Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sell me on a city to relocate to

DCsportsfan53

I have an irrational hatred for Colorado. I've had a couple exes move there, I think of nothing but drum circles and stinky dip ****s who blame government for everything, god loving, gun toting hill billies who think the GOP spouts gospel and the pit bull ban in the city of Denver that has led to thousands of dog deaths by the police. I don't know why, it seems like a place I'd love, but Colorado, to me, is an *******.

I don't have that kind of hatred or anything, but I have been to Denver and I really never saw the attraction. Like I said in some other thread, it seems almost exactly the same as Sacramento to me. Which is fine, but no big deal either. :whoknows:

(not trying to start a flame war - everyone likes different things and different places, and I certainly don't know as much about a place as those people who actually live there...)

I don't have that kind of hatred or anything, but I have been to Denver and I really never saw the attraction. Like I said in some other thread, it seems almost exactly the same as Sacramento to me. Which is fine, but no big deal either. :whoknows

Coming from great cities like New York and Philadelphia, places like Denver always remind me of Wilmington DE. I'm sure there is great things to do there, I just don't care to find out.

You can't go wrong just about anywhere in TX. I moved to Dallas for my job but I travel to all the other major cities. I'm not a big fan of Houston but Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas are great. Austin is definitely my favorite. It's pretty and there's always something going on. A little more expensive than the other cities but still not terrible. There's no state income tax, school systems are good and housing is surprisingly affordable.

The other thing about Texas is the people are really genuinely nice and openly friendly people. I lived in the Charlotte for a while and it's a nice area but I found the "southern hospitality" to be a bit fake. Maybe not the transplant community but the natives were very cliquey and insincere. Just my observation.

No biggie Predicto, if ya didn't like it, ya didn't like it. :)

Question though, how long since you've been to Denver? Because from what I've read on the City Data forums, Denver has come a long way in the last 10-15 years.

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 11:00 AM ----------

I'm more of the whiskey, cocaine and spending late nights having educated conversations with respected ladies, who enjoy making bad decisions with a good man. :D

Smoking weed just makes me sleepy.

Bro...we can chug whiskey then. i'll light up the tree, you powder your nose. as far as women are concerned, i prefer mine ugly, with low self-esteem. Its just so much easier. :thumbsup:

No biggie Predicto, if ya didn't like it, ya didn't like it. :)

Question though, how long since you've been to Denver? Because from what I've read on the City Data forums, Denver has come a long way in the last 10-15 years.

That's true. Last time was at least 20 years ago. Spent a couple of days there before going up to Vail and Copper Mountain. I asked people about things to do, landmarks, history, museums, neighborhoods and they all said the same thing: "You can visit the Brown Hotel." The downtown was essentially nonexistent, lots of strip malls and everyone was in a car. I didn't hate it, or anything. It was just a typical new, generic western city, you know.... it was Sacramento (but the weather in Denver is more extreme).

A lot of people seem to love Denver, so I am sure there is more to it (or it has changed, or both). Plus lots of people care about different things than I do. Like I said, I don't want to start a flame war. I made that mistake in the past when I ripped on Tampa/St. Pete and brought on the ire of a great Tailgater who lives there and loves it, and clearly knows it better than I do.

:ols: So you're more of a .10 instead of a 10 type of guy huh.

you know it bro. quantity over quality.

My standards are simple: two tits and a heartbeat

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 12:06 PM ----------

When you get serious about researching cities' date=' check out this website--it's a wealth of information: [url']http://www.city-data.com[/url]

yep. city data was great. The site itself will breakdown everything: cost of living, crime, schools, taxes, etc.

And then the city data forums have a sub section for every major city in every state. When we moved to Denver, I made a thread with about 10 questions, asking for input from the locals. Within two days I had 4+ pages of responses. It was great. City-data is the ****.

Glad to hear you're contemplating a move DC. Is a move abroad also an option for you? Or can you export your job to other countries? I've lived in more than a few states thru the years & I want my next move to be to another country.

I think about this. France, Belieze and CR are probably my top three. Maybe St Marteen too.

And seeing as how I drive from east to west every morning for my work commute, I literally drive to work everyday and watch the sun rise over the Rocky Mountains. Not bad livin' :)

This doesn't make sense. The sun rises in the east, so you'd have to be going from west to east (not east to west as you stated) to see the sun rise. Also, the mountains are on the west side of Denver so if you were in the city the sun would set over the mountains in the evening, not rise over them in the morning.

It was very, very, very, very cold - but still awesome. .

No thanks brother ... cold weather sucks.

I say, at your age and especially without kids ... South Florida (between Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale, Dade Co. is nasty)!

Obviously the beach is great ... incredible eye candy ( I know you are married), job market sucks, but it sounds like you can get a job there.

Go live there 4-5 years, party, have fun, go to Key West, Carribean, Centeral America is 2 hours away, come back to NOVA and get your advanced degrees, better jobs, house, settle down! that's what we did!

Archived