Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins wanted to draft Russell Wilson to back-up RG3

SkinsGuru

Sure, we wouldn't quite have known exactly what Russell Wilson offers at the pro level in this alternate universe, given that he wouldn't have played much, but it stands to reason that he would have been a more suitable back-up in our scheme...

And even the Washington Redskins would have grabbed Wilson with the 102nd overall pick in the fourth round to back up Griffin, but when he was gone, they picked Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10spot-12week14/what-seattle-picked-russell-wilson-adam-schefter-10-spot

I think if he had been there we'd have nabbed him, and that would have been sick having him as backup. It's quite possible he wins the Atlanta game. People want to talk about Kirk Cousins' value, can you imagine the hype surrounding him in the trade game if Wilson came out and threw a couple TDs and won us the game against the Falcons.

That being said, I'm glad the Seahawks took him over the Eagles, the longer they toil in QB no man's land, the better. I'd have preferred some random non-Indy AFC team had grabbed him though, somewhere he could succeed, but not where he could challenge us for wild card spots within the next couple years. Still, good for him, and he's the 2nd best QB from the 2012 class.

Before we traded for the #2 pick, I was completely fine with the idea of drafting him in the 2nd round.

The height thing, IMO, is such an antiquated standard in which to measure QBs. If a guy can play QB, he can play QB. He's roughly the same height as Drew Brees (who, of course we know, is hindered by his height :ols: )

If he were even 6'0 or 6'1, he would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder simply based on his other abilities. Seattle got a steal, and I'm happy for him.

In other words, we were more or less planning on drafting a QB in the fourth round without even know exactly which one?

That is not what was said. It says we wanted Wilson.

The only other thing that can be inferred from the story is that we saw the need for a good backup and felt good about Cousins as well.

Sounds like solid reasoning to me. I like Grossman the person. I love his attitude and grit. But I (and clearly the coaches agree) don't want him as our number two QB and that means we had a real need. On the other hand, if they felt like there wasn't a good QB available, I'm sure they would have picked another position.

Sorry to nitpick but I like what this says about our team. Cousins wasn't just an impulse buy. Wilson may have been the first choice, but Cousins was still part of the plan.

I think if he had been there we'd have nabbed him, and that would have been sick having him as backup. It's quite possible he wins the Atlanta game. People want to talk about Kirk Cousins' value, can you imagine the hype surrounding him in the trade game if Wilson came out and threw a couple TDs and won us the game against the Falcons.

That being said, I'm glad the Seahawks took him over the Eagles, the longer they toil in QB no man's land, the better. I'd have preferred some random non-Indy AFC team had grabbed him though, somewhere he could succeed, but not where he could challenge us for wild card spots within the next couple years. Still, good for him, and he's the 2nd best QB from the 2012 class.

Oh please, you are blatantly biased if you actually believe that.

Everyone that keeps touting luck as an amazing rookie has to use blinders to ignore so many negative aspects of his performance this year.....will he be a great QB one day ....yes ....was he drafted by a perrinial playoff team that had lost there starting QB the previous season ....yes.....is he leading the league in turnovers .....yes ....is he in the bottom 3 in the nfl for completion % yes..... Russel Wilson has played better than luck this year without question?...why does Andrew luck get the tebow treatment just because he won the game we ignore how he played.......

I still think we got a heck of a player in Cousins, but grabbing Wilson would've been almost unfair. I honestly like him as a QB more than Luck. Not to say that Luck is a bad QB, because i think he will be great. But i think Wilson has a great combination of abilities, similar (but not as good) as Robert.

• 2 weeks later...

So did three or four other teams that picked between Seattle and us. It would have been nuts if Wilson fell that far. Somebody else would have taken him for sure.

Knowing what we know now, Wilson should have been the second or third quarterback off the board.

I think we obviously got great value in the guy we did get anyway. Cousins is also playing at a level well above his draft stock.

It just goes as further evidence (as if there weren't enough already) of how wrong scouts and pundits can be sometimes.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 06:26 AM ----------

I'm still super happy with KC1 and besides, this fan base can't handle a back up with talent like that.

I love this KC1 moniker. One of the announcers called him that today. He also called him Captain Kirk at one point. :)

Archived