Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins twitter - DeJon Gomes will start rest of season at SS over LL30 **UPDATED**

c4man5282

Redskins.com @Redskins

Jim Haslett says rookie DeJon Gomes will start rest of season at strong safety.

Zac Boyer @ZacBoyer 4m Details

#Redskins' DeJon Gomes clarified he will start at SS, but Oshiomogho Atogwe also said he will be a reserve the rest of the year.

Still trying to find out who is going to start at FS.

Rick Maese @RickMaese

Correction to previous tweet: DeJon Gomes will start at strong safety over LaRon Landry

Mike Jones @MikeJonesWaPo

Correction: Gomes to start at strong safety rest of the way. #Redskins

Redskins.com @Redskins 36s Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Status of FS Oshiomogho Atogwe uncertain at the moment. DeJon Gomes starting at SS could impact LaRon Landry more. Stay tuned. #Redskins

From Rotoworld:

Coach Mike Shanahan hinted that SS LaRon Landry (groin, Achilles) may be done for the season.

Landry, a difference-maker when healthy, has appeared in just 17 games over the last two seasons thanks to an assortment of injuries. That's left Reed Doughty to pick up the slack. Landry will be an unrestricted free agent after the season and the franchise tag has already been suggested as a possibility.

Eh..I like youth, but this guy is tiny. A SS that's no real threat to hit you hard.

I could care less how hard he hits as long as he gets the ball carrier on the ground and doesn't blow coverage.

Not getting stupid penalties or wagging his finger in the "no-no-no" motion after the other team gets a 20 yard first down would also be nice.

Eh..I like youth, but this guy is tiny. A SS that's no real threat to hit you hard.

I swear, people have absolutely horrendous conceptions of how big players need to be in the NFL. Ed Reed, Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu would like to have a word with you.

I'm wondering if Gomes just looks really small when he's covering Gronkowski, who is really big.

Any DB is going to look small when covering him. He's got 20-85 pounds and 2-9 inches on all of them.

I swear, people have absolutely horrendous conceptions of how big players need to be in the NFL. Ed Reed, Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu would like to have a word with you.

Any DB is going to loosmall when covering him. He's got 20-85 pounds and 2-9 inches on all of them.

Don't be an azz. Gomes is 5'11 . That's more than looking small..that is small. Don't point to a couple players and act as if that's the rule. He is tiny and at SS ...expect him to get bulldozed.

Don't be an azz. Gomes is 5'11 . That's more than looking small..that is small. Don't point to a couple players and act as if that's the rule. He is tiny and at SS ...expect him to get bulldozed.

.... Average size of NFL Strong Safety - 6'0 205

Dejon Gomes - 6'0 (or 5'11 1/2) and 208 before drafted... probably put on more weight now.... check your stats. Gomes is a beast in the box. Worry about the FS position

Good that Gomes is getting more time on field this year to develop.

We need to re-sign Landry. It should be a priority. In the past we have failed to re-sign our own players -- Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark come to mind. We should take a risk on Landry -- hopefully it won't cost as much as it would have before this year, and hopefully we get a hometown discount. And he was the 6th pick in the draft!! This is one of those situations where, given his upside, there is risk in keeping him but I think we have to take it.

We need to re-sign Landry. It should be a priority. In the past we have failed to re-sign our own players -- Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark come to mind. We should take a risk on Landry -- hopefully it won't cost as much as it would have before this year, and hopefully we get a hometown discount. And he was the 6th pick in the draft!! This is one of those situations where, given his upside, there is risk in keeping him but I think we have to take it.

He doesn't play. When he does play, he isn't any good. He's going to want a truckload of money. There's a good chance he fails an HGH test.

No thanks.

We need to re-sign Landry. It should be a priority. In the past we have failed to re-sign our own players -- Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark come to mind..

youre right, but those players werent hurt. this is about more than money. gotta sign him at the right price if at all.

Couch Potatoes Unite!!!

This is proof that being a work out warrior like Landry is bad for your health.;)

---------- Post added December-15th-2011 at 12:12 PM ----------

.... Average size of NFL Strong Safety - 6'0 205

Dejon Gomes - 6'0 (or 5'11 1/2) and 208 before drafted... probably put on more weight now.... check your stats.

Thanks for this info. I always thought Gomes was kind of small too but now I see he really isn't.

Archived