Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which historic redskins would you want on our roster?

mzkp54

I've been pretty down the past week about our skins. I took the loss against the Eagles pretty hard, because no matter how much I try to not get my hopes up year after year, I still manage to drink the kool aid. I decided a good Saturday night activity would be watching the History of the Redskins which I bought a while back. I enjoyed it, because I don't know as much about our history as I'd like to, and while I was watching it got me thinking. I don't start threads often, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

If you could supplant parts of our roster with historic redskins (in their prime), who would make your cut?

Let's limit it to 10 changes you would make so it keeps the foundation of our current roster. I'm assuming most would make a QB change, but where else would you bring in a Redskins great? And which QB would you bring in? Would you keep Shanahan or make a coaching change? Would anyone not bring back our greats in Green and Monk? Who would you cut for your replacements?

Here is our current Roster:

QB- Beck, Grossman

RB- Hightower, Torain, Helu, Young

WR- Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Stallworth, Banks, Hankerson, Austin, Paul

TE- Cooley, Davis, Paulsen, Sellers

C- Cook, Montgomery

G- Chester, Hurt, Locklear, (Lichgensteiger)

T- Williams, Brown, Smith

DT- Cofield, Neild

DE- Bowen, Carriker, Golston, Scott, (Jenkins)

LB- Fletcher, Mcintosh, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fox, Jackson, Riley, White

CB- Hall, Wilson, Barnes, Buchanon, Westbrook

S- Landry, Atogwe, Doughty, Gomes

LS- Sundberg

P- Rocca

K- Gano

I haven't quite decided who I'd go with, I'll put it in as soon as I decide. Please justify your choices, so we can get some debate going too.

Hail :logo:

Great question. I'm only going to focus on one though.

I'd have to go with Darrell Green. DeAngelo Hall might be the most overrated CB in the history of football. The media has given his disgustingly awful coverage blunders a free ****ing pass because they choose to focus completely on Rex. Sorry MeAngelo, but my eyes are wide open.

So yeah, my choice is the great 28. :)

Offense: Joey T, Art Monk, (Not the HOGs because they would be too small), Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, Clinton Portis...That's 5 (Bye Grossman, any 3 older WR's, and Hightower)

I'm OK with Shanahan but NOBODY beats Gibbs in my book his 3 SB's with 3 different QB's may not be topped...That makes 6 (Bye Mike)

Defense: Darrell Green, Sean Taylor (sigh), Champ Bailey, Joe Lavender (we ran a 4-3 so I don't know about the DL in this system)...That makes 10 (Bye Josh, Westbrook, Buchanon, and Doughty)

only pick one would make sense the dude above me is building the greatest team ever lol. i dont think anyone needs sean taylor laron landry champ bailey and darrell green in the secondary.

one that would change things for us would be Sammy Baugh. He could play backup saftey so we cut reed. I think with his mobility and gun slinger menality MS would have a great offense around him. As well as punt on 4th downs so you wouldnt know if we were going for it or punting hard to return.

only pick one would make sense the dude above me is building the greatest team ever lol. i dont think anyone needs sean taylor laron landry champ bailey and darrell green in the secondary.

one that would change things for us would be Sammy Baugh. He could play backup saftey so we cut reed. I think with his mobility and gun slinger menality MS would have a great offense around him. As well as punt on 4th downs so you wouldnt know if we were going for it or punting hard to return.

LOL..in that case I'll stick with Joey T...love Baugh but I worry about his long throwing motion in today's game...as far as punting are you kidding me have you seen Theismann punt :D

Coach: No one tops Joe Gibbs

Offense: Sonny, Riggo, Monk, Clark, maybe Didier (not huge numbers, but had good hands)

Defense: Manley, Dave Butz, (can you imagine these guys flanked by Kerrigan and Orakpo?!), D. Green, Sean Taylor

Tough to imagine since these guys are all from different eras.

If you're asking which Redskins players I'd want on one single team:

London Fletcher, Chris Samuels, Darrell Green, Sean Taylor, Champ Bailey, Mark Rypien, Mark Moseley (seriously, Kicker who got MVP), John Riggins, Clinton Portis, Art.. The Posse, Santana Moss, Ken Houston, Jeff.. The Hogs, Mann * Manley, Doug Williams, and the other Quarterbacks who are too many for me to type even the I'm probably typing more by typing this.

'K, if I can only have 10 players, I'm going with the following to compliment what we already have:

Starting units ('Historic' additions in yellow):

Offense.

WR Gary Clark- One of the best deep threats I've ever seen.

RT Joe Jacoby- Just WHY was he not a first ballot HoF again?

RG Raleigh McKenzie- Hard to leave out May, but Rallo was more versatile and covers every line spot, whilst being just as good as Mark IMHO.

C Jeff Bostic- Best we've ever had.

LG Russ Grimm- See Bostic.

LT Trent Williams (Only current lineman I class as consistent, top level starting material going forward. Hence bringing in the main guys at the other four slots.).

TE Fred Davis

WR Art Monk- Does he need ANY introduction?

QB. Sammy Baugh- Tough choice between him and Sonny, but he's arguably the GOAT at ANY position. And he can cover punter if Sav goes down. :pfft:

FB Darrel Young

RB Roy Helu (Behind that line, he'd be devastating.).

Defense.

DE Jarvis Jenkins (Can't WAIT to see him out there next year.).

NT Chris Neild (Youth gets it's head with what's behind him.).

DE Barry Coefield

OLB Bryan Orakpo

ILB London Fletcher

ILB Sam Huff- Hardest, and one of the best LB's of all time.

OLB Ryan Kerrigan

CB Darrell Green- Best CB of all time. ANYWHERE!

FS Sean Taylor- Man I miss that man.

SS LaRon Landry

CB Pat Fischer- Small, but one tough ass SOB. Like Green being in there, we desperately need help at corner. And those two would shut down from the LOS on back.

The only real tough 'leave out's' were my all time favourite Redskin, Dex; and his compadre Charles Mann. But all things considered, in this 34, the other 4 are better fits and needs.

After some more tough debating, I'm cutting the following 10 players from the 53 to make room: Buchannon, Cook, Doughty, Fox, Gaffney, Golsten, Grossman, Locklear, Scott and Stallworth.

Nice, fun thread idea BTW man.

Hail.

*Edit* Crud, I've picked 11. This is WAY harder than it looks as we've been blessed with some top, top players over the years. Ok, I'ma take out Bostic, VERY reluctantly, and go with Monty at center. Flanked by Rallo and Grimm his size should sure up the interior.

I would still take some of the Hogs. Give me Lachey and Grimm. I think they would still pound defensive linemen and linebackers. Jacoby if he could play guard. Donnie Warren for a blocking TE. Charlie Taylor, Monk, Green... a young Sonny. And several others.

I'd bring back the entire 91 season roster, along with Manley, AND Champ Bailey!

Then bring on Vick, Brady, Manning, whoever they want to line up opposite of us...

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 09:13 AM ----------

'K, if I can only have 10 players, I'm going with the following to compliment what we already have:

Starting units ('Historic' additions in yellow):

Offense.

WR Gary Clark- One of the best deep threats I've ever seen.

RT Joe Jacoby- Just WHY was he not a first ballot HoF again?

RG Raleigh McKenzie- Hard to leave out May, but Rallo was more versatile and covers every line spot, whilst being just as good as Mark IMHO.

C Jeff Bostic- Best we've ever had.

LG Russ Grimm- See Bostic.

LT Trent Williams (Only current lineman I class as consistent, top level starting material going forward. Hence bringing in the main guys at the other four slots.).

TE Fred Davis

WR Art Monk- Does he need ANY introduction?

QB. Sammy Baugh- Tough choice between him and Sonny, but he's arguably the GOAT at ANY position. And he can cover punter if Sav goes down. :pfft:

FB Darrel Young

RB Roy Helu (Behind that line, he'd be devastating.).

Defense.

DE Jarvis Jenkins (Can't WAIT to see him out there next year.).

NT Chris Neild (Youth gets it's head with what's behind him.).

DE Barry Coefield

OLB Bryan Orakpo

ILB London Fletcher

ILB Sam Huff- Hardest, and one of the best LB's of all time.

OLB Ryan Kerrigan

CB Darrell Green- Best CB of all time. ANYWHERE!

FS Sean Taylor- Man I miss that man.

SS LaRon Landry

CB Pat Fischer- Small, but one tough ass SOB. Like Green being in there, we desperately need help at corner. And those two would shut down from the LOS on back.

The only real tough 'leave out's' were my all time favourite Redskin, Dex; and his compadre Charles Mann. But all things considered, in this 34, the other 4 are better fits and needs.

After some more tough debating, I'm cutting the following 10 players from the 53 to make room: Buchannon, Cook, Doughty, Fox, Gaffney, Golsten, Grossman, Locklear, Scott and Stallworth.

Nice, fun thread idea BTW man.

Hail.

*Edit* Crud, I've picked 11. This is WAY harder than it looks as we've been blessed with some top, top players over the years. Ok, I'ma take out Bostic, VERY reluctantly, and go with Monty at center. Flanked by Rallo and Grimm his size should sure up the interior.

I doubt you'd have to cut the guys you listed; I think they would see who is on the field and simply walk away because they know they would be far outclassed...

Archived