Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MySanAntonio.com: Cowboys boss addresses receiver’s disappearing act

tr1

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/nfl/2011/10/cowboys-boss-addresses-receivers-disappearing-act/

IRVING – Jerry Jones doesn’t know why Dez Bryant withers after halftime, but the Dallas Cowboys owner is certain of this: The talented wide receiver’s sloppy route running is a concern.

Bryant has played in four games this season. In three of those outings, including Sunday’s 20-16 loss at New England, he failed to catch a pass in the second half.

The disappearing act was a topic on Jones’ weekly radio show Tuesday, two days after Bryant got shut out in the tense second half against the Patriots after catching four passes for 78 yards in the first happened.

“I think that has kind of just happened,” Jones said of Bryant’s tendency to vanish after halftime. “It certainly is not a deliberate thing. It can be because the defense maybe has something to do with it.”

But Jones didn’t stop there.

“Dez needs to concentrate,” the owner added. “I’m not being critical of him, but he needs to continue to concentrate on his route running because there’s a reason for harping on running correct routes even though you’re a great receiver, and that is it gets you open and it causes other people to get open as well if each receiver will run his route.”

The Cowboys targeted Bryant only twice in the second half against New England. One of those passes came on a desperation heave by Tony Romo sits to pee at the end of the game that Bryant had no chance to catch because it sailed out of bounds.

Coach Jason Garrett said there were a few times in the red zone in the second half where the Cowboys wanted to go to Bryant, but circumstances prevented them from following through with that plan.

“They understand what kind of a weapon he is, and they gave him attention at different times in this ballgame,” Garrett said. “So the ball has to go elsewhere, and we have to make those other options good for us.”

Jones said he’s against trying to force the ball to Bryant, whose athletic skills give him an edge in jump ball situations.

“We’ll see more of him,” Jones said. “We would like to have him but of course you have to watch just trying to get the ball to him completely because that’s where we got one of those interceptions here (against Detroit) two weeks ago.”

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 07:07 AM ----------

Talented, yet sloppy...:rotflmao:

How many more years will it take for him to figure it out?

That guy is pathetic.

Isn't that one of Jerry Jones "The GM's" acquisitions? Oh that's right he is also the owner who has a radio show that is never criticized for anyhting he says about anything. OH! :doh1: He owns the Dallas Cowboys, the savior of the NFL, master of da bater, and the guy that make any convict a model citizen. I must have lost my mind :insane:

I'd take him in DC if he needs a fresh start. He's insanely talented and in the first half he can't be covered. Even Revis was unable to shut him down. He needs some polish... Ok a lot of polish, but great wide outs often have issues. Half of them are Megatron and the other half Marshall.

Jerry Jones needs to keep his yap shut. I'm extremely happy that Dez is a Cowboy. They need to get him the ball in the 2nd half. If they do that they will win some games. Pretty simple.

My question though, is what does really happen to Dez? Same with Miles ... they break out early in the game and become non existent later in the game.

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 01:23 PM ----------

I'd take him in DC if he needs a fresh start. He's insanely talented and in the first half he can't be covered. Even Revis was unable to shut him down. He needs some polish... Ok a lot of polish, but great wide outs often have issues. Half of them are Megatron and the other half Marshall.

More like you have Megatron and Fitzgerald ... the rest are nut cases lol

My question though, is what does really happen to Dez? Same with Miles ... they break out early in the game and become non existent later in the game.[l

against Detroit Romo sits to pee started throwing the ball to the wrong team. Against New England, Jason Garrett went way too conservative as a direct result of what happened against Detroit....

I like Dez and think he is capable of being a beast with his physical ability, but he also comes across as having a screw loose or two if you know what I mean. And that's more than just being a nutcase but a genuinely stupid dude.

Off topic but the one guy on that team that people need to get over is Felix Jones, the guy is a bust and half He is Reggie Bush in a cowboy uniform. He has had plenty of time to become an NFL caliber rb but then gets hurt, and when he's not hurt...he just sucks it up on the field 90% of the time yet I constantly hear people talk about him like he is some top of the line rb, its ridiculous. At some point you just have to look at reality and he is a quality backup/tempo changer, nothing more.

Against New England, Jason Garrett went way too conservative as a direct result of what happened against Detroit....

That was only on one possession though. Romo sits to pee threw 22 passes in the 2nd half for nearly 200 yards against that Pats. He threw a bunch to Austin but only two were directed to Bryant (really one since one of those was the end of game hail mary). I would hardly call their game plan conservative. The last possession, yes.

That was only on one possession though. Romo sits to pee threw 22 passes in the 2nd half for nearly 200 yards against that Pats. He threw a bunch to Austin but only two were directed to Bryant (really one since one of those was the end of game hail mary). I would hardly call their game plan conservative. The last possession, yes.

Yeah, even on the last possession it's debatable what Garretts original intentions were. It appeared (to me anyways) to be a pass play on 3rd down, and then a false start penalty bumped them back and changed the playcall. Who knows for sure though.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 12:06 PM ----------

LOL. All I heard last year was about how Dez Bryant was clearly the best WR in the draft and a top 5 talent. Now, he's struggling to keep up with Giants' UDFA WR from that year.

Making such big claims off a small sample size from Cruz is risky. He's made some incredible juggling catches, ones it's hard to judge at this point were a result of skill or luck. Better question to address after the season.

Bryants played 16 football games in the last 2 and a half years, he's a very young developing player, the mistakes are going to happen. I understand some people were claiming he'd be a pro bowler this season, but those people honestly were unrealistic, he's still a raw player.

I just love it that Jerry's still so involved in that team. Sure he's BEEN successful in his hands-on role, but in the scope of Snyder's hands-on disaster, the Cowboys have basically accomplished just as much.

So Snyder has pulled away, while Jerry is still trying to figure things out. Dallas needs to stop acting like they're deserving of all this success, and they're just a player away or a season away.

Jerry needs a real GM IMO. They need an overhaul. They need a reality check. Until then, they will keep being a decent team but GREATLY overhyped and simply getting older.

But that won't happen till Jerruh kicks the bucket, and he seems pretty healthy to me, so...enjoy overhyped mediocrity Dallas.

Archived