Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We lost due to weaknesses we knew about going into Season AKA Why I'm not too upset!

NoCalMike

Anyways now that the dust has settled I'm not as devasted as I would have been in years past from a loss like this. I'm able to watch highlights and nfl network when normally I'm too pissed to watch anything football until at least Monday night. Robert is for real and I cannot wai until Garçon is back. Garçon is in a position to just go off this season. If we score 28+ points a week we will win more games than we lose. OP is right most our problems are known and expected. The one question mark (for some people) was how would Robert play with live bullets. I think he looked damn good for his first two starts on the road in domes. If he stays healthy we are set for a long time.

I was that way last night. Barely watch the Detroit-SF game and may only check in on the Atl-Den game tonight. Sometimes I just have to turn my mind on to something else to take the sting out of it.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 10:29 AM ----------

I laughed at the notion that the defense played well against the Saints last week so the play of the defense this week was no surprise to me.

We gave up 25 points to an offense that averaged 41 a game at home.

We held them to 18% 3rd down percentage when they averaged 56% last year

We held Brees to 46% passing when he set an NFL record with 73% last year

We forced 3 turnovers against the Saints

We pressured and harassed him all game.

Brees is going to get his yards and touchdowns. Not sure what else you want them to do.

They played awful against the Rams though. Terrible gameplan.

I really think overall on the offensive side of the ball this was another great game. Robinson had another good game, it could have been huge if he had caught that deep ball. He did everything great on that play except make the catch, his adjustment to put him in a position to make the catch was wonderful. Sure the bonehead penalty at the end of the game hurts, but up to that point I liked everything I saw.

If J.Wilson does miss the game next week that will be a big blow to our shakey secondary. He has definitely been our best CB.

I have been critical of the D too.

But think about it, the D had a touchdown and a pick in the endzone, and a forced fumble in crunch time that set us up with about 3:30 left in the game at around midfield.

Sure, they were frustrating, but a 14 point swing from your defense should win a game. I think this was a perfect storm with a lot of the little things hurting us in a big way in the end.

If the opposing team scores more than 20 I am not inclined to believe the defense did a great job. If the opposing team scores more than 30 IMO the defense didn't have a good day. When it's all said and done the defense exists to keep points off the board and the Rams put up 31 points.

The Rams ran for 151 yards at 5.6ypc. That's not good defense.

Sam Bradford ended up 26/35 (74%) 310yards 3TD 1int. That's not good defense either.

But here is a line that I think really hammers home the point: Sam Bradford had his best game as a pro! (highest QBR of his career)

If J.Wilson does miss the game next week that will be a big blow to our shakey secondary. He has definitely been our best CB.

I LOVED Wilson's play that saved the touchdown.. great heart, great tenacity. And as it turned out, Fletch intercepted the pass... Wilson denied them that TD through hustle. If he gives up on that play, the game is over then.

Josh Wilson, fast becoming my favorite Redskins player.

~Bang

Josh Wilson is a boss. We asked him to step up, and the man has done so with flying colors. Hopefully he bounces back from the concussion quickly.

pjfootballer mentioning our 3 turnovers of the Saints made me think, anyone else notice that we currently have a +5 turnover margin? Sure, we're not 2-0, we're 1-1, but we've had 3 takeaways in each game, and are currently tied with Houston for the best turnover margin in the NFL. Obviously that doesn't change our win-loss, but if we can keep turnovers down by the offense while the defense continues to create turnovers, we should be in a lot of games that people aren't expecting us to be in.

We gave up 25 points to an offense that averaged 41 a game at home.

We held them to 18% 3rd down percentage when they averaged 56% last year

We held Brees to 46% passing when he set an NFL record with 73% last year

We forced 3 turnovers against the Saints

We pressured and harassed him all game.

Brees is going to get his yards and touchdowns. Not sure what else you want them to do.

They played awful against the Rams though. Terrible gameplan.

Throw all the stats out there that you want to, but when your offense puts up a 40 spot and you are still holding your breath at the end of the game that's all you need to know about the 'D'. The fact that you are saying they "only" gave up 25 points is also telling.

Throw all the stats out there that you want to, but when your offense puts up a 40 spot and you are still holding your breath at the end of the game that's all you need to know about the 'D'. The fact that you are saying they "only" gave up 25 points is also telling.

Without that blocked punt, there is no "prevent" defense at the end and no holding our breath with a 15 point lead with 40 seconds to play. Giving up only 25 points to a team that scored over 500 points last year in their own house is pretty damn good.

So, Week 3, a loss at home and what jumps out at you the most? How badly the secondary and O-line were, right?

Then on top of that Trent Williams get injured, and his backup is not only bad, but horrendous. Then I hear from the pbp guy that he never even played in 2011? Really? I know our offseason was hampered with the salary cap penalty, but the best guy we could find was THAT GUY? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

The secondary? Still no good. Falling down on receptions where a tackle would have resulted in 3rd & longs instead of a TD....I just......I don't even know what to say.

These weaknesses will show up more in each game as the season goes on, unfortunately.

Archived