Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taiwanese Animators Coverage of Skins' Nickname Controversy

jwpanic

Video is stupid. That said, I'm tired of trying to defend the name. To be honest, it is impossible to defend. The Native American theme is fine, but the term "Redskins" is not, and we need to stop trying to convince ourselves it is.

Change the name to the Washington Warriors. You can keep the logo or change it back to this...AP02082906582.jpg

boom done.

Ironic how much ignorance they used to try and combat something they think is ignorant. I wonder why the poll of Native Americans wasn't mentioned?

Video is stupid. That said, I'm tired of trying to defend the name. To be honest, it is impossible to defend. The Native American theme is fine, but the term "Redskins" is not, and we need to stop trying to convince ourselves it is.

Why don't you go tell that to the 90% of Native Americans who don't have an issue with the football team name? You think it's right to tell them what they should be offended over? Is something still offensive when the vast majority of people who are supposed to be offended are not?

It's very possible to defend actually, but it requires actually considering the perspective of Native Americans on this issue, rather than the perspective of the very vocal minority of overly-PC folk who see red and skin and assume racism because they refuse to look at it in its actual context, a football team, or acknowledge the actual perspectives of Native Americans, the people they claim are offended who by and large are not.

THAT is what is truly offensive, a bunch of people claiming offense for another group that mostly is not offended.

Change the name to the Washington Warriors. You can keep the logo or change it back to this...AP02082906582.jpg

boom done.

The video and you are both stupid. Boom...done.

I take polls with a large grain of salt. Either way, here's what I think: the Native Americans surveyed in those polls are prideful of a team that in some form makes their heritage part of the public eye. It sucks that in almost every other way, Native Americans have been marginalized, pushed into reservations, and have been virtually eliminated from society in their own land within a couple of hundred years.

So it's not that they "don't mind" the Native American theme for a national sports team. They actually support it and cheer for it . As do I. This is why I think we should militantly defend the Native American theme. BUT we should NOT be opposed to a change in the name, just the name, the "Redskins" for meaningless reasons like we are "used to it" or turn this into a fight against "political correctness."

I take polls with a large grain of salt. Either way, here's what I think: the Native Americans surveyed in those polls are prideful of a team that in some form makes their heritage part of the public eye. It sucks that in almost every other way, Native Americans have been marginalized, pushed into reservations, and have been virtually eliminated from society in their own land within a couple of hundred years.

So it's not that they "don't mind" the Native American theme for a national sports team. They actually support it and cheer for it . As do I. This is why I think we should militantly defend the Native American theme. BUT we should NOT be opposed to a change in the name, just the name, the "Redskins" for meaningless reasons like we are "used to it" or turn this into a fight against "political correctness."

That is total double talk. Native Americans like the name because it represents them....but we should be ok to change it for politically correct reasons??? That is total crap dude...pick a side.

You guys do realize this issue is never going away don't you?  Regardless of how we feel the media is liking this issue because it allows columnists to sit atop Mount Racism and cast lightning bolts of indignation down upon the masses.  That and you can gin up some easy column inches gibbering away about it endlessly.  But right now it's just background static, an annoying noise filtered through the larger events of the NBA Finals/Stanley Cup that only us as fans can hear because we are attuned to it.  Once those are gone and the Tebow frenzy begins to die down in Foxboro when the insane acknowledge that no, Brady's job is not up for grabs the filter will be removed.  

Then the issue will get more and more press.  And boy howdy we best all strap in if the Redskins make it to the Super Bowl.  Can you just picture the monkey **** fight the media will put on if they have two whole weeks to wank on the name?  Much as I and I'm sure others don't like it the organization has two choices.

1.  Ignore the mediots and go about business as usual.  Upside, nothing has to change, downside, this will only fuel the fires of those who have nothing better to write about.

2.  Change the name now.  Upside, you can avoid a large chunk of media circus if you just go ahead and do it.  Downside, we lose the name and have to suffer through the three or four months of idiots patting themselves on the back over and over.

Frankly I choose number two.  I also think Niko has it right, go with the Warriors and the Spear emblem helmet.  When the press asks why change now simply state that it was time and move on.

You guys do realize this issue is never going away don't you?  Regardless of how we feel the media is liking this issue because it allows columnists to sit atop Mount Racism and cast lightning bolts of indignation down upon the masses.  That and you can gin up some easy column inches gibbering away about it endlessly.  But right now it's just background static, an annoying noise filtered through the larger events of the NBA Finals/Stanley Cup that only us as fans can hear because we are attuned to it.  Once those are gone and the Tebow frenzy begins to die down in Foxboro when the insane acknowledge that no, Brady's job is not up for grabs the filter will be removed.  

Then the issue will get more and more press.  And boy howdy we best all strap in if the Redskins make it to the Super Bowl.  Can you just picture the monkey **** fight the media will put on if they have two whole weeks to wank on the name?  Much as I and I'm sure others don't like it the organization has two choices.

1.  Ignore the mediots and go about business as usual.  Upside, nothing has to change, downside, this will only fuel the fires of those who have nothing better to write about.

2.  Change the name now.  Upside, you can avoid a large chunk of media circus if you just go ahead and do it.  Downside, we lose the name and have to suffer through the three or four months of idiots patting themselves on the back over and over.

Frankly I choose number two.  I also think Niko has it right, go with the Warriors and the Spear emblem helmet.  When the press asks why change now simply state that it was time and move on.

People today are cowards. You are one of them. When you are right, you don't give in no matter what other people say. Part of the reason this country is going to hell is because people give in under pressure and let other people dictate their values and beliefs to them.

That is total double talk. Native Americans like the name because it represents them....but we should be ok to change it for politically correct reasons??? That is total crap dude...pick a side.

I said the THEME represents them well, not the NAME. They're two different things. 

I said the THEME represents them well, not the NAME. They're two different things. 

Its still crap. I can tell you one thing the Native Americans I know hate the most is us telling them what they do and don't like/need. I had a 100% Apachie tell me he loved the team because of the name AND the logo. So his view doesn't count I guess. 

Its still crap. I can tell you one thing the Native Americans I know hate the most is us telling them what they do and don't like/need. I had a 100% Apachie tell me he loved the team because of the name AND the logo. So his view doesn't count I guess. 

To some of those who oppose the name, the guy you spoke with is "out of touch" or, as a "50%" Native American / Black writer put it recently "the NA version of an uncle Tom".  Either way, you can't win.

If you're 100% American Indian and for the name, you're an out of touch uncle Tom.  If you're not 100% NA, then you can't have an opinion.  It's all so stupid.

People today are cowards. You are one of them. When you are right, you don't give in no matter what other people say. Part of the reason this country is going to hell is because people give in under pressure and let other people dictate their values and beliefs to them.

Hey Hanninty, tone it down a notch or three.  We're having a discussion here, no need for you Fox News it up and go all Murica is a dyin on us.

Edit: I figured out how to trim this quotesplosion. Clicking the little n in the upper left corner of the reply pane will show the formatting and allow you trim down the quote pyramid.

To some of those who oppose the name, the guy you spoke with is "out of touch" or, as a "50%" Native American / Black writer put it recently "the NA version of an uncle Tom".  Either way, you can't win.

If you're 100% American Indian and for the name, you're an out of touch uncle Tom.  If you're not 100% NA, then you can't have an opinion.  It's all so stupid.

You win as long as you keep the name, and you know you are doing the right thing. Which I feel we are. Where people fail is thinking I should care what people call me or think of me when they call me racist for standing up for the name. Then I quiz them on everything about it and they know nothing about it, other than being told it is racist by other people who know nothing about it. To the poeple too lazy and stupid to research the issue, it doesn't matter to me what they say, because their opinion means zero to me.

Hey Hanninty, tone it down a notch or three.  We're having a discussion here, no need for you Fox News it up and go all Murica is a dyin on us.

I'm having the discussion too. I don't think I'm being over the top. I'm tired of being told we have to give in because people call us mean things.

I'm having the discussion too. I don't think I'm being over the top. I'm tired of being told we have to give in because people call us mean things.

You called me a coward.  You don't know me at all yet you felt comfortable doing that.  I'd like to hear you explain how that's conducive to having a discussion.  The worst part is I actually agree with you.  But that doesn't matter it seems because I take the awkward position of suggesting another path rather than sit and sling mud.

Edit: More trimming.

You win as long as you keep the name, and you know you are doing the right thing. Which I feel we are. Where people fail is thinking I should care what people call me or think of me when they call me racist for standing up for the name. Then I quiz them on everything about it and they know nothing about it, other than being told it is racist by other people who know nothing about it. To the poeple too lazy and stupid to research the issue, it doesn't matter to me what they say, because their opinion means zero to me.

>> 

You called me a coward.  You don't know me at all yet you felt comfortable doing that.  I'd like to hear you explain how that's conducive to having a discussion.  The worst part is I actually agree with you.  But that doesn't matter it seems because I take the awkward position of suggesting another path rather than sit and sling mud.  

If you agree with me then stand up for what you believe in and educate people on the history of the term and the name. We are right and don't need another path.

If you agree with me then stand up for what you believe in and educate people on the history of the term and the name. We are right and don't need another path.

I don't think so.  If fighting to keep the name means being associated with someone of your caliber I'd rather the team be called the Washington Flibbertigibbets.  Have fun with your absolutist utopia were nothing else matters as long you believe really really hard that you're right.  Of course I'm sure you'll reply that you don't believe you're right, you know you are.  So I'll just go ahead and label you omniscient and spare us the exchange.

Edit: Still trimming.

>>> 

Hey Hanninty, tone it down a notch or three.  We're having a discussion here, no need for you Fox News it up and go all Murica is a dyin

on us.

I don't think so.  If fighting to keep the name means being associated with someone of your caliber I'd rather the team be called the Washington Flibbertigibbets.  Have fun with your absolutist utopia were nothing else matters as long you believe really really hard that you're right.  Of course I'm sure you'll reply that you don't believe you're right, you know you are.  So I'll just go ahead and label you omniscient and spare us the exchange.

Wow. You just got on me for insulting you, but its ok if you do it to me. Got you. Hey, its really simple to me. The facts prove me right, not me saying it. I'm not going to waste my time and present them all again. You don't seem to care about them anyway. I'm blocking you and suggest you do the same to me so reading any more of my posts don't upset or offend you.

Moot points.  The name ain't changing as long as Dan Snyder is breathing air.  All other American Indian themed mascots need to be on their knees thanking Snyder for being the first line of defense, because if 'Redskins' ever goes down, it's only a matter of time before the rest of them do.

Archived