Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dollar Shave Club

MattFancy

Anyone ever heard of this?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-david-and-gillette-story.html

The Dollar Shave Club has men in a lather.

The e-commerce start-up opened its doors just a few weeks ago, and has already developed a following for its quirky approach to hawking razors and blades for a $3 to $9 monthly fee.

It began with a YouTube video, in which founder and Chief Executive Michael Dubin variously rides on a forklift, plays tennis, and dances with a fuzzy bear. It's already received some four million views.

Dollar Shave's motto? "Our blades are f— great."

The Santa Monica, Calif., company won't disclose its number of customers, only noting that 12,000 people signed up in the first 48 hours.

I just read the Yahoo story and now I'm kinda interested. Seems to be much cheaper than Gillette razors, but are they good and is it worth it?

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Now that I think about it, maybe its not cheaper.

I pay $15 for my Gillette razors. There's 4 in a pack and they usually last about a month each. So that would mean I'm paying around $4/month for my blades. So $6/month for 4 would mean they are $24 for a 4 pack.

Speaking of cleaning disposable razors, how the heck do you get those little hairs out from in between a double blade???

You take your index finger and run it horizontally across the blade several times. Or you could swish it around in a cup of water. Either way will work.

You take your index finger and run it horizontally across the blade several times. Or you could swish it around in a cup of water. Either way will work.

If you do this you're probably going to get little paper cut-like cuts on your fingers.

I just hold mine under the shower head on both sides and that pressure gets rid of anything.

I just hold mine under the shower head on both sides and that pressure gets rid of anything.

This, and doing vertically with the blade with my finger usually work...but if I shave with thicker stubble, neither will suffice - it just stays stuck. I'll try the washcloth trick!

My friend signed up for it. I shave a ton and this is still more expensive than buying the gilette razors in bulk or on sale when online. I guess if you wanted to use more fresh razors more often it's a good deal.

Every time I use off brand stuff it hasn't worked out for me so I am not going to subscribe. I still use the Fusion and just keep my eye out for sales at BJ's or online and I stock up.

Best thing to do: Grow a beard!

I am loyal as hell to my Mach 3. I do the same thing as skinsmarydu - dry the blade after each use and I seriously sometimes get up to 8 weeks of usage.

Mach 3 is a total rip off at $18 for a 4 pack but my face is used to it. My wife wanted to cut costs and used coupons on some other types - I tried them and they didnt feel right... I even tried an electric and I looked like I had a skin disease - it was terrible.

I did grow a goatee last year and dont have to shave 1/3 of my face now - the sensitive parts - so I can probably get 3 months out of Mach 3's now.

It was a great comercial, though... well done.

Archived