Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Peter King MMQB - mentions of Redskins, Eagles and Chris Cooley

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/10/Week5/index.html

Fine Fifteen

1. Green Bay (5-0). As my Friday night Versus-mate Mike Florio points out, if the top two teams in the NFC North keep winning, the Packers and Lions will get to their Thanksgiving High Noon showdown 10-0.

2. Baltimore (3-1). Everything is coming up roses for the Ravens. The bye week allows key corner Jimmy Smith to come back from injury in time to face Houston's Matt Schaub in six days ... with Andre Johnson sidelined with the hamstring problem.

3. New England (4-1). Wes Welker, five catches for 126 yards. I'm beginning to think we just might discuss him in the Hall of Fame room someday. Might.

4. Detroit (4-0). Lions Hit The Big Time quiz: (No cheating, please) Who was the Lions' starting quarterback in their last Monday night game? Clue: The game was played 10 years ago in Pontiac, and the Leos were wiped off the floor of the Silverdome by the Greatest Show on Turf, the Kurt Warner-led Rams, 35-0. (Answer in Ten Things below.)....

9. Washington (3-1). On their bye Sunday, the Redskins had a very good day. They watched the Giants (3-2) and Eagles (1-4) lose, and they're alone in first in the NFC East.

The kind of play that ruins a season -- and says so much about the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles.

The Eagles are playing in quicksand. They make a little progress, make a couple of plays and then, week after week, do something really stupid to set themselves back. A strip. A penalty. An interception. An idiotic offside call when they can least afford it. Sloppy teams do dumb things like that all the time, and the Eagles right now are both sloppy and dumb.

One play in the 31-24 loss to Buffalo illustrated that perfectly. I had to watch the play over and over in the NBC viewing room, sitting next to Tony Dungy, who was trying to figure it out too.

Down 14-7 midway through the second quarter, the Eagles took over at their 22. On first down, Vick retreated to throw. The Bills blitzed a cornerback (I couldn't read his number) around the Eagles' left end, and sent a rookie linebacker, Kelvin Sheppard, from over the left guard. At the snap of the ball, rookie center Jason Kelce pulled to the left. The Eagles running back on the play took care of the defensive back blitzing to the left of Vick. There was a moment in time -- we froze the image at NBC on the wide-angle view of the field, with all players on the screen -- where Kelce, pulling left, looked as if he'd be head-up on Sheppard and easily neutralize him so Vick would have enough time to find one of the four receivers in the pass-route.

Inexplicably, Kelce sprinted left to double-team a defensive back who was already well blocked.

"I know when he goes back and looks at film of that play, that center will be beating himself up over that one,'' Sheppard told me. "The crazy thing was, everything cleared out, and there was this huge hole to rush through. My eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store. There was nobody between me and Vick.''

Sheppard came unblocked at Vick. "I had a guy coming down my gun barrel and I should have just took the sack,'' said Vick. "I think that was a game-changer. Those things can't happen.''

True: Vick should have taken the sack. His greed to make a play led to throwing the ball right to Nick Barnett, who ran it in 31 yards for a touchdown. This is certainly partially Vick's fault because he has to eat that ball. But Kelce's mistake ... I guess you'd call it a rookie mistake. But it's so incomprehensible.

It was a bizarre play, the kind of mistake that illustrates perfectly why the Eagles are in this predicament. Because of injuries (both in the preseason and during the season), the Eagles started five offensive lineman Sunday, none of whom were the presumed starters at their positions last March. Two rookies (Kelce and guard Danny Watkins), one bargain free agent (guard Evan Mathis), one converted guard at tackle (Todd Herremans), one failed right tackle at left tackle (King Dunlap). Vick only took one sack Sunday, but I'd bet he took 12 good hits or so.

It's not too late for the Eagles to get out of this, with the talent they have. But Washington and confusing defensive coordinator Jim Haslett are up next. Not a good week for rookie centers to figure out which blitzers to pick up. Haslett has to be looking at the video today excited at the change-ups he'll be able to throw at the Eagles.

8. I think Chris Cooley was too acerbic for me with his original dancing-on-Tony-Romo sits to pee's-failures comments, but I liked what he said in clarification on his blog the other day. For those who didn't read, Cooley said he took great pleasure in seeing Romo sits to pee choke away a huge lead against Detroit eight days ago. His blogged followup, in small part: "In a league full of glad-handing and ass slapping between competing teams, I actually care about the organization and fan base that has supported me throughout my 8-year career. While I feel an honest respect for all NFL players, I show no remorse in cheering against another team, especially the Cowboys. If it sounded like I was delighted by Tony Romo sits to pee's failure last week, I was.'' I get it.

---------- Post added October-10th-2011 at 02:02 PM ----------

I think Cooley won that round between him and the press :yes:...

I agree with your comment about Cooley. I love that he did not back down and he defended his position intelligently and honestly. He said exactly what a lot of us fans have felt for a long while now. I hate when the game is over and the Skin's and Boys players are hugging and laughing and joking and shaking hands and just having a good 'ol time. I believe these comments and the eternal Dallass love from the media are exactly the kind of ingredients which built the initial rivalry which at one time was the greatest in the NFL. It is this competitive energy and flat out hate for the other that lead to so many great moments like "WE WANT DALLAS" echoing throughout the stadium! I love it!

Clearly!

Is it me or did espn just shut up about the whole situation once cooley replied? After reading his tweeter responses and absolutely owning the douche bags that responded to his comments, I think espn tucked their @$$ between their legs and ran the other way....I really cant blame them.

---------- Post added October-10th-2011 at 02:02 PM ----------

Game Blouses! Great response by Cooley and eff ESPN regardless. They swallow Jerry's Boys at every turn.

As to the Eagles passage from PK...great news, a shaky OL against Rak & Boy Wonder is going to lead to an epic game on Sunday. Everyone screams contain Vick, I'd rather Haslett focus on keeping McCoy under wraps

Clearly!

Is it me or did espn just shut up about the whole situation once cooley replied? After reading his tweeter responses and absolutely owning the douche bags that responded to his comments, I think espn tucked their @$$ between their legs and ran the other way....I really cant blame them.

Meh, they wouldn't have kept with that 'story' anyway. Just another chance for Skip to take a quick shot. They didn't want to pursue that any further with Cooley because they'd end up looking stupid, and they know it.

Like can you imagine Cooley on the phone with Skip? Holy hell..

Here's that Eagles/Vick/Nick Barnett pick 6 he talks about. What a complete cluster****. On so many levels:

I understand unblocked pressure and all of that, but who the hell was Vick throwing to? It's like he panicked and just threw it to throw it. Longer video with more replays:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/WK5-Cant-Miss-Play-Vick-pick-six/041d8a00-2625-47ed-ac02-c67d6acfd07f

God I'm so nervous for this game. I'm terrified of being optimistic.

btw, the starting QB the last time Detroit played on Monday night? Charlie Batch. I couldn't think of it for the of me. I was going with Joey Harrington but I think I was off by a year.

I understand unblocked pressure and all of that, but who the hell was Vick throwing to? It's like he panicked and just threw it to throw it. Longer video with more replays:

He was throwing it to Shepherd hoping he would turn in time, but the left guard got in his way while blocking. Beyond the line of scrimmage I might add.

i didnt know the eagles oline was that bad, i think our defense will destroy them

What's a little concerning is that if we get that much pressure on Vick, he could run for 100+ yards if things turn into street ball. Not only do we need to pressure him, but we need to finish those plays in the backfield or force him to throw under siege.

What's a little concerning is that if we get that much pressure on Vick, he could run for 100+ yards if things turn into street ball. Not only do we need to pressure him, but we need to finish those plays in the backfield or force him to throw under siege.

yep, its no shocker to me that the eagles oline is bad. their best lineman is peters, and i dont think much of him (and he's currently hurt).

but we still have to get vick down. he will escape the rush a few times.

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 09:48 AM ----------

That's a generous ranking by King. I'm not sure that we're better than Oakland, Houston, or Pittsburgh. I don't think we could beat Tenn by 21 like Pitt did. I think ranking us 12-13 is about right.

i think its generous as well. people are sleeping on pittsburgh. they'll be fine and are their normal playoff contending selves. we dont really know if we are more legit than oakland or houston, but houston just lost their best pass rusher and receiver and we have a better record than both oakland and houston. so i can agree with the ranking, but it just seems too high until our offense proves it can score.

people are saying, "are the redskins legit".. i dont think thats the way to approach the question, because i dont see us as superbowl contenders. we are an improving team that is limited at qb and is mediocre in many other areas. i think we are legitametly competitive.

Their O-line isn't that bad...you know...except for all the sacks and stuff....sorry...... My approach this week would be not to go for the sack. I think Rak and Kerrigan need to get pressure from the ends but not go for the kill shot and leave Vick room to run. Let Barry push up the middlle and contain him. I think if we minimize big plays we are OK. I have seen all the Philly games and really, without the big play, they don't do a whole lot.

that is true, we need to get "quick pressure" where he doesnt have time to scramble

Archived