Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unsung Hero - Sav Rocca

Chadwiko

Another unsung hero today is one of the guys Redskins love to kick. Reed Doughty. With an extremely thin safety group, he played well. That play where he submarined the fullback and got the runner at the same time for a three yard loss was exceptional!

I've said it once, and I'll say it before; based on just pure value and nothing else, Reed Doughty might be one of the best draft picks Vinny ever made. And he played big last nigh. I'd take a guy like Reed over a jerk like LaRon any day.

I was kind of pissed whan Sav got the 15 yard penalty for the facemask tackle. After reading some other replies about it, I realized that he probably saved the game. Giving dallas great field position sucked, but, we made them work for the score. Had he not stopped the return, it very well could have swung the momentum to dallas side. It would have also given them more time at the end of the game. Big props to Sav!!!

Rocca didn't really save a touchdown yesterday. They still scored a couple plays later. He delayed a TD.

He delayed a TD, which took time off the clock. And by his tackle, probably kept the momentum on our side of the ball. Had dallas scored, on the return, it would have been a huge momentum builder for dallas.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you kick like that with a torn Mmmmwhateveritis???? I guess we figured the fine was comming..

» Washington Redskins punter Sav Rocca was fined $7,875 for tackling Dallas Cowboys punt returner Dwayne Harris by the facemask during a return in the Redskins' 28-18 win over the Cowboys.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000122163/article/fines-roundup-two-49ers-fined-10k-for-flinging-ball-into-stands

According to Mike Jones of the Washington Post, punter Sav Rocca will have surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. Rocca continued to kick through the injury to his kicking leg since injury his leg in late October. Rocca is planning to have the surgery and do the rehab back home in Australia

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/sav-rocca-to-have-surgery-pierre-garcon-hoping-to-avoid-it/

The only things I don't like about Rocca is he rarely gets any kicks downed within the 5 yard line and occasionally shanks a ball or 2. Other than that, I like him.

I would say not many kickers pin it within the 5 yard line, that is asking quite a bit. He was top level last year and I thought he performed well this year. Lets give him offseason to heal. HTTR!

I saw that Aussies Abroad clip on espn and Sav was saying that he wanted the surgery back in October but knowing there was no guarantee in the punting business, he decided to play through it. He is a tough old man. That trying saving tackle on Dwayne Harris saved our playoff chances. The skins should pay for that fine or the whole special teams.

According to Mike Jones of the Washington Post, punter Sav Rocca will have surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. Rocca continued to kick through the injury to his kicking leg since injury his leg in late October. Rocca is planning to have the surgery and do the rehab back home in Australia

Hopefully he recovers fully and improves over this year. I was happy with the tackle on Harris as well, but I won't ignore the fact that Rocca wasn't very good this year overall. He was bottom 3rd in the entire league (25th) in average yards per punt, and even worse (29th) in net average. We could not depend on him to change field position. I checked the numbers, he wasn't much better in 2011 either. I hope his surgery fixes this.

I hope Sav recovers from his surgery and the Redskins bring him back. Rocca finally has brought some stability to our punting team. He is not the best but has done well, especially with directional punting. And he punted almost the entire season on a torn meniscus. Tough guy; not to mention some saving tackles. I'd love to have a young stud punter but we have had such horrible luck over the past ten years or so. Sav is proven and reliable. Hope he comes back.

Archived