Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles not looking good :-(

brdawk20

It doesn't make a difference in the least. I've thought the Eagles looked like they were going to have a bad season nearly every year because of one thing or another. Never makes a difference, Andy Reid always has that team at 9-7 or 10-6 no matter who is playing by the end of the season.

Not to mention, the fact that Vick is left handed negates the need for a really good LT, which is to say, you lost Peters who is basically a RT playing on the left side, not a LT. It's hard to be the "best" LT in football when your QB is staring right at your side. He's not protecting anyone's blind side which is really was a normal LT does. He's basically playing with an enormous handicap, a QB that's looking his direction AND can run whenever he needs to.

As much as I hate to say it, as long as the Eagles have Andy Reid, they'll be fine. Once their fans grow loud enough to get Reid kicked out of town then they'll drop to the bottom of the heap.

I'm not sure any fan should be concerned about their team at this point (except the Rams). First preseason game, players just getting the rust off. Philly knew they'd need insurance at QB and even if Kafka wasn't injured, I'm not sure he'd be the answer. They'll still be a factor in the division. Hell, even Panther fans here in Charlotte have the ship sinking after 1 game and last couple of weeks they've been talking Super Bowl because of the Ryan Kalil add in the paper.

The loss of Jason Peters was devastating. I thought for sure Bell could step in and help fill the void, but he looked less than spectacular against Pitt. One could argue that he's still getting his feet wet, however he also showed signs of ineptitude in Buffalo.

Vick will be back for week one, however I don't expect him to play the full 16 game season. The man is made of Kleenex. I saw Vick last March in Virgina, I'm about 6'0 and I was looking down at him. He's more like 5'11.

Good point about Dunlap, what's the benefit of having a 6'9 tackle when your QB is almost a foot shorter?

Not to mention, the fact that Vick is left handed negates the need for a really good LT, which is to say, you lost Peters who is basically a RT playing on the left side, not a LT. It's hard to be the "best" LT in football when your QB is staring right at your side.
Peters' loss is very underrated. Because Michael Vick is left-handed, unlike most QB's he's a terrible passer when running to the right. The strategy most teams utilize when playing the Eagles is to force Vick to go in that direction. When Jason Peters was there, not even the Giants could do that consistently without sending a ton of blitzes. Now, even the Browns probably could. Plus, Peters was a beast in the run game, too.

This is why losing Peters will hurt the Eagles super badly...

Vick will now be often scrambling to the right because of the loss of Peters on the left side of the line.

Normally, this situation would be o.k. for a scrambling QB..

except for one thing

Vick is left handed. Vick is NOT good at scrabling to the right and throwing the ball nor is it easy to do so.

Again, Vick is pretty remarkable at throwing on the run no matter the direction. It's not easy to do, but Vick is one of the best at doing it.

Agreed. He's one of those guys I'd rather see stay in the pocket even if it means he's got a little more time. Every time he gets outside, defenders have to cheat toward him or they'll be burned, then when they do, they're burned by the pass anyway. Whether or not he's more accurate on the run or in the pocket I have no idea, but he's not any worse.

I'm not sure any fan should be concerned about their team at this point (except the Rams).

No need for the "except" part.

The Rams have 35 rookies on their team right now. You actually think they had a chance week 1 in preseason? :)

And no, that wasn't an exaggeration. They really have 35 rookies.

Again, Vick is pretty remarkable at throwing on the run no matter the direction. It's not easy to do, but Vick is one of the best at doing it.
Running to the right only gives Vick two option in the passing game: throw across his body to the right or throw to the left while running to the right. That's tough for any quarterback. Vick isn't any different in this regard. He's an excellent runner, but throwing while running to the right is a significant weakness of his.

Archived