Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Defensive players talk about the challenges of facing RGIII

themurf

8044155858_c8a24a120e.jpg

(photos by Brian Murphy)

Even though the Washington Redskins’ defense made things much tougher than they needed to by blowing a 21-3 lead against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, there is a bit of a silver lining to their latest collapse.

Thanks to the failings of the team’s underwhelming secondary, ‘Skins fans were treated to the first come-from-behind victory by rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III, who led the Redskins on a seven-play, 61-yard drive in just 102 seconds to set up the game-winning field goal.

For better or worse, their inability to close out a vulnerable opponent paved the way to what very well might be the first of many “Did you just see that?” moments involving the new face of the franchise and enabled the youngster to do something in a burgundy and gold jersey that hadn’t been done in quite some time.

Consider this: the last time the Redskins scored to come from behind and win a game in the last 10 seconds of a game was on Oct. 3, 1999. It’s also worth noting that the fourth-quarter comeback was the Redskins’ first by a rookie quarterback since Jason Campbell against the Carolina Panthers back on Nov. 26, 2006.

So while it would have been much more enjoyable to watch Washington cruise to an easy victory over a rebuilding franchise, it was nice to see Griffin rise to the occasion when the game was on the line.

“First off, I thought he played his best game of the year,” said head coach Mike Shanahan. “I thought he handled himself extremely well. [He] made some plays that you always want a quarterback to make. A lot of times, they can’t make those plays this early in their career. I’m talking about the two-minute drive, some play action passes, quarterback keeps that I thought were exceptional.”

As if that wasn’t good enough, then word comes out that Griffin’s headset wasn’t working during the team’s final drive of the game. Just when you think the kid can’t get any more impressive, he’s forced to call his own plays during the most pivotal portion of just his fourth-career start.

“We kind of end practice on Fridays with Robert taking the team down in a two-minute drill,” Shanahan said. “We’ve done it in camp. But to actually [have it] happen in a game and keep your poise, especially as young as he is, is really a credit to Robert. We can signal in most of the plays. There was the second time, or the second play, Robert called a play on his own. Then, we came back and we signaled in a play. That’s when he scrambled out. That play was covered and he made a big play on the sideline.”

Guys like Aaron Rodgers and Mike Vick have the uncanny ability to extend plays to by receivers extra time to get open or to keep defenses on their heels because they’re capable of moving the chains through the air or on the ground.

This, of course, is what stands out most while watching Griffin in action through his first month of NFL games. Not only is he completing 69.4 percent of his passes, but he’s also willing and able to tuck the ball and run when the situation calls for it.

That’s why it’s entirely possible that Griffin could throw for 4,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in his rookie campaign. If his target gets open — like Santana Moss and Fred Davis were able to do on the first two plays of the two-minute drill against Tampa — he has no problem hitting them in stride. If no one is open, RGIII simply tucks the ball and runs with his world-class sprinter speed.

“There were guys open seemingly all over the field,” linebacker Ryan Kerrigan said of Washington’s game-winning drive. “It was awesome to see. It was such a thrill to see. Any time a quarterback can run, it’s a nightmare for a defense. I can only imagine what the Buccaneers were thinking when they have to drop back and cover all of our really good receivers and then No. 10 takes off running again. He presents a great challenge for defenses.”

Think about it from the opposing defense’s point of view. You’re top priority is making sure Washington can’t beat you with a deep ball and you’re also trying to protect the sidelines to keep whoever has the ball from being able to get out of bounds and stop the clock. The Redskins snap the ball, you’ve got everyone covered and then Griffin uses his amazing speed and athleticism to gash the heart of your defense for a huge 15-yard gain.

“It’s one of the most difficult things to defend against,” said middle linebacker Perry Riley. “The quarterback is the extra man. He’s not accounted for. You have safeties over the top in zones or when you’re playing Cover-2, but you can’t really do that when you play against a running quarterback. You have to have a spy or you risk giving up long runs. It definitely takes a man out of coverage when you play against a running quarterback.”

It’s got to be absolutely demoralizing to do everything you can and still not be able to prevent a rookie quarterback from moving the chains at will.

“He’s athletic, he can move and he’s very accurate, so there’s a lot of stuff you have to account for,” said defensive end Stephen Bowen. “It’s such an advantage for us because there are so many things you have to worry about with Griffin. I’m just glad he’s on our side.”

That’s the same sentiment his offensive teammates say they feel when they take the field with Griffin with the game on the line.

“We have a lot of faith in him, man,” said tight end Fred Davis. “He’s a guy with character. He’s out there getting hit with these tough hits and he’s still out there running around and making plays.

“We know we’re going to have a chance,” Davis continued. “If no one is open, then Robert is going to run. We know we’re going to have a chance, because when we do see the coverage we need, we know we’re gonna make plays.”

That final game-winning drive showed a side of football that is rarely associated with Redskins football — a pick your poison mentality. If you leave a receiver open, Griffin will pick you apart. If you cover everyone and leave him just a sliver of open space, he’ll take off and pick up the first down with his feet.

Out of everything that’s transpired over the first month of the season, that’s what is most encouraging about the long-term prospects of this franchise. As long as Griffin is healthy, this team appears like it’s going to have a chance to win each and every Sunday.

I love this thread! It's been a long time since I had any confidence in a Redskins QB to drive us down the field under 2 minutes to win the game. RG3 has done this each week, too bad for the personal foul calls that could have turned defeat into victory. This young QB has definitely done his part. Excellent thread Murf!

Yet folk STILL want him to stop running because of the hits he takes. :doh:

I can seriously see this O being the most dynamic in the entire league in the next couple of years. And as college QB's evolve, I can see more and more pro-teams that draft them incorporating a large chunk of option O's into their game plan.

The positions evolving again. And Roberts at the forefront of the next generation of multi-functional QB's.

Hail.

Yet folk STILL want him to stop running because of the hits he takes. :doh:

I can seriously see this O being the most dynamic in the entire league in the next couple of years. And as college QB's evolve, I can see more and more pro-teams that draft them incorporating a large chunk of option O's into their game plan.

The positions evolving again. And Roberts at the forefront of the next generation of multi-functional QB's.

Hail.

I dont think all his runs need to stop but I do wish they would cut back on the called runs. When he has to scramble to make something happen, he is dangerous. There isnt much you can do about a hit he may take in that scenerio. I do agree about the O becoming dynamic. We have struggled to put points up over the last few years. It is sooo nice to seemingly not have that problem anymore.

I dont think all his runs need to stop but I do wish they would cut back on the called runs. When he has to scramble to make something happen, he is dangerous. There isnt much you can do about a hit he may take in that scenerio. I do agree about the O becoming dynamic. We have struggled to put points up over the last few years. It is sooo nice to seemingly not have that problem anymore.

How do you feel about the called QB draws up the middle in the RZ? That's something that will open up receivers in time, and when defenses play the pass its almost indefensible.

Wrong GHH. We want him to stop running too much. Obviously we want him to use his legs also, but we want him to pick his spots. I cringed every time we ran the option against the Bengals. he got hit and hit hard way too many times due to the option and the biggest hit he took is when he DIDN'T have the ball because of the optionl. I thought last week was a nice balance and IIRC the option wasn't used that much.

Again, only a fool wouldn't want III to use his legs as a weapon. His arm is just as big a weapon.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2012 at 12:00 PM ----------

How do you feel about the called QB draws up the middle in the RZ? That's something that will open up receivers in time, and when defenses play the pass its almost indefensible.

Yep. Plays we are running now are setting up future successful plays.

Personally, I thought they had a very good game plan in Tampa, from the prespective of keeping the offense from stepping back too much but at the same time giving Griffin a lot more protection from hits.

He finished that game relatively unscathed and still had 60 yards rushing.

We put 150 rushing yards up on the #1 run defense in the league.

Personally, I thought they had a very good game plan in Tampa, from the prespective of keeping the offense from stepping back too much but at the same time giving Griffin a lot more protection from hits.

He finished that game relatively unscathed and still had 60 yards rushing.

We put 150 rushing yards up on the #1 run defense in the league.

If nothing else, it was nice to see him get through a game without taking the level of punishment he dealt with in the Rams and Bengals games. Sure, he got hit a time or two, but nothing nearly as bad as the previous two games. And, of course, the refs did a nice job of protecting him from unnecessary hits as well.

1:57 seconds left in the first half. Why the **** are the Shanahans afraid for him in the 2 minute drill before the half? We play WAY too conservative in the first half of games when we have a chance to get a late score. He moved the team against the Rams, the Bengals and now the Bucs in the last 2 minutes of the game. Why not the first half?

1:57 seconds left in the first half. Why the **** are the Shanahans afraid for him in the 2 minute drill before the half? We play WAY too conservative in the first half of games when we have a chance to get a late score. He moved the team against the Rams, the Bengals and now the Bucs in the last 2 minutes of the game. Why not the first half?

That is a very valid point -- the playcalling does seem to get much more conservative once the team has a little bit of a lead. Happened in the Rams game when they got up big early and again in Tampa. You don't want to drop back and pass 50 times a game when you're up by two or more scores, but you should still try to keep defenses honest rather than just letting them know you're trying to milk the clock in the second or third quarter by handing off every single down.

That is a very valid point -- the playcalling does seem to get much more conservative once the team has a little bit of a lead. Happened in the Rams game when they got up big early and again in Tampa. You don't want to drop back and pass 50 times a game when you're up by two or more scores, but you should still try to keep defenses honest rather than just letting them know you're trying to milk the clock in the second or third quarter by handing off every single down.

Exactly. One more late FG or TD and both games are out of reach at halftime. Put the foot on the throat and don't let up until the windpipe is crushed. I'm getting sick of nail biting games.

Pretty sure Billy Cundiff woulda/shoulda/coulda helped out in that department.

The 'Skins *should* have had 30 points! I'm willing to give Cundiff a pass on the 50+ yarder, but the 30 & 40 yard misses were inexcusable! I'm glad he got it together on the last kick, though.

The play I was most impressed with all game was a botched screen pass during the 2 minute drill. The playcall was clearly a screen pass, but the defense read it and had the RB blacketed. Griffin immediately pulled the ball down and scrambled up the opposite sideline for an easy 15 yards. It's plays like that that separate him from most of the other QBs in the league - most other QBs throw the ball away on that play.

There are some of those designed run plays that you HAVE to use with him. We would be dumb to not use that aspect of his game. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands. I just dont want them to over expose him and have him injured all of the time like Vick.

I think it's also worth noting that Campbell wasn't a rookie in 2006. He may not have played at all in his first year, but he was still a second year QB at the time. Which means you'd have to go back and dig even deeper to find a rookie Redskin QB that accomplished the feat.

No knock on Murf, because the article is good, but I would have liked to have gotten the perspective of other teams defenders and not ours. They face him in practice every week, so they know him. I would have liked to seen some quotes from Saints, Rams, Bengals and Bucs players.

I don't think there would be much to show. The filters would block most of their statements out LOL.

Great article Murf!!!!

Hail

Remember the beginnings of a super star.

Robert Griffin III is on the road to superstardom for the Redskins

In only four NFL games, Robert Griffin III has already answered all of our questions. The rookie quarterback has proven he’s advanced for his years at deciphering defenses. He has demonstrated a star’s ability to make big plays with his arm and feet. And there’s no doubt about Griffin’s toughness: He always gets up, albeit sometimes slowly, after being pounded to the ground.

But Griffin’s most important attribute was revealed Sunday during the final, thrilling 1 minute, 42 seconds at Tampa Bay’s Raymond James Stadium. In marching the Redskins 56 yards in six plays (he completed four of four pass attempts and scrambled for a 15-yard gain), Griffin put place kicker Billy Cundiff in position for a game-winning field goal that capped a 24-22 comeback victory over the Buccaneers.

With his masterful late-game performance, Griffin showed he possesses the innate skill to thrive under pressure. That’s what separates the game’s elite quarterbacks from the merely talented. It’s the difference between Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers.

In a league in which quarterbacks are the most important players, the Redskins now have proof that their quarterback is much more than a stat-sheet stuffer. Griffin is a winner. Eventually, he’ll drag the Redskins back to the top.

That’s what the true superstars do. Tom Brady. LeBron James. Derek Jeter. Michael Jordan. When outcomes are undecided and pressure rises, they remain cool. When others commit blunders, the best of the best come through.

For those rare athletes, everything comes into clearer focus during what NBA Hall of Famer Magic Johnson calls “winnin’ time.”

As he entered the huddle in the final two minutes Sunday, Griffin was unfazed by the circumstances (the Redskins trailed by a point and had the ball at their 20-yard line). Griffin’s headset malfunctioned, so he couldn’t communicate electronically with play-caller Kyle Shanahan. But “none of it bothered him,” wide receiver Santana Moss said. “Man, you’re talking about guys who have that gift. … Robert has that gift.”

Granted, directing a game-winning drive against the Buccaneers in September isn’t the same as delivering a virtuoso performance while battling flu-like symptoms in the NBA Finals, which Jordan once did, or leading teams to Super Bowl titles and World Series championships like Brady and Jeter. The same inner strength is required, however.

“What happens with great players, when the moment arrives, when the stage is big and the lights come on, they just perform,” Redskins inside linebacker London Fletcher said. “On that drive, that was really Robert’s moment to go out and perform.”

Rightfully, Griffin is changing the perception of the Redskins one “this-guy-is-incredible” moment at a time. All those national media predictions about the Redskins still being far, far away from playoff contention? Ignore them. Brush off anyone who dismisses what Griffin accomplished Sunday because the Buccaneers aren’t among the NFL’s better teams. Eyes don’t lie. Griffin is doing everything to inspire confidence that times are indeed changing.

“People are going to look back years from now and realize that what he was doing, what Robert is starting, was laying the foundation for something good for a long time,” said Fletcher, a 15-year veteran, who counsels Griffin. “It’s great that Robert has the incredible skills he has. That’s gonna help him put up great numbers.

“But anyone who has been around this game will tell you that the numbers are only a part of it. What matters, what you talk about when you look back on your career, is, ‘Did I have a chance to win?’ When you have a quarterback like Robert, you have a chance. You have it because he covers up for a whole lot.”

In fact, after watching Griffin lift the entire mediocre Redskins roster, it’s no longer a question of whether the Redskins can become winners again. It’s a matter of when.

The Redskins still have the same problems we’ve known about since the preseason. Their secondary struggles. Their offensive line won’t remind anyone of the famed “Hogs” during the team’s glory days under Joe Gibbs. Without injured Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Orakpo, the pass rush has suffered.

Also, the Redskins won’t have a first-round draft pick for the next two years. That’s just part of the cost of getting Griffin – and the Redskins got a steal. No price is too much to get the right quarterback. You think the New York Giants are lamenting that they once gave up a whole bunch for the chance to draft Manning, including sending the draft rights to Rivers to San Diego? Two Super Bowl trophies prove Giants management chose wisely.

Griffin still needs time to develop into the NFL superstar he’s on the road to becoming. The Redskins must improve Griffin’s supporting cast. But for the first time in a long time, it’s finally all coming together for the Redskins. Because of Griffin, we know it now.

Robert Griffin III is on the road to superstardom for the Redskins - The Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/robert-griffin-iii-is-on-the-road-to-superstardom-for-the-redskins/2012/10/03/bb1df0ae-0d9b-11e2-a310-2363842b7057_story.html

Archived