Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taiwanese Animators Coverage of Skins' Nickname Controversy

jwpanic

We fans have to keep supporting the name. If a few give in just because of the media circus then that means lees to defend the name, so then the name change folk gain more traction with less opposition, so more give up, and so on until there isn't enough fan support left for Dan Snyder to feel like keeping the name is completely justified and backed by the fans, so he changes it.

Giving in to the name change based solely on "because the opposition is loud and pestering" is cowardice and shows no loyalty to a team nor consideration for how most Native Americans actually feel about the football team name. Being offended FOR someone else who is not, is truly offensive.

Even more than as Redskins fans, but as human beings you shouldn't be so wishy-washy as to allow a name change to happen on behalf of people who aren't actually offended by it. 

Look at the Fighting Sioux case. The local tribes even sued to keep the school name, but the majority white population voted in record numbers due to PC race guilt and voted for the name change. So even though Native Americans were not offended, white people there decided FOR them that it was offensive and forced a change that Native Americans, the people they thought they were helping, didn't want. They were in the news too, but PC white people there decided to ignore the voices of the people they claimed to want to help because they decided PC media was more important than the opinions of the actual people. 

And some of you all want the exact same thing to happen to the Redskins just because of loudmouths and their ignorance on the issue? If we had a team that gave up that easily we'd never post a winning season. The players sacrifice their bodies, we fans can certainly sacrifice a little time and effort.

Video is stupid. That said, I'm tired of trying to defend the name. To be honest, it is impossible to defend. The Native American theme is fine, but the term "Redskins" is not, and we need to stop trying to convince ourselves it is.

Change the name to the Washington Warriors. You can keep the logo or change it back to this...AP02082906582.jpg

boom done.

[comments deleted due to alcohol impairment, sorry]

My loyalty to this franchise is unquestioned.  I'll always be a Redskin...and I'll always wear my Redskins gear and never replace my Sean Taylor jersey w/ any other player. 

I argue the facts...I know ALL the facts...and I know all the hypcorisy...such as the source of all this (Suzan Harjo)...having a television show on New York's WBAI FM hypocritically titled "Seeing Red"...........................(bet most of you didn't know that)...

I know of Deitz...the study by Ives Goddard...the State of Oklahoma...Polls...quotes from active / retired Chiefs...Walter Wetzel (who designed our current logo) - I KNOW ALL THIS.  All of it eviscerates the idiots claiming racism...

All of this being said - I'll support a name change if...and only if...it goes with the US Military theme.  Nothing would please me more than to name the team to honor the US Military - pissing off the very same pansies claiming "Redskins" is racist.

We fans have to keep supporting the name. If a few give in just because of the media circus then that means lees to defend the name, so then the name change folk gain more traction with less opposition, so more give up, and so on until there isn't enough fan support left for Dan Snyder to feel like keeping the name is completely justified and backed by the fans, so he changes it.

Giving in to the name change based solely on "because the opposition is loud and pestering" is cowardice and shows no loyalty to a team nor consideration for how most Native Americans actually feel about the football team name. Being offended FOR someone else who is not, is truly offensive.

Even more than as Redskins fans, but as human beings you shouldn't be so wishy-washy as to allow a name change to happen on behalf of people who aren't actually offended by it. 

Look at the Fighting Sioux case. The local tribes even sued to keep the school name, but the majority white population voted in record numbers due to PC race guilt and voted for the name change. So even though Native Americans were not offended, white people there decided FOR them that it was offensive and forced a change that Native Americans, the people they thought they were helping, didn't want. They were in the news too, but PC white people there decided to ignore the voices of the people they claimed to want to help because they decided PC media was more important than the opinions of the actual people. 

And some of you all want the exact same thing to happen to the Redskins just because of loudmouths and their ignorance on the issue? If we had a team that gave up that easily we'd never post a winning season. The players sacrifice their bodies, we fans can certainly sacrifice a little time and effort.

In truth we can fight the change with every fiber of our beings but at the end of the day there is nothing we can do so let's drop the epic struggle nonsense. If Snyder decides to change the name are you going to quit being a fan? Maybe we can organize a boycott of the team? Then what? Watch him move the team to LA? Maybe we'll get lucky and the NFL will gift us a team ala Cleveland. I'm sure the NFL wouldn't cave at all on naming the new team Redskins would they?

See your own post for the answer to that. I repeat, this issue is never going away. It will only get worse as the success of them team improves for the reasons you listed in your post. It is an easy subject to write about because talking heads can scream racism on the issue and next to no one in the media is willing to sit on national television and list all the reasons we know it's not an issue of race. Even if there were someone willing to do that no one would care because like so many things these days people have made their decisions and introspection is a four letter word.

I hate to say it, but I think everyone knows where Snyder will land on the issue if it starts costing him money, or if the NFL starts making things uncomfortable enough. Not to mention the potential sales involved in a name and logo change. If there are enough numbers to the left of the decimal point we'll all have some tough choices to make.

Guys...

You guys...these videos are made all the time on current events, and they're always ridiculous and zany, and, well, humorous.  

Now, I honestly can't say if that's the INTENT, because I live in America, and to me, these videos are just funny, so that's just what I take it for.  I wouldn't dissect this any more than I would a skit from Chappele's Show.

But, well...anyhow, since the topic is up AGAIN, I'll say what I always have -speaking of intent-, the name is obviously not meant to be hateful.  The person who interprets it as such then turns it into a hateful word.  I get it, this particular word has a history, but was ANYONE in the last few decades really complaining about it?  Younger fans, did it even CROSS YOUR MIND until some pretty white lady with nice hair referred to it as a 'controversy' on the news?

Being 'offended' altogether is a myth anyway, in my opinion.  What's offended?  Does it hurt?  Does it require medication?  Do you have to feed it 3 times a day, I mean come on.  The only time I'm ever 'offended' is when someone is very rude to me -directly to my face btw-or something, and the proper term for that anyway is 'disrespected'.  So is the name 'disrespectful'?  Maybe if Dan Snyder is walking up to Native Americans calling them Redskins in an ugly tone and spitting on them.  But offended is nothing more than another feeling, and last time I checked, emotions are not very strong ammo.  At least they shouldn't be.

But meanwhile, in reality, it's just a name.  JUST A NAME.  Did the rapper Ghostface Killa 'offend' me?  NO.  If he killed my family while screaming hateful racists stuff, yea I would be furious, but at no point would I be "offended".

This pretentious 'offended' nonsense needs to stop.  People are FAR too sensitive.

(ps, I know my wu tang history lol, I'm just saying dude's name sounded like a guy who hates white people)

Some of you guys are giving off a Sean Hannity/Rush Limbaugh vibe. There are reasons to defend the Native American theme. There's the pride, the honor, the reverence/respect to the culture and civilization that existed in America before any of us got here. But most of you guys don't even mention that. Instead, you are resistant to a name-change because to you it represents people being "pompous overly sensitive liberal pansies who are destroying this country" and you want to fight THAT battle. That's the wrong reason to defend the Redskins theme yet I've heard that more than I've heard people saying why they actually LIKE the name/theme.

Here's the bottom line: The owner of the team can name it whatever he wants by law (lawsuits should be ineffective). If the owner thinks the name is fine, he can keep it. If he wants to change it (for whatever reason), he can change it. That's the freedom he has in this free-market  country. As non-shareholders, you and I have a voice insofar as we can offer our opinion and suggestions. That's it. We have no real decision making power within someone else's organization and that's how it should be. If you don't like the name or the name-change should it come (and I think it will eventually come not from Dan Snyder but a future owner), too bad, so sad you pansy.

Respectfully yours, a fellow Redskins fan

I take it the ability to merge threads has gone by the wayside as well lol...cuz this one needs to be absorbed into the older one dealing with the name change.

As for the video, it's stupid, not funny. Half the "facts" presented aren't factual. The argument presented in the video is "The Redskins had a racist owner so the name must be racist, too."

As for the "let's just change the name" stance a few fans take...my question is always, "Why?"

Because the name is racist? No, it's not.

Because Native Americans find it offensive? Take another poll in 4 years and try not to act surprised if the trend shifts back in the other direction, jus as it did over the last 8-10 years.

Because the term "Redskin" has its origins in scalping Native Americans for money? Holy crap, give that myth a rest, already.

Because names like "Warriors" would be less offensive? No, it wouldn't. The actual goal is to erase NA imagery from sports, not just the name "redskin". Those behind leading the charge about the name change have even gone on record as saying as much. One of the women out doing interviews on behalf of the name change was asked if a name like "Warriors" would be ok and she said no...that any Native American imagery/names used for sports franchises would and should be considered offensive. Don't be so naive as to think renaming the Redskins to some other NA-themed name will be fine and dandy with this crowd, and that it's just the "racist" term that bothers them. That's utter bull****, and we should be smart enough to understand that.

Here's a quote for anyone who doubts the above:

The National Congress of American Indians, the largest national organization of Native American tribes, has denounced the use of any “American Indian sports nicknames and imagery” and has stated that such use “perpetuates stereotypes of American Indians that are very harmful.”

This ain't about 'redskin' being an offensive slur, trust me.

There is a specific reason the Redskins are the target, and it has zero to do with the term "redskin" being a historically racist term in America, mainly because it's not. It's ironic that a sports team representing the political capital of the world has fans that can't see or understand the political motivations behind all this.

Sometimes you need to ignore stupid to help it go away.

And sometimes people need to pay attention to the rules, look for and use existing threads when available, in order to not get a week off for relevant violations---as in the case with the OP (who gets a warning only because of a pretty clean record over a long time). 

http://es.redskins.com/topic/365985-the-official-es-redskins-name-change-thread-all-things-related-to-changing-the-teams-name-go-here/

And Arasmus, while 2cents gets a week off for the "you're stupid" and "you're a coward" bit (rule 5--personalized insults), you get a time out too for excess in bringing politics into the stadium with some of your comments. 

P.S. Califan007---merging of threads has been occurring for over a week as those paying attention might have noticed. ;)  :P

But sometimes even those of us making ourselves regularly available as mods week in and week out all year long get a wee bit busy for quick attention to all pending matters, trivial to major  :wacko: ---or on rare occasion, we may simply be weary of picking up the dirty clothes off the floor for the thousandth time and decide just let them sit.  <_<

Rest assured. There are those of us still in the fight.  :blink:  :D

HolyMartyr-StillatWar_zpsb0d2706b.jpg

Archived