Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How does this rookie class of LB's compare to years past? (Updated 29 DEC 2011)

Drew_Fl

Note: I included JJ Watt b/c there was so much talk how he can play either DE or OLB, and I haven't watched enough Texans games to know what he plays right now. Same thing with Aldon Smith, although he's listed as DE in the draft, he's playing OLB.

Good info, and I agree completely. This round of LBs is one of the better ones in recent history.

FWIW, I wouldn't include Watt, he's a pure 3-4 DE. There's little to no chance he could play OLB.

The best part is, there should be enough ILBs in next year's draft that we should be able to find one to backup Fletch and eventually start opposite Perry Riley.

2005 started off awesome, but many have oddly fallen off already..

Ware

Merriman- Was a beast before he got busted for steroids, the injuries further finished him off.

Thomas Davis- Has been an excellent player when he's not hurt. Which is all the time lately.

Derrick Johnson- Has been a very good player since KC switched to the 3-4.

Kevin Burnett- Been a productive player the last 3 seasons.

Barrett Ruud- Has been a solid MLB for awhile.

Lofa Tatupu- Had some very good seasons for the Seahawks, but is one of those guys who has completely fallen off the map recently.

Channing Crowder- When healthy he's been a solid linebacker. Which like a lot of guys in this class, isn't much.

Kirk Morrison- Had some years where he was awesome for the Raiders, but didn't even start this year for the Bills. Must be out of gas already?

Michael Boley- Has been a great pick for the Falcons.

Basically what I'm getting at if you can't tell, linebackers careers tend to be hard to predict long term. Guys can start out hot, and one major injury can put them off the map. The high collison nature of the position makes some talented guys have short careers, especially the MLBs.

Hopefully this years class can stay healthier and have more long term success.

edited the OP to remove Watt and add Brooks Reed. If i forgot anyone else, let me know and I'll add them. I'll try to keep track during the season so we can see how they stack up easliy.

Scmitty, that is some great info. That class has some serious star power just based on names alone.

I'm glad to have Kerrigan. That guy makes plays all over the field. I don't really care about ROY because that's always a sexy stat contest. Kerrigan is going to be a great player for us for years to come.

Yea we definitely got a stud in Kerrigan. His motor, nose for the ball, and tackling form are at a top level already. I remember an interview he did in the first few weeks saying that he really only has one move and he needs to expand his arsenal to go to the next level of pass rushers. God help QB's if he does that, b/c he's already shown he is a force to be dealt with.

Looking at those numbers, if Von Miller wins DROY over Kerrigan, that would be a travesty. It would be absolutely ridiculous for Miller to get it just on sack numbers, you have to look at the player on the whole. Kerrigan gets the nod by far.

Kerrigan has been a one man wrecking crew.

He's already shown he's a better pass rusher and linebacker than Rak will ever be (Rak gets neutralized by TE's and RB's waaaay too often, he should always win those matchups.)

I'm most happy with the forced fumbles, eventually the ball will start bouncing our way, I'm just glad someone on the team is able to cause them.

Op, chart should show passes deflected and tackles for loss too :)

Kerrigan has been a one man wrecking crew.

He's already shown he's a better pass rusher and linebacker than Rak will ever be (Rak gets neutralized by TE's and RB's waaaay too often, he should always win those matchups.)

I'm most happy with the forced fumbles, eventually the ball will start bouncing our way, I'm just glad someone on the team is able to cause them.

Op, chart should show passes deflected and tackles for loss too :)

Not to derail the thread, but Rak has to be a legit threat, otherwise teams wouldn't worry about him and focus strictly on Kerrigan. That Rak is such a threat makes Kerrigan even more of one.

I'm glad to have Kerrigan. That guy makes plays all over the field. I don't really care about ROY because that's always a sexy stat contest. Kerrigan is going to be a great player for us for years to come.

It feels so good to watch the games and know that the Redskins have a guy like him. He actually gives me a glimmer of hope.

Bruce Carter just came off of PUP a few weeks ago. The Cowboys have only been using him on special teams and subpackages. He was coming off of injury when they drafted him ala Sean Lee. This is a redshirt year for him, basically. Sucks for them because Bradie James and Keith Brooking are truly garbage. James barely even plays anymore. According one of the news guys, Bill Jones, James played one snap against the Bills.

What are you talking about? All Von does is get sacks. Kerrigan gets sacks, forces fumbles, has more tackles, and oh yeah, he has a pick six to his name.

Von Millers had more of an impact for his team so far. Kerrigans had a good first half of his rookie season, but I feel some are getting a little ahead of themselves.

Von Millers had more of an impact for his team so far. Kerrigans had a good first half of his rookie season, but I feel some are getting a little ahead of themselves.

Yeah, that pick six had no impact, nor have his 4 forced fumbles. That's a lot more than a "good first half."

Good lord, we have a legit rookie playmaker and some fans are looking to trivialize what he's done. Fact is, Kerrigan should be the DROY, hands down.

Bruce Carter just came off of PUP a few weeks ago. The Cowboys have only been using him on special teams and subpackages. He was coming off of injury when they drafted him ala Sean Lee. This is a redshirt year for him, basically. Sucks for them because Bradie James and Keith Brooking are truly garbage. James barely even plays anymore. According one of the news guys, Bill Jones, James played one snap against the Bills.

We'll see more of Bruce Carter in coming weeks. He's gotten a couple more defensive snaps every week. As poorly as Brooking and James have played lately, I think we'll see a lot of Bruce Carter in the near future. The reason James didn't play vs Buffalo(besides poor play) was because Buffalo plays a lot of spread sets, and Dallas elected to play saftey Barry Church, whose a big saftey, at linebacker instead. Of course this is never ideal, as it gives up some in run defense, it prevented Dallas from getting gashed over the middle like they did vs Philly. Note that Dallas was in nickel most of the game due to the spread sets.

---------- Post added November-14th-2011 at 11:57 PM ----------

Yeah, that pick six had no impact, nor have his 4 forced fumbles. That's a lot more than a "good first half."

Good lord, we have a legit rookie playmaker and some fans are looking to trivialize what he's done. Fact is, Kerrigan should be the DROY, hands down.

Kerrigans pick six was a right place at the right time type of thing. I'm not saying Kerrigan wouldn't be a deserving candidate for the award, but to say he's hands down the DROY is a stretch.

Did you happen to catch the job Patrick Peterson did on Maclin this week?

Kerrigans pick six was a right place at the right time type of thing. I'm not saying Kerrigan wouldn't be a deserving candidate for the award, but to say he's hands down the DROY is a stretch.

Did you happen to catch the job Patrick Peterson did on Maclin this week?

The pick six was not "right place at the right time." It was an outstanding play from an outstanding player. He sheds a cut block, swats the pass, catches it, and scores. To say it was "right place at the right time" is insinuating that any OLB could have made that play, which isn't true.

What are you talking about? All Von does is get sacks. Kerrigan gets sacks, forces fumbles, has more tackles, and oh yeah, he has a pick six to his name.

Lol. All Von does is get sacks? He has 2 FFs and 3 less tackles than Kerrigan.

Kerrigan is having a great rookie year. No one is trivializing that. But honestly, the certainty with which you makes your posts comes off as ridiculous. It's BS because you claim that it's a "travesty" if Von Miller gets the award based off of sack numbers, then you go on to make the exact same argument for Kerrigan, just with FFs and tackles.

Von Miller is having a better rookie year not because he has more sacks, but because he is rushing the passer better. Sacks are just one indicator of that.

Lol. All Von does is get sacks? He has 2 FFs and 3 less tackles than Kerrigan.

Kerrigan is having a great rookie year. No one is trivializing that. But honestly, the certainty with which you makes your posts comes off as ridiculous. It's BS because you claim that it's a "travesty" if Von Miller gets the award based off of sack numbers, then you go on to make the exact same argument for Kerrigan, just with FFs and tackles.

Von Miller is having a better rookie year not because he has more sacks, but because he is rushing the passer better. Sacks are just one indicator of that.

Sacks are drive killing plays. FFs are GAME changing plays. Not to mention his INT for TD. DROY is rewarded the the top rookie defensive player, not the top defensive rusher. As of now, Kerrigan has the more impressive stat line.

Archived