Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Billick - Ryan Tannehill hype recalls JaMarcus Russell

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8284108d/article/billick-ryan-tannehill-hype-recalls-jamarcus-russell?module=HP11_cp

Jim Irsay called Ryan Tannehill a "hidden gem" and a "quiet secret" destined for the No. 3 pick in April's draft, but the Colts owner does not coach football games. Neither does Brian Billick, but he used to, and when he looks at the Texas A&M quarterback, a very dubious comparison comes to mind.

JaMarcus Russell, perhaps the biggest draft bust in NFL history.

Billick, an NFL Network analyst, appeared on ESPN's "Mike and Mike" show Thursday and said Tannehill reminds him of Russell because they "both shot up draft boards based on how they looked in shorts."

Russell underachieved in every sense of the word, and the Oakland Raiders don't get a free pass on taking him with the top overall pick in 2007.

Billick shouldn't receive a free pass for his track record drafting QBs, either. With the Baltimore Ravens from 1999 to 2007, the list includes Chris Redman (2000), Wes Pate (2002), Kyle Boller (19th overall in 2003), Josh Harris (2004), Derek Anderson (2005) and Troy Smith (2007). Not exactly a carnival of celebrated arms.

I spoke with NFL Network's Charley Casserly about the Tannehill/Russell comparison. The former general manager of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans didn't agree with the comparison.

More at the link...

We all know Irsay's just trying to keep his name in the press, like a couple other owners. *cough* But to Jim Irsay on Tannehill:

do-eet-72431463791.jpeg

LMAO in the fantasy we could choose between RG3 and Luck. (yeah I know Irsay said #3 QB, just sayin'.)

Yeah the comparison to "can't miss" Russell isn't Tannehill, it's "cant miss" Luck and RG3. It's like watching Peyton and Leaf all over again, and we get whoever the Colts TURN DOWN.

I like the Shanahans training our QB more than I'd like Bruce Ariens (though underrated) training him, but really wish there was a fantasy scenario we could choose ourselves, even though it looks like we're getting our guy anyways.

Wow, to be excited about the draft and then someone compares you with JaMarcus Russell is not right. Billick should have chosen his words more carefully.

Why? He called it as he sees it. People get cheered all the time in these parts for doing that. The hypocrisy lives on, but I digress.

If Tannehill is picked in the top ten and comes even close to Russel or Leaf in the next four to five seasons, it will be interesting to see what people to have to say about these comments then. Sure, Bilick has a horrible record drafting QB's, but let's not forget that Casserly's record isn't a world beater either. Anyone who has watch Tannehill play (even just highlight reels) and compared him to Luck, RGIII, or any first rounders from the past five years doesn't have to be an expert to realize that, if taken in the first, he has way more bust potential than even being a mediocre QB in the end.

Why? He called it as he sees it. People get cheered all the time in these parts for doing that. The hypocrisy lives on, but I digress.

If Tannehill is picked in the top ten and comes even close to Russel or Leaf in the next four to five seasons, it will be interesting to see what people to have to say about these comments then. Sure, Bilick has a horrible record drafting QB's, but let's not forget that Casserly's record isn't a world beater either. Anyone who has watch Tannehill play (even just highlight reels) and compared him to Luck, RGIII, or any first rounders from the past five years doesn't have to be an expert to realize that, if taken in the first, he has way more bust potential than even being a mediocre QB in the end.

The thing is, I don't think Billick was trying to say that Tannehill was another Russell in terms of ability or attitude. I think he was pointing out how both of the players paralell each other in how they came to prominence (i.e. both of them having....decent.... college careers only to shoot up the draft boards by looking great at the combine).

Whether a red flag should go up on Tannehill simply because he resembles JaMarcus Russell in that way is open for debate. However, it wasn't even a month ago that I was reading that Tannehill was a 2nd round prospect at best (maybe even early 3rd round). Now he is the 3rd best QB in the draft (still way behind Luck and Griffin) and might get taken in the 1st round?

Where is that red flag? :)

This is ridiculous. Weren't there character and work ethic concerns surrounding Russell? I don't think I've heard either about Tannehill. Sure, he seems to be moving up the boards, and will probably wind up going higher than he should, but I don't think his work ethic or character will be his undoing if he's a bust.

Agree with most of what you say. I don't think he will be taken in the top ten, but that's not my point. To me, for anyone coming out of college to be compared to Russell just carries a negative connotation, like being compared to Shuler. Also, I never was a Casserly fan, I liked Beathard.

I don't get the 'they shot up the draft board because of how they look in shorts'. I mean Cam Newton shot to the very top of the draft board after a ridiculous combine, was that any reason to think he would be the kind of idiot Jamarcus Russel was? It's backwards logic, it goes nowhere, it's pointless. Also, Tannehil is shooting up the draft board because, for lack of a better term, he's the next best QB and it's guaranteed the 2 best are going 1 and 2. Until the Skins moved up, there was a handful of teams looking at RG3, now they're looking at Ryan, and therefore, he'll probably be drafted higher. Simple as that. Doesn't have anything to do whatsoever with Jamarcus Russel.

---------- Post added April-16th-2012 at 10:04 PM ----------

As a matter of fact, it wasn't long ago RG3 wasn't considered even one of the top 3 QBs. Remember, it was "guys should we get Luck, Jones or Barkley"? Now people are debating on whether he should go ahead of Luck, so why isn't anyone speculating that the big, sudden (not AS sudden, I know) draft board climb for RG3 is dangerous and reminds them of jamarcus.

I don't think it's fair to compare any QB to Leaf or Russell unless they already have known, immense character flaws.

did you know that Leaf and Russell had character flaws back when they were drafted?

and the point about comparison to Tannehill is not their "character" but the hype around their abilities. I remember Russell was seen as a top 20 pick until he showed off his arm strength.

Tannehill was seen at best a 2nd round pick just a month ago. Then the QB "thirst" started after teams didnt get RG3 or Peyton, and thus Tannehill gets overrated.

This same thing happened last year with the QBs who were drafted in the first round last year after Cam too.

did you know that Leaf and Russell had character flaws back when they were drafted?

I think everyone knew they had character flaws before they were drafted. Hell, Leaf even said that the first thing he would do after he was drafted was "go to Las Vegas and party." If that doesn't scream "character flaw" then I don't really know what does.

Russell was immensely out of shape and his work ethic wasn't exactly one of his bright spots...

I think everyone knew they had character flaws before they were drafted. Hell, Leaf even said that the first thing he would do after he was drafted was "go to Las Vegas and party." If that doesn't scream "character flaw" then I don't really know what does.

Russell was immensely out of shape and his work ethic wasn't exactly one of his bright spots...

fair enough, that still isnt the point of Bilick's comments tho.

He is more about overrating a guy because of how he shows off at pro day/combine.

fair enough, that still isnt the point of Bilick's comments tho.

He is more about overrating a guy because of how he shows off at pro day/combine.

Very true. Most QBs worth anything do well at their pro days/combine. Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't think the comparison is fair to Tannehill; however, it is something to think about (as it is with most QBs) and I have a feeling that Tannehill will be "overdrafted" partly due to his performance. Doesn't warrant the Russel comparison though.

Very true. Most QBs worth anything do well at their pro days/combine. Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't think the comparison is fair to Tannehill; however, it is something to think about (as it is with most QBs) and I have a feeling that Tannehill will be "overdrafted" partly due to his performance. Doesn't warrant the Russel comparison though.

I think it does. The same thing that happened with Russell when he went #1 is going on with Tannehill right now. Russell went from a top 20 pick to #1 based on him throwing the ball 65 yards from his knees. Tannehilll has had a similar bump, and has done it with even less of a QB resume than Russell had at LSU. Tannehill may or may not be a hard worker, to be truthful idk because I never really invested much interest in the guy's backstory and he wasnt talked about much in college, but the rise in status is similar between him and Jamungus.

I think it does. The same thing that happened with Russell when he went #1 is going on with Tannehill right now. Russell went from a top 20 pick to #1 based on him throwing the ball 65 yards from his knees. Tannehilll has had a similar bump, and has done it with even less of a QB resume than Russell had at LSU. Tannehill may or may not be a hard worker, to be truthful idk because I never really invested much interest in the guy's backstory and he wasnt talked about much in college, but the rise in status is similar between him and Jamungus.

Yes, Russell did go #1, but the ONLY reason he went #1 was because the Raiders had the first pick that year, and it was an awful draft year for QBs. IIRC, literally no other team had him higher than a mid first, if that. A senile Al Davis (who also selected Darrius Heyward-Bey over Michael Crabtree) chose him.

Tannehill is at best the #3 QB in this draft (some would say Weeden is better than him). IMO he has shown relatively more than what Russell did at LSU while he was at A&M. He had definite flashes, and has shown the raw tools needed to be a good QB. Yes, it has been rumored that teams will trade up to draft him, but I'm almost 100% sure that no one will trade up, and Tannehill will fall to either the Dolphins at 8 or go even later in the first, maybe to a Browns team trading up from 22 or taking a shot and trading down from 4. Tannehill's bump was more from the Skins trading up to 2 than anything else. By us guaranteeing that the top 2 QBs will be taken with the first two picks, his draft stock rose thanks to supply and demand. Nothing more.

Yes, Russell did go #1, but the ONLY reason he went #1 was because the Raiders had the first pick that year, and it was an awful draft year for QBs. IIRC, literally no other team had him higher than a mid first, if that. A senile Al Davis (who also selected Darrius Heyward-Bey over Michael Crabtree) chose him.

the same thing is going on right now with Tannehill if he gets taken with a top 10 pick. The thirst for a franchise QB. The Raiders love big arms but if they chose someone else #1, Russell would have went at worst top 5 that year.

this is what was said about Jamarcus before the draft

"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

-- ESPN's Todd McShay

"I think JaMarcus Russell to the Raiders scares me. I would have done the exact same thing Oakland did, to be sure. But the formula for early success is a bad one there. So much pressure on him to perform well early, with such a porous offensive line, and who knows what at wideout."

-- SI's Peter King

"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

-- ESPN's Mel Kiper

"The workout Russell had was Star Wars. It was unbelievable."

Then-Tampa Bay Bucs coach Jon Gruden

"This year, I can't get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million ... From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it's frightening. The only thing that's going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you've got to figure out whether or not this kid wants to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be."

-- NFL Network's Mike Mayock

"I've never seen a kid that big who can sit there and just have people hanging on him and make the throws he can make. He reminds me a little bit of Daunte Culpepper, but a little bigger. I'm sure he's going to continue to be a great player."

-- Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak

you can find more here

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/

I quoted these because people like to forget the past at times when they are wrong about a player. I am not saying you had a certain view on Russell, but Russell would not have fallen past the Lions or Browns draft based off his workout. And he def would not have slipped past Tampa based of what Gruden just said at #4. That same thing is going on with Tannehill right now.

Tannehill is at best the #3 QB in this draft (some would say Weeden is better than him). IMO he has shown relatively more than what Russell did at LSU while he was at A&M. He had definite flashes, and has shown the raw tools needed to be a good QB.

ok, Im just going to say check the stats. Tannehill did not have a better career at A&M than Jamungus at LSU. Jamungus had a 28 TD/8 INT season his final year. And this was in a run first offense at LSU. Russell showed way more flashes of great talent including the Sugar Bowl game where GM's around the NFL got a boner off his display.

Yes, it has been rumored that teams will trade up to draft him, but I'm almost 100% sure that no one will trade up, and Tannehill will fall to either the Dolphins at 8 or go even later in the first, maybe to a Browns team trading up from 22 or taking a shot and trading down from 4. Tannehill's bump was more from the Skins trading up to 2 than anything else. By us guaranteeing that the top 2 QBs will be taken with the first two picks, his draft stock rose thanks to supply and demand. Nothing more.

honestly, if any team takes Tannehill in the first round then good luck to them. I dont see it. I didnt see it when he was in college either. I think he a good talent that can be worked with but I dont see the "eye opening" "gotta have" ability that have these teams fawning over him. Like I said earlier, its that thirst for a franchise QB that is causing this inflation of his draft status.

Nice quotes AsiaticSkinsFan. :cheers:

Their fawning all over Russell before and during the draft shows that these draft "experts" can be way WAY off target, and why we need to temper our enthusiasm for RG3.

I'm not saying that RG3 and Russell are the same (RG3 doesn't have a bad attitude like Russell and he has an excellent work ethic compared to Russell's non-exsistent one), but we don't want to put too much pressure on the rookie right away.

Nice quotes AsiaticSkinsFan. :cheers:

Their fawning all over Russell before and during the draft shows that these draft "experts" can be way WAY off target, and why we need to temper our enthusiasm for RG3.

I'm not saying that RG3 and Russell are the same (RG3 doesn't have a bad attitude like Russell and he has an excellent work ethic compared to Russell's non-exsistent one), but we don't want to put too much pressure on the rookie right away.

To be fair a couple of those write ups warned about his work ethic questions and the fit of him going to a bad situation with the Raiders. It is though a timely warning not to fall in love with a QB based on a workout in shorts and t-shirt throwing against air or one seasons stats in College football. That Todd McShay and Mel Kiper don't know what they are talking about is not news.

---------- Post added April-17th-2012 at 08:43 AM ----------

Tannehill is a great kid by all accounts and a hard worker. I don't see the character flags that were there with Russell, nor do I see that much similarity in skill set (I know your not suggesting there is). The hype and need factors are similar I guess, but not that similar.

I think Tannehill has a chance to be a really good NFL QB - but he is very inexperienced and you are drafting him for what he could become rather for what he is IMO. Thats not what top 10 picks should be spent on for me. Bottom of the first or top of the second if I was a team with an established QB edging up there in years I might roll the dice on Tannehill on the basis he would be holding a clipboard for a couple of years while my QB coach worked the edges off him.

I don't get the 'they shot up the draft board because of how they look in shorts'. I mean Cam Newton shot to the very top of the draft board after a ridiculous combine, was that any reason to think he would be the kind of idiot Jamarcus Russel was? It's backwards logic, it goes nowhere, it's pointless. Also, Tannehil is shooting up the draft board because, for lack of a better term, he's the next best QB and it's guaranteed the 2 best are going 1 and 2. Until the Skins moved up, there was a handful of teams looking at RG3, now they're looking at Ryan, and therefore, he'll probably be drafted higher. Simple as that. Doesn't have anything to do whatsoever with Jamarcus Russel..

Are you serious? All Cam Newton did was lead him team to an undefeated season, win some trophy called the Heisman, and win the consensus National Championship. Cam would have been a high pick regardless of what he did at the combine. The only negatives he had was that he operated in that spread system and only started one year at Auburn. Tannehill on the other hand put up average numbers on an above average team, similar to Blaine Gabbert. Tannehill also only started 19 games at QB. Comparing Cam and Tannehill is comparing apples to oranges, it's just not the same.

Teams are so focused on finding franchise QBs that they start drafting for need instead of maximizing value for a draft slot. That's how Blaine Gabbert gets drafted in the top 15 and how Tannehill is now considered a top 10 pick.

I don't get the 'they shot up the draft board because of how they look in shorts'. I mean Cam Newton shot to the very top of the draft board after a ridiculous combine, was that any reason to think he would be the kind of idiot Jamarcus Russel was?

The difference is, Newton was considered a top 10 pick before he "shot up" the draft board. Tannehill was considered a late 1st/early 2nd pick, who is now being touted as possibly going #3...not just that he's the 3rd best QB prospect, but going #3 overall. The only things he's done since then to jump up that much is 1) break his foot, and 2) look good in shorts.

As a matter of fact, it wasn't long ago RG3 wasn't considered even one of the top 3 QBs. Remember, it was "guys should we get Luck, Jones or Barkley"? Now people are debating on whether he should go ahead of Luck, so why isn't anyone speculating that the big, sudden (not AS sudden, I know) draft board climb for RG3 is dangerous and reminds them of jamarcus.

RG3 climbed the draft boards as his 2011 season went on. By January he was definitely being considered top 10 at the very least.

Archived