Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII and the Vick Effect

laxpck

Ugh that defense gameplan was a mind boggling.

My only rationale ;) is Fisher negotiated that Haslett would have to play WYSIWYG defense as part of the deal to acquire Griffin.

D Hall on 106.7 is nicely saying that Haslett was outcoached -- he said the Rams had answers for everything, in the first half and 2nd half. He said that studying the tape of the game, the Skins defense looked soft so he expects the Bengals to come in to this game and try to play similar intimidation games and play extra physical

I'd disagree here. The game is changing alot. Vick started the modern trend of the supreme athlete sort of masquerading as a decent QB. It's taken awhile and there were a lot of imitators and failures before we finally see the perfect evolution of that which is Griffin imo. He is the first truely great pocket passer with all world athletic ability too. His skillset has never been seen in the NFL before.

Griffin, Vick and Cam all being in the league at the same time is not a coincidence. It was only a matter of time before the spread option offense found it's way into the NFL. With Griffin's success you will see more and probably even more of this type of QB than we saw after Vick burst onto the scene. NFL coaches would be foolish not to adopt any type of offense that takes advantage of their skills. I don't think it is a gimmick or a fad like the wildcat.

That said, we do need to keep it under control and not kill him but it is a great asset and weapon to use.

Sure the game is changing. The NFL is constantly evolving. But, Mike Vick didn't change anything in Atlanta and he can't stay healthy in Philadephia. Cam had a good rookie season, but one year isn't going to convince NFL execs that it's wise to add a strategy that endangers the QB.

Let's not forget that, over the years, the NFL added rules to protect the QB from injuries. Some of those rules in the pocket are ridiculously strict. When the QB leaves the pocket, he leaves that protection. I think it's foolish to do so with planned runs.

There ar three or four times a game when the defense disregards the QB as a running threat in order to cover his potential pass targets. Big gains are possible when the defense plays man coverage and turns their backs on the QB. If the QB has the skill to make them pay for that, he's doing plenty.

I think we need to apologize to everybody who said he's nothing like Vick. He looks Just Like Vick. I'd call him a this decade Vick, or a Vick plus accuracy. I mean, I wanted to use him like GB uses Aaron Rogers, but I guess Shanny feels that'd be limiting his athleticism, which I can understand. There were times yesterday that I just didn't trust our WRs and the fact that RG3 could run for it definitely helped us.

I just don't get the comparisons. He is Steve Young, and that is all I see when I see him out there. Same height & weight too. I hate the comparisons to Vick or Newton it drives me absolutely bat ****. He is a pocket QB that runs when he needs to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlqkiXyRBec&feature=related

I hate the comparisons to Vick or Newton it drives me absolutely bat ****. He is a pocket QB that runs when he needs to.
From a physical skillset perspective how is Griffin not like those QBs?

And both Mike Vick and Cam Newton are currently pocket passers that runs when they needs to or by design just like Griffin.

Why do you 'hate' the comparisons so much?

Why do you say that Griffin takes care of his body better? Where is that from?

RG3 plays for the Redskins, so of course he takes care of his body better. :ols:

---------- Post added September-18th-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

Many fans are so enthralled with Griffin (rightfully so) that they (needlessly) downgrade Vick or Cam to boost their perception of Griffin.

That and some people simply don't like/respect Vick.

---------- Post added September-18th-2012 at 01:02 PM ----------

Or did you mean opinion of Vick?

Good QB who imo is currently playing hero ball.

One of the most naturally gifted throwers of the football in the NFL.

I speculate that Vick wants to win so badly for Andy Ried that right now he's trying to make/force every play.

I also think the Eagles have barely average pass protection and an incomplete WRs corps w/ very little depth.

and height

on top of that, Reid and their OC have fallen in love with the deep ball

Grant Paulsen

Robert Griffin III is on pace for 160 carries this season. Mike Vick never had more than 123 attempts. Cam Newton's rookie total was 126.

ugh, we need to keep RG3 healthy thats for sure

We are also on pace to be +40 in turnover margin...2 games is not a good sample size. Let's let the season play out for a while.

Why do you say that Griffin takes care of his body better? Where is that from?

Griffin is a noted workout freak. Spends tons of time in the weight room and training, first one in/last to leave etc. Vick has never had that reputation. Look at Vicks body compared to RG3. Vick also has done drugs before which imo is a complete disregard to health. At least at this point, there is no reason to think that RG3 has.

I'm not saying Vick doesn't take care of himself because I remember he was a beast lifting weights at VT. But for the most part Vick for his entire career until recently just relied on his natural ability and was still pretty lazy when it came to perfecting himself/body. Griffin has used his natural ability as the starting base to make himself even greater.

I think the runs will taper off as the year goes on. The Shanahans are just establishing the run early so defenses will have to respect it later on.

HTTR

This is what I am hoping - that and they are starting with concepts and plays he is familiar with and comfortable with. As the season goes on the play book will open up and we will see more drop back passing and less read option I think.

Griffin is a noted workout freak. Spends tons of time in the weight room and training, first one in/last to leave etc. Vick has never had that reputation. Look at Vicks body compared to RG3. Vick also has done drugs before which imo is a complete disregard to health. At least at this point, there is no reason to think that RG3 has.

Well, in that case I hope he's not like Landry.

On another note, I'll say that I have little to no confidence in our training staff, so hopefully what you say is true because unlike the Nationals, I think we have little knowledge on how to manage players and injuries.

It maybe just me but I don't think he takes that much punishment, rg3 almost slides everytime he runs it's a wired slide were he uses the hit and does some kind of slide especially going out of bounds.

It's not just you. I thought all his runs were very smart and if it weren't for the cheap shots he took, he wouldn't have hardly been hit at all. Get the real refs in here and the **** you saw Sunday will stop. Our fans are not used to seeing our QB be as athletic as he is. They sound like a bunch of whiny-babies. I just don't understand some of you in here that keep saying, "I want to see him run less," don't want to use his running as a weapon. It's another thing the defense has to worry about. I think if he keeps it between 5-10 runs, I'm fine with that. Slide, get out of bounds and be smart. And he's bigger and smarter than Vick, so that counts for something.

---------- Post added September-19th-2012 at 10:38 AM ----------

Vick has an incredible arm ;his ability to read defenses may be questionable.

Vick has a strong arm, not an accurate one. That's the difference. Combine that with his inability to read defenses and you have a marginal QB.

---------- Post added September-19th-2012 at 11:21 AM ----------

I can't shake the feeling while the current offense is effective its just the tip of the iceberg.
I could not agree more. I think what we are seeing right now is Shanny giving RGIII what he is comfortable/familiar with to put him in the best position to succeed early and get adjusted to the NFL. As RGIII becomes more comfortable and gains confidence from the success he is having the play book will open up.

Its going to be fun watching our offense develop.

Now if we could only play defense and special teams .....

I agree with both of you. I think it's just the tip of the iceberg and next year will be even more fun to watch if we continue to bring in playmakers and line on the offensive side of the ball.

---------- Post added September-19th-2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

I'd disagree here. The game is changing alot. Vick started the modern trend of the supreme athlete sort of masquerading as a decent QB. It's taken awhile and there were a lot of imitators and failures before we finally see the perfect evolution of that which is Griffin imo. He is the first truely great pocket passer with all world athletic ability too. His skillset has never been seen in the NFL before.

Griffin, Vick and Cam all being in the league at the same time is not a coincidence. It was only a matter of time before the spread option offense found it's way into the NFL. With Griffin's success you will see more and probably even more of this type of QB than we saw after Vick burst onto the scene. NFL coaches would be foolish not to adopt any type of offense that takes advantage of their skills. I don't think it is a gimmick or a fad like the wildcat.

That said, we do need to keep it under control and not kill him but it is a great asset and weapon to use.

New England, San Francisco and others have been running a form of the spread offense for a few years now. In fact, RBs rushing stats are going down year after year and alot of teams are working from the spread formation to combat the speed and athleticism of defenders, not to mention alot of teams have switched to the 3-4, which requires athletic outside linebackers. So I agree.

Archived