Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hog Heaven - The defensive switch concept and the importance of using your best player

skinny21

Very interesting read in Redskins Breaking News section.

http://www.redskinshogheaven.com/

by Greg Trippiedi

The defensive switch concept isn't new. Option football has been around for close to 50 years, and thusly, strategies to defend option quarterbacks have been around forever. The only thing that's the same in the game of football now as it was fifty years ago is that the team that wins usually did a really good job of letting it's best players do the heavy lifting.

NFL defenses have been stunting, twisting, and pressuring forever, but the switch is far more prevelant in college football because option-based rushing attacks are far more prevelant in the college ranks. When I say 'switch', what I mean is any defensive concept where the defense switches up it's responsibilites in an attempt to throw off the offenses reads in the option game. Last year, the Redskins ran into plenty of switches when the played the Ryan brothers, Rex and Rob, three times combined last year.

The switch is a very effective counter for the stretch-boot game that Mike and Kyle Shanahan have employed. One of the reasons that Mike Shanahan was so lethal using the zone-boot game with the Denver Broncos is that his run-pass mix forced defenses to play vanilla looks, and to read and react defensively, which meant that regardless of what opponent the Broncos saw week to week, the bread and butter of the Denver offense could be excecuted to perfection practice to practice, game to game, and even year to year, and the Broncos players wouldn't see a lot of variation in the defensive looks. Every player on the Broncos offense could tell you where the ball would go based on any look in any practice or any game. In other words, they we're good at it.

The Broncos didn't see a lot of switches. Nor would they have had a considerably difficult time dealing with altered assignments. By the middle of Shanahan's tenure, the Broncos OL and backs were so good at executing their offense, that had opponents blitzed into their run actions, it would have just created more opportunity for damage down the field. The Redskins, however, aren't obviously better at running these zone and bootleg plays than they were back in 2008 and 2009, when they started using them.

click on the link to continue reading

interesting read but not the reason the zone boot game stalled with Kyle and Rex last season. Grossman just wasn't good in that version of the offense and was better used in a straight drop pass game. Redskins had zero problems getting the zone stretch boot game off with John Beck leading the offense but he sucked overall.At one point it was obvious Grossman didnt even have the ability to effectively carry out the fake and rollout quick enough so Kyle and Mike went to the Pitch action to Helu and Rex fake pitch pass ect. Fact is Kyle called two different games when Rex and John played and this year to play to their strengths. This year won't be a problem and its the first year Kyle will be able to run his whole offense with one player at the qb position.

interesting read but not the reason the zone boot game stalled with Kyle and Rex last season. Grossman just wasn't good in that version of the offense and was better used in a straight drop pass game. Redskins had zero problems getting the zone stretch boot game off with John Beck leading the offense but he sucked overall.At one point it was obvious Grossman didnt even have the ability to effectively carry out the fake and rollout quick enough so Kyle and Mike went to the Pitch action to Helu and Rex fake pitch pass ect. Fact is Kyle called two different games when Rex and John played and this year to play to their strengths. This year won't be a problem and its the first year Kyle will be able to run his whole offense with one player at the qb position.

LL=certified genius

Good read, in-depth stuff is always interesting.

But as far as the zone boot falling off late in the season, I'm scratching my head a bit for two reasons: The running game picked up big time toward the end of the season, and I can recall many times where Rex (and Beck) were running absolutely free with certainly enough time to make a play. They just didn't. That changes with Griffin, and he's already pointed out how much he digs all the open space. "Like, no one is out there".

I don't think it's about Griffin being athletic enough to get away if a guy doesn't bite on the fake and is coming right for him, because I think that will happen pretty rarely. It's alllllllllll about making the right decision and being a good critical thinker. I'm not worried about the offense properly executing a zone boot, I'm worried about the ball being thrown to the right spot afterwards. Well, not so much anymore ;)

I thought the article was in depth and very well articulated, but this is exactly why I posted this - to get other opinions. Well said LL.

I read the article and while it was in-depth so to speak it plainly ignored the fact that the Redskins did not have a QB to properly run the offense. The article also paints a picture that the NFL defenses have simply adapted to the system and renders it useless. The article fails to address the myriad of possibilities this offense will open up with a dynamic QB such as RGIII. The offense with a good QB would have been successful enough, now with a guy with wheels, brains and an arm it is going to be astounding. I agree with you LL, Rex and Beck limited the offense and what it is able to do to a defense.

This was a great read. However, I think it understated the impact of the decline in play by the offensive line and maybe focused too on offensive backfield personnel as the root cause.

My point is that the O-line's inabilty to stretch a running play to both ends was a big factor too. It made it easier to defend the Redskins with tactics like the switch, because there was less of a gamble. And maybe the need for quick cut and escapabilty of the Skins backfield personnel became more important, because the O-line wasn't doing a great job of preventing D-linemen from getting deep enough upfield to interrupt the flow of the play.

It's not all Grossman or Hightower. Okay, in Grossman's case, Griffin III might have "made better lemonade out of the lemons" the O-line was offering up. But how long would it have been before the hits and pressure would start to influence Griffin's play?

Let's at least semi-acknowledge that Grossman was a tough, game QB -- and playing as courageously as he could with the hands he was being dealt. It was a transition season, and the offense hadn't been restocked completely. 2012 should look better.

Frankly, this season -- maybe the spotlight should be less on Danny Smith (special teams coach) and more on Chris Foerster (offensive line coach). There's already been a change of Receivers coach, and Turner is doing a great job with developing running backs. ...So is this the season when the offensive line finally clicks, like the article mentions how the Broncos played?

Frankly, this season -- maybe the spotlight should be less on Danny Smith (special teams coach) and more on Chris Foerster (offensive line coach). There's already been a change of Receivers coach, and Turner is doing a great job with developing running backs. ...So is this the season when the offensive line finally clicks, like the article mentions how the Broncos played?

Foerster took a makeshift offensive line and we had 5 games in the last six with a running back rushing for over 100 yard, and gave up 1.6 sacks a game in that same time period. Not exactly a miserable coaching job.

The o-line still gets crap, but it played well until Kory and Trent went down with injuries in the middle of the season. Having Beck at quarterback didn't help.

What's Danny Smith's excuse?

Foerster took a makeshift offensive line and we had 5 games in the last six with a running back rushing for over 100 yard, and gave up 1.6 sacks a game in that same time period. Not exactly a miserable coaching job.

The o-line still gets crap, but it played well until Kory and Trent went down with injuries in the middle of the season. Having Beck at quarterback didn't help.

What's Danny Smith's excuse?

25th in rushing yds/game. 25th in attempts. 22nd in yards/carry *. We badly need to improve here, but it's kind of suspect to blame Foerster, particularly given the lack of health/depth (not to mention play-calling, QB limitations etc.).

I just hope we're able to run the ball more this year through better defense, more consistent offense, fewer turnovers, more balanced run/pass ratio. Running more would (obviously) help our defense, our rookie passer, and our o-line... and they could all use the help.

* I posted erroneous info a moment ago, sorry if that threw anyone off. Our defense was 15th across the board in the above categories.

Agreed -- the material Foerster was working with in 2011 wasn't great. So now, with players 2-3 years in the system, and some decent draft-picks to work with -- it's time for Foerster to show that he can craft a line that serves well in a ZBS.

As for Smith, depth is getting better at special teams -- so he'd better produce too. I've never cared for Smith much, but after Cerrato, the talent cupboard was a bit bare -- including special teams.

Mainly, I think this year's focus should be on the offensive line, because the O-line will be a big part of how well the 2012 Skins will play. And I've watched too many games when the O-line hasn't stepped up..

Well written in-depth article. I really appreciate articles like this. However, like others have already stated, I disagree with the premise. QB and line play was a huge reason our offense stalled and was ineffective at times last year. Also the idea that Helu is the key and all we have to do is give him more touches seems far fetched. I believe upgrades in the QB and O-line play are the keys and the skill positions will look a lot better because of those upgrades.

Agreed -- the material Foerster was working with in 2011 wasn't great. So now, with players 2-3 years in the system, and some decent draft-picks to work with -- it's time for Foerster to show that he can craft a line that serves well in a ZBS.

As for Smith, depth is getting better at special teams -- so he'd better produce too. I've never cared for Smith much, but after Cerrato, the talent cupboard was a bit bare -- including special teams.

Mainly, I think this year's focus should be on the offensive line, because the O-line will be a big part of how well the 2012 Skins will play. And I've watched too many games when the O-line hasn't stepped up..

I'm expecting an up and down season for both the line and ST (outside of Gano and the Aussie). I think 2013 is when we should expect solid to good play in these areas (along with just about the entire rest of our team).

25th in rushing yds/game. 25th in attempts. 22nd in yards/carry *. We badly need to improve here, but it's kind of suspect to blame Foerster, particularly given the lack of health/depth (not to mention play-calling, QB limitations etc.).

The difference between us ranking 25th in attempts (which is more an offensive coordinator thing and less an o-line thing) and the Bengals ranking at ten is a grand total of three more attempts per game. We were 25th in rushing yards a game, but the difference between us and the Bengals at 19 (despite averaging slightly more attempts and being much more run focused) is 11 yards. Stats don't tell the whole story, particularly about our offensive line, which I thought played much better than they did in 2010 and deserved some credit for playing well in a tough situation.

For some people, we're never going to run the ball enough, and the offensive line is never going to be good enough. If you really watch though, our o-line and our run game which much improved from a year ago, despite losing starters to injury and suspension and losing our best blocking tight end in Cooley.

Although RG3 will certainly help, the additions of Garcon and Morgan, to compliment a healthy Moss and Hankerson, will make more of a difference.

Normally I am on the same page as you KB but I think this is a bit of a reach. If Garcon and Morgan had Rex or Beck throwing them the ball vs. RGIII having Davis, Moss and take your pick I still think RGIII has greater success.

Normally I am on the same page as you KB but I think this is a bit of a reach. If Garcon and Morgan had Rex or Beck throwing them the ball vs. RGIII having Davis, Moss and take your pick I still think RGIII has greater success.

I am in absolute agreement with you, but from O line, to TE to WR to RB, everything on our offense will be much more improved. I think RG3 does better than Rexy did last year, with the same team, but not by too much and most because of his speed and ability to make his own play. If Rexy was starting this year, he looks like a much better QB IMO and that's the point I'd like us to remember.

Archived