Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The payroll tax expiration fight thread.

Larry

Some of you arn't following along:

Its not just an extension for 2 months

It creates a new tax status listed in a previous post so that rich people will not get over after two months while the middle class pay for 7 months so they created an 18, 500 bracket that needs to be coded into software.

Just like the Daylight Savings time.. three weeks comes with a price for the coders.

Two of the major union representation of the different fields (Also linked earlier) stated this was a bad idea (they were both asked earlier for expertise but was put in last minute.

The GAO never had a chance to even score this, it was put together so fast.

Could you provide some kind of a link to that?

I've been reading the actual bill. (Well, as near as I can find it, which is a copy os the amendments that the Senate made to the House bill. Which is really annoying to try to read, since it's a list of changes without a list of what's being changed.)

And the only time I see such a number listed, is (as near as I can tell), where they change the "ceiling" for the FICA tax that is paid by the self employed. (The self employed have a special tax on them, because they have to pay both the "employee" and "employer" taxes.)

anyone happen to know the current rate on that ?

At present, the employee pays 4.2%, of the first $106,800. And the employer pays 6.2%, also of the first $106,800.

(There's also a Medicaid tax, where each of the employer and employee pay 1.45%, and there is no ceiling.)

It's not for two months, and we both know it.

The odds of Congress hitting every person in America with a tax hike, six months before an election?

They're arguing over what things will or won't get attached to it, and over which side gets credit/blame.

They allowed a vote?

Washington (CNN) -- House Speaker John Boehner on Thursday announced an agreement with Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid to extend the payroll tax cut for two months.

The deal amounted to a reversal of the opposition by House Republicans of the two-month extension passed by the Senate.

According to Republican and Democratic sources, previously recalcitrant House GOP leaders agreed to the short-term extension of the tax break to allow time for further negotiations.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/22/politics/congress-payroll-tax-cut/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

These asshats in congress suck!!!!! None of them stand for a ****ing thing other then to line their slimy pockets

This was never about 2 months vs 1 year, 166$ vs $1000, or the difficulty for accountants. It was about what concessions / spending cuts would be given in exchange for the payroll tax extension. The Tea Party could still throw a monkey wrench in the process if they get one member on the floor to dissent.

• 1 month later...
House Republican leaders agree to payroll-tax holiday extension without offsets

By Paul Kane, Updated: Monday, February 13, 5:21 PM

Trying to avert another tax showdown, House Republican leaders Monday proposed an extension of the withholding-tax holiday to the end of the year without offsetting spending cuts.

Locked in a fight over the payroll tax holiday since President Obama made it the centerpiece of his jobs legislation last September, the top three House GOP leaders backed off previous demands that its extension be accompanied by spending reductions to shore up the finances of the Social Security program, which is funded through withholding taxes.

Instead, while blaming Senate Democrats for not negotiating in good faith, House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and his top lieutenants said they would not be held responsible for an increase in taxes to 160 million workers, whose payroll withholdings are set to increase an average of $80 a month starting March 1.

Republicans want to continue negotiations over financing the rest of the original legislative package, including an extension of unemployment benefits and a key tweak to maintain Medicare reimbursement rates for doctors, while assuring that taxes will not rise on workers.

“Because the president and Senate Democratic leaders have not allowed their conferees to support a responsible bipartisan agreement, today House Republicans will introduce a backup plan that would simply extend the payroll tax holiday for the remainder of the year while the conference negotiations continue,” Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric I. Cantor (R-Va.) and House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said in a joint statement.

More from the link

(Buford's link)

I'm a bit surprised.

I was under the impression that the reason the Senate couldn't do the full-year extension, two months ago, was because the Senate Dems had to comply with the Senate's "pay as you go" rule (And, supposedly, the Senate couldn't come up with a way of paying for it, that would overcome a filibuster.)

For those like me who favor a balanced budget every year unless extreme circumstances prevent it . It may be in our best interest for Obama to get re-elected with the Republicans controlling both house's of congress???

Why I say this is both the R's and D's have had their chances recently to show their fiscal responsibility (or lack thereof) when controlling the 3 branches who control the budget, and it appears to me a balanced budget is not in either party's agenda based on their voting when controlling the office's who controlled the budget.

For those like me who favor a balanced budget every year unless extreme circumstances prevent it . It may be in our best interest for Obama to get re-elected with the Republicans controlling both house's of congress???

Why I say this is both the R's and D's have had their chances recently to show their fiscal responsibility (or lack thereof) when controlling the 3 branches who control the budget, and it appears to me a balanced budget is not in either party's agenda based on their voting when controlling the office's who controlled the budget.

The chicken hawks didn't expand it like this. If you stop combining Clinton with Obama, you'll see that current liberal polices are, in fact, expensive.

The chicken hawks didn't expand it like this. If you stop combining Clinton with Obama, you'll see that current liberal polices are, in fact, expensive.

I agree that the current polices are expensive and unaffordable! My point is the R's in congress only seem to care about fiscal conservatism when a D is President. Taking a budget surplus and turning that into a huge deficit when the R's controlled the Presidency, Senate and House, does not compute to me for fiscal conservatism. Yes I know Obama and friends "one upped them" with irresponsibly when it comes to budget deficits but it seems to me a recurring theme in our gov't is to agree when it comes to borrowing/spending more money (with interest), and continuing to push the hard decisions that will one day have to be made IRT the budget.

Archived