Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chase Minnifield Waive: Per Redskins twitter

soljaofjesus

Exactly.

I don't know why some are coming into this thread and behaving like jackasses at our disappointment.

Nobody put this guy on a pedestal. Many were just showing optimism at what the coaches were saying about him.

The same as with Jenkins.

I swear, you can't even be enthusiastic about the prospects of young player anymore here without someone running you down. :doh:

I'm not glad to hear he's hurt or here to say "I told you so," since I didn't, but there are plenty of posters that put him on a pedestal. There have been countless posts on this forum all but guaranteeing that Minnifield would have taken Hall's starting spot by midseason.

So it isn't just narcissistic fans coming in to shatter the hopes and dreams of optimistic fans .

Jeez guys don't take it so personally. As laxpunk pointed out it's not directed at those that just showed hope or enthusiasm, it's directed at those claiming who would be a starter by the end of the season. And it really hasn't been that bad.

The "Minnifield will take D-Hall's job" posts were the small minority of fans. Most people expressed excitement over his progress and hoped he'd be healthy enough to contribute and compete for a job, maybe at nickel.

Sticking it to a small number of idiots at the expense of a majority of sensible people comes off as a ridiculously petty. And it always tends to be the same people who like to poke the dummies with a stick, at the expense of honest conversation and genuine hope, to the point where you feel like you can't say anything positive about anyone without one dude swooping in with a giant, red-hot branding iron with the words "YOU'RE STUPID!" on it.

And who cares if somebody says he'd take D-Hall's job? We all know it's not likely to happen, so why piss on everyone else's parade for what a few overly optimistic or straight up dumb football minds say?

The "Minnifield will take D-Hall's job" posts were the small minority of fans. Most people expressed excitement over his progress and hoped he'd be healthy enough to contribute and compete for a job, maybe at nickel.

Then don't take it so personally, it was directed at you.

It's easy to say "it wasn't directed at you personally" long after several people have called out posters for making broad, general statements that seem to target the board population at large. In the future, if you don't want people to "take it personal", perhaps it's be better to 1.) take the old adage "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it all" to heart, or 2.) target your posts at the invididuals in questions instead of making broad, sweeping generalizations.

Hopefully New England isn't looking to snag a corner...

If he turns into another Malcolm Kelly I'm going to be really sad. I mean, we didn't spend anything on him, but it'd be nice to find an undrafted player who rocks one of these days. Cowboys have Romo sits to pee, Giants have Cruz, Philadelphia HAD Jason Peters before his injury. *sigh* One of these years.

For the secondary, I'm still hoping that either Barnes or Griffin turns into a decent outside corner, and that we can slide DHall inside whenever we go to the nickel package.

I still have hopes for Grant Garner the UDFA Center, but still am disappointed about this. Healthy I think he still could be a starting CB and it's not just to put him on a pedestal. Many draft experts have him 2-3 round grade and coaches talked him up a ton. It's not just ESer's homerism that got the talk going.

Apparently we've all learned a little about why a microfracture in the knee scares teams, so much. To me it seemed to good to be true that he healed that quickly after the draft (that went so poorly for him). I'm still optimistic he can be a player on a future skins team.

It's easy to say "it wasn't directed at you personally" long after several people have called out posters for making broad, general statements that seem to target the board population at large. In the future, if you don't want people to "take it personal", perhaps it's be better to 1.) take the old adage "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it all" to heart, or 2.) target your posts at the invididuals in questions instead of making broad, sweeping generalizations.

It's not "easy to say," it's just telling it like it is. Maybe next time don't get so defensive and assume it's targeted at you, and we won't have this problem.

Jeez guys don't take it so personally. As laxpunk pointed out it's not directed at those that just showed hope or enthusiasm, it's directed at those claiming who would be a starter by the end of the season. And it really hasn't been that bad.

*ahem*

Lmao everyone on this forum was treating him like he was going to be the next Revis

Apparently "everyone" thought he'd be starter lol...

But the thing is, him going on IR in no way, shape or form proves that anyone was wrong in their assessments, unless the assessment was that he would be fully healthy the entire season.

---------- Post added July-24th-2012 at 08:54 PM ----------

It's not "easy to say," it's just telling it like it is. Maybe next time don't get so defensive and assume it's targeted at you, and we won't have this problem.

I bet you might find 8 people who felt Chase would be the starter by the end of the season...but if you read this thread you'd swear that viewpoint was the board consensus.

Ok you found one guy exaggerating, it's quite clearly in jest, and not to be taken at it's exact literal meaning...

Again none of this should be taken so personally... It's as if you guys think we'd rather see Minnifield fail than turn into the next Green. Obviously we all hope every Redskin succeeds, but a guy goes undrafted for a reason, and looking good in shirts and shorts doesn't mean a thing.

But the thing is, him going on IR in no way, shape or form proves that anyone was wrong in their assessments, unless the assessment was that he would be fully healthy the entire season.

Again, this is not about "assessments," it's about the guys claiming that he'd be a started by the end of the season. That's not an assessment it's an assertion.

Part of the hype is that we have nothing to do now but hype! In a few days "Chase" will be just another bank to us. BTW, if a CB named David Jones could be a shutdown corner, his side of the field would be Davy Jones's locker. That's cool.

Ok you found one guy exaggerating, it's quite clearly in jest, and not to be taken at it's exact literal meaning...

Again none of this should be taken so personally... It's as if you guys think we'd rather see Minnifield fail than turn into the next Green. Obviously we all hope every Redskin succeeds, but a guy goes undrafted for a reason, and looking good in shirts and shorts doesn't mean a thing.

Again, you are treating this like it's an indictment on his talent and ability. It's not. So whether or not he was drafted and how he looked in shirts and shorts plays no role in this whatsoever.

Again, this is not about "assessments," it's about the guys claiming that he'd be a started by the end of the season. That's not an assessment it's an assertion.

LOL...it's a conclusion based ON an assessment :ols:...or are you thinking the few here who made those types of definitive pronouncements did it because they thought he had really cool hair?

Again, you are treating this like it's an indictment on his talent and ability. It's not. So whether or not he was drafted and how he looked in shirts and shorts plays no role in this whatsoever.

No, I'm pointing out that he was undrafted due to his injury this making it quite crucial and also likely to recur, you're assuming what you said above.

And I was pointing out how he looked in shirts and shorts, because those claiming he was going to be a started used his performance in shirts/shorts to back it.

I'm not getting into a debate over this, my remark and majority of the other remarks weren't directed at you, so you who gives a ****? LOL

LOL...it's a conclusion based ON an assessment :ols:...or are you thinking the few here who made those types of definitive pronouncements did it because they thought he had really cool hair?

Than the assessment had a crucial flaw that it didn't take into account a crucial.

I bet you might find 8 people who felt Chase would be the starter by the end of the season...but if you read this thread you'd swear that viewpoint was the board consensus.

There was more than 8 ;)

It will be nice when our team is at a point when a player is picked up that every other team has passed on and the board thinks of them as camp fodder or a nice risk.

It's pretty sad that there is a big percentage of folks that think we got a steal on an undrafted injured player out of UVA.

I'm confused. How could so many experts and homers have been so wrong?

I refuse to believe this story. Must be some kind of mistake. Chase Is the best cb to ever play. Like, ever.

he's nothing special. just a man crush of a few so called draft experts here
This. Zoony gets it. It's not like he went undrafted or anything.

Oh...wait.

Grass is always greener on ES.

Don't forget majority of this site thought beck would be better than Rex.

Lmao everyone on this forum was treating him like he was going to be the next Revis

Yeah, can't imagine how anyone felt attacked. Not like people were making fun of others for being excited over Chase and mildly gloating at all.

Don't take it personal, guys.

There was more than 8 ;)

It will be nice when our team is at a point when a player is picked up that every other team has passed on and the board thinks of them as camp fodder or a nice risk.

It's pretty sad that there is a big percentage of folks that think we got a steal on an undrafted injured player out of UVA.

The dude has a second-or-third round grade without the injury. His talent on the field, when healthy, is pretty evident if you turn on tape, and we were led to be believe he was healthier than he actually was; that maybe he'd be healthy-ish time for training camp. He flashed his talent in camp, coaches seemed really excited about him, the brief glimpses the media had of him (even if it was out of pads) were largely positive.

The most I saw most people say is that, if the stars aligned, Chase might be able to play nickel corner at some point this season. The guys who were talking about Chase replacing D-Hall were much fewer and farther between than is made out.

But Heaven forbid we ever get excited about anything around here. "A young player? Promising talent you say? Bah-humbug! It is nothing but pure silliness to ever get one's hopes up!".

Fine, let's just wallow in more negativity around these parts, since it seems to be the only language most people can deal in.

---------- Post added July-25th-2012 at 12:17 AM ----------

Fine take it personal, assume it's about you, despite being told otherwise. I couldn't care less.

Dude, whoa. You mad, bro? Chillax. That post wasn't about you.

Don't take it personal. :-)

The dude has a second-or-third round grade without the injury.

Say what you want, but there were a lot of posts saying he was going to be a starter on this team.

After all of the FAIL I have seen on this team since their last super bowl, getting excited has run it's course.

No, I'm pointing out that he was undrafted due to his injury this making it quite crucial and also likely to recur, you're assuming what you said above.

Yes, because you said "a guy goes undrafted for a reason, and looking good in shirts and shorts doesn't mean a thing"...A guy goes undrafted, not "Chase went undrafted"...so you're not just talking about Chase and his injury...you're talking about any guy who goes undrafted, which speaks more to their talent level than anything else, because that's the overwhelming reason "A guy" goes undrafted. Then you combined it with another comment alluding to talent about people getting excited over how he looked in "shirts and shorts"...

And I was pointing out how he looked in shirts and shorts, because those claiming he was going to be a started used his performance in shirts/shorts to back it.

And again lol...that has zero to do with anything...so far nothing about him being cut says anything whatsoever about whether how he looked in shirts and shorts was indicative of how he would end up looking during training camp, preseason or the regular season. It's one billion percent irrelevant. If Chase was 100% healthy and was cut, THEN you'd have a point. But as it's being reported on so far, that's not the case, at all. For all we know, Minnifield WAS on his way to being the next Darrell Green until his injury. There's nothing so far in this report to validate ridiculing--even jokingly--anyone who felt Chase would become starter by year's end.

I'm not getting into a debate over this, my remark and majority of the other remarks weren't directed at you, so you who gives a ****? LOL

How do you know they weren't? lol...DO you actually know my position on Minnifield's chances?

There was more than 8 ;)

Ok, 10 lol...

Are you nuts? lol...Why in the world would ANY football fan yawn at the possibility of finding the next London Fletcher among the UDFA's?...Do you really think fans of the Patriots, Packers and Saints don't care who the team picks up among undrafted rookies, or that they don't notice when one of them starts looking like a steal? Hell, we had that one Packers fan on here gloating a few years ago about some UDFA's that Green Bay picked up and who were producing on the field. I don't remember him yawning while doing so. ;)

---------- Post added July-24th-2012 at 09:36 PM ----------

The most I saw most people say is that, if the stars aligned, Chase might be able to play nickel corner at some point this season. The guys who were talking about Chase replacing D-Hall were much fewer and farther between than is made out.

Anyone who doubts this, go read this thread:

Washington Examiner: Undrafted corner worth the Chase for Redskins

Yes, because you said "a guy goes undrafted for a reason, and looking good in shirts and shorts doesn't mean a thing"...A guy goes undrafted, not "Chase went undrafted"...so you're not just talking about Chase and his injury...you're talking about any guy who goes undrafted, which speaks more to their talent level than anything else, because that's the overwhelming reason "A guy" goes undrafted. Then you combined it with another comment alluding to talent about people getting excited over how he looked in "shirts and shorts"...

The level of assumption in this and semantic nit-picking is ridiculous. Believe whatever you want, despite being told otherwise, it seems to be a common theme in this thread.

Have a good night.

So was it all publicity hype? I thought we had found a diamond in the rough.

:rolleyes:

---------- Post added July-24th-2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

Here's another good thread, in that you see a number of posters putting forth the notion that posters are penciling in Minnifield as a starter:

Redskins.com: Minnifield Makes Strong First Impression

The posts that sum up the thread for me?

I was surprised but there are two references to him starting on the first page of this thread.
None of the references on the first page claim he will be an opening day starter. "Eventual starter" and "love for Minniefield to crack the starting lineup" is not anybody getting carried away. It's people hoping that a kid that A: Went undrafted, B: Is very talented, and C: Whose family has ties to Bruce Allen, could make an impact. Its a good story, and I hope Minniefield has the talent to be an EVENTUAL STARTER for us. Nothing wrong with cheering for the underdog.

Our secondary is very very shallow at depth...............not every single team is. Also, Barnes is potentially our day one starter at either nickel back or corner? I dont know what you mean about 4th stringer. We got Wilson on one corner, and D-Hall on inside or other corner. Barnes could beat Griffin out for that other spot that D-Hall isnt in. Sorry - but I think you are in the minority if you feel we are deep and stacked in the defensive backfield - it is well known that this is the weakness on our D. There is a difference between being the 4th best db on a team and being a 4th stringer?

Why do you have to talk like an 8th grade cheerleader. The weakness in the secondary falls strictly on the Safeties and not the CB's. Last year we didn't even have half of a Phillip Buchanon who was supposed to take up the slot and instead Barnes and Westbrook filled in nicely. With Dejon Gomes and Reed Doughty filling in for half the season practically we ranked 12th in defensive passing yards.

And I'm really sorry to say for all the people that love to bring up DeAngelo in the slot. If you even know Hall's play, it's that he's a lost man in the middle of the field. Hall's strengths rely heavily on his zone based coverage skills and using the sideline to his advantage. Griffin has a better set of ready skills than Barnes at this point and if Barnes beats out Griffin for any position - that's a real good thing. It doesn't hurt having Westbrook and Thompson behind that. Compared to last year, we upgraded the CB position from a depth perspective. Safety was a complete replacement and this defense runs so many sets with Doughty in it that you won't see so much of a complete difference back there. We've already gotten used to playing without Landry for the past 2 seasons and Atogwe was a rental. It's generally obvious that Merriweather has a strong edge at a starting position and the other guys brought in will help too.

The best thing about our secondary being our weakest position is that it's the best position to be the weakest at. Any football mind will tell you the play unravels from the front-up. A good line will make any secondary better. It doesn't hurt that some of the best teams in the league have the worst pass defenses in the league - this is how the game is played today, living and dying by the pass.

And people tend to forget about Tanard Jackson who has been nothing but solid on the football field.

Just ask Dallas Clark ,

Oh and ask Steve Smith

where was this sentiment when we cut marko mitchell....?

that dude was on track to the hof until we cut his career short....

---------------

good luck chase, hope malcom got the startionary bike seat custom padded cus it looks like that's going to be the only thing you're going to be giving press coverage

Archived