Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nfl.com: Megatron played with a concussion

Hitman21ST

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000079317/article/calvin-johnson-of-detroit-lions-candid-on-concussions?module=HP11_headline_stack

"He rung my bell pretty good, he got me, he caught me around the chin, that was a good hit," Johnson told WXYT-FM in Detroit. "It's a part of football, you get concussed, you gotta keep on playing. You can't get afraid to go across the middle any more than you were at the beginning."

Johnson said he underwent a concussion test on the sideline after that grisly hit: "They come and do the little test with the finger ... ask you what day, what game it is, stuff like that."

Johnson must have passed that test, but he also appears to admit to playing through a concussion.

UPDATE: Johnson later admitted to reporters Thursday that he believed he had suffered a concussion.

"Yeah, you could tell. It was obvious," he said, according to MLive.com's Anwar Richardson.

This certainly has the beginnings of something interesting. Wonder if the NFL will do anything to the best receiver in the game (or the Lions) for failing to report it.

:munchout:

We didn't follow an unwritten rule and put nobody in danger and we got hit up for 36 Million. The Lions didn't follow a written rule and put arguably the most marketed wride reciever in the league in danger. I bet they get a slap on the wrist. :doh:

The Lions don't play in the NFC East.

We didn't follow an unwritten rule and put nobody in danger and we got hit up for 36 Million. The Lions didn't follow a written rule and put arguably the most marketed wride reciever in the league in danger. I bet they get a slap on the wrist. :doh:
Oh boy, God- ell will bring the fist down on this one..... Time to make an example out of the Lions.....

It will be interesting to see how Goodell handles this, given that Megatron is one of the game's megastars.

If he didn't tell anyone on the sideline that he believed he had suffered a concussion and managed to pass the tests I can't see why the league would do much of anything here. Now if the league finds that he didn't pass the test or that the Lions weren't looking too closely because they wanted him back out on the field...

Then again this is Roger "because I can" Goodell so he might suspend some Lions players and coaches for lying about this incident on a hunch.

Agree with Destino. I find it hypocritical that players are suing the league for concussion syndrome, yet every DAMN one of them have lied their way back into a game, knowing the had a concussion. Every damn one of them. Megatron probably didn't show physical signs of a concussion, so I agree with Destino, that if he didn't tell and the doctors couldn't find anything that showed he was at risk, I don't think they do anything to the Lions.

Agree with Destino. I find it hypocritical that players are suing the league for concussion syndrome, yet every DAMN one of them have lied their way back into a game, knowing the had a concussion. Every damn one of them. Megatron probably didn't show physical signs of a concussion, so I agree with Destino, that if he didn't tell and the doctors couldn't find anything that showed he was at risk, I don't think they do anything to the Lions.

the job of the doctors is to tell the players, "no, you are concussed. have a seat."

thats the problem.

of course a player is going to want to play, they always do no matter what, but doctors are supposed to judge their health and tell them whether they are ok to play or not.

the job of the doctors is to tell the players, "no, you are concussed. have a seat."

thats the problem.

of course a player is going to want to play, they always do no matter what, but doctors are supposed to judge their health and tell them whether they are ok to play or not.

But at this point, we don't have all the details on the doctor's diagnosis, only that he was cleared and went back into the game.

Agree with Destino. I find it hypocritical that players are suing the league for concussion syndrome, yet every DAMN one of them have lied their way back into a game, knowing the had a concussion. Every damn one of them.

And you know that how? Many of the players suing now played years ago, before the long-term effects of multiple concussions were known or understood by anyone. It's almost like smoking - it was once thought to actually be good for you, so if you started way back then, you weren't necessarily aware you were damaging your long-term health. We know better now, and if you do either action - return to playing too soon after a concussion or start smoking - you're doing something foolish which could negatively affect your long-term health.

And you know that how? Many of the players suing now played years ago, before the long-term effects of multiple concussions were known or understood by anyone. It's almost like smoking - it was once thought to actually be good for you, so if you started way back then, you weren't necessarily aware you were damaging your long-term health. We know better now, and if you do either action - return to playing too soon after a concussion or start smoking - you're doing something foolish which could negatively affect your long-term health.

Of course I can't "vouch" that every player shouted, "I'm OK, let me back in coach." But you can surmise from former players, coaches and trainers that most of the time the player was given smelling salts and sent back in. Back in the days of Sammy Baugh, if you didn't play, you didn't get paid and football was a part time job to supplement their real job. I mean come on, let's not put 100% of the blame on the teams, players want to play. You could probably take a sample size from one season and ask the players if they ever told the coach or trainer, "I can't go back in, my head hurts," on one hand. The players are just as culpable as the teams are.

But at this point, we don't have all the details on the doctor's diagnosis, only that he was cleared and went back into the game.

well now you are talking all over the place, my point was about the former NFL players lawsuit and you calling them hypocrites. Using Calvin Johnson as an example of why the former players are hypocrites is a reach.

I agree, we dont know everything that happened with Calvin Johnson's situation, but there is still a clear breakdown if a concussed player can go out and continue playing,

Of course I can't "vouch" that every player shouted, "I'm OK, let me back in coach." But you can surmise from former players, coaches and trainers that most of the time the player was given smelling salts and sent back in. Back in the days of Sammy Baugh, if you didn't play, you didn't get paid and football was a part time job to supplement their real job. I mean come on, let's not put 100% of the blame on the teams, players want to play. You could probably take a sample size from one season and ask the players if they ever told the coach or trainer, "I can't go back in, my head hurts," on one hand. The players are just as culpable as the teams are.

A concussed player, if he's truly concussed, likely has impaired judgment, and isn't, in my opinion, nearly as culpable as the team.

Of course, then you have the Redskins, whose star QB had a concussion, didn't go back in the game (despite wanting to), and we get in trouble for "not reporting it correctly" :mad:

Of course, then you have the Redskins, whose star QB had a concussion, didn't go back in the game (despite wanting to), and we get in trouble for "not reporting it correctly" :mad:

So much this. We'll probably get penalized, but forget the rest of the NFL.

Didn't Shanahan also say though that RGIII said he felt fine, but Shanahan used his eyes to see that he looked shaken up and demanded he go see the doctors?

Almost posted this back in the thread but knew someone would. Robert said he was ok but Shanahan said looking at his eyes it was obvious Robert was just being his warrior self and knew he wasn't alright and sent him for more testing. Or that's how Shanahan told it I thought. Megatron in the article said it was clear he got his bell rung but went back in.

Archived