Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Shanahan's Final Message: Be Accountable

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Shanahans-Final-Message-Be-Accountable/aa86867a-0515-4e3d-858c-9598bb1dc3b6

With organized offseason workouts in the books and a little more than a month before the start of training camp, Redskins players are in a critical period of the NFL calendar.

On the one hand, this is the team's first extended vacation from the team facility since the middle of April. Given the grind of training camp into the regular season, this is the last time players will have free time until the Bye week in early November.

On the other hand, this is the last opportunity for players to prepare their minds and bodies for the upcoming season--the option that head coach Mike Shanahan expects his players to choose.

"I think relative to veterans, you’ve got four-and-a-half to five weeks [off] and with the rookies you’ve got until July 16," he explained. "It’s a long time, and you’re asking everybody to be accountable."

Shanahan praised his team for showing up to offseason workouts in good shape and working hard during their time at Redskins Park. As a show of good faith, he canceled the final mini-camp practice last Thursday in favor of a team-bonding day.

"We’ve got a team that’s pretty accountable," he said. "We’ve got guys that are really working hard. We had almost every one of our guys come in excellent shape to our preseason this year. We hardly had anybody that was out of shape, and that’s really a good sign."

With the influx of 21 draft picks, 27 free agents and 15 undrafted rookies in the last two years, training camp competitions should be at an all-time high under Shanahan.

Getting to know Shanahan as a coach the past couple years, that is just a classic line from him.

You hear "Be accountable," and it's not really threatening. But nor is it a comforting line either. He's got such a simple way of telling guys that if you mess around, you'll be gone. You show up ready to work, you'll get every opportunity. Love the amount of respect he expects from the players. Both for him, and themselves.

We all know it's wins that will really count in the end. That given, things have really changed IMV, and this is the most realistically hopeful time I've seen in quite a while.

This is the best potential weve had in awhile so I agree everybody has to step up,were in a tough division.

This is the best potential weve had in awhile so I agree everybody has to step up,were in a tough division.

A tough division that will beat itself up before we barely have a chance to play them. Could work out in our favor by the end of the season.

i'm so excited, i've got goosebumps about this team for the first time in years. I think the last time I felt this way was Gibbs first season back with the Skins. Being that I'm only 24, it sucks that I've only truly witnessed three playoff teams, 99, 05, and 07. We've witnessed what happens in recent years when a team successfully drafts a true franchise QB and I hope it's finally our turn.

Nothing is a given, but the way this schedule is looking?

We have a real opportunity to win enough games, to make the playoffs.

Sure, we need things to go our way like staying healthy, Rookie QB playing well, etc.

But I can easily see wins, where most have chalked down as losses.

Like the opener at the Superdome.

Normally, that's a loss with how good the Saints are, especially at home.

But with their bountygate & no film on RG3? Anything is possible.

We got the Rams early, with a new head coach and players. As well as a QB coming off injury and fairly bad play. Confidence could be an issue with Bradford??

The point is...

By the time we play the Eagles after the bye, They may be starting another QB besides Vick, with his durability issues.

We apparently know how to beat the Giants and convincingly.

If things bounce our way, my fellow Redskins fans?

Don't be shocked if your looking at an 5-4 or even 6-3 football team by the time the BYE gets here in Week 10.

But boy are those last 7 games, gonna be tough..

We all know it's wins that will really count in the end. That given, things have really changed IMV, and this is the most realistically hopeful time I've seen in quite a while.

Couldn't agree more. They are doing and saying the right things but we all know if we win 2 games this year it will be ugly.

But IMHO i feel like we are finally on the right track.

It's really hard to even consider how we're going to be without a preseason game to look at because the most important position on the roster is going to be filled by a rookie. All eyes will be on him every play. Our whole offense will hinge on his arm. I say that because if he can't threaten with the pass, teams can play our run. If he can pass... teams won't defend our run or be in a good position to defend his running.

It's really hard to even consider how we're going to be without a preseason game to look at because the most important position on the roster is going to be filled by a rookie. All eyes will be on him every play. Our whole offense will hinge on his arm. I say that because if he can't threaten with the pass, teams can play our run. If he can pass... teams won't defend our run or be in a good position to defend his running.

Wel, IF teams are defending the pass, they're not crowding the line; any position to stop RGIII's running will be long after he's gotten at least a 1st down, if not more.

Thats the best part of a rookie QB; teams can only look at college games to try and get an idea of his strengths and weaknesses. The first few games will prob be the strangest ones, being defenses are unsure, but later in the season, as tendencies begin to take form, they will begin adjusting.

Best part is, they STILL have to catch the guy...:logo:

Getting to know Shanahan as a coach the past couple years, that is just a classic line from him.

You hear "Be accountable," and it's not really threatening. But nor is it a comforting line either. He's got such a simple way of telling guys that if you mess around, you'll be gone. You show up ready to work, you'll get every opportunity. Love the amount of respect he expects from the players. Both for him, and themselves.

Agreed. Being accountable on the field is also a big deal. How many games are lost because players jump offsides, or commit pass interference, unnecessary roughness, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc at inopportune times and no one is held accountable? I'm not talking about blown calls by the refs, but calls that were correct. Accountability leads to a disciplined team.

In other words, no headlines with your name on it between now and training camp.

As Gibbs said, don't embarrass the Redskins. Though I kind of Like Shanahan's more straightforward, positive message. Focus is on what TO do, not what NOT to do.

I think it also says "When you return for training camp, come prepared. Come back in shape. Come back dedicated. Be accountable to your teammates and your coaches. Don't let each other down."

Wel, IF teams are defending the pass, they're not crowding the line; any position to stop RGIII's running will be long after he's gotten at least a 1st down, if not more.

Thats the best part of a rookie QB; teams can only look at college games to try and get an idea of his strengths and weaknesses. The first few games will prob be the strangest ones, being defenses are unsure, but later in the season, as tendencies begin to take form, they will begin adjusting.

Best part is, they STILL have to catch the guy...:logo:

That's probably why all of our new coaches start off strong... no one knows the tendancies... then we tank at the end of the year. All eyes will be on him starting with PREseason Game 1

Archived