Armytimes.com : Veterans Job Corps Act dies in Senate

killerbee99

http://www.etscareers.com/

Ahhh Here is what i went Through: ACAP:

http://www.operationwearehere.com/ETS.html

Military Separation Guide

The Military Separation Guide for Active Duty Personnel:

An Overview of What You Should Know Before You Leave Military Service

It’s never too early to begin preparations for your separation from active military service. The Department of Defense (DoD) recommends that you start your planning at least 12 months prior to separation, and 24 months prior to retirement, from active duty. The DoD’s Transition Assistance Program (TAP) is is a vital resource to ensure that your separation/retirement choices are truly in your, and your family’s, best interests. Transition counselors and online tools provide special transition benefits information, employment workshops, automated employment job-hunting tools and job banks, veteran benefits information, disabled veterans benefits information, and many other types of transition and other related information.

A Word About Getting Help Before You Separate from the Military

Because of the complexity of the transition and VA benefits matters, having an experienced veterans service representative is always an advantage. Going it alone unnecessarily risks an unsuccessful outcome at virtually every stage of the proceedings. Professional representation enhances the chances of receiving a favorable results at the outset, thereby eliminating the need for time-consuming appeals. VetsFirst, a program of United Spinal Association, offers the assistance of highly trained and experienced veterans service representatives absolutely free.

Please refer to the VetsFirst website www.vetsfirst.org for assistance with your transition and VA benefits needs, or call us at (301) 495-4460. Even if you have a representative, it is important that you be personally involved in your transition from military to civilian status, as well as your VA claims. If you have a service representative, be sure to communicate everything that is relevant to the issue at hand, even if it is detrimental to your case. Last minute surprises can be costly.

The Transition Assistance Program

The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) for the active component service consists of the following:

Mandatory pre-separation counseling.

Department of Labor (DOL) TAP employment workshops.

Veterans benefits briefings conducted by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Disabled Transition Assistance Program (DTAP), which is also facilitated by the VA and is designed to focus on the special needs of disabled service members.

The transition process begins with the completion of the DD Form 2648 (“Pre-separation Counseling Checklist”). The checklist allows you to indicate the benefits and services that you wish to receive additional counseling for. All separating and retiring service members should make an appointment to see their local transition counselor for information on transition services and benefits. Transition counselors are located in the following military installation offices:

Bang....it is being done.....just not this specific govt program

how about we discuss the merits of it specifically instead of emotional appeals?

The merits....seriously, the GOP didn't want to discuss the merits when the killed it, they wanted to discuss cost. Now you want to talk about merits of a universal Federal program for Federally employed veterans, and your solution is to point to one state's program as if that same thing would be able to be duplicated in all other 50 states....good grief man.

Seems like you would have to actively NOT spend 5 minutes on Google looking up Veteran job programs.

And NOT following the instructions of your councilor when leaving the Army to not get a job.

Yeah, that must be it. I'm sure that the homeless Iraq War vets were just too lazy to spend 5 minutes on a google search......... :doh:

Yeah, that must be it. I'm sure that the homeless Iraq War vets were just too lazy to spend 5 minutes on a google search......... :doh:

here are the rest of the forces since its not just the Army that has built in programs: I'll save people the 5 minutes since your upset.

Army: Army Career and Alumni Program (ACAP). See www.acap.army.mil/.

Air Force: Airman and Family Readiness Center. See www.militaryinstallations.dod.mil.

Navy: Fleet and Family Support Center. Navy personnel should make an appointment with their command career counselor for a pre-separation counseling interview at least 180 days prior to separation. See https://www.nffsp.org/.

Marine Corps: Career Resource Management Center (CRMC)/Transition & Employment Assistance Program Center.

See www.usmc-mccs.org/tamp/index.cfm.

Coast Guard: Worklife Division––Coast Guard Worklife staff can be found at the nearest Integrated Support Command.

here are the rest of the forces since its not just the Army that has built in programs: I'll save people the 5 minutes since your upset.

Again, yep, the only thing that is standing between these vets and a job is a google search or an interview with a departure counselor.

If you believe that then I've got some property you might be interested in.

---------- Post added September-20th-2012 at 10:36 AM ----------

You think most of them are homeless because of the lack of this program?

No, I think they are homeless because as a nation we suck at taking care of the soldiers when they come home from war.

Again, yep, the only thing that is standing between these vets and a job is a google search or an interview with a departure counselor.

If you believe that then I've got some property you might be interested in.

In case you didn't know there were already laws for this:

From the ACAP online Page:

ACAP is designed to accomplish several key objectives. ACAP ensures all Soldiers who leave the Army with more than 180 days of active duty comply with legal and regulatory requirements to receive preseparation counseling on available transition assistance services and benefits as early as possible. This congressionally mandated counseling must occur no later than 90 days prior to separation and be documented on DD Form 2648. ACAP also ensures these Soldiers are offered an opportunity to receive employment assistance. The opportunity to receive employment assistance also is mandated by Public Law. In addition to complying with Public Law, ACAP fosters and promotes Army retention, both on Active Duty and in the National Guard or Army Reserve, and recruiting. ACAP’s caring dedication to Soldiers and their families engenders a positive feeling toward the Army and improves the Army’s ability to retain and recruit young men and women.

I went through it myself, its not a falsehood that you should be outraged about ASF...

In case you didn't know there were already laws for this:

From the ACAP only Page:

ACAP is designed to accomplish several key objectives. ACAP ensures all Soldiers who leave the Army with more than 180 days of active duty comply with legal and regulatory requirements to receive preseparation counseling on available transition assistance services and benefits as early as possible. This congressionally mandated counseling must occur no later than 90 days prior to separation and be documented on DD Form 2648. ACAP also ensures these Soldiers are offered an opportunity to receive employment assistance. The opportunity to receive employment assistance also is mandated by Public Law. In addition to complying with Public Law, ACAP fosters and promotes Army retention, both on Active Duty and in the National Guard or Army Reserve, and recruiting. ACAP’s caring dedication to Soldiers and their families engenders a positive feeling toward the Army and improves the Army’s ability to retain and recruit young men and women.

I went through it myself, its not a falsehood that you should be outraged about ASF...

I think that it's obvious that the current system isn't working.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/09/military-veterans-job-corps-act-senate-091912w/?fb_comment_id=fbc_444503088935699_4872629_444531058932902#fc9edd06081fba

As a current soldier, this makes my blood boil, just found out about this bill being killed by 4 Republicans who had parts in writing the bill, decide to note vote for it because it would add $1 billion to the Dept of VA Budget.

Quick note: We spend about $1 billion every week in Afghanistan. I really am beginning to hate Republicans overall as a party.

Thank the idiotic tea party and their moronic libertarian roots.

(and thank you for your service:-)

I think that it's obvious that the current system isn't working.

ACAP requires the soldier to actually do some work to help himself. The problem I have seen with ACAP is that soldiers decide to go do other things like sleep and party rather than go to ACAP or some just don't know about it because their NCO's didn't provide enough guidance. ACAP is a good program that helps soldiers. VA also has a program to help soldiers as well I have a friend who recently got out that is going through that.

ASF it seems like you think things should be handed to soldiers on a silver platter.

ACAP requires the soldier to actually do some work to help himself. The problem I have seen with ACAP is that soldiers decide to go do other things like sleep and party rather than go to ACAP or some just don't know about it because their NCO's didn't provide enough guidance. ACAP is a good program that helps soldiers. VA also has a program to help soldiers as well I have a friend who recently got out that is going through that.

ASF it seems like you think things should be handed to soldiers on a silver platter.

It would seem like that to you.

I'm pretty supportive of paying people that work.....you might even say obligated

I'm also supportive of job training and hiring vets.......funny how some care mainly at election time.

Love the way you're attempting to defend the people who opposed this, by claiming that the people who supported it don't meet your moral high standards.

Dishonest as Dallas. But entertaining.

---------- Post added September-20th-2012 at 11:19 AM ----------

how about we discuss the merits of it specifically instead of emotional appeals?

And speaking of dishonest but amusing. . . .

Yeah, because we all know how those nasty libertarians all support spending $1billion every week in Afghanistan.

You tell em Mike

Rooaarr!!

Nice attempt at misdirection. If you want to pretend there is no reason to be there, that's on you. While there are reasonable arguments for withdrawing, doing it just to save money with no consideration of repercussions is beyond stupid. But that's for another thread. Maybe you can address the points I raised in this thread instead.

I am a veteren as well I served eight years in the Army I got out five years ago and ACAP served me well. I think that Vets already have a huge advantage in getting jobs as of right now. The reason why that I say that is because if oyu look at the Federal government they already give you 5 to 10 points depending if your diabled or not that. The other reason that I feel that Vets have a huge advantage when applying for a job is that more employers are going to hire you over someone that is not a Vet. I think the main focus should be helping those who are still going problems as the result of the Wars such as PTSD in which I believe we have been doing. I can recall last year a buddy that I deployed with who lived in Oregon was sent to the University of Maryland-Baltimore in order to recieve treatment for PTSD.

Archived