Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Independent Voter Thread

Teller

So, I've been thinking about switching my affiliation from republican to independent. The only real drawback I see is that I would no longer be able to vote in primaries (Maryland resident.)

As part of my thought process on this, I kind of want to pick the brains of some of the independent voters here. I know we have quite a few members who used to be members of a party before becoming unaffiliated. That's who I'm most interested in hearing from. What led to your decision? What are the benefits/drawbacks? Are you satisfied with your decision?

But I'd like to hear from anyone who doesn't have a party affiliation, or is affiliated with a third party. Essentially, let's discuss NOT being part of the "big two."

I used to be a registered Libertarian; but the last time I went to the DMV, I decided to change my affiliation to independent since I don't have the same, hard nosed libertarian views I had before. I just found that politics is a lot easier when viewed from the middle. Independents are becoming a very important demographic for candidates to appeal to. Even though I'm not affiliated with any particular party, I feel that I'm actually part of the most important political demographic in the country.

Feel the power, h_h.

My family were mainly appalachian new deal democrats. After experiencing Carter and growing up through the Reagan years I became a republican. I stayed one until Bush 2. I then had "hope" Obama might be different and change some things up. But it seems more of the same corporate oligarchy as before. I pretty much feel that as things stand now no president can be elected without being beholden to monied corporate interests. Just kind of soured on the whole thing right now.

I'm an independent. For the past few cycles I've gone out of my way to not vote for a D or R in elections. Mostly because I want the numbers to show people are sick of the two parties. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer Obama over Romney. But being Maryland allows me to feel comfortable not voting for Obama and instead going with the Libertarian or whoever to send my message....no matter how small it might be.

I've been registered Indy for the most part since 2004. I actually am currently registered GOP for the reason you mentioned above, so I can vote for RP in the primaries, but once its clear he is officially out, I will change back.

I am Indy mainly because I dont fit with either the policies or the real actions (despite their words) of any party at this point. My principles are very rigid, and I wont ever join a group that doesnt match at least 80% of my core views again.

Lastly, what Bang is saying is very true, I think Im more unaffiliated than what is commonly known as Indy these days

I totally agree with your premise, blue. I just wonder why candidates don't spend more time talking to "us." It seems to me that they're all for more interested in inflaming their bases.

Because their bases are way more motivated than most independent voters. Independent voters, I've noticed, don't usually get too riled up about politics unless a big, hot-button issue comes around. They're not as inclined to donate money to a politician or a political cause. They'll do a bit of studying on the candidates then vote for the person that pisses them off less.

I was a registered Republican since I was 18, and switched to a registered Independent during Bush Jr's 2nd term. I got fed up with the GOP and I wasn't about to sign on to everything DNC either. If anything I'm closer to a New Deal or Blue Dog Democrat (hence why I like Congressman Ben Chandler). Living in a closed primary state has its draw backs because I don't get my say in who runs in the general elections, but then with the exception of some of the few really close local elections my one vote doesn't matter all that much. In the end I like the "purity" of being Independent even though most times I have to vote for a Democrat due to the fact that most Republicans in Kentucky are too far away from me ideologically speaking. I also like being able to state that I'm a registered Independent when I call my representative's offices, reminding them that they can't just sit back and count on my vote to go their way because I'm a member of the party.

Better switch to "unaffiliated"

"independent" is not as independent as you might think.

~Bang

I don't even KNOW where I fit anymore, honestly. If anywhere. I've become a social moderate, maybe even left of center. But I'm still a fiscal conservative. I've probably gone further right of late in that department. I know that my party wouldn't have me socially. I know that NEITHER party would have me fiscally at this point. (I'm sorry, but fiscal conservatism is dead in this country. At least for now. Both parties pay lip service to it, but neither behaves that way.)

I've been registered Indy for the most part since 2004. I actually am currently registered GOP for the reason you mentioned above, so I can vote for RP in the primaries, but once its clear he is officially out, I will change back.

It sucks to have to do that. I understand the thinking behind closed primaries, but it seems like there should be a better option for people like you/us.

I am Indy mainly because I dont fit with either the policies or the real actions (despite their words) of any party at this point. My principles are very rigid, and I wont ever join a group that doesnt match at least 80% of my core views again.

Whether I agree or disagree (and in your case I usually agree) I respect posters like you. So many seem to sway with every change in the wind direction, or judge events based on the party affiliation of the people involved in a news story. I appreciate the honest stances that don't change when it's convenient.

Lastly, what Bang is saying is very true, I think Im more unaffiliated than what is commonly known as Indy these days

I probably shouldn't have used indy and unaffiliated interchangeably.

Because their bases are way more motivated than most independent voters. Independent voters, I've noticed, don't usually get too riled up about politics unless a big, hot-button issue comes around. They're not as inclined to donate money to a politician or a political cause. They'll do a bit of studying on the candidates then vote for the person that pisses them off less.

Push the button, the sheep respond. I know. I did it for a long time. It's a shame so many minor, mostly bull**** issues can have such a huge effect. Maybe if we stopped allowing that to work, we'd get some real effort on real issues.

I was a registered Republican since I was 18, and switched to a registered Independent during Bush Jr's 2nd term. I got fed up with the GOP and I wasn't about to sign on to everything DNC either. If anything I'm closer to a New Deal or Blue Dog Democrat (hence why I like Congressman Ben Chandler). Living in a closed primary state has its draw backs because I don't get my say in who runs in the general elections, but then with the exception of some of the few really close local elections my one vote doesn't matter all that much. In the end I like the "purity" of being Independent even though most times I have to vote for a Democrat due to the fact that most Republicans in Kentucky are too far away from me ideologically speaking. I also like being able to state that I'm a registered Independent when I call my representative's offices, reminding them that they can't just sit back and count on my vote to go their way because I'm a member of the party.

Excellent point. I hadn't even considered that. And I like seeing you say "most times I have to vote for a Democrat," as if they don't quite speak to you either. You often seem fairly liberal to me (probably because of my own biases) but it's comforting to know someone as informed and passionate as you are finds himself stuck in the middle sometimes too.

Thanks for the responses guys. Here in Maryland, any affiliation change has to be completed 12 weeks prior to the general election. I think after the primaries are over, the GOP will be one member smaller.

Excellent point. I hadn't even considered that. And I like seeing you say "most times I have to vote for a Democrat," as if they don't quite speak to you either.

As for the Democratic party as a whole, there is no way they are the best representation of what I value, but they're a heck of a lot closer than anything the GOP is putting up at this point. But, I'm pretty sure that for every one place where I would be classified as a Democrat there is another where I disagree with them. The GOP on the other hand, I don't think we've seen eye to eye for nearly a decade, and with Rush and Hannity running the show over there no way am I going to associate myself with that cynical bitter and angry mess. As for having to vote for a Democrat, that is especially true here in Kentucky, if I were on the East Coast I would probably be able to find a Centrist Republican to vote for, but they just don't exist out here, instead what we get are Democrats who in other parts of the country would be Centrist Republicans (or just Right of Center).

You often seem fairly liberal to me (probably because of my own biases) but it's comforting to know someone as informed and passionate as you are finds himself stuck in the middle sometimes too.

Oh don't get me wrong, on issues like social welfare, the environment, immigration, and the role of government I'd be easily confused with a Democrat. And most times anymore when I'm arguing with a GOPer on here it has more to do with confronting the logical fallacies and outright misrepresentation of reality, as well as unfair and hypocritical characterizations; but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm 100% supportive of the other side either. And to be quite honest, I do feel some bitterness toward the GOP, because I fell for the "Compassionate Conservatism" and I bought into the "Christian Right" for a long time only to realize that I was being played, and those wounds are still pretty raw with me which is one of my major turn offs with Newt, add to that the fact that in the past decade my worldview has been transformed and you get me. ;)

Archived