Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider: Redskins assistants Jackson, McCardell won’t return

Thiscat41

I thought McCardell did fine, look at a journeyman like Gaffney who had a strong year. At least I've heard of Dorrell thought. Raheem Morris is definitely an upgrade over Steve Jackson

Gaffney's been pretty consistent and solid throughout his career. Best numbers this year, but not leaps and bounds above numbers he's put up in the past:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaffJa00.htm

Someone's gotta catch the passes.

I, like you, was surprised by all this as soon as it was mentioned by TK a few days ago. I thought the WRs did well... but when you look closely, it was only the vets that really did well with the exception of Hankerson coming on late. The fact is, Armstrong regressed and all of our other young WRs did not improve as the season progressed. I think Shanahan is putting a major emphasis on coaches being able to coach up the young guys and turn them into something special, so from that standpoint this is acceptable.

That's just it, was Hank and Paul held back by the Coach? We don't know. But certainly the WR's production fell on the Vets and that show an inability to coach up the youth. Look at AA and Austin as well.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 08:00 AM ----------

I loved Henry Ellard as a player... but I just don't think he's a very good coach or an upgrade to McCardell.

Any reasons why? Right now all coaches on the JEts are bailing on the REX Wreck.

All we know is they won't return, but the reasons are infinite. Maybe it's less football performance based and more personal or personality based. Wouldn't be the first time. They spend probably 60 hours or more a week with each other, lord only knows what goes on.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 08:22 AM ----------

I thought McCardell did fine, look at a journeyman like Gaffney who had a strong year. At least I've heard of Dorrell thought. Raheem Morris is definitely an upgrade over Steve Jackson

I don't think whether or not a WR coach is a known quantity is all that big a deal.

Anybody else thing that maybe the problem is too many cooks in the kitchen? I think they should try going with fewer position coaches so there's less chance for mixed messages and conflicting ideologies. I like the idea of Morris working with the corners and safeties so they are more coordinated and not having separate position coaches.

I'm not surprised by either dismissal. None of us know what goes on in the film room, but for a WR coach to get the axe there must be some things that stand out on film.

One of the biggest issues with our receivers is YAC. We had to be statistically one of the worst in the NFL.

Your in the wrong thread, this belongs in either Random Thought Thread or Momma I got this thread, neither is in the stadium.

SWFL, remember Norman Bates from Psycho. Maybe another Bates might be coming to the Skins. Just maybe.:)

The motel is managed by a quiet young man called Norman. Hmmmmmmmm? Is possible, I guess.

He was connected with us in Shanny's first offseason. Makes sense, but hiring probably won't get juicy until after the superbowl, when people get promoted and there are many positions to fill.

Anybody else thing that maybe the problem is too many cooks in the kitchen? I think they should try going with fewer position coaches so there's less chance for mixed messages and conflicting ideologies. I like the idea of Morris working with the corners and safeties so they are more coordinated and not having separate position coaches.

hhhmmm seems really strange to me... sounds like scapegoating to me... This could very well be the issue... I guess we'll know soon enough.

I'm very good with Jackson being gone. I have no idea how he's stuck around as long as he had. The 'Skins DBs have been suspect with big names for years. And the younger guys had flashes but nothing consistent. Morris should be an instant upgrade in that area, and it never hurts to have a former HC on the coaching staff.

MaCardell, I was hoping that he would be a find. But I guess not. The receivers were improved this year from last year. And there was no off season. But when a team has as few explosive plays, I guess it's time to make a change. I wish him good luck in future endeavors.

I'm very good with Jackson being gone. I have no idea how he's stuck around as long as he had. The 'Skins DBs have been suspect with big names for years. And the younger guys had flashes but nothing consistent. Morris should be an instant upgrade in that area, and it never hurts to have a former HC on the coaching staff.

MaCardell, I was hoping that he would be a find. But I guess not. The receivers were improved this year from last year. And there was no off season. But when a team has as few explosive plays, I guess it's time to make a change. I wish him good luck in future endeavors.

Were they really? Armstrong signifcantly regressed. Austin didn't flash at all. Gaffney had a career year but he's been a solid vet that became our main target, it isn't a surprise his production increased with more opportunities. Moss had injuries but his reception totals were still way low. Banks and Robinson can't get on the field and Paul didn't show any development in the passing game.

This could all be a product of poor talent and maybe we just missed on all of those picks but the only production we seemed to get was out of established veterans.

Archived