Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Looking back at what could have been with Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry

themurf

What could have been with Ryan Clar & Sean Taylor. Never should have drafted Landry.

Truth. Never understood why Clark wasn't retained. At least he wasn't stuck in the mess that ensued after his departure.

What could have been with Ryan Clar & Sean Taylor. Never should have drafted Landry.

And imagine having Willis or Revis. I guess Williams really loved his safetys though. If they'd have kept Clark we'd never have required Archuleta or Landry.

Landry was never as good as taylor was..What im about to say may be taken wrong by some people,but Sean will always be remembered for the impact he had while he was young and entering his prime than what he would have been now entering his 30's and slowing down..I know his life and family are more important than football,But we will never see Sean ever loose a step or play past his prime..All we will remember is what i think was the most imtimating safety in the league...

Well writen.

I don´t know about LaRon, he has all the tools...but so has JaVal McGee. Only they keep making plays that make you say wtf?

To become a better player I believe he needs to start working out to become a better football player instead of a bigger human. That 'hulk' looks doesn't make him a more durable football player.

I agree. Instead of having achilles surgery, he wants to lift weights 7 days a week. How many pictures has he taken of himself with his smart phone? lol. Insecure much?

Always like your stuff Murph and I was debating on what to say without offending you. I decided to sleep on it to find the right words. I'm just not sure rehashing old, depressing stuff is what I want to do anymore. Loved Sean as a safety (didn't know him personally, but did shed some tears when he died because this place was so emotional), but I think we really need to let him go. I like that people want to memorialize him and remember his birthday or the day he died, but he's never coming back and it's time for the Redskins and their fans to embrace this new era that began 2 years ago and is getting better by the year. I don't want to talk about the past, much like I don't like to brag about our ancient Super Bowls anymore. I do love to go into threads and talk about the past Super Bowl teams, but I hate when our fanbase wants to emulate those teams. We've been though a dozen safeties since Sean passed and now Laron is out. Area 51 needs to be put to bed and I'd rather read your articles about the present and future of the team and not the past.

Always like your stuff Murph and I was debating on what to say without offending you. I decided to sleep on it to find the right words. I'm just not sure rehashing old, depressing stuff is what I want to do anymore. Loved Sean as a safety (didn't know him personally, but did shed some tears when he died because this place was so emotional), but I think we really need to let him go. I like that people want to memorialize him and remember his birthday or the day he died, but he's never coming back and it's time for the Redskins and their fans to embrace this new era that began 2 years ago and is getting better by the year. I don't want to talk about the past, much like I don't like to brag about our ancient Super Bowls anymore. I do love to go into threads and talk about the past Super Bowl teams, but I hate when our fanbase wants to emulate those teams. We've been though a dozen safeties since Sean passed and now Laron is out. Area 51 needs to be put to bed and I'd rather read your articles about the present and future of the team and not the past.

+1 couldn't have said better my friend!

Truth. Never understood why Clark wasn't retained. At least he wasn't stuck in the mess that ensued after his departure.

I understood why Williams didn't want to give him starter's money (which is the reason why Clark left.). Williams at the time didn't believe he was a starter at the time and wanted someone who would make more of an impact at the SS. To Ryan's credit, he improved a lot as a player and make Williams look foolish, but at the time it made sense because Clark wasn't all that great at SS for us.

As for Landry, I agree with the OP that Taylor's death had a negative effect on his career, if just that he was forced to fill his shoes. While I think he did an admirable job doing so, it was obvious that it wasn't his game to play center field. When he came back to playing SS, it was obvious that that's the place where he belonged, where he could play aggressively at the line and be in the middle of things. Before he got hurt, he was looking like a real force again.

So, now the safety position, once a strength, looks pretty darn weak.

Good article, but I don't think you can blame Landry's need for self aggrandizement on Taylor's death. You need to look no further than his body building. He has gone far beyond what he needs to be a good safety and into the Mr. America realm. He has poor mechanics and takes poor angles and that has barely changed since he signed wit the team. So, either he cannot, or is unwilling, to learn or the team is unwilling to teach him how to be an NFL safety.

While he may be a nice guy, his antics and poor play have hurt the team far more than they have helped. I, for one, am glad to see him gone. I'm just sorry that we didn't trade him for something when he was healthy.

had this same discussion with a co-worker this week and I have a hard time accepting that Landry's career arc and skill set were dependent on taylor being with him... I think we expected LL to develop into a lot more than he did and would not have drafted him so high as solely an in the box safety...

I also swore williams plans for LL were to make him and taylor interchangeable, believing LL had the skill set to play all aspects of the safety position... if he did not believe that then I just can't see us using the 6th overall pick.. there is no denying though that the loss of taylor, did diminish LL's rolel on the team and he was not able to play the FS position at a high level... the two of them would have been epic, but I think any way you cut it, LL was assumed to be a much more dynamic player than he really was...

This is according to Chris Russell from 980, so please take this with a grain of salt.

In a conference call with NY reporters, Landry claims that his Achillies wasn't the big issue with his health in 2011, hence why he declined the surgery. Landry claims his real issue was bone spurs or bone fragments in his heel.

Russell then mentions that Landry CONSTANTLY complained about his Achilies and NOT his heel in 2011.

Again this is Chris "Redskins will wear Black Jerseys" Russell.

had this same discussion with a co-worker this week and I have a hard time accepting that Landry's career arc and skill set were dependent on taylor being with him... I think we expected LL to develop into a lot more than he did and would not have drafted him so high as solely an in the box safety...

I also swore williams plans for LL were to make him and taylor interchangeable, believing LL had the skill set to play all aspects of the safety position... if he did not believe that then I just can't see us using the 6th overall pick.. there is no denying though that the loss of taylor, did diminish LL's rolel on the team and he was not able to play the FS position at a high level... the two of them would have been epic, but I think any way you cut it, LL was assumed to be a much more dynamic player than he really was...

But he was drafted to be an in the box safety. His speed and ability to blitz were going to reek havoc on QBs and he did for a while. Troy Polamalu is a good example of a great in the box safety. True that Williams said his safeties were interchangeable, but I doubt if Sean had have lived that Landry would have ever seen center field.

What could have been says it all...

more disturbing is how many of our first rounders didn't work out(or not having a first)/aren't on the team once you go beyond Kerrigan, Trent and Orakpo.

No First, but no Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly(Fred Davis here)

No LaRon Landry

No First, Rocky is still here but how long?

No Carlos Rogers or Jason Campbell

Sadly Sean is gone

No First, No Taylor Jacobs the practice beast

Nopers...Patrick Ramsey

no need to go any farther than that since at that point it's about 10 Years and that's asking a lot for an NFL career unless you are a QB...well that and it just gets more depressing.

Archived