Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Refs blow call in Giants Game

butzskins

Victor Cruz didn't "give up on the play" He was trying to make a juke to get some more YAC, and stumbled to the ground untouched, then makes a boneheaded move that should have secured the game for the Cardinals.

Something tells me if that isn't the Giants, the officials find a reason to allow Cardinals to challenge it and Cardinals win game.

Let's not forget to mention that the Giants tried to get the next play off a play as fast as they could knowing full well that was a Fumble. So everyone thought it was fumble except the referee. Can't stand the Giants between their luck and the bull**** calls it's a joke. Coughlin crying all game long every game its sickening

hahaha, I was just thinking today how sick and tired I was getting of a tv close up of coughlin every couple of minutes with his whiny, crying, angry shark face. Always whining to some ref... If he was wired, I'd have to mute the TV... nag nag nag

Man I know they are lucky but not even close to cowgirlluck and the ways they have won over the years and the calls they get and .....I could go on and on..luckiest team ever in my opinon. Hell Roger Staubauch (spelling?) could throw it in the 5th row and someone would catch it for a touchdown..look at how many times the ball was loose mon. nite and they recovered and then there was the ALL OUT BLITZcall on 3 and 21.Im getting depressed all over again.

I couldn't say it better. Every point is right on. How can one team be lucky for so long. One year the ball bounces their way you say okay fine but decade after decade. And how about Coughlin when he throws the red flag the only coach that is right 90% of time while the other 31 coaches are lucky if they can sniff 50% reversals. It's a joke. At least they are good for one big meltdown almost yearly which makes up for all their bull**** luck.

They're the luckiest team in the league. Lucky calls, lucky bounces, lucky wins. Media darlings... extra "home" games (Saints displaced played a "home game" in NY... Giants play a "road" game in London)... overrated Eli slurping..... SB run was the luckiest playoff run of all time... and I hate rat faced Coughlin more than anybody else... and I have to live in Giants county.

I disagree with the past 31 posters on this thread. Players can always end the play by going down to the ground and giving themselves up. I've seen it with teams where they are trying to come back and a player will kneel or go down to stop the play so a TO can be called. Furthermore, I don't now why they are saying "non-contact". He was touched by a Cardinals player (albeit 5-10 yards before he went down). I always thought the touch didn't have to be the reason you went down, but if you touched and fell down you were "down by contact". We've seen this on diving interceptions where the WR's legs just happened to graze the DB who gets up and runs with the ball, and its brought back to the spot.

Now, you can't end the play by standing up and spinning the ball ala Vincent Jackson.

If the player falls down and is trying to get up, you can touch him down. But if he goes down on his own power, he's down.

Here it is..

Well thats the proper title for what happened: "victor cruz fumbled, refs blew the giants..."

vincent jackson had a touchdown today on an almost identical play?

EDIT: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011100213/2011/REG4/dolphins@chargers#menu=highlights

In case it doesn't open right on the video, click on the "rivers to jackson"video in the playlist

Been a LONG time since I've seen this call in the NFL.

That last time I saw the "give yourself up" rule called was in Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams went back and slid, hyper-extending his knee and he just dropped the ball. The Broncos wanted the ball as a fumble, but the Refs had ruled that Williams had "given himself up" and the play was dead.

nfl_g_williams_b1_300.jpg

That's funny because the way the Giants were reacting by trying to run the next play as fast as possible it seemed to me they didn't want that play reviewed either. And don't tell me they were trying to get the next play off that fast because of the time remaining in the game because they had plenty of time at that point. He didn't throw himself to the ground. He thought he was down and left the ball there to run to the line for next play.

Yup. A player may throw himself to the ground and the play is dead...thats what the refs saw hence they play was blown dead.

That's funny because the way the Giants were reacting by trying to run the next play as fast as possible it seemed to me they didn't want that play reviewed either. And don't tell me they were trying to get the next play off that fast because of the time remaining in the game because they had plenty of time at that point. He didn't throw himself to the ground. He thought he was down and left the ball there to run to the line for next play.

Dude they went over it in the NBC Pregame to the official rule book says a player can throw himself to the ground and he is down....im not saying thats what Victor Cruz was trying to but im saying thats what the refs saw and its very justifiable the guy was on the ground once ure on the ground if you dont make an act to continue the play u are down and the play is dead..

I am not arguing whether its a rule or not. My problem is if it was the Cardinals player involved in the same scenario on the opposite side they wouldn't have called that bull****. Coughlin did his typical whining and crying all game long especially about the Time Out he thinks he shouldn't have lost and in my opinion that whining and crying got him the benefit of the doubt in that last call. And good for him but it gets annoying after a while watching the Giants get lucky bounces, come down with every jump ball and get calls game after game only to watch their coach cry like a baby after every call against his team.

Dude they went over it in the NBC Pregame to the official rule book says a player can throw himself to the ground and he is down....im not saying thats what Victor Cruz was trying to but im saying thats what the refs saw and its very justifiable the guy was on the ground once ure on the ground if you dont make an act to continue the play u are down and the play is dead..

Horrible call. Something like that happened in 2006 in a Chargers' game where Jackson fell down untouched and tossed the ball. The ball would have been a fumble if he wasnt flagged for an illegal forward pass.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2011 at 08:47 PM ----------

Found the link with an article covering the call. Cant find a highlight video. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2676820

Here is the question though. Had the whistle blown once the player went down? If not, then why was a challenge not allowed?

To me a replay would have clearly shown Cruz did not throw himself to the ground, he stumbled and fell trying to pick up YAC.

An example of a player giving himself up would be a QB sliding to avoid contact.

I watched it a few times and I didn't here a whistle. Obviously I am not on the field so I guess there could have been a whistle but the way the players reacted I doubt there was whistle because he went down and dropped the ball a second later. They couldn't use the excuse that there wasn't a clear recovery so they used the next best thing in the rulebook he gave himself up so Coughlin wouldn't explode in a fit on the sideline.

Here is the question though. Had the whistle blown once the player went down? If not, then why was a challenge not allowed?

To me a replay would have clearly shown Cruz did not throw himself to the ground, he stumbled and fell trying to pick up YAC.

An example of a player giving himself up would be a QB sliding to avoid contact.

Archived