters to become respectable shooters.  I see a little better than zero chance of him ever having a game-ready three pointer.

But I hope I'm wrong.  Because if he could develop a reliable 18 footer and a reliable FT shot, then he would become super valuable.  Basically be like Serge Ibaka.  Not as big or strong or capable of guarding the post, but much quicker and more able to guard perimeter players.  And it would make him the perfect PF to play next to Okafor.

Peter, I wanted to go back to a post you made about Nerlens's potential to improve as a shooter.  When I've watched him, he's demonstrated so little native shooting touch that I really have a hard time seeing him become a respectable shooter.  I'm pretty pessimistic about the ability to of non shooters to become respectable shooters.  I see a little better than zero chance of him ever having a game-ready three pointer.

But I hope I'm wrong.  Because if he could develop a reliable 18 footer and a reliable FT shot, then he would become super valuable.  Basically be like Serge Ibaka.  Not as big or strong or capable of guarding the post, but much quicker and more able to guard perimeter players.  And it would make him the perfect PF to play next to Okafor.

Generally, I agree.  I made the point when the MCW trade was made that generally people that can shoot show it early in their career.  I looked and most everybody that was shooting at 35% from 3 did so in one of the first 2 years they got regular minutes.

Now, it does happen.  As (I believe) Destino pointed out, Kidd became a good shooter.  Even when he was playing in those championships with NJ Kidd was a bad shooter, but somewhere along the line, he put in the work and became a good wing shooter.

And when I looked at the people that really did seem to become better 3 pt. shooters, most of them were guys that left college early.  Young guys where you can see they maybe hadn't worked on it in college, but when they got to the NBA they really started working on it, and it took some time, but they got better.

What I've been told by somebody that would know is that Noel was awful offensively when they drafted him.  He couldn't shoot, and he had zero left.  He couldn't dribble or finish with his left (though he would block shots with his left).  They completely re-did the shoot and worked on basic offense, but everything was 12 ft. and in.  Essentially even if he was wide open at 14 ft. in a game, he was told not to shoot.

But they were happy with his development at 12 ft. and in, and this summer, they wanted him to move things out to 18 ft.  They gave him a set of goals, and he's already hit them.

I'm absolutely not going to sit here and tell you it will happen, but given his defensive skill if he can become a good stretch 4/5, he can become a real building block.  I'm just saying I wouldn't rule it out.

(With respect to MCW, he shot below 24% from 3 pt. this year and despite being drafted the same year as Noel, he's  over 2 years older.)

Edited by PeterMP

Jordan leaving the Clippers for the Mavs screwed them. They have Glen Davis as their only C now, and zero assets to trade for one unless Dallas agrees to do a sign and trade for Jordan and thgy get a big TPE back as a result.

Shouldn't have used their MLE on Pierce.

Jordan's departure caught them with their pants down. They had zero back up plan for it. I think they are going to have to consider trading Reddick or Crawford to bring in a credible center.

Seriously though, how do they have no money and so few tradable assets? How can a six player roster be so ezpensive? WTF happened to all of their draft picks the past several year? How could they have zero plan for losing Jordan?

Pierce chose wrong.

Man, I am really enjoying how stupid the Clippers are. I went searching to see why/how they could end up in such a ****ty situation, and it's worse and more entertaining than I thought. Read these:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/3/8890583/the-clippers-are-screwed

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/24/8839493/la-clippers-draft-picks-dont-exist

This is the bottom line about their draft pick situation:

For the price of four first-round picks and five second-round picks, the Clippers have received ... the right for Rivers to coach the team, two years of Doc's son and C.J. Wilcox. That's why they've had such a tough time building out the roster around CP3, Blake and DeAndre.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Doc is a horrible GM. And Good Lord has the league done the Clippers two ginormous favors by first vetoing the CP3 trade to the Lakers, and then vetoing a HORRIBLE KG for Jordan trade as part of the deal to get Doc Rivers. If that trade happens, then they don't even make it out of the first round in the West.

What's up with these California teams? Warriors aside, they are competing with each other to see who can be the worst run team in sports.

Who the **** trades for a coach?  Who the **** then gives him GM powers and then allows him to trade for his draft bust son??  They're completely inept!  They were gifted the #1 pick in the right year and gifted CP3.  Not to mention they won a second #1 pick that went to the Cavs for Kyrie Irving!  I love it.  I'd say just contract that franchise if they weren't a gold mine of unintentional comedy.  Couldn't have happened to a more unlikable bunch of jack asses.  I just feel sorry for Pierce for getting himself into that mess.

Yep, despite how awful Jim Buss Jr is, and the fiasco that resulted from the Howard trade and the ludicrous Kobe extension, the Lakers are currently, by far, the second best run team in California.

Dad's name was Jerry (Gerald). He is not a Jr..  

If you guys recall, I had no interest in Howard.

The Kobe deal was silly for Kobe, and the franchise...that certainly was not a move from Jerry.

Edited by Kosher Ham

Dad's name was Jerry (Gerald). He is not a Jr..  

If you guys recall, I had no interest in Howard.

The Kobe deal was silly for Kobe, and the franchise...that certainly was not a move from Jerry.

You're right. Boy did the apple fall far from the tree with him. He's basically responsible for the worst stretch in franchise history. Seems like a real ass too. I read an article that said he'd step down in three or four years if the team was still losing. That's a long time to wait, but it feels like it's what needs to happen. I don't know that the rest of the league takes him seriously.

I think this means Duncan plays 2 or 3 more years and collects another ring or two.

BTW, so much for the league going to small. The Cavs have a big front line rotation. The Spurs have a big front line rotation. Memphis is the same, and even the Thunder will be big upfront this year.

The league needs to extricate itself from old thinking that the basketball world cares about the Knicks and Lakers. Those media markets are big but not in comparison to a national audience. People want to watch the best teams in competitive games, not the Knicks or Lakers embarrass themselves.