Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marching Band moved down on depth chart?

LadderCrew17

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Bugles are made of brass, the only difference is a traditional bugle doesn't have any valves and therefore has an extremely limited functionality, because most of the "notes" aren't available (think Revelry and Taps).

If you are refering to the horns played in a drum corp, which have valves, the sound may be a bit brigher. But I can assure you that the lack of 'powerfulness' of the Redskins Band trumpets has much more to do with the players than the instruments. The majority of these guys play their horns 4 months out of the year, twice a week (practice and games).

As someone with about 15 years of marching band/drum corps experience, I'd respectfully disagree. Bring your 100-piece marching band. I'll bring a 50-piece corps. We'll play different songs. Yours won't be heard.

As someone with about 15 years of marching band/drum corps experience, I'd respectfully disagree. Bring your 100-piece marching band. I'll bring a 50-piece corps. We'll play different songs. Yours won't be heard.

I think what he meant was that the players themselves don't play very loudly, not particularly the size of the band.

I was in Marching Band and also a marching band instructor and I can't help but wince sometimes when the Redskins band is on the field. A lot of them march with their heads down and just seem poorly coached on how to play and march in a band.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 05:27 PM ----------

I would never not root for the SKins, but if the band went away it would be the final nail in the coffin for my trying to defend Dan Snyder....if he kills the band Im done with him (which is close anyway) That band and that song are historic football Icons....you might as well burn Sonny's jersey at mid field if you get rid of the band....it would just make what is not a fan friendly experience (for some) at FEDEX that much worse.

This is ludicrous. Dan Snyder is not looking for a way to get rid of the marching band. If there is one thing that Daniel Snyder is not guilty of, it's trying to break up the Redskins traditions.

I think what he meant was that the players themselves don't play very loudly, not particularly the size of the band.

I was in Marching Band and also a marching band instructor and I can't help but wince sometimes when the Redskins band is on the field. A lot of them march with their heads down and just seem poorly coached on how to play and march in a band.

Oh, I agree with that entirely. But that's kind of what you get when you have a volunteer group that I'm sure doesn't get to practice a whole lot. I feel the same way: "have some pride, roll your feet, spacing, stick levels, tone, phasing, etc, etc. But then, given the circumstances, you can't expect a junior corps performance.

I'm not exactly sure what you are disagreeing with. If your point is that a DCI drump corp is louder than a college marching band, then yeah of course they are. Those are the best young players in the country. They play loud and they play in tune. But if you are saying that any random military drum and bugle corp is louder than a marching band because they play bugles instead of standard trumpets, then I will tell you that you are absolutely wrong.

By the way, bring your bugle. I'll bring my trumpet. You are the one that won't be heard. :-)

I'm not exactly sure what you are disagreeing with. If your point is that a DCI drump corp is louder than a college marching band, then yeah of course they are. Those are the best young players in the country. They play loud and they play in tune. But if you are saying that any random military drum and bugle corp is louder than a marching band because they play bugles instead of standard trumpets, then I will tell you that you are absolutely wrong.

By the way, bring your bugle. I'll bring my trumpet. You are the one that won't be heard. :-)

You've clearly never heard the Commandant's Own. Or the ignorance of this post would have long ago sunk in.

I do agree that a petition to improve the band is in order. They are one of the best traditions affiliated with this team and deserve to be treated with high honor and accolades. Definitely one of the things that makes going to see a Redskins game different than any other minus maybe the s***birds in Baltimore.

You've clearly never heard the Commandant's Own. Or the ignorance of this post would have long ago sunk in.

LOL. I still really have no idea what point you are trying to make. Of course I've heard the Commadant's Own, a couple times in person actually. They are a fine ensemble. And they wouldn't finish in the top 20 at a DCI competition. But, we're talking about 2 (or 3) different things really.

So again, I really don't understand what your point is, but there was nothing ignorant about my post unless you misunderstood me.

LOL. I still really have no idea what point you are trying to make. Of course I've heard the Commadant's Own, a couple times in person actually. They are a fine ensemble. And they wouldn't finish in the top 20 at a DCI competition. But, we're talking about 2 (or 3) different things really.

So again, I really don't understand what your point is, but there was nothing ignorant about my post unless you misunderstood me.

I was talking about volume, so they can be heard cleanly and clearly in a stadium that size. Any other tangents you witnessed were self-inflicted.

One of my favorite moments on my trips with the team was in Dallas a couple years ago. We were sitting at a table of the big wigs. Those who like Extremeskins and those who hate us. The marketing guys were all there and they are the ones responsible for a lot of the advertising in the game day experience. We were getting pretty drunk and rowdy and they thought it would be amusing to goad a fan into singing Hail to the Redskins. And so I did. And some others joined in. And after the first verse, I stopped and said, "This touchdown brought to you by Eastern Motors and your local TCF bank."

And the half of the table who like ES laughed quite loudly. The marketers all got very quiet, pissed, glared at me and you could see the promise in their eyes, "You are done with this team mister."

I have no faith the guys who run the game day experience actually have a single clue as to how to achieve a positive one.

If the team wins, that's good though :)

......Secondly, being in the band is a major time committment......

.......the powers that be would need to hold auditions each year to determine which part the members are going to play (i.e., who is playing 1st Trombone, 2nd Trombone, etc.) The strongest players need to be on the 1st parts........

I cant believe that people would not leap at the chance if they got free tickets/parking for all home games

Sucks that they are not thinking long term about auditions. It appears that the Band needs new blood.

........The Skins have admitted they are having sound issues at the stadium in the upper decks......
Seems like a Volume AND Timing issue. The band should play a preamble so the Video Guy and the Fans can get the timing down.....
.......I have no faith the guys who run the game day experience actually have a single clue as to how to achieve a positive one.......
That Sucks

Paging Bruce

I hear you Art on the people in charge of game day opps not having a clue about the experience (for those of us not sitting in the suites). Unless someone went to a big football school, or grew up rooting for a team w/ a big band, the signifigance of such may not be an easy grasp.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 05:27 PM ----------

This is ludicrous. Dan Snyder is not looking for a way to get rid of the marching band. If there is one thing that Daniel Snyder is not guilty of, it's trying to break up the Redskins traditions.

I didnt say he was....I said if he ever DID then I would be pissed read more carefully next time....

• 2 months later...

Thought it makes sense to bring this discussion back up again.

Anybody have any insight into why do they not use the band anymore for HTTR?!? Yes, I get it -- the crowd sings more when the words are up on the big screen. But why can't they just put words up and have the band play? The pace of the recorded version is just too slow. What is so difficult about having the band play (as they've done for years and years) and putting words on the screen? It's a mystery to me that no one in the Redskins stadium experience office has figured this out.

Yeah, I couldn't heard them at all on TV.

The marching band is part of what makes this franchise unique. They've provided a service to the Redskins since 1937 and now, it seems like they're being tossed aside. Why do the powers that be want the Redskins to be just another NFL team? Why do they want the FedEx Field experience to be like every other NFL stadium experience? Why do they want us to be so generic?

Honestly, I think they getting everyone used to the recording so they can phase out the band. I've heard directly from a band member that they are making it less and less pleasant to be in the band. The entire game day experience hinges on whether or not "it" makes a buck. The band doesn't and is on the way out.

Yeah, I couldn't heard them at all on TV.

The marching band is part of what makes this franchise unique. They've provided a service to the Redskins since 1937 and now, it seems like they're being tossed aside. Why do the powers that be want the Redskins to be just another NFL team? Why do they want the FedEx Field experience to be like every other NFL stadium experience? Why do they want us to be so generic?

I agree. The marching band is a part of history and a huge tradition. I cannot figure out why the Redskins organization fails to recognize their uniqueness. I understand adjustments maybe have to be made at times. And I'm hopeful that next year things return to normal. But if they are just phasing the band out because they cost money and don't make a buck -- that is just shameful.

Honestly, I think they getting everyone used to the recording so they can phase out the band. I've heard directly from a band member that they are making it less and less pleasant to be in the band. The entire game day experience hinges on whether or not "it" makes a buck. The band doesn't and is on the way out.

That would be a travesty and I have a hard time believing it. That smells of the old regime. That says, nothing surprises me with Danny M!

That's just sad. It seems, though, that Redskins fans (by and large) are fine with that. :(

Archived